New Reply
Subscribe
ManicHouse
18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Gear maniac

Upgrade from oc'd 875k?

Hi all,
My current rig is a diy 875k oc'd to 3.8 ghz and it's been running great for about 2 yrs. I only ever run out of power mixing at 96khz. However, for vi's I find I hit the wall relatively quickly... even at 44.1khz. At this point, would a move to an i7 2600 platform be a huge jump up for vi's? Or would I need to move to something like the 3930 / 3960? I'm looking for a minimum of 50% increase in power. I've read all the benchmarks, but none show an 875k oc'd. Just wondering if anyone has any insight. Primary software is Cubendo, and PT10 with Komplete 8, VSL, Superior, BFD, Play, and a bunch more. Many thanks for your input.

Best,
Martin
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Stabby Stabby

I've never run an 875 so I don't know how powerful they are, but I just got myself a 3930K and have it overclocked to 4.7 and the thing absolutely rocks, I'm easily running 14 tracks tracks of VI's with massive FX chains plus mastering plugins on the master channel 32 buffer 96Khz. I just ran a geekbench benchmark and scored over 18000.
I know it's not particularly relevant to audio but run a geek bench benchmark and you have something to compare it too.

There's no need to waste money on the 3960X, benchmarks put it right next to the 3930K as the clock speeds would suggest, the extra 3mb of cash and .1ghz isn't worth the extra 500$
Audio Technica AT4060 --> Focusrite Liquid Channel --> Focusrite Saffire pro24 --> Sabertooth X79 --> 3930K 3.2GHZ OC'D to 4.7GHZ --> 16GB Ram --> Windows 7 X64 / Hackintosh --> Midi Controllers --> Phonic P6A
http://www.soundcloud.com/exile-1

https://soundcloud.com/exile-1/passenger-bass-duck
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The "Duck" is correct.
ManicHouse
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for the feedback. The 3930 looks great. Even though geekbench has little to do with audio performance, my 875k is showing 10,800... the 3930 looks to be quite a jump up. Now to look for a mobo, quiet cooler, and ram. Thanks again.
19th May 2012
Old 19th May 2012
Stabby Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicHouse View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The 3930 looks great. Even though geekbench has little to do with audio performance, my 875k is showing 10,800... the 3930 looks to be quite a jump up. Now to look for a mobo, quiet cooler, and ram. Thanks again.
No problemo, Zalman makes some nice quiet heatsinks (CNPS), the Asus p9X79 WS is a workstation oriented board, lots of Pcie slots, little pricey though, was out of stock or I would have picked it up instead of the Sabertooth, the g.skill ram is pretty good too, I picked up a 16gb pack of 1600 for $80, I had a few issues with my motherboard detecting the wrong timings so I had to configure all that manually but it's been stable since then.
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

I run a 875k @ 3.6 and a 2600k at 4.7. My 2600k GB's at 16000 (on the free 32 bit one). I'd say eh...what daw are you using? Are plugs putting it over the top or VI's?

I don't know, from the 2600k to the 3xxx seems a pretty small leap. IMO it's a mistake to think about more overhead over the OS, OS's these days don't have much overhead.

If you are struggling with PT, I think it's worth checking out studio one, reaper or cubase for the time being and print stems back, or maybe VEP. PT just sucks with VI's to the point where when you see how smooth the other apps are you really need to weigh that beyond thinking a new machine will put you over the top, unless maybe maybe your looking at a dual 2687w or something.
ManicHouse
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I run a 875k @ 3.6 and a 2600k at 4.7. My 2600k GB's at 16000 (on the free 32 bit one). I'd say eh...what daw are you using? Are plugs putting it over the top or VI's?

I don't know, from the 2600k to the 3xxx seems a pretty small leap. IMO it's a mistake to think about more overhead over the OS, OS's these days don't have much overhead.

If you are struggling with PT, I think it's worth checking out studio one, reaper or cubase for the time being and print stems back, or maybe VEP. PT just sucks with VI's to the point where when you see how smooth the other apps are you really need to weigh that beyond thinking a new machine will put you over the top, unless maybe maybe your looking at a dual 2687w or something.
Thanks for the feedback. I've been using PT and Cubase since the mid 90's so I'm quite familiar with PT's poor VI performance. I use PT on the Hackintosh side of this machine for Post Production, and Cubase on the Win7 side for composing. I rarely run out of power on either one when just mixing at high buffer settings. It's running VI's and tracking at low latency in Cubase where I sometimes hit the wall. My 875k is OC'd to 3.9 ghz with Hyperthreading off because some VI's just don't play nice with HT on at low latencies. Is your 2600 rig a noticeable improvement over your 875k? I was under the impression that the quad channel config of the x79 platform would help greatly at low latency... though I'm certainly no expert. Thanks again.
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Stabby Stabby

20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Head

Hey guys,

Power user here ( cubase win7 64) but complete newbie to overclocking yet always run into the problem of vsti latency when deep into mixes; pondering asking PCAudioLabs to try overclocking on my newly ordered machines. Dumb question prob; is there any stability risk in overclocking or would you say it's relatively safe? What things to watch out for?

Any feedback is firmly appreciated!
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Stabby Stabby

Lot's of tutorials online, basically as you overclock by raising the voltage and the clock multiplier delivered to the processor.
(Just using my processor as an example - on the 3930K the actual clock speed is 100 MHZ, stock the multiplier is set to 32 = 3.2 GHZ , at 1.355 Volts I believe. By increasing the multiplier to 48 and raising the voltage to1.38 I got 4.8 GHZ)
Every processor will be different as no two chips are the same, some people have to use a higher voltage and some can use a lower voltage. Generally on this processor you don't want to go above 1.5 volts, I personally like to keep this one under 1.4, atleast till it's been around for a while and people have been pushing them long enough to find out if they're gonna fail or not.

The biggest factor is gonna be your motherboard, it all depends on your motherboards options for power delivery, when overclocking the voltage has to be regulated very precisely, in order to run stable as it fluctuates slightly, if the processor is asking for voltage and the board cannot provide enough, or the correct amount your system will lockup and this is where the instability comes from. It can get confusing cause there are usually lots of options in your bios but the actual process is quite simple to do a basic overclock depending on the motherboard.

Just search Google with a format like this

Processor name - Motherboard name - Overclock settings

You'll most likely find out the limits of your system and how to push it there.
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Head

Thanks so much, that was very helpful, awesome!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search