Login / Register

Permenent audio spectrum on screen while producing?
New Reply
Subscribe
Kafro
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear interested

Permenent audio spectrum on screen while producing?

I use Ableton for music production and am constantly having to load Spectrum analyzers into channels to see where the sound is peaking and making sure I have good range. Is there some software or plugin that will ALWAYS stay on screen that shows the spectrum for all audio output?

It would just be much easier to always have the spectrum up on my 2nd monitor going to my master audio output instead of having to click on the channel, click on the effects rack, expand the spectrum every time I want to check it.

I tried searching here, for a permanent Ableton spectrum, for random spectrum software that displayed audio output...and just can't find one.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Head

Try Audiofile Engineering! They got Spectre for that :-)
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

I used to do what you do and youre right it's a pita.

Now I put one on the stereo bus and have on screen all of the time, whenever you want to see a specific track just solo it and that's all that will show on the display.

Obviously put it as a first insert if you mix into a comp or limiter.

http://soundcloud.com/opikoort
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Surrounded By Music

I use Voxengo SPAN. It's free and works great!

SPAN
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Head

If you download image line juice pack, they have two visualisers - spectrogram and a frequency graph, and you can set them to stay on top and be transparent for mouse clicks. Works well.
Juice pack is $69/99 of I remember correctly
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear maniac

I personally love this one:

HOFA-Plugins | Intelligente Audio-Plugins mit einzigartigen Funktionen - IQ-A_en

It shows frequency distribution over time, and you can load in spectral curves of your favorite mixes to compare. It doesn't have any "auto- eq" functions, but those in my experience are pretty much useless. It has some good metering as well.

Put it on your master as remote337 says, and drag it to another screen if you have one. Works great.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Kafro
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
I use Voxengo SPAN. It's free and works great!

SPAN
SPAN looks good but it runs as a plug in in Ableton.

I need something that I can set on my 2nd monitor that will always be displayed no matter if I switch channels or minimize Ableton.

Sort of like what this guys does with Rewiring Ableton - except instead of Reason I'd use Ableton and instead of Ableton Spectrum I'd use some other Spectrum program.

30th November 2013
Old 30th November 2013
Gear nut

Old thread but I am also interested in always having an ableton spectrum meter on-screen whether I am in arrange or session view...any solutions welcome
30th November 2013
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

I personally opt for doing this off of my audio interface, by sending a duplicate version of my master bus output to an ancient laptop running various tools there. I also have RME Digicheck on my main DAW machine but find it to be more useful for RMS & Peak monitoring than spectral analysis (where it's useful only in the roughest sense).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search