2013 Mac Pro specs
#91
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #91
Gear addict
 

At the end of the day ...

Shortly before the iPad tablet went on sale last year, Steven Jobs showed off Apple’s latest creation to a small group of journalists. One asked what consumer and market research Apple had done to guide the development of the new product.

“None,” Mr. Jobs replied. “It isn’t the consumers’ job to know what they want.”
#92
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #92
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
a new MP is a no-brainier to build in the US. It's stupid easy to build a desktop and cheap.
They will have to import every part of the US-build machine from China/ Taiwan. So you have a cost aspect there as well as challenges in the supply chain. Margins on a MacPro (or future MacMini Pro) probably will be enough to justify a move to the US.
#93
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #93
Lives for gear
just to say, have you guys any idea how many video or audio or processing pci-e cards are today used by pros?

do you think those guys will have a desk full of thunderbolt devices all around?

do you think the companies who produce those cards will close just because Apple discontinues the Mac Pro which is the standard computer in audio/video and stuff? Or do you think those companies will produce thunderbolt version of their cards forcing all their client to change cards that costs soooo much? (Maybe they will develop the Thunderbolt version, but the switch will take years.. plus I don't think those pros will be that happy of having Thunderbolt devices all around when they could have them all inside one box)

do you think an apple video card built in in the monitor will satisfy who works with video, graphic and stuff?

I don't know seems everyone consider only his point of view.. you don't need too much power or you don't need expansions etc.. so the Mac Pro line has to go away.. it is obsolete...

guys we already have Mac Mini, if you want a computer like that, you get a Mac Mini and you have what you want

I don't see the purpose in creating "overlapping products" a Mac Pro that's like a Mac Mini.. as I don't see the purpose in making a Mac Book Pro that's like a Mac Book Air..

People who want a Mac Book Pro want a laptop with a lot of performance, solidly built that you can take it with you in the forest (I know many photographers who use it in these kind of conditions) and be sure that if falls it won't break... and at the same time that's upgradeable if you need more (and I think that's the reason why Apple still has the normal Mac Book.. maybe is figuring out a way to make the new retinal upgradeable because I'm hearing every day many pros who would buy it but they don't because of these reasons)

And also, all the pros I know who use portable extensively, need 2 and usually more batteries to use it all day everywhere.

I don't see any point in overlapping products because they steal sales to the other similar product and because don't satisfy all the users

I think Apple is great if keeps a model for any kind of user, few models, like has ever been, but tuned for different needs

Who's the pro who cares about the dimension of is computer? Usually they have a room for computers or a dedicated space in the room.. if it is smaller.. they wouldn't care.. but if, because it is smaller.. it will fry components in a year or two.. they will surely be pissed off because their investment isn't an investment.. it more like buying pop corn, very expensive pop corn
#94
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #94
Gear addict
 
Mr. Wilson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
They will have to import every part of the US-build machine from China/ Taiwan. So you have a cost aspect there as well as challenges in the supply chain. Margins on a MacPro (or future MacMini Pro) probably will be enough to justify a move to the US.
Almost every part of a desktop since the mid '90's has been fabbed in Asia. It costs a lot less to ship boatloads (literally) of mobos, ram, CPU, coolers and PS unassembled than assembled. The heaviest and most costly part in a desktop is the case....which Apple could fab in the states and save $ since it could be done with a CNC setup. CNC is an area that the US workforce can at least still do competitively, not to mention the accessability of aluminum. I imagine Foxconn would think this way since the setup and training is easier. The sub miniaturization of the twiddly tech bits and dealing with them is where the US has fallen behind.
#95
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #95
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
If one thing has been a constant factor in newly released products by Apple through the years, it is the fact that they never cared about the comptability with previously released devices.
#96
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #96
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
just to say, have you guys any idea how many video or audio or processing pci-e cards are today used by pros?
do you think those guys will have a desk full of thunderbolt devices all around?
We have to wait and see what Apple comes up with. But given the very small percentage of pro users who need card slots it is possible we will see smaller Xeon-based pro Macs that have optional breakout boxes to hold cards... assuming Apple does interesting things with interconnect expansion.

Current copper Thunderbolt cables offer theoretical speeds up to 10Gbs but are limited to half that with Intel's support of the PCIe 2.0 standard. PCI 3.0 raises speeds to 8Gbps over copper, and Intel announced last Spring that was working on moving Thunderbolt to the PCI Express 3.0 standard. But currently Thunderbolt 'only' offers 1.25 GBs of bandwidth, which is about the speed of a single PCI card.

Now what if Apple is working on its own super fast optical-based PCIe 3.0/4.0 variant with improved bandwidth along the lines of Infiniband or HyperTransport, which are 30x-50x faster? Apple bought the chip design company PA Semiconductor in 2008 for $280 million, and that division has made custom silicon for Apple, most notably for the newer iPads. What if the new pro machines included Apple-tech optical interconnects at speeds and bandwidths that no other consumer-priced PC could touch? Theoretically, completely optical Thunderbolt cables can scale to 100Gbps, which could let them handle the throughput of multiple cards. Or even plugin GPUs. It could allow for desktop supercomputers that transparently scale and run (an easily programmable) consumer OS....

Wild, wild speculation, of course... but what else is this thread about? I have no doubt that Apple's skunkworks labs have optical interconnect experiments, but what if Apple leapfrogs the proposed PCIe 4.0 specs (which won't be finalized for another 2-3 years) with a shipping pro product?
#97
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #97
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
We have to wait and see what Apple comes up with.
Well, I love Thunderbolt, I love innovation, what I'm saying is just that this "very few" people who need a Mac Pro are "very few" compared to iPad owners, or iMac, Mac Books and so on.

Because most of the people in the world use computer for toying with internet or playing games and stuff like that. I've nothing against that.

Still, Apple become Apple because of PROs, tuning computer around the most demanding people in the world and then stepping it down for consumers who has less or different needs. Apple reputation comes from all that.

What scares me is that, if you go in the Apple forum, you see just consumer, as it has to be... but.. if, for example, you're looking for a solution to avoid the "error message" of iTunes because the computer you are using is not connected to the internet.. they look at you as a mad guy... "who's in 2012 not connected to the internet!!?".. they laugh at you!

Actually I just ask to be respected, I've MANY reasons why I don't want to have the computer I work with connected to the DAW and I don't even have to explain that to you because the use you do with a computer is not influenced by the internet connection (except in the opposite way)

So, I'm a bit tired of seeing Apple ONLY considering the consumer users, I've nothing against them and nothing against Apple consumer products. We have 1, actually 2, computer that Apple does for PROs (even though the Mac Book isn't pro, not because of its performance, but because of its "inflexibility") they have "PRO" written in the name, so at least these.. leave these for PROs, just these and do what PROs ask you.

If other guys want to mix with an iMac and it is ok for them, no problem, what's the problem!? No problem at all.. but please.. let my next Mac Pro be a New Mac Pro.. don't force me to get a last series Mac Pro used.

(I say me, but I intend all people like me that KNOWS for what reasons a Mac Pro is preferable for doing certain things)

Otherwise the draw back will be that PROs will use very expensive custom computer, so only the really BIG PROs will be able to afford them.. a Mac Pro, even though is very pricey.. is an "Ultrapowerful Democratic Workstation" so even a Pro that works in a smaller market or in a less fortunate country, can have a real beast running OSX

I'm saying that because I've had some email exchange with some manufacturer of stuff I have that works only for Mac, that are considering making drivers for Windows for the reasons I stated, because they foresee a big leap of people who will returns to Windows if Apple continues with that policy of "closed computers" that born in a way and cannot be changed except, in certain cases, from Apple Centers who ask you a fortune just for an SSD drive (plus in my country all Apple Centers I dealt with tried to screw me many times, for that reason I've learnt to repair my macs myself)
#98
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #98
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Apple become Apple because of PROs
Steve Jobs saved Apple with consumer products like the iPod and the iMac, not pro products. It 'became' Apple with the Apple// line of home computers, not pro gear. It's first pro product was the Apple /// which was a flop. It's next pro product was the $8,000 Lisa computer which also flopped.

Quote:
I've had some email exchange with some manufacturer of stuff I have that works only for Mac, that are considering making drivers for Windows for the reasons I stated, because they foresee a big leap of people who will returns to Windows if Apple continues with that policy of "closed computers"


Doing a quick Googlie, according to IDC, in the first quarter of this year, in the USA Mac shipments grew by 27.7% while the PC market shrank by 1.2% year-on-year. In Europe, they grew 10% against a PC market down 17.5%; in Asia up 69.4% (v PC market up 8.8%); in Japan, up 21.1% (PCs down 16.1%). Shipments to business were up by 66% (while the overall market grew 4.5%); to government by 155.6% (v 2.3%); to the home market by 21.6% (v a 6.5% shrinkage)



In the USA Overall, Apple remained the top individual vendor with 14.6% share, followed by HP with 14.1% and Lenovo in third at 10.7%. Dell just barely managed to beat Acer with 9% vs. 8.9%.
#99
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #99
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Steve Jobs saved Apple with consumer products like the iPod and the iMac, not pro products.
Man I know this basic stuff, as I said I worked for Apple for 3 years and I use Apple since 2002 (which is a lot considering I'm still quite young)

What you interpreted wasn't what I meant.. You are telling me the reasons why Apple has survived. I'm telling you the reasons why Apple IS Apple.

What means Apple to the world?
Some of the most innovative products (has win some prize for that right?) and most reliable products and for a design that communicates this. Meaning a design at level and that communicates what it offers.

All that has been done by consumers? No, all that has been possible, citing Steve Jobs "thanks to the Next Computer and the Pixar experience" and before and after that, dealing with pros (specially in audio, video, graphic, innovation and education) who couldn't get, from Windows based computer, what they needed.

Is it that clear now?
#100
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #100
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Man I know this basic stuff, as I said I worked for Apple for 3 years and I use Apple since 2002 (which is a lot considering I'm still quite young)
I've used Apple gear since 1978, and I'm still quite young at heart

Quote:
You are telling me the reasons why Apple has survived. I'm telling you the reasons why Apple IS Apple.
And I'm saying I disagree completely. And based on the real sales I noted above (and Apple's continued growth in marketshare while the PC market itself is stagnating or constricting) then any vendors who "foresee a big leap of people who will returns to Windows if Apple continues with that policy of "closed computers" are probably smoking something pretty interesting.
#101
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #101
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

The graphs about are total sales right? The Apple share will probably continue to expand. "Pro's" (audio, video, others) are a small portion of those totals, and they could possible massively move towards PC. Apple might not care much any more. Corporate strategies do change....
#102
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
  #102
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
And I'm saying I disagree completely.
Cool, but I don't understand why.

Quote:
And based on the real sales I noted above (and Apple's continued growth in marketshare while the PC market itself is stagnating or constricting) then any vendors who "foresee a big leap of people who will returns to Windows if Apple continues with that policy of "closed computers" are probably smoking something pretty interesting.
I wasn't talking about "people" I was talking about PRO and I was talking only about PRO computers.

If Apple want to say goodbye to pro users, no problem, just take of the PRO name and do only the consumer stuff.. I say those people will leave and the mail exchange I was talking about was exclusively about PRO users, not the others.

BTW there's no problem, consumers product sell more because we are 7 billion of people and just, maybe 1 million of pros in the world or less.. I don't know.

That's math, if you want to follow the math then I propose Apple to turn iTunes, Apple TV and stuff like that, in a PORN video shop and transform the iPhone in iPorn or iDildo and stuff like that... if you put PORN in Prime Time on the TV you'll surely sell more!

I've no problem with that.

edit: oh, BTW, the thing you completely disagree with me you are actually disagreeing with Apple because Apple trained me and the other people with me, to sell computer based on that concept I described when I was talking about what Apple IS and thanks to that concept I increased the sales from 1 computer at month (if they were lucky) to a peak of 100 a weak, just to say
#103
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #103
Lives for gear
 

As to the video editing, current Mac Pro's spec is not really Pro spec because the GPU they are selling are still Radeon 5000 series GDDR5 1GB RAM, which doesn't help current requirement of full HD video rendering very much. I had a Mac user friend, primarily using Adobe Premier/After effects and wanted big numbers of CUDA cores or stream processors to help reduce rendering time. He asked me if he can install cards like GTX690 or Radeon 7990 to current Mac Pro, but the Mac Pro's PCIe slots are still version 2.0 standard, so I suggested not to go that route. I showed him my Vegas Pro's rendering time with i7 3820, with nvidia GTX680 card, and suggested building a Hackintosh using motherboard/CPU that has PCIe 3.0 capacity. He said that's too much of a hassle, and immediately switched to Win 7 64 PC, which I put together for him. He's not in love with OSX anyway, but just needed his tool (Premier) to work more efficiently and fast. As long as the work flow of Premier, it didn't change much (except for a few keyboard shortcuts), so he's very happy with the change. He now has Grass Valley Edius and even happier.

I believe similar stories are around video editors. Unless the next Mac Pro comes with a big form factor, those people will stay with PC and won't come back.
#104
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #104
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

PCIe cards don't have to be converted to TB. TB is just the pipeline. And if they do modular correctly there won't be boxes all over the place. A good design will allow for a neat and tidy arrangement, but customizable by the user, which is the nature of the pro market - each user is unique.

You buy the components you need and they all fit together accordingly not scattered all over. It's not hard to imagine how it could be done. Modularity also may lend itself to greater portability more than one giant box that will only get partially used.

Quote:
do you think the companies who produce those cards will close just because Apple discontinues the Mac Pro which is the standard computer in audio/video and stuff? Or do you think those companies will produce thunderbolt version of their cards forcing all their client to change cards that costs soooo much? (Maybe they will develop the Thunderbolt version, but the switch will take years.. plus I don't think those pros will be that happy of having Thunderbolt devices all around when they could have them all inside one box)
#105
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #105
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
I showed him my Vegas Pro's rendering time with i7 3820
And your machine cost probably half of what an equavalent MacPro would have....
#106
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #106
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
I believe similar stories are around video editors. Unless the next Mac Pro comes with a big form factor, those people will stay with PC and won't come back.
I totally agree with your example and conclusion. That's why I hope in a seriously upgraded Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
PCIe cards don't have to be converted to TB. TB is just the pipeline. And if they do modular correctly there won't be boxes all over the place. A good design will allow for a neat and tidy arrangement, but customizable by the user, which is the nature of the pro market - each user is unique.

You buy the components you need and they all fit together accordingly not scattered all over. It's not hard to imagine how it could be done. Modularity also may lend itself to greater portability more than one giant box that will only get partially used.
Yeah and if this box costs 1000 euros or more to put a card that costs 700 hundred... uhm.... funny huh?

The Magma 7u doesn't cost 3.700 dollars? And the smaller one 2.600... huh.. I get another Mac Pro huh.. funny...

Quote:
And your machine cost probably half of what an equavalent MacPro would have....
Yeah.. but probably won't live 7 years in the shape of mine.. which I think will last 15 years or more still doing what it can do now (obviously not updating the software.. but, you know.. there are guys still using PT 2 or stuff like that, in the studios) plus Windows drives me crazy (but that's a personal thing, even though I used windows for 12 years) and crashes everything (even though I know how to tune it).. my Mac Pro tuned properly doesn't crash, I don't remember the last time, and when happened was because I was using shitty interfaces with shitty drivers (like the M-audio Profire 2626 just to be able to use PT with another interface)
#107
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

Quote:
Yeah and if this box costs 1000 euros or more to put a card that costs 700 hundred... uhm.... funny huh?

The Magma 7u doesn't cost 3.700 dollars? And the smaller one 2.600... huh.. I get another Mac Pro huh.. funny...
Well, Magma has had a captive market for a while, so they can keep their prices stupid high - supply and demand. If Apple does it, it won't have to be that outrageously expensive.
#108
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #108
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Well, Magma has had a captive market for a while, so they can keep their prices stupid high - supply and demand. If Apple does it, it won't have to be that outrageously expensive.
Yeah, I asked to a friend (time ago) who works with PC he said a Magma like thing would cost to him around 200 euros to build it with the same quality level

But.. that's why I said 1000 euros... I doubt Apple will ask less.. but even if it is 500 hundreds, man.. Why I have to invest 2500 euros plus 500.. plus the CD/DVD player.. they still get me the mouse? LOL I get a Mac Mini for that amount or an iPad :P

If Apple drops the MP at 2000 or includes that thing.. then I could agree
But still I don't see why PROs would care to have a ultrasmall pro..? It has to stay in a place all the time, put it behind the desk, you won't even see it :P
#109
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #109
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

If they're smart, they'll make it in such a way that it can be rack mountable.

But don't complain about prices that don't exist yet! Let's wait and see before we bitch.
#110
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #110
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
If they're smart, they'll make it in such a way that it can be rack mountable.

But don't complain about prices that don't exist yet! Let's wait and see before we bitch.
Yeah, mine were just speculations, as yours.. (specially considering all Macs prices are a bit increased with the new models) I'm much more worried to the heating thing.. it's unbelievable.. I see so many Mac Book and iMacs destroyed by the heat.. even the display....maaaan.. those things costed a fortune (I mean even 27 top of the line iMacs, stellar Mac Book Pros..) even as a Mac Pro.. and they got burned in 1 or 2 years in certain cases........ STOP DOING IT TOO SMALL IF THERE ISN'T YET THE TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE TO MAKE THEM RELIABLE TOO! Otherwise I get the shittiest PC if I have to change it, or to repair it, after 2 years! Oh my god Windows please spare me :PPP (my audio interface also doesn't work for win and I love it too much to change it :-S)
#111
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #111
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, mine were just speculations, as yours.. (specially considering all Macs prices are a bit increased with the new models) I'm much more worried to the heating thing.. it's unbelievable.. I see so many Mac Book and iMacs destroyed by the heat.. even the display....maaaan.. those things costed a fortune (I mean even 27 top of the line iMacs, stellar Mac Book Pros..) even as a Mac Pro.. and they got burned in 1 or 2 years in certain cases........ STOP DOING IT TOO SMALL IF THERE ISN'T YET THE TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE TO MAKE THEM RELIABLE TOO! Otherwise I get the shittiest PC if I have to change it, or to repair it, after 2 years! Oh my god Windows please spare me :PPP (my audio interface also doesn't work for win and I love it too much to change it :-S)
Yes I agree, I had a relatively new MBA fried because the battery started leaking and then sort of exploded inside the case. The enclosure was disfunctional after that.
#112
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #112
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah.. but probably won't live 7 years in the shape of mine.. which I think will last 15 years or more still doing what it can do now (obviously not updating the software.. but, you know.. there are guys still using PT 2 or stuff like that, in the studios) plus Windows drives me crazy (but that's a personal thing, even though I used windows for 12 years) and crashes everything (even though I know how to tune it).. my Mac Pro tuned properly doesn't crash, I don't remember the last time, and when happened was because I was using shitty interfaces with shitty drivers (like the M-audio Profire 2626 just to be able to use PT with another interface)
It has nothing to do with the OS but with the build quality and component tweaking. Apple is a turnkey supplier with an appropriate price tag. Get a good system from a turnkey Windows workstation vendor and you'll have the same fun for years.
Cheap interfaces with bad drivers are available for both platforms, ANY OS requires decent drivers and software. Just because I had 2 powerbooks with components crapping out doesn't mean everything they ever built is crap, correct?
#113
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #113
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
He merely said that there would be "something really special" for pro users "later" in 2013.
His precise words were, "Although we didn't have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today's event, don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year"
#114
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #114
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
If they're smart, they'll make it in such a way that it can be rack mountable.
The mini is mountable with 3rd party hardware, so is the current Mac Pro, albeit in an ungainly fashion. They offered the rackmount XServe until 2011 but sales were miniscule so they killed it, and so I'd bet that Apple will continue to rely on 3rd party manufacturers to offer rackability to any new pro product.
#115
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #115
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well, I love Thunderbolt, I love innovation, what I'm saying is just that this "very few" people who need a Mac Pro are "very few" compared to iPad owners, or iMac, Mac Books and so on.
Maybe that will have no relevance in the future. What if Apple made MacPros which allowed you to buy and insert modules with more cores when you need them? And what if these modules were ARM based? And what if you could link your Mac Pros with your quad core iPads or Mac Books or minis when you need to?

In such a case, all the focus on chip development and small/powerful/energy savvy/not-a-lot-of heat-generating consumer devices would benefit all the pro users directly. What if some future generation of Mac Pro will be both based on ARM/Apple chips and on "iOs Pro"?

I have a simple, dual core smart-TV, but there are smarter smart-TVs out there, today, which lets users add more computing power by expanding them with small modules. If TVs can do it, Macs can potentially do it too.
#116
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #116
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
...we didn't have a chance to talk about....
Yeah right, like he didn't have time to talk about what he wanted to talk about?

That's amateur corporate communication imo. Might has well as flipped us off.

It might be time for Apple & Pro-audio to go their separate ways !
#117
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #117
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
It might be time for Apple & Pro-audio to go their separate ways !
Unlikely - I know that they have been hiring new people lately, but read somewhere today that their pro audio team consists of 60 people, which (if it's correct) is more than I would have imagined.
#118
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #118
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
And what if you could link your Mac Pros with your quad core iPads or Mac Books or minis when you need to?
Now you're thinking like an Apple man.

A (single sector) company thrives by developing "tools" for that sector (pro-audio, for a Pro-audio company)

A maxi-conglomerate (Apple) thrives by drawing consumers into closed systems and getting the most money from them.

Last edited by jamwerks; 31st December 2012 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Spelling
#119
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #119
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Now you're thing like an Apple man.
Please don't say that - there's a guy here who already 'accuses' me for being an Apple employee - don't nurture him!:-) I'm not, and if I were, this would have been bad news for Apple.... :-)

Apple already has the coded needed to daisy chain the power of several Macs (Logic's Node-technology). I wouldn't be surprised if this part of Logic at some point would be entirely moved to the OS, especially if future Macs (and OS devices) all could be daisy-chained optically (with Thunderbolt II, LightPeak or similar).

But just like Apple sometimes tries out new ideas on low end product, maybe we'll see such ideas if they materialised, implemented in a simpler context: They could, for instance, sell monitors with an iOs slot int them, allowing the monitor both to be used as a regular monitor and as a large screen for the computing power in your cell phone. There's actually dozens of fun things Apple hasn't done yet. I think 2013 will be an exciting year.
#120
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
  #120
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
That's amateur corporate communication imo. Might has well as flipped us off.
No, that's a polite way of answering a question (which he didn't have to do) as best as he could without revealing or pre-announcing a product a year away.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
grkmetlhed / So much gear, so little time!
1
TonyBelmont / Music Computers
230
kieran kelly / Music Computers
4
Gear Tramp / Music Computers
9

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.