Quantizing guitars in Logic
Old 1st May 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quantizing guitars in Logic

I'm aware of the flex editor and use it but when I'm playing 16th or 8th notes and in a rush to get a few layers of guitar recorded, I wish there was a way to quantise the notes automatically like I can with midi so the transients snap to 1/8 or 1/16th.

Am I missing something here? Seems strange to have such a great feature in Logic but not be able to snap them to the grid.
Old 1st May 2012
  #2
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
I'll skip the obligatory practice more.

Have you considered simply creating a set of samples for the song? By doing that you can control their placement on the timeline with great precision -- whereas trying to use robots to 'sense' where each hit's temporal center is is a bit of a clusterfudge, since varying transients tend to 'fool' the robots.
Old 1st May 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I have thought of that but I'd probably spend so much time nudging regions to get the transients to be on the grid.

I do need to practice more, 18 years playing guitar and timing has always been a weakness.
Old 1st May 2012
  #4
Do you own a metronome?
Old 1st May 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
No but when I get chance (I'm usually writing/recording music 8 hours a day) I do playing to the click in Logic.
Old 1st May 2012
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
No but when I get chance (I'm usually writing/recording music 8 hours a day) I do playing to the click in Logic.
Well that is damn awesome!!

I have found nothing replaces sitting down and running your parts with a click/metronome for timing. Not playing with a drum beat, just a single tick, tick, tick. You have to train your muscle memory to feel what it's like to be right on time or right off if you choose, and only hours with a solid click will do that. At least in my experience.
Old 1st May 2012
  #7
Gear maniac
 

You can absolutely do exactly what you are asking about. Read up on quantising audio in the manual. It's pretty straight forward.
Old 1st May 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Melodyne can quantize Audio
Old 1st May 2012
  #9
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
RARStudios's Avatar
Flex time. Polyphonic. Click below the wave form. Nudge, quantize, etc.
Old 1st May 2012
  #10
Or monophonic if it's just single note runs, I believe that would be a better choice.
Old 1st May 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
No but when I get chance (I'm usually writing/recording music 8 hours a day) I do playing to the click in Logic.
From one player to the next quantizing always = artifacts.
And this sounds awful to my ear.


So in Logic is a metronome so you have to practice more thats it- it also helps your ear to identify rhythms much better... so you only win with training.
Old 1st May 2012
  #12
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I do need to practice more, 18 years playing guitar and timing has always been a weakness.

Old 2nd May 2012
  #13
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I have thought of that but I'd probably spend so much time nudging regions to get the transients to be on the grid.

I do need to practice more, 18 years playing guitar and timing has always been a weakness.


I know I could always stand to play more -- or at least play smarter.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

18 years?
Maybe guitar is not your instrument.
Quantized guitar sounds awfull.
Quantizing drums also sounds awfull.
There,i said it.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
I know players which play longer as 18 yrs and their timing is awful just because they are lazy... Tracking in logic really made my timing tight. And yes it was quite a few years 6 years recording here and there every day - it hammers the klick in your brain.

It also gives you the freedom of varying the time if it needs to vary- you get a better feeling for swing-feel because your brain knows what tight timing means... and how a more free timing should flow.

Just train it every day for a few 10-20 minuets and you fast see results that your tracking is getting better an better. Start at lower BPMs such as 75 go up two BPM after 2 days and see where you can get after 2 moths go back a few BPMs or start to play eights.....

Buy the book - guitar discipline....it like timing drills..
Old 2nd May 2012
  #16
Harmless Wacko
 

Enhance timing plug.

Or yer gonna hafta sweat it out in Flex or something like Melodyne.

BOTH of which are fraught with artifacts... sometimes in places you wouldn't suspect would be problematic.

Bottom line. Either spend the time in tracking getting tight performances or yer doing in mix.

End of story.

Still no free lunch.

Which is great and as it should be.

SM.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #17
Gear maniac
 

In the sample editor window hit factory than quantize engine. You milage may vary.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DSpec1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
18 years?
Maybe guitar is not your instrument.
Quantized guitar sounds awfull.
Quantizing drums also sounds awfull.
There,i said it.
There is a chance that this individual is highly proficient but has become timing challenged due to playing alone. One gets lazy playing by oneself.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 View Post
There is a chance that this individual is highly proficient but has become timing challenged due to playing alone. One gets lazy playing by oneself.
Anything's possible.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Anything's possible.
possibly
Old 2nd May 2012
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
I know players which play longer as 18 yrs and their timing is awful just because they are lazy... Tracking in logic really made my timing tight. And yes it was quite a few years 6 years recording here and there every day - it hammers the klick in your brain.

It also gives you the freedom of varying the time if it needs to vary- you get a better feeling for swing-feel because your brain knows what tight timing means... and how a more free timing should flow.

Just train it every day for a few 10-20 minuets and you fast see results that your tracking is getting better an better. Start at lower BPMs such as 75 go up two BPM after 2 days and see where you can get after 2 moths go back a few BPMs or start to play eights.....

Buy the book - guitar discipline....it like timing drills..
I agree with this ; before doing the amount of playing to a click as I have been in Logic ( and now in Cubase ) daily for the past 7 years, I was notorious for "rushing" when playing live. Now, my time is amazingly "on", and find myself quantizing less and less ( I'm a keyboardist ). It's fun to see just how on the beat I can now play, thanks to the daily "click" practice in Logic/Cubase.

Give it a try for a long while, and I'll bet your time improves magically.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Most of the music I'm commisioned to do doesn't have guitars, so for the last 4 years, I've just spent so much time playing piano, strings, ambient background music etc. But I've been given a whole soundtrack to do which is all anthemic rock type stuff.

The biggest problem I have with timing is playing continuous notes that are meant to be right on the click.

I've found no problems with flextime, since I adjust the raw clean guitar audio before I put it through an amp simp.

I think I'll check out Melodyne and get into a practice routine when all this work is out the way.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
pinkheadedbug's Avatar
 

Usually with quanitizing guitar there's no need to quantize the whole thing. Just fix the worst offenders, and the rest usually fall more or less into place. Also, before you go flexing around, try shifting the entire track backwards or fowards to bring it closer to being on the beat. Many players have good steady timing but play a bit ahead or behind the beat. You can really tighten a track up by doing this without losing any quality. It may change the feel slightly, which might be a good or a bad thing.

(My playing is generally about 20ms ahead of the beat, for example)
Old 2nd May 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
kim olesen's Avatar
 

The time it takes to edit your take into place will often surpass the time it takes to just record a better take.
Old 2nd May 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
NYCruiser's Avatar
Just make a groove template out of the guitar transients and quantize the metronome to match it!
Old 2nd May 2012
  #26
Gear Head
 

Just a reminder that when using Flex in Logic, to use Polyphonic and make sure you tick the "complex" option..no artifacts (that I can hear anyway)
Old 2nd May 2012
  #27
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Flextime on, choose 'Slicing', go into the part to check the flex markers have ended up where you want them (+/- for more/less), come out, quantize like midi to your hearts content.

And then marvel at the spastic plastic coming from your speakers.
Old 3rd May 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Amber's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Just realised I can use the quantize in the top left corner to get great results on polyphonic with the complex box ticked. Anything else and I'm hearing artifacts. This'll save me a lot of time with those Edge and Snow Patrol type 16th notes layered in tracks.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
STARSKI / Music Computers
0
initialsBB / Music Computers
16
luctellier / Music Computers
0
Jimbo / Music Computers
3

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.