Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Samplitude Pro X (Opinions) ? (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/727050-samplitude-pro-x-opinions.html)

kraznet 16th September 2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRStudio (Post 8266795)
Kraznet, your videos are amazing. I've been a Sam user since V2.4 and I still watch your videos and learn new things. I would love to see a video delving into Sequoia's 4 source editing. I have not been able to wrap my head around this one just by explanation. I looked for videos but could not find one. Do you or could you?

Thanks
Jeff
gtrguy1 at the Sam forum

Hi Jeff,

I've had other requests for this recently and its definitely on my to-do list. It will need alot of prep from my side and I'm rather busy with other thing right now. But be assured I will let you know as soon as I have some concrete info about a tutorial on this subject.

Cheers
Kraznet

claesbjo 16th September 2012 07:08 PM

I´m really super-interested in this..thinking of getting Win and run with bootcamp just to be able to try it. However, there must be a hardware insert plug-in for it since I´m mostly working with external gear. Is there?

cheers

muziksculp 16th September 2012 07:24 PM

Hi,

Does Samplitude Pro X have :

1. Video Track ?

2. Folder Tracks ? (similar to Cubase 6 ?)

3. Arranger Track ? or anything to make arranging less of a Purely Linear editing environment ?

4. Batch Audio Export feature ? (similar to Cubase 6 ?)

Well... Being a Cubase 6.5 user on PC, I'm very content with what it offers, and have been tempted to add Samplitude Pro x as an alternative/second DAW option to Cubase 6.5, I'm also looking forward to Bitwig Studio to be released.

I feel waiting might be the best option for me at this time, maybe Samplitude Pro X will also be updated in the near future, to offer some of non-linear editing environment like Ableton Live, and Bitwig Studio, or even something similar to the 'Arranger Track' in Cubase. Which I feel is a must have in a modern day DAW.

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

siriusbliss 16th September 2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8268017)
Hi,

Does Samplitude Pro X have :

1. Video Track ?

2. Folder Tracks ? (similar to Cubase 6 ?)

3. Arrange Track ? or anything to make arranging less of a Purely Linear editing environment ?

4. Batch Audio Export feature ? (similar to Cubase 6 ?)

Well... Being a Cubase 6.5 user on PC, I'm very content with what it offers, and have been tempted to add Samplitude Pro x as an alternative/second DAW option to Cubase 6.5, I'm also looking forward to Bitwig Studio to be released.

I feel waiting might be the best option for me at this time, maybe Samplitude Pro X will also be updated in the near future, to offer some of non-linear editing environment like Ableton Live, and Bitwig Studio, or even something similar to the 'Arranger Track' in Cubase. Which I feel is a must have in a modern day DAW.

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

yes to all of the above.

The object-editing in Samplitude IS the 'arrange' mode.

There's also a fairly undocumented 'o-tone' mode for recording playback in a more live-type setup.

Enjoy the demo for 30 days and put it through the paces and see what happens kfhkh

G

muziksculp 16th September 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siriusbliss (Post 8268230)
yes to all of the above.

The object-editing in Samplitude IS the 'arrange' mode.

There's also a fairly undocumented 'o-tone' mode for recording playback in a more live-type setup.

Enjoy the demo for 30 days and put it through the paces and see what happens kfhkh

G

Thanks for the reply, are there any videos, or in-depth tutorials showing how to use the object-editing to emulate a non-linear 'arranger track' or pattern-style editing environment in Samplitude Pro X ? I still don't totally understand how this is possible to accomplish via the Object-Editing feature of Sampl. Pro X .

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

sam c 17th September 2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8268348)
Thanks for the reply, are there any videos, or in-depth tutorials showing how to use the object-editing to emulate a non-linear 'arranger track' or pattern-style editing environment in Samplitude Pro X ? I still don't totally understand how this is possible to accomplish via the Object-Editing feature of Sampl. Pro X .

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

Yes, there are great video tutorials. Look at the post at the top of this page. Kraznet is the man.

siriusbliss 17th September 2012 01:24 AM

Yes, just head to Kraznets' YouTube channel
www.youtube.com/kraznet

G

BOP 17th September 2012 01:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I tried reading through the tread but I gave up midway as the odd exchange of posts looks like a conversation from Truman Show.

Seeing how there is this thread though I suppose it would be a good time to ask these questions:

What is the difference between samplitude and sequoia?

Is there any connection between amplitube and samplitude?
Those two names being out on the market like that would raise a lot of eyebrows round the IP expert circles if it was in fact two different companies.

Can you use sequoia on the mac or is it windows only software?

I have heard of sequoia being used by some of the mastering folk but never tried it myself.

Cheers,
BOP

Edit: what the **** is going on with that link in my post?
Edit2: now it's gone? What the hell? Is GS testing out addwords or whatever it's called that ads links to advertisements?

muziksculp 17th September 2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siriusbliss (Post 8268832)
Yes, just head to Kraznets' YouTube channel
Kraznet's Samplitude Tutorials - YouTube

G

Thanks,

Can you point me to a specific kraznet video tutorial/s that shows how Samplitude's Object-Oriented editing feature can emulate the 'Arranger Track' in Cubase 6 ? or something like the 'Blocks' feature in Reason 6, or possibly the 'Clips' feature in Ableton Live ?

Sorry... I can't seem to easily find this.

muziksculp 17th September 2012 03:17 AM

Here is a video of what the 'Arranger Track' offers in Cubase. Anyway to achieve a similar editing functionality (easily) in Samplitude Pro X ?

SabreChris 17th September 2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8269031)
Here is a video of what the 'Arranger Track' offers in Cubase. Anyway to achieve a similar editing functionality (easily) in Samplitude Pro X ?

I dont think Samplitude does this, but you can use markers to delineate parts of the song and jump to them while playing with a single keypress.

It appears what Cubase does is allow to specify marker ranges and then also a playback order. A A B D FFF A, etc. I think it would be easy for Samp to add this and it would be along the lines of what ableton does.

I would be interested in seeing this in Samp.

muziksculp 17th September 2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreChris (Post 8269122)
I dont think Samplitude does this, but you can use markers to delineate parts of the song and jump to them while playing with a single keypress.

It appears what Cubase does is allow to specify marker ranges and then also a playback order. A A B D FFF A, etc. I think it would be easy for Samp to add this and it would be along the lines of what ableton does.

I would be interested in seeing this in Samp.

Yup, I don't think Samplitude Pro X offers this at this time !

That's what I would like to see in a future update feature in Samplitude Pro X or maybe the next version. (whenever that's planned for release).

This is quite an important, and very useful feature that I feel is ignored by some major DAWs.

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

Spip 17th September 2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8269031)

Thanks for the link, I didn't know this feature at all... boing

Awesome feature that could alone justify the switch to Cubase.

May I ask you why you want to switch ?

SabreChris 17th September 2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8269173)
Yup, I don't think Samplitude Pro X offers this at this time !

That's what I would like to see in a future update feature in Samplitude Pro X or maybe the next version. (whenever that's planned for release).

This is quite an important, and very useful feature that I feel is ignored by some major DAWs.

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

If thats a feature you really need, you can always get Ableton Live Intro ($100) and rewire into your host.

Of course, long time sampllitude users could post ten videos of essential Samp features that cubase does not do. Object editing, revolver tracks, etc.

Spip 17th September 2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreChris (Post 8269919)
If thats a feature you really need, you can always get Ableton Live Intro ($100) and rewire into your host.

Thanks for your input but what about an even simpler advice : he can kindly stay on Cubase... heh

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreChris (Post 8269919)
Of course, long time sampllitude users could post ten videos of essential Samp features that cubase does not do. Object editing, revolver tracks, etc.

Why do you think that people looking a thread about Samplitude and asking if it could be a good idea to learn and switch to a new DAW are interested in bashing it ? :facepalm:

SabreChris 17th September 2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spip (Post 8270217)
Thanks for your input but what about an even simpler advice : he can kindly stay on Cubase... heh

Why do you think that people looking a thread about Samplitude and asking if it could be a good idea to learn and switch to a new DAW are interested in bashing it ? :facepalm:

Wrong interpretation.

Although he may be losing one thing, he might be gaining ten. Just wanted to put it into perspective. I think Samplitude for most tasks, and using a simple program like Ableton for composition if he needs non-linear functionality might net him more than he currently has.

muziksculp 17th September 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreChris (Post 8270411)
Wrong interpretation.

Although he may be losing one thing, he might be gaining ten. Just wanted to put it into perspective. I think Samplitude for most tasks, and using a simple program like Ableton for composition if he needs non-linear functionality might net him more than he currently has.

I would love to see Samplitude Pro X get a non-linear feature via an update, and will surely purchase it if it did offer this type of feature.

Being restricted to a purely linear DAW imho. is the weakest link in Samplitude's feature list. Given the advanced Object-Editing it offers, yet fails to offer an advanced method of easily experimenting with/building a musical arrangement, (offering only copy-paste) is what keeps me from venturing into Samplitude, or any other DAW that only offers (copy-paste) linear fashion to build an arrangement.

I don't plan to switch from Cubase 6, even if Samplitude Pro X offered a non-linear editing feature, but would like to use it as a second DAW, depending on the project I'm working on.

Hopefully, Magix will be able to do something about this important and missing feature in Samplitude Pro X.

Maybe emailing them a request for adding a non-linear editing feature of some type would be a good idea.

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

SabreChris 17th September 2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8270640)
I would love to see Samplitude Pro X get a non-linear feature via an update, and will surely purchase it if it did offer this type of feature.

Being restricted to a purely linear DAW imho. is the weakest link in Samplitude's feature list. Given the advanced Object-Editing it offers, yet fails to offer an advanced method of easily experimenting with/building a musical arrangement, (offering only copy-paste) is what keeps me from venturing into Samplitude, or any other DAW that only offers (copy-paste) linear fashion to build an arrangement.

I don't plan to switch from Cubase 6, even if Samplitude Pro X offered a non-linear editing feature, but would like to use it as a second DAW, depending on the project I'm working on.

Hopefully, Magix will be able to do something about this important and missing feature in Samplitude Pro X.

Maybe emailing them a request for adding a non-linear editing feature of some type would be a good idea.

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

It does drag and drop quite well, in the arranger and from the manager. Its not bad for a linear sequencer, but it doesn't automate non-linear features.

As a workaround, you can set up different (not connected) sections in the track view with a marker at the start. While playing, you just have to hit marker keys to jump between different sections of the song. It doesn't allow you to program a playback order like Cubase, , but you can drag-drop parts all over the place until you get what you want.

I don't think the Samp dev team should do a knee-jerk reaction and develop every little feature, but I think it would be fairly easy to implement this one: When user creates a marker, all they would have to do is create a "tabbed" track view (another track view for the new section), and then implement a playback list, that lets you specify the order. Or they could cop the "arranger track" idea from Cubase. The drag and drop and clip editing is already in place, I feel that Samp is almost there. However, they have been focusing over the last year on 64bit Samp and OSX Samp, so new consumer features will probably be slow to emerge.

Also, wait for Kraznet to find this thread, he might know a way to use the take composer to accomplish something similar.

Anyway, as a workaround, just use markers and keystrokes to jump between song sections, and when you are happy with the arrangement, string them together in the track view. This would work for electronic music, but in all reality, for acoustic instruments, you would probably just rerecord each section anyway. Because Samp is object oriented, you can apply FX and edits to individual clips, so you can highlight a whole section of a song, and copy it to other areas, without having to create new tracks. In a non-OO sequencer, you would have to create new lanes with new aux sends and fx if you desired to move sections around with such ease.

kraznet 17th September 2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

It does drag and drop quite well, in the arranger and from the manager. Its not bad for a linear sequencer, but it doesn't automate non-linear features.
Actually it's probably not that hard to implement a non-linear situation because I believe MAGIX Music Maker 2013 has some nonlinear features although I only briefly tested them a few versions back. I know Greg has more experience than me with Music Maker so maybe he will chime in.

MAGIX Music Maker Production Suite - MX

Ok MM2013 it's more aimed at loop-based composition but MAGIX tend to add features to their cheaper line of software and some of those features make it into Samplitude/Sequoia at a later date. I'll have to make some enquiries.

but I wouldn't hold your breath that they would be added to Samplitude any time soon as I think quite a lot of development time is being allotted to the long-awaited Mac version (no I don't know when it will be released).

Quote:

Also, wait for Kraznet to find this thread, he might know a way to use the take composer to accomplish something similar.
I found it a few posts back :)

Regards
Kraznet

muziksculp 12th October 2012 05:28 AM

Hi,

I'm still not sure the current version of Samplitude Pro X is perfect for my workflow, especially the fact that it does not offer any pattern/non-linear arranging features at this time. If it did, I would have jumped on board without thinking twice, since I feel it offers a wealth of great other features.

Any idea as to when Magix will release the next version of Samplitude Pro X ?

Do they upgrade Samplitude once a year, or every two years ?

I don't mind waiting for the next version, but would like to have some feedback as to when the next version is due based on their previous development history.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

siriusbliss 12th October 2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8348521)
Hi,

I'm still not sure the current version of Samplitude Pro X is perfect for my workflow, especially the fact that it does not offer any pattern/non-linear arranging features at this time. If it did, I would have jumped on board without thinking twice, since I feel it offers a wealth of great other features.

Any idea as to when Magix will release the next version of Samplitude Pro X ?

Do they upgrade Samplitude once a year, or every two years ?

I don't mind waiting for the next version, but would like to have some feedback as to when the next version is due based on their previous development history.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Magix Music Maker has a live performance feature that lets you 'perform' your playback and record the performance - using measures and markers to jump through the arrangement using the keyboard.

It also a song-maker feature that zips in loops from the soundpool library based on whichever loops (or objects that you've recorded) you already have in the timeline - or just pick a song style and the program will build a song for you.

I've used this latter feature to quickly create a country-esque style piece for an infomercial a while back. It was quick and yes, I was cheating, but I'm not a country musician, and it was easy and fast to build a song and send it out for review by the producer.

I've used Music Maker to build basic ideas and then export it out to Samplitude for further tracking and mixdown.

ProX can play the same soundpools as Music Maker, so it's just as easy to throw together something that way as well.

You have to realize that an object-based program is a little different than what's expected after seeing how other programs may do it.

I was 'forced' to use Ableton Live on a theater productions a few years ago, and found it's 'arrange' mode to be handy, but it sorely lacked in other areas - especially for mix - and I found myself using Samplitude instead because it's quicker for me to assemble projects using objects.

G

muziksculp 12th October 2012 06:05 AM

Hi sirusbliss,

Thanks for the feedback.

Any guess as to when Magix will release the next version of Samplitude Pro X based on their previous upgrade history ?

(not sure I want to venture into Magix 'Music Maker' just to patch-up a feature that I feel should have been designed into Samplitude Pro X, (a well designed Pattern-based editor in the next version of Samplitude would be Awesome) .

So...Maybe the next version will offer it. but, when is the big question.

siriusbliss 12th October 2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muziksculp (Post 8348584)
Hi sirusbliss,

Thanks for the feedback.

Any guess as to when Magix will release the next version of Samplitude Pro X based on their previous upgrade history ?

(not sure I want to venture into Magix 'Music Maker' just to patch-up a feature that I feel should have been designed into Samplitude Pro X, (a well designed Pattern-based editor in the next version of Samplitude would be Awesome) .

So...Maybe the next version will offer it. but, when is the big question.

Single decimal updates are mostly done on an annual or semi-annual basis with occasional patches it seems on more or less a quarterly basis. Major updates such as ProX (including 64-bit) took around two years.

As for YOUR needed feature, I doubt it's as high priority amongst a whole litany of updates, upgrades, etc. that are already planned. With Music Maker it's cheap, and already built in, and you can render out your tracks into Samplitude ProX and move on with your songwriting without having to wait. See if there is a demo available in your location.

We as customers have tons of tools at our disposal that we didn't even have a few years ago.

Greg

muziksculp 12th October 2012 07:17 PM

Well... I finally purchased Samplitude Pro X (crossgrade) boxed version, should have it delivered in a week or so.

I will see how I get along with it.

Q. On the Pro.Magix website Analogue Modelling Suite > Audio Plugins > Audio Production > MAGIX Pro , it says that the Analog Modeling Suite Plus, including am-munition will be available soon as a download soon. Does this mean the current version is a boxed version only ? How good are these plug-ins (worth getting ?)

Cheers,
Muziksculp yingyang

siriusbliss 12th October 2012 08:25 PM

IMO Ammunition alone is worth the price of admission.

G

Lawrence 12th October 2012 10:04 PM

From what I can gather about Samp's object editing from Kraznet, the differences from the others is sends from objects and the object editor itself, which has some really handy and practical features.

I mean, you can run live effects (and even live instruments) on objects (clips) in other places, without ever rendering any of it, and/or freeze them and unfreeze them, objects (clips) so that part is nothing all that unique really. But...

What's more (at least immediately apparently) unique about Samp is the sends from objects and the object editor itself, which gives a nice overview of the entire object since their paradigm kind nudges the user towards object based editing. Some of the features there are quite cool. Aside from sends from objects (which I don't think any of the others have) and the rather cool multi-setting storage / recall system I saw in Kraznets videos I'm not sure if the rest of it isn't mostly the other normal stuff you have anyway, but it's all been collected there in the one place in the object editor... which is unique and pretty cool.

Basically, they bring all the edit parameters for any object(s) to a single editor, the main difference. Nice. And (I think, IIRC) the other difference is that Objects and their parameters in Samp can be individually automated (I think), something else the others don't do yet, if my recall there is correct.

Anyway, it's a great product for sure. Magix products are in all the consumer stores like Best Buy, even (I think) consumer versions of Samplitude so yeah, the brand recognition of their pro daw being pretty weak is a bit puzzling.

Like Bill suggests, it has to be poor marketing. It's certainly not the product. It's plugin and instrument set look outstanding, not just "usable".

SabreChris 13th October 2012 02:27 PM

They are working on the mac version now. I think they have acknowledged that in order to gain broad acceptance, that it can't be a PC only application. Throwing tons of advertizing into an expensive PC-only product will meet strong headwinds. I expect they will have a stronger presence a year from now, but if the arduous transition to 64-bit is an indication of the future, the mac version may be delayed or may not be solid for some time.

muziksculp 20th October 2012 10:09 AM

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...plitudePic.jpg

Just Arrived !

quagga 25th October 2012 07:55 PM

For video soundtrack editing with the video in one track, is it better to have the 64 bit version, or the 32 bit version?

kraznet 25th October 2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quagga (Post 8388300)
For video soundtrack editing with the video in one track, is it better to have the 64 bit version, or the 32 bit version?

It installs x32 and x64 versions anyway so you have a choice. The x64 version will give you access to more memory although it may have issues with QuickTime as I don't think it's available in 64 bit yet. You also need to realise that Samplitude only allows one active video object per project. So if you want to use more than one on the timeline you need to use Sequoia.

Regards
Kraznet