Which drum software can sound close to Gregory Isaacs 'Night Nurse' albums drum sound
Roman
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear addict

Which drum software can sound close to Gregory Isaacs 'Night Nurse' albums drum sound

I could have said which drum virtual instrument can sound closest to the late 70s early 80s Jamaican rub a dub tight kick and snare sound. But this album has one of the tightest kick and snare sounds and it gives a specific reference for people to listen to.
I've got a Roland TD3KW and I want to make drum beats in the style of James Brown, All the classic hip hop breaks that are mostly tape saturated late 60s early 70s drum sounds and jamaican reggae.
So mostly tight drums.
So far I like:
60s and 70s drummer
Superior Drummer with the Custom and Vintage pack
Sonic Reality Epik drums
Maybe addictive with funk and retro packs

I can and will sample from records. But that means I have to create a ghost snare sound in my sampler from the accent I sample by maybe advancing the start point for lower velocities. Still makes something useful but these extensively sampled kits provide added realism.

I also plan on tape saturating the finished drum tracks etc.

I would love to be able to get a truly tight sound like the 'Night Nurse' album.

Is it an option to use amplitude envelopes with these drum softwares to tighten drums to get this sound or is that a different sound to using a tightly dampened snare sample?

Maybe transient designer?

Night Nurse is from 82, 83. Would they have used gating or just drum treatment like dampening?

I also plan on using (as an option) a real hihat along with the vdrums.

I imagine that any tuning function within drum software simply tunes the samples up which has to be completely different to actually tuning a snare higher. Now that would be an extensively sampled kit, to have different tunings.

Thanks yall.
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear Guru

You're just rewording a question you asked last week.

You need tight drums, recorded in a space with no ambience.
The drums shouldn't ring, and yet be clean, crisp and modern.

My product Custom & Vintage ticks all those boxes.
I'm not sure about anything else. I think you probably need to try one or two out.
Roman
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear addict

Chris I actually stalked you on google but couldn't find your email address

I wanted to ask you directly.
Um, well I may be a very particular person when it comes to drum sounds. The funk drum sound can have more decay than this example.

Out of curiosity, did you listen to the song on youtube?

I was wondering about the options in regards to tuning and decay (amp enc) or transient designer.

I guess I was hoping more for a challenge to get as close as possible to this particular sound.

I think it is a very dampened but crisp snare and clicky kick drum. But I would definitely assume this is what a high tuned snare would sound like.

I don't have experience recording real drums.
I also note that you can layer drums in some drum softwares. I think Steven Slates video demo he was adding more click to the kick drum by layering and mixing another kick.

I do intend to check out, read buy about four of these things. I'm obsessed with drums.
Is this easy money for the sample producers. I feel the most efficient way would be for me as a consumer to just buy sample packs that run on a good software sampler.

I found 'analogue drums" kits today on the net. They even went to tape , yeah give us some real dirt.
Did you go to tape Chris?

They stated at least 8 velocity layers and 6 round robin samples for each dynamic layer. I don't think any other drum sample library declares the number of samples that cycle through to prevent static sounding sounds.

Is it possible to attenuate a sample with an amplitude envelope and have it sound natural? Maybe just leave some sustain so you still get the natural decay but it is lower in level?

When I listened to the EZDrummer demos of james browns drummers, Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks, I thought that Jabos kit sounded closest to the funky drummer snare sound. Ironic cause Clyde was the drummer on that track.

They didn't real get the kicks low mid pop sound. Maybe that is distortion in the recording process?

Something special about that recording. The Snare is mystically gun shot like in punchiness.
I assuming late 60s early 70s drums are uniquely punchy because of a dynamic recording with less mics but really slamming tape. How else could you get that punch.

Gabriel Roth cuts the lows of the drums to tape so that the mids and highs saturate more, then boosts them after tape. That's the sound old school hip hop sampled.

Does the snare in the Gregory song I listed have any characteristics you could recognise like tuning etc?

Or should I just shut up buy some products because they definitely have close drum sounds?

How much editing is possible in the average drum software?
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I wanted to ask you directly.
Um, well I may be a very particular person when it comes to drum sounds. The funk drum sound can have more decay than this example.

I was wondering about the options in regards to tuning and decay (amp enc) or transient designer.

I guess I was hoping more for a challenge to get as close as possible to this particular sound.

I think it is a very dampened but crisp snare and clicky kick drum. But I would definitely assume this is what a high tuned snare would sound like.

I don't have experience recording real drums.
I also note that you can layer drums in some drum softwares. I think Steven Slates video demo he was adding more click to the kick drum by layering and mixing another kick.

I do intend to check out, read buy about four of these things. I'm obsessed with drums.
Is this easy money for the sample producers. I feel the most efficient way would be for me as a consumer to just buy sample packs that run on a good software sampler.

I found 'analogue drums" kits today on the net. They even went to tape , yeah give us some real dirt.

They stated at least 8 velocity layers and 6 round robin samples for each dynamic layer. I don't think any other drum sample library declares the number of samples that cycle through to prevent static sounding sounds.

Is it possible to attenuate a sample with an amplitude envelope and have it sound natural? Maybe just leave some sustain so you still get the natural decay but it is lower in level?

When I listened to the EZDrummer demos of james browns drummers, Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks, I thought that Jabos kit sounded closest to the funky drummer snare sound. Ironic cause Clyde was the drummer on that track.

They didn't real get the kicks low mid pop sound. Maybe that is distortion in the recording process?

Something special about that recording. The Snare is mystically gun shot like in punchiness.
I assuming late 60s early 70s drums are uniquely punchy because of a dynamic recording with less mics but really slamming tape. How else could you get that punch.

Gabriel Roth cuts the lows of the drums to tape so that the mids and highs saturate more, then boosts them after tape. That's the sound old school hip hop sampled.

Does the snare in the Gregory song I listed have any characteristics you could recognise like tuning etc?

Or should I just shut up buy some products because they definitely have close drum sounds?

i think the software is just as important... i find bfd unusable because of its midi response and am looking to get the one up from ezdrummer because it has both sounds and is also well designed software

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz App
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post

Yes.

Quote:
Superior has a suite of fx, including a TD type effect.

Quote:
I agree on the dampened snare and clicky bass drum. Both can be found in C&V. I wouldn't call the Isaac's snare high tuned. For me it's medium tuned.

Quote:
No, but we recorded through a rare and rich EMI TGI console.

Quote:
I think most other drum software has more.

Quote:
Most drum software (including Superior) has a mixer included. You also get to edit individual kit pieces for volume, plus play around with individual mic levels, bleeds etc.

Quote:
Medium pitch, played centre head (no rimshots), very dampened.

Quote:
Quite a bit.
24th February 2014
Old 24th February 2014
Gear interested

Very interesting
Hi Roman
I'm a root radics addikt too and obsess by the drum in this music
Here somes of my personal research :

In later 70's / early 80 they have the best studio for this record : Channel One

and a very special and talented guy / engineer : Scientist
And very good gears too

For kick drum , a friend told me to test the "coin" trick" on beater of kick drum for "smack" sound

For snare , a Luddy 400 or old Roger , medium tuned , maybe wallet / Gel or paper on snare to reduce ring and find the right color .The head is important too..coated maybe and old , like the strings in the bass ( never change them : )

ROOM is the key also , for FAT drum sound you must record the drum in the corner with drumbooth or equivalent , in this way u have a "special bass boost for all the kit, and give a good punch to the drum

Same for toms , place MD421 inside tom , no resonance head , u can put a tea towel if you want dry tom ( More low tuning = more muffling )

And HIT the drum
See Style Scott , he play drum very loud , and hat / groove very sweet with accent )

In VST format I think BFD 2 is the best software to find that sound because the raw file is good, u can trick everything !!! i love this software ...maybe we can wait a special library with muffled snare etc ....or i create this !!!

I test all the plugins the better's for me are NI 60/ 70's abbey Road ( with good fx chain ) , Epik Drum for BFD and Wavefactory Tea towel for "Snare rockers sound" like Sly Dunbar ..

See also this link above , Prince Fatty record a good drummer with very good gear , not the same sound like Night Nurse , but a good starpoint and very good IR included

Rogers Big R Dub Kit Drum Sample pack | Introduction

For Mixing & Dubwise
The best result i have for mixing reggae is Nebula
Here a link i post in the forum to find the "right" chain for the right sound

• View topic - How to get that "Vintage" Reggae Dub sound ?

if u have find information for a good vintage sample library tell me please

BigUp for all

Sorry for bad english , i m french
24th February 2014
Old 24th February 2014
Gear interested

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search