Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear maniac

Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces

Hi everyone.

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread that lists all thunderbolt audio interfaces available and those that are confirmed to be released. I hope this thread will become the go-to-thread on the net for anyone that wants to know what choice they will have at the moment as far as thunderbolt enabled audio interfaces.

If you know of one, or know of a thunderbolt interface that is to be released [TBR], please leave a post and I'll try to include it in the list.
Try to keep the thread positive and constructive... . Thank you.

So, here we go...!

*****THUNDERBOLT AUDIO INTERFACE LIST*****

Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt I/O Card for Apollo duo and quad. Should be released late summer 2012, according to their customer service . Thanks for mentioning this, Tousana.

Apogee Symphony 64|Thunderbridge connects to Symphony I/O, and X-Symphony equipped AD-16X, DA-16X, Rosetta 800 & Rosetta 200 converters. Should arrive summer 2012, according to their site. Thanks for mentioning this, Avening.

Prismsound Orpheus connects with Sonnet Thunderbolt to Express card & Express card to firewire800 adaptor combination.. However, it doesn't work on Thunderbolt speeds. Thanks for mentioning this, Avening.

Black Lion Audio Audio interface will feature some sort of thunderbolt connectivity, by word of mr. BLA himself. TO BE RELEASED.

*****END OF THUNDERBOLT AUDIO INTERFACE LIST*****
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear maniac

reserved #2 post

reserved post.
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

As far as I know, Apollo don't have thunderbolt yet, and no other soundcards either. And what's the point listing things that don't exist?
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

You might as well list all snaredrums with hdmi in.
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear addict

Apollo, has an optional Thunderbolt card, just passing this along.
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Apogee Symphony, AD16X, DA16X, Rosetta 800.

Via Apogee Thunderbolt Bridge (when it's released).

Prism has confirmed that the Orpheus works with Thunderbolt via an adapter.
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear maniac

There was a message on the Metric Halo site some time back that said they'd be researching the possibilities of thunderbolt, but I've seen nothing new yet.

Is there any REAL product out there that has a thunderbolt interface? (Except for the Apple cinema monitor and some external harddisk and NASses)
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for the input, guys. @ Strange leaf: Read post #1 and your questions will be answered. But to elaborate a bit more - the thread is intended for people who want to know what options they have now / will have in the future regarding Thunderbolt interfaces. I think we all can benefit by this info as it will make our next buy more educated. Perhaps, even, it will motivate interface manufacturers to implement the Thunderbolt I/O protocol in their unit. Other than that, please, try to keep the vibe positive. Thank you.
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4uz View Post
There was a message on the Metric Halo site some time back that said they'd be researching the possibilities of thunderbolt, but I've seen nothing new yet.

Is there any REAL product out there that has a thunderbolt interface? (Except for the Apple cinema monitor and some external harddisk and NASses)
Black Magic Design have several products like capture and playback interfaces for video and audio and also a RAW high dynamic video camera which will ship this month.

/Peter
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousana View Post
No it doesn't. It's hoping to have one someday soon.

And at $500 it is going to be a gouge to remember.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Should note that many TB implementations are initially expected to be FireWire bridges, not native Thunderbolt. So they might have the connection, but not the performance.

I've heard that Apollo will be native, as will the BLA. Intel did a prototype interface with Apogee that was apparently native as well.
Old 4th June 2012
Gear maniac

Hi Travis, you said 'I've heard that Apollo will be native, as will the BLA.'.

The BLA? What do you refer to here? Thanks for the specifics.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearowner View Post
Hi Travis, you said 'I've heard that Apollo will be native, as will the BLA.'.

The BLA? What do you refer to here? Thanks for the specifics.
Black Lion Audio is purported to be making a TB interface. For a brief moment they were boasting on their Facebook page about it being the only "true" TB interface, but they presumably retracted that claim by removing the post.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

For me the big question is how are the major DAW manufacturers going to implement Thunderbolt connectivity? How soon? Will it be a transparent process or will they need to write new drivers? Will the interfaces simply be Core Audio or ASIO compliant?

Too many questions....
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Thunderbolt is fast shaping up to be a white elephant
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

Like I said, nothing discussed here actually exists. Sort of like a thread about gods or dragons.
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4uz View Post
Just to amplify/clarify this - MH says on their Thunderbolt page, "We are currently talking with Intel about integrating Thunderbolt technology into our hardware and once it is available, Thunderbolt will be included in all new products as well as an upgrade for all existing interfaces."
Old 14th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
Like I said, nothing discussed here actually exists. Sort of like a thread about gods or dragons.
Negative guy. One of the many difference between ThB interfaces and gods & dragons is that the former will probably be here in the foreseeable future while the latter probably won't. You understand this, yes? Be happy man.
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

I'm happy.
Old 14th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
Dragons are real!
Old 14th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Quote:
No it doesn't. It's hoping to have one someday soon.

And at $500 it is going to be a gouge to remember.
UAD Forums • View topic - Thunderbolt adapter ETA (update)
"Hey all --
Just FYI -- I called UA this morning to ask about ETA for the Thunderbolt adapter, and was told that they're working hard on it... and that it should ship in the August-September timeframe. So. Well. :( "
Old 14th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus909 View Post
UAD Forums • View topic - Thunderbolt adapter ETA (update)
"Hey all --
Just FYI -- I called UA this morning to ask about ETA for the Thunderbolt adapter, and was told that they're working hard on it... and that it should ship in the August-September timeframe. So. Well. :( "
I emailed them earlier as well, this news is incorporated in post #1. Thanks either way!
Old 14th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearowner View Post
I emailed them earlier as well, this news is incorporated in post #1. Thanks either way!
It will be interesting to see who gets there first Universal Audio or Apogee. I'm very curious to see the first Thunderbolt benchmark tests!
Old 15th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord preset View Post
Dragons are real!
Sure they are. Like gods and superheroes.
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Any news on this? I have the cash... I just need a Thunderbolt interface.
Old 6th November 2012
Gear maniac

Not much news on this for now as far as I am aware of.
Old 6th November 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Avid HD Native Thunderbolt

For HD Interfaces
Attached Thumbnails
Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces-8-avid-protools-le.jpeg  
Old 7th November 2012
Gear maniac

I loved my UA Apollo Quad when it was running on FireWire and it's even more amazing now that I have the thunderbolt card installed and am connected to my Mac directly with the thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt is coming into it's own and it's a game changer!
Old 7th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

It's worth noting....

Just for the record........

That the Apollo is a FireWire interface ..... Even with the thunderbolt card, it still acts as a FireWire interface.... FireWire over thunderbolt

The only way to get the truer thunderbolt performance (pice) at the moment is to buy a pice card and stick it inside a tb chassis... Or buy one that's pre packaged like that ie hd native thunderbolt or appogee thunder bridge
Old 8th November 2012
Gear maniac

It all connects via the Thunderbolt port and since all the UAD Plugins are on the PCI buss the total FireWire bandwidth is dedicated to I/O so there is more than enough Bandwidth for anything I'll ever do and with the quad there is plenty of processing power without putting a burden on the CPU. Well thought out design. Works for me!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search