2013 Mac Pro specs
New Reply
Subscribe
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
True but my statement that a mac pro with thunderbolt would make it a z77/87 still stands. Hopefully intel expands thunderbolt so that it only runs off of the CPU and not the GPU within. If there is a dedicated GPU then it can access it for displays... this would also make it easy to release a pciex8 card with 2 thunderbolt ports minus display support. Then everyone could have thunderbolt possibly, in theory.
You're correct there, the current Xeon chipsets only support IGP on the midrange quadcore equivalents to the mainstream socket LGA-1155 chips. There are no E3 Xeons with IGP that support TB either afaik, but those wouldn't be in Apple's plans for a Mac Pro anyway.
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Gear Head

As Apple seem to think that removing optical drives are the way forward, I assume there will be a suitably fast external option as what about those of us with samples on discs or getting disks to clients, I don't think they have thought this through very well. Hard copies will sometimes be wanted, or sending albums off to pressing plants etc... I would miss the optical drive I think.
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
The iMac is their flagship line and is in higher demand so it makes sense to leave its overseas production in place. Also if Apple is waiting fr the Ivy Bridge Xeons, we will be waiting till Q3, which gives them time to get things setup and bugs worked out
I don't know. I see the Mac Pro being phased out either very soon or in a couple years. Why ramp up just for that unless they plan on adding more products to the USA build list.
7th December 2012
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsandImages View Post
As Apple seem to think that removing optical drives are the way forward, I assume there will be a suitably fast external option as what about those of us with samples on discs or getting disks to clients, I don't think they have thought this through very well. Hard copies will sometimes be wanted, or sending albums off to pressing plants etc... I would miss the optical drive I think.
When alternatives to online download are needed or desired,
Distribution on usb sticks instead of optical ....
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
1. Tim Cook said "one line" of macs would be built in the US next year. Clearly, this is in response to customer demand, so it will most likely be a popular consumer model, rather than a niche. (Better press coverage).
Yes, you're correct. The Mac Mini 2013, not Mac Pro, will be built at one of 15 FoxConn USA factories.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Well after giving it some thought I dont think a mac pro would need TB anyways. I guess a USB3 capable pro tower would be great. Also expans the drive bays from 4 to 6 or even 8. With drive bays users shouldn't even need TB drives.

I just don't think a new pro model has enough prophet to gain. I believe Apple feels the same way. Maybe Apple will just release OS X86 and have their own official list of supported hardware.

I guess at this point the only thing left to do is wait. If a Mac Pro is announced one side will say I told you so and vice versa. If an official Apple OS X86 was announced I think it would be safe to say both sides would be in shock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Tim Cook has confirmed a 2013 Mac Pro. Rumor has it that it will be manufactured in the USA. Apple has announced a new US factory with 200 employees that will have the capability to produce 1 million units per year.

As far as Thunderbolt, from what I understand, a Thunderbolt equipped Xeon motherboard isn't supported by the latest chipset, and probably will not be until 2014.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Tim Cook has confirmed a 2013 Mac Pro. Rumor has it that it will be manufactured in the USA. Apple has announced a new US factory with 200 employees that will have the capability to produce 1 million units per year.

As far as Thunderbolt, from what I understand, a Thunderbolt equipped Xeon motherboard isn't supported by the latest chipset, and probably will not be until 2014.
Finally. Great news. Where have you found it? Link please :P

If Apple stops making Mac Pro I'll stop using Mac.. I need something that actually dissipate the heat, otherwise the Mac I had that didn't do that well, were very unreliable and ended up to be too costly to maintain... plus performances fall apart after 1 and half/2 years... the Mac Pro is here up an running, never gave me problems of any sort (except the USB/Firewire bus was probably buggy in the first model, but fixed on the next ones)

So, you know, after almost 7 years.. a computer that runs like new, to me means it is worthy every cent

I think the growing availability of presets in synths started to make musicians lazy: they were so amazed at what they could use, they stopped thinking if they should.
(andychamp)

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"
--Scott Adams
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Given the limited use of the MacPro by pro users, I think Apple will create a modular design that doesn't need to be revamped every year. That way they can just update modules as new technology dictates, either internally or externally.

By being modular, everyone can customize their setup according to their specific needs instead of trying to make one box to satisfy everyone. That's the real "pro" approach vs consumers. And Apple then doesn't have to spend much time or resources to keep it up to date. That's a potential win/win situation.

One box for the main HD and cores and RAM, one box for PCIe card users, one box for HDs/RAIDs, etc. Could be rack mountable or some new innovative stacking setup - think like Jonny Ive.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:

Mac Mini will be produced in USA, no word on MP. Personally I don't see any market for a new MP as long as they make the Mac Mini as powerful as the Mac Pro (especially 12 cores, 64Gb RAM). Probably meaning a somewhat larger casing than the current Mini. All your peripherals beyond a few USB ports etc. you are to assign to an external Thunderbolt interface. So in that sense it becomes modular, I don't believe we will see a one-in-all casing anymore like the current model. Wouldn't mind such a machine.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

There are people who will need bigger machines which they can adapt to their needs. All the other thingies from Apple aren't very adaptable, even if Thunderbolt is there it's a bit of a crutch.
Whatever the new mac pro's are going to be.. let's hope they beat a hackintosh. For now, you can build a 400$ machine that runs circles around the current mac pro's. If you know what you do. Or know a retailer that does.
I got an offer and I could have it tailor made to my needs, including number and type of connectivity, FW, USB, PCI, PCIx, TB, etc.etc.etc. and whatnot. If I'd give a toss, that is.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
There are people who will need bigger machines which they can adapt to their needs. All the other thingies from Apple aren't very adaptable, even if Thunderbolt is there it's a bit of a crutch.
Whatever the new mac pro's are going to be.. let's hope they beat a hackintosh. For now, you can build a 400$ machine that runs circles around the current mac pro's. If you know what you do. Or know a retailer that does.
I got an offer and I could have it tailor made to my needs, including number and type of connectivity, FW, USB, PCI, PCIx, TB, etc.etc.etc. and whatnot. If I'd give a toss, that is.
The funny thing about Thunderbolt is (even though I consider is a great invention! I'd love to have a Thunderbolt midi interface :P)... Steve Jobs hated wires, any kind. So he removed all the wires he could... and he started making computer so small... that in the end, if you need something more (and I think for us it will always be the case) you don't have space in the computer so you put wires here and there to connect stuff you'll have over, under, around your desk pissing you off every time you need to reach or to move something :P

I don't know, I love wire, wireless stuff gives me health problems and I love big computers very well ventilated and well conceived to run well no matter what (my MacBook running audio software, with the fans always working, adds significantly jitter on the midi and also audio, I've done some tests to see if it was only in my head) and to be reliable
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

I hope the xServer is built in the US and the Mac Mini is thrown out the window. The Mac Mini is only for server users and pro users who don't need the strength of a Mac Pro; people who want a cheap Mac are usually looking for an all-in-one solution like the iMac or MacBook Air.

Edit: Hopes and dreams, so far away.

A: The one with a good musician in front of it!

Last edited by Bunjji; 29th December 2012 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: I'm not delusional
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Mac Mini will be produced in USA, no word on MP. Personally I don't see any market for a new MP as long as they make the Mac Mini as powerful as the Mac Pro (especially 12 cores, 64Gb RAM). Probably meaning a somewhat larger casing than the current Mini. All your peripherals beyond a few USB ports etc. you are to assign to an external Thunderbolt interface. So in that sense it becomes modular, I don't believe we will see a one-in-all casing anymore like the current model. Wouldn't mind such a machine.
Cook had said one product line would be made in the US to test the waters. Originally, rumors were that it would be the Mini, but the rumor has shifted to the Mac Pro, as the new factory being built seems to fit the volume of the Pro.

Anyway, Apple is quite secretive, and we will not know much of anything until it actually happens, but as for a thunderbolt, I think it's pretty clear that any 2013 Xeon based Mac Pro will not have it, because the hardware does not exist.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Cook had said one product line would be made in the US to test the waters. Originally, rumors were that it would be the Mini, but the rumor has shifted to the Mac Pro, as the new factory being built seems to fit the volume of the Pro.

Anyway, Apple is quite secretive, and we will not know much of anything until it actually happens, but as for a thunderbolt, I think it's pretty clear that any 2013 Xeon based Mac Pro will not have it, because the hardware does not exist.
Rumor: Apple to bring Mac mini production to U.S. in 2013
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, and I can post links to cultofmac.com and macrumors.com that are saying the MacPro will be made in the US. But do we really need to play that game?

I believe the MacMini rumors are saying that it will be produced by FoxConn for Apple, and FoxConn may be moving factories to the US. But the reason the Mac Pro is also a heavy favorite for US manufacturing is its size and weight, where producing it in the US would considerably reduce shipping costs.

Cook did say one line would be manufactured ENTIRELY in the US, and the reason the Pro and Mini are contenders is that they are the only models that sell under a million units a year. But from a logistics standpoint, the Pro would certainly be the logical choice.

But seriously, I don't really care where the Pro is manufactured. My Chinese built 2008 Pro has been running non stop for nearly 5 years. Chinese QC is not a concern.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

I think its great they are moving some production back to the us. I would buy 100% usa made if I could.

Cheap is more expensive.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, and I can post links to cultofmac.com and macrumors.com that are saying the MacPro will be made in the US. But do we really need to play that game?
No but you stated Tim Cook CONFIRMED that rumor and I haven't found nothing about that.

BTW makes sense to me to that it would be the Mac Pro, or at least that would be the logical choice, also because the only one who will valuate that "made in USA" choice are the "pro users" because they know what jSt0rm says down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
I think its great they are moving some production back to the us. I would buy 100% usa made if I could.

Cheap is more expensive.
I totally agree!! (7 years this Mac Pro is running and never changed anything :P it's like new!)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tim Cook has confirmed a 2013 Mac Pro.
Cook has not confirmed a 2013 "Mac Pro." He merely said that there would be "something really special" for pro users "later" in 2013. A "Mac Pro" is obsolete in today's era with consumer i7's giving a similar performance spec as commercial Xeons (Westmere), not to mention the data throughput of Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 etc.

The smart money is on some type of modular "xMac" (ie enlarged Mac Mini) with a few 2.5" bays, no optical drive, Sandy or Ivy Bridge Xeons, 1666Mhz RAM, SATA 3, native USB 3.0 and *possibly* Thunderbolt interconnects for external PCIe graphics and accelerator expansion chassis.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
No he did not. He merely said that there would be "something really special" for pro users "later" in 2013. A "Mac Pro" is obsolete in today's era with consumer i7's giving a similar performance spec as commercial Xeons (Westmere), not to mention the data throughput of Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 etc.

The smart money is on some type of modular "xMac" with a few 2.5" bays, no optical drive, Sandy or Ivy Bridge Xeons, 1666Mhz RAM, SATA 3, native USB 3.0 and *possibly* Thunderbolt interconnects for external PCIe graphics and accelerator expansion chassis.
A Mini Pro? I'd be happy with something that's the size of a Shuttle kit, with slightly better connectivity than the Mini, like two Thunderbolts, FW800, USB3, etc. Not really bothered by lack of optical; I can pull out an external the two times a year I need one.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No he did not.
Sorry I read fast.. and I misunderstood

Quote:
A "Mac Pro" is obsolete in today's era with consumer i7's giving a similar performance spec as commercial Xeons (Westmere), not to mention the data throughput of Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 etc.
Well, that's your opinion, I find many reasons why for me it isn't obsolete
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Sorry I read fast.. and I misunderstood

Well, that's your opinion, I find many reasons why for me it isn't obsolete
Me too. Still rocking my 2008 8-core which is hardly obsolete in my studio! Hope to get another 5 years out of it. The bloody thing is unstoppable.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixtree Audio View Post
Me too. Still rocking my 2008 8-core which is hardly obsolete in my studio! Hope to get another 5 years out of it. The bloody thing is unstoppable.
That's the thing, I never owned nor known other people whom use "compact macs" intensively for more than 1 or 2 years without having problems.. without burning something or things like that.. yeah they are cool because are small, but you can't have everything.

I like to have a portable Mac (either laptop, iMac or Mini) to take it with me, but on the studio I need something I know it will always be there and do what I ask every time I ask and as it is suppose to do it
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

I'll be in the market for a new mac by about march 2013. I'm hoping for the modular system!

Fingers crossed!

Everything I said is just my 0.02 cents and not to be taken too seriously! I don't mean any harm, even if I inadvertently caused some!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I too am thinking that the MacPro line is discontinued. I forsee something along the lines of a larger Macmini. Monitors will house their own video cards. Storage will also be external through TB. Apple would save around 50-100$ per unit on reduced shipping cost (less weight).

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple put our a Logic X in the coming weeks, and then announced 2 months later an exit from pro audio and video (and pro cpu's). On the other hand Logic & FCP does assure them a great Garage Band & Imovie, which will always be important to them imo.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Garage Band and iMovie are Apple's way of getting young kids and hobbyists to buy into their eco-system of hardware/software, and that's the best way to get those people to migrate up to Logic/FCP if/when they want more. It's bait for future sales and brand commitment.

Apple has re-thought every product and it's now time for a new concept MacPro and given the nature of the market for the MP, it almost certainly will be modular to allow full customization for each unique pro user. Nothing else makes as much sense. That pro user-base will expand from early adopters of software like GB and iMovie. It's a brilliant strategy.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
I'm hoping for the modular system!
It makes sense. It can be all things to all people. If you're in audio, why pay or use space for PCIe slots that you don't need (if onboard graphics is fine)? If you're in video, and need RAID (unlike audio), why pay or use space for internal SATA slots when you have an outboard Thunderbolt storage array?

A 45 pound, air-cooled, tower is a very 1990s platform. It was made for the days of SCSI not USB 3 & Thunderbolt. In 2015, we'll probably be storing and launching DAWs from The Cloud. A "Mac Pro" will just be a WIFI keyboard network appliance. The Cloud will be the computer.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
It makes sense. It can be all things to all people. If you're in audio, why pay or use space for PCIe slots that you don't need (if onboard graphics is fine)? If you're in video, and need RAID (unlike audio), why pay or use space for internal SATA slots when you have an outboard Thunderbolt storage array?

A 45 pound, air-cooled, tower is a very 1990s platform. It was made for the days of SCSI not USB 3 & Thunderbolt. In 2015, we'll probably be storing and launching DAWs from The Cloud. A "Mac Pro" will just be a WIFI keyboard network appliance. The Cloud will be the computer.
I don't like the idea of cloud computing. Never been my cup of tea. I like having as much control over my computer as possible and I hate having my DAW connected to the internet. Too many distractions and I'm easily distracted. Good thing I'm not an Engineer by profession!

I'm still deciding if I want to go for a Mac Pro or a MBP. If it goes modular, it'll be a no brainier for me. I'll be all over that. I'd like a rig I can record at home and away, but if I'll settle for away being less powerful if home is that much better.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
A 45 pound, air-cooled, tower is a very 1990s platform. It was made for the days of SCSI not USB 3 & Thunderbolt.
Yep.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

a new MP is a no-brainier to build in the US. It's stupid easy to build a desktop and cheap. I've got the parts in my Newegg cart to build a MP pro clone...not a hackinmac but a Win7 rig, that won't even crack $1k. The OS isn't even the issue. I will admit that the MP dual Xeon I use for my pro audio work is a thing of beauty and by that I mean the case for which we pay dearly...LOL my current ASUS W7 PC is severely ghetto modded...no side, no front...SSd dangling from its connector...but it's a great machine warts and all.
My point is as long as Apple can still make us buy the pretty boxes they can make it more profitable by building them to order like Dell does for its PC line. Come to think of it one of my editors just went thru a made to order deal with his recent MP purchase. One was not to be found in the States so his came from China thru Alaska then finally LA and the San Fernando Valley...took about 10 days...sounds like build to order to me and all the wasted $ and carbon in the shipping could be shave big time...and finally a MP desktop can prolly be assembled inside 30 minutes. I havn't built a DIY PC in years but I bet I can stumble thru it again in under 2 hours.
elranchoaudio.com
http://soundcloud.com/el-rancho-audio
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search