New Reply
Subscribe
buzzby
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear interested

man rubbing his gongs

hi

has anyone recorded large gongs before ? - a guy wants me to record a gig he is doing next week in a church with a few large gongs - one of them is 2 metres tall

thing is - he 's not only hitting the gongs but he's using a variety of mallets to rub the gongs to produce some really cool subtle sounds -

there is enough room for me sit behind the gongs with my computer, so i was thinking of being there with 2 dynamic mics up close and 2 pzm's at the sides and forward a bit of the gongs

at the front and in the distance - a zoom h4n in the middle with 2 condenser mics at the sides

i know that i ll obviously have to monitor the mic positions to find the sweet spots but does anyone have any advice?

thanks
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
Gear nut

Maybe even an omni? Seems like a gong is a lot of reverberation....

Try using your ears and then place a bi directional or two condensors in place of your ears where you like the sound the best.
4th June 2012
Old 4th June 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I don't have any useful advice for you but you have my vote for best thread title of 2012.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search