Recording Hard Drive Question
New Reply
Subscribe
WhiteSoxPanic
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Gear interested

Recording Hard Drive Question

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to Pro Tools, and I could use some help. I recently built a new system to run Pro Tools, and my original design was to use my 128gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD drive to hold my OS, software, and to record directly to. I also have two 2TB HDD in Raid 1 where I would store my recordings after sessions.

I got Pro Tools today in the mail and when I read the installation manual, it recommended to not record to the system hard drive, which makes sense. So my question is, assuming that cost is not really an issue, what type of hard drive should I get to record to? Should I get a second SSD Drive? High rpm SATA Hdd? Or should I get a USB 3.0 or Firewire external?

Thanks for your suggestions...
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Gear addict

SATA is the best option. SSD is generally not a great idea for Audio Drive as they die quick with that many writes. Use SSDs for drives that generally don't change.
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Don't worry about SSD's dying that fast, I think people are overpanicing.

Avid doesn't support SSD at all, not even as an OS drive. That being said, just do a test recording to both the SSD and the RAID array and check what works. Our systems typically come with a very similar configuration, where recording is done to the RAID-1 array. 150 tracks no issue, but it depends what drives you use.

WhiteSoxPanic
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Don't worry about SSD's dying that fast, I think people are overpanicing.

Avid doesn't support SSD at all, not even as an OS drive. That being said, just do a test recording to both the SSD and the RAID array and check what works. Our systems typically come with a very similar configuration, where recording is done to the RAID-1 array. 150 tracks no issue, but it depends what drives you use.
So Pro Tools will not work if I install it to my SSD? What specs should I have in my SATA HDD? 7,200rpm 64mb cache? Any recommendations on drives in particluar?
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxPanic View Post
So Pro Tools will not work if I install it to my SSD? What specs should I have in my SATA HDD? 7,200rpm 64mb cache? Any recommendations on drives in particluar?
Sure it will work. It is just not officially supported. A 7200RPM without energy saving stuff will do the job just fine.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search