2013 Mac Pro specs
New Reply
Subscribe
6strings
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

2013 Mac Pro specs

Analysis of this weeks events and what they mean to us today...

I think it's fairly safe to assume the 2013 Mac Pro will include the following:

-- multiple Thunderbolt ports
-- multiple USB 3.0 ports
-- redesigned, slightly smaller case (see next section)
-- Xeon E5 Sandy Bridge processors

And based on Jon Ive's comments regarding the design of the MacBook Pro Retina, I believe it's also fairly safe to assume the following:

-- loss of Firewire support
-- loss of optical drive bays (also allows for smaller, lighter design)
-- possibly fewer PCI slots due to Thunderbolt replacement "expectations"
-- Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 processors. (I highly doubt that given the blowback Apple's received from the pro community that they'll sit and wait to see if Intel can get Ivy Bridge Xeons out-the-door for a timely 2013 release.)

I seriously doubt Apple will go the route of "Mac Mini Pro" for these. A case suitable for workhorse processors like the Xeons is required, as is the ability to add in pro-level graphic cards for image pros.

Anyway, sound about right? Thoughts? What did I miss?

-----------------
Personally, I plan to pick up a 2012 MP to replace my venerable G5. I have software sitting on the shelf I can't install, and a investment in PCI and Firewire tech I'll need to access until "if and when" Thunderbolt provides affordable alternatives.
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

My prediction is that the number of cores will be much higher than anyone expects due to as-yet unannounced Intel parts with much higher core count.
-synthoid
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
My prediction is that the number of cores will be much higher than anyone expects due to as-yet unannounced Intel parts with much higher core count.
-synthoid
Doubtful. To get a new model out for 2013, they've got to start designing it right now. That means Xeon E5s (6 and 8 core chips, single or dual sockets).

I think a lot of power-user pros will be drooling plenty over the prospect of a 16-core Mac Pro!
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

It will be rack-able, and Xeon based. And 2.5" disks.
6strings
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
And 2.5" disks.
You know, I bet you're right on the money here. This would be an Apple move for sure; Creative a design that looks forward towards a world of SSDs rather than accommodating yesterdays 3.5" spinning hard drives.

Still can't shake this feeling they're going to do something radical for PCI cards as well.
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

It might be safe to assume that the new monitors for the new Macs will be Retina displays as well.

Website - Genetically Modified Music

My Band - Ryst
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

I f u need a computer to work now I can't see waiting a year or two for the next machine. There is always going to be a next machine. IMO, there is no need for thunderbolt in a Mac Pro. PCIe is faster and if you need more PCIe slots the current magma PCIe is stable, proven, and will be cheaper than cutting edge price of thunderbolt peripherals. I can't see why anyone would pay the premium for a Mac Pro and use usb stuff other than mouse/keyboard/midi controller/flash drives.

Basically the last gen Mac Pro can do anything you want in native audio and video and still leave you serious headroom. The new Mac Pro will able to do anything a Pro facility needs. We have six last gen 12 cores and I see no need for thunderbolt, usb3, and the other trinkets that the laptops need to have. Smaller case makes no difference if it's in the machine room.
6strings
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
It might be safe to assume that the new monitors for the new Macs will be Retina displays as well.
Unfortunately for Mac Pro users, Apple only offers (1) very expensive external model. Cheaper Retina options via 3rd-party manufactures will most certainly be available next year.
6strings
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
I f u need a computer to work now I can't see waiting a year or two for the next machine. There is always going to be a next machine. IMO, there is no need for thunderbolt in a Mac Pro.
You'll want Thunderbolt to connect to TB audio interfaces and video gear, etc. Especially when manufacturers stop producing PCI gear as economics of business force them to concentrate on catering to the laptop crowd. However, I do agree that waiting is a bad idea: Thunderbolt adoption is and will continue to be a slow and expensive process.
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

IMO, it will be a highly modular system (connected by Thunderbolt) so that one can mix and match what they need.

That is to say CPU, RAM and GPU in an "xMac" box and PCIe cards in a separate expansion chassis. There will be a separate hard drive caddy with room for six SATA-3 2.5" drives (an optical drive can be fitted here).

It will use Ivy Bridge E5 CPUs (not Sandy Bridge or Haswell) with USB3 & TB. 27" Retina Cinema displays will be jointly released with it.
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
You'll want Thunderbolt to connect to TB audio interfaces and video gear, etc. Especially when manufacturers stop producing PCI gear as economics of business force them to concentrate on catering to the laptop crowd. However, I do agree that waiting is a bad idea: Thunderbolt adoption is and will continue to be a slow and expensive process.
Do you really think that in a pro facility where Apple sees the "Mac Pro" that pro PCIe peripherals will just vanish? ie: Pro Tools HDX PCIe and Nitris DX PCIe boards will still be here and work fine for years to come. Many of us who own or work at Pro facilities know that cutting edge computers is not part of the equation. Many are still running pre-Intel Macs.

For laptops and on-location recording Thunderbolt should be a godsend to give us that PCIe like connection.
6strings
13th June 2012
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Do you really think that in a pro facility where Apple sees the "Mac Pro" that pro PCIe peripherals will just vanish? ie: Pro Tools HDX PCIe and Nitris DX PCIe boards will still be here and work fine for years to come. Many of us who own or work at Pro facilities know that cutting edge computers is not part of the equation. Many are still running pre-Intel Macs.
Right. These facilities will hang on to the old systems forever. But Apple is envisioning what the desktop will be from 2013 onwards (remember, they will have kept the current model design for 10 years! This next design will have to be a good one, cause it'll probably be the last!)

To think like Apple, you have to imagine what the scene will be for the computer workstation of the future. This means:

1. Spinning hard drives are on the way out. Think about a design built around SSD storage.

2. Among the very small niche of pros who use PCI cards, many will certainly be moving towards products like the new Retina MacBook Pro as those products get more powerful and software adapts to take advantage. This will force manufacturers to move in that direction as well (economics: they won't stay in business otherwise). Witness Pro Tools recent move to native support. And UA's Apollo and Satellite interface units. It's only the beginning. PCI-based workstations are being edged out faster than we care to believe. I'm not saying PCI is going away completely, only that the market will be so small (again, thinking like Apple, you need to project out to 2014 and beyond) that Apple may be justified in pushing this tech to an external (3rd party?) enclosure solution.
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Head

Well to be honest Apple is not catering to its pro clients any more it really think it can just drop the iMac on us and expect us to make it are go to system but its not. Also with the more recent model Macbook pro retina I am scared of the possibility of no upgradable ram or drive... (macbook pro retina has neither)

But the scary part is my prediction is that with this new computer they deliberately forcing customers to the thunderbolt and usb 3 interfaces.

If there is no upgradeable drive we need to go thunderbolt and usb3
if we need pcie we need a magma box.
I Have by no means a pro studio but I have put my thousands of hard working dollars into this passion but having a mac pro sitting next to my desk is just as professional as a huge analog console or control surface. I hate to say it but clients really do care about this matterialistic vision of a studio.
But I'm not paying more for a piece of gear that does less.

When I got Pro Tools expert certification it was like joining a gang the only way out was the same way in... in a box.
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
IMO, it will be a highly modular system (connected by Thunderbolt) so that one can mix and match what they need.

That is to say CPU, RAM and GPU in an "xMac" box and PCIe cards in a separate expansion chassis. There will be a separate hard drive caddy with room for six SATA-3 2.5" drives (an optical drive can be fitted here).

It will use Ivy Bridge E5 CPUs (not Sandy Bridge or Haswell) with USB3 & TB. 27" Retina Cinema displays will be jointly released with it.
Exactly this.
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

My guess is that Apple wanted the word from Intel that LGA2011 would survive at least one die shrink so they could design around that socket for a few years without having to gut the design until haswell-e.

From the looks of it, Intel did not give Apple that word. Apple feels that per TDP for their quiet mac pro SBe didn't offer enough of a increase over westmere to make it worth their proprietary design expenses. I would say that's probably true also. Dual 2687w's are too high of TDP for mac pro's, and lesser SBe's aren't much more powerful than Westmere's. Apple will wait for an IBe part (and socket) that get's back down closer to 100w.

Unfortunately, there will only be one generation of IBe before another socket change to Haswell. The smart move for apple would be to make a move to eATX for future boards, but that increases the risk of frankentoshes which they want to avoid.
24th August 2012
Old 24th August 2012
Gear addict

Somebody send me a message when they decide to update. Been waiting forever and gave up.
24th August 2012
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

a 2013 Mac Pro will not exist. When in comes people will immediately say this thing is not a Mac pro. they may use the Mac pro name but it will not be the tower we all love and hope to see updated.

Sent from my LG-P925
24th August 2012
Old 24th August 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Mac Pro is done.

Sorry to inform you of this.
6strings
12th September 2012
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camera View Post
Mac Pro is done.

Sorry to inform you of this.
Great, Thanks! Do you have today's lottery numbers as well?
12th September 2012
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Doubtful. To get a new model out for 2013, they've got to start designing it right now. That means Xeon E5s (6 and 8 core chips, single or dual sockets).

I think a lot of power-user pros will be drooling plenty over the prospect of a 16-core Mac Pro!
Apple has had advanced access when making a MP in the past just like any other vendor (HP, Dell etc) and I see no reason they wouldn't have the same thing now. They've even once or twice had access to Xeons for shipping sku's in larger volume than many others...

Also if they really did hold out until 2013 just to launch E5 Xeons I suspect that's going to really cause a reaction among their 'audience'.
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012

My guess is they they have held off because the new Mac Pros will have no PCIe slots and they are waiting for enough thunderbolt devices to be available of the market before they release.
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydeath View Post
Well to be honest Apple is not catering to its pro clients any more it really think it can just drop the iMac on us and expect us to make it are go to system but its not. Also with the more recent model Macbook pro retina I am scared of the possibility of no upgradable ram or drive... (macbook pro retina has neither)

But the scary part is my prediction is that with this new computer they deliberately forcing customers to the thunderbolt and usb 3 interfaces.

If there is no upgradeable drive we need to go thunderbolt and usb3
if we need pcie we need a magma box.
I Have by no means a pro studio but I have put my thousands of hard working dollars into this passion but having a mac pro sitting next to my desk is just as professional as a huge analog console or control surface. I hate to say it but clients really do care about this matterialistic vision of a studio.
But I'm not paying more for a piece of gear that does less.
First off, I agree that the retina MBP was a load of bull, however, they are not forcing USB 3 and TB interfaces because the USB 3 port is backwards compatible and they have adapters for FW. BTW, Magma boxes are waaay too expensive to be viable. Lastly, you should just make a Hackintosh and throw it in your Mac Pro's case

A: The one with a good musician in front of it!
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

the new Mac pro will be an iMac Pro... the only difference will be it will include 4 or more thunderbolt ports. that's my guess.

Sent from my LG-P925
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear addict

It will probably have 1 or 2 SSD drive slots, and the rest external over TB. They might include the External drive bay, might not. I'd like to see it rack mount-able, though.
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
the new Mac pro will be an iMac Pro... the only difference will be it will include 4 or more thunderbolt ports. that's my guess.
I think that's a good guess.
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattydeath View Post
Well to be honest Apple is not catering to its pro clients
That's the reason why respectable manufacturers whom make products only for Mac are now considering switching to PC... and that's sad

Apple seems to like making products in small cases where CPU, RAM, and stuff get burned or works unreliably

I don't get what's all that hype about small cases etc, I mean, do you prefer having tons of boxes of firewire, thunderbolt, stuff on/under your desk and dozens of cables everywhere instead having a resonably big case that contains all, or most of it, inside of it?

I'm for the second one

And, sorry, but I've used laptops, minis and stuff like that, MIDI drifts, Firewire drifts, CPU drifts

If you use them professionally (not for a recording on location, but for making records) well.. they are quite a pain in the ass (unless obviously you bounce stuff, and use few stuff)

I think the growing availability of presets in synths started to make musicians lazy: they were so amazed at what they could use, they stopped thinking if they should.
(andychamp)

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"
--Scott Adams
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

This is so typical of a "What will the next Mac (insert product name) be?" thread. While the rest of the tech world rushes to release the next big thing, Apple only rushes to get out the next new iphone. Or a bajillion new apps into the app store.

It's all about the money. (as usual)
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear addict

It's all supposition, nothing concrete so it's wasted time IMHO.

You need a MacPro? Buy it now.
You don't need it? Then you can wait, or maybe you can buy now and then resell.

Also, the majority of people who needs a MacPro will be satisfied with the current ones (considering there is still people using G5 or even G4) since they probably have DSP cards too..

What's the point of these "RUMORS"?
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear interested

I already have the Mac pro 2013 in the form of a hackintosh for under half the price. Yes, it does benefit from the slick hardware design of apple. But I went for power and cost.

Specs:
4.6ghz over clocked ivy bridge
16 gigs of ram
2-256 gb ssds (one for scratch disk)
2-2 tb sata drives
I gb nvida cuda grafx card

Does not even blink an eye on heavy tools sessions.

I won't rule going back to apple in the future but it'll a lot harder to sell me on one.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search