New Reply
Subscribe
Draytone
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

C++ Errors and Win7 64 / PT10

Hey guys,
So, this has come up a few times for me now. I have already hunted around the Avid forums and not had much luck. I'm running a Dell 490 which is a quad core Xeon processor, with Windows 7 64 bit and Pro Tools 10 on Lynx hardware.

Here's my issue. Randomly, every now and then when I open a saved session, I get prompted with a c++ runtime error, which in turn often ends up corrupting the session. I can open other sessions, and import the session data from that corrupt session. I did some investigating last time this happened, went through the event viewer, and found it related to a "sxs" or "side by side" error. I google'd around and it started to get a little over my head. It seemed like it was related to running a 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS.

Do any Microsoft buffs have any insight into a "side by side" error in this circumstance?

Regards, -Rob
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to strangerspusi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draytone View Post
It seemed like it was related to running a 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS.
Well, I think you simply cannot run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system. It always 'seems' to work but whenever full performance is needed or critical hardware access is required, the emulation of 32-bit causes no ends of trouble. When using 64-bit, you should update all your drivers, software and even plugins if you expect stable operation.

I think each error message has a different meaning and a general answer is difficult. Check the technical support and make sure you only use compatible hardware and drivers.
Draytone
3rd June 2012
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Avid say that PT 10 is compatible on a 64 bit OS, and generally it's fine. When this issue comes up again I'll make sure I get some more details and post it here, as I'm sure I can't be the only one getting it.
25th September 2012
Old 25th September 2012
Gear nut

I'm getting random c++ error R6061 now on win7 64 in Protools 9, having just upgraded from PT8. You'd think this sort of shit would be handled now they are already onto PT10 which is why I held off going to 9 for so long. First the Pace drivers were buggy, can't use the latest PAce have to use the ones from AVID, or your ilok isn't recognised by PT9, so if you update to current Pace drivers your stuffed and now this C++, which happens randomly about 2-3 times a day with no warning? Ppl at the DUC get this error but no one at Avid knows why far?
Draytone
25th September 2012
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

I ended up doing a reinstall on my machine, and am actually running 10.2 and have not had the issue in quite a while. So no sure if a fresh install of everything helped, or if it was addressed in an update??

Good luck though, be sure to let us know if you come across anything.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search