Login / Register

Macbook Pro enough to drive PT and Plugins?
New Reply
Subscribe
Mattwilson02
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Head

Macbook Pro enough to drive PT and Plugins?

I will soon be upgrading my computer from an old iMac but I am not sure which route to take in doing so! My favorite option right now looks like a Macbook Pro (QuadCore i7) with two thunderbolt cinema displays and just leave the macbook on a stand acting as any other computer tower would. I am still not sure how thunderbolt works though, will it be replacing FireWire (I've heard this somewhere), I thought it was just another Hi-Res screen connection, why would it replace FW? I need a FireWire port to hookup my Profire 2626 and External Drive, so if thunderbolt is to replace FireWire, I can't go that route.

If I still indeed get my FW ports along with thunderbolt, I'd love to go this route because of its portability if I need to take a laptop somewhere. The real question is though, can a quad core i7 MacBook Pro handle Pro tools with ease?

I've also noticed that the difference between the nicer 13" and the 15" is just a nicer graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5). What would I benefit from as an Audio Engineering Guru from a nicer graphics card? Oh and the 13" has 2.8 GHz rather than the 15" 's 2.2 GHz, more options to weigh in. What is my best choice?

Thanks in advanced for any insight, as a computer upgrade for me is not considered a cheap or lightly taken investment. If it boils down to it and all that I can make work efficiently is a Mac Pro, I'll just have to suck it up. I'd really like for a Macbook to work though.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

You will be impressed. I'm not sure of the limit but all of the MacBook pros even the airs can handle more than you'd expect them to. Try to go for a quad core model of you can, it will future proof you a little in my opinion. Wait for ivy bridge if you can they are coming very soon for MBP.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Mattwilson02
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
You will be impressed. I'm not sure of the limit but all of the MacBook pros even the airs can handle more than you'd expect them to. Try to go for a quad core model of you can, it will future proof you a little in my opinion. Wait for ivy bridge if you can they are coming very soon for MBP.

I'm definitely not settling for less than a QuadCore. Thanks for the response! I'm hoping a MBP is in my near future! Just to readdress my questions in case you have answers, do you know if FW is still on the thunderbolt MBPs? Will I benefit from a nicer graphics card? Would a 13" 2.8 GHz be a better idea than the 15" with 2.2 GHz (has the graphics)?
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yea MBP still has a FW800 port. The lower 15 inch should be fine. Dedicated graphics is better, all of the models had integrated graphics like the 13inch model but will switch graphics as needed to save battery. The 1GB graphics card probably wont benifit much unless you do video editing or gaming. The 15 inch quad will out perform the 13 inch dual, I'm not sure by how much though since the dual is clocked higher. I'm sure others will chime in. Ivy Bridge Mac Book Pro 13/15 inch models are expected next month however no guarantee it will still have FireWire. If they don't you will be able to get the late 2011 models for around $350 cheaper. MacMall.com always has great deals when they are trying to clear out the older models.

17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Gear maniac

i have 15inch i7 2.2ghz. fast machine but because it's 2.2ghz in logic sometimes with heavy plugins it really struggles. before i had mac pro 4x3ghz the new macbook pro overall performance is better but the old mac pro didn't have problems with single plugins. anyway i wouldn't go back for any desktop machine.
Mattwilson02
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Head

What if I get the 13" 2x4GB memory though? Wouldn't I benefit the same from this as the lower end 15"? Aside from the nicer graphics card that I don't need. I assume if I wait for ivy, it will just allow for more IO options?
Mattwilson02
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Head

Was hoping to hear a little more, so this is just a nice bump
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Charlie-O
I mix all the time on a Early 2011 MBP 2.2Ghz i7 Quad. 8 gigs of ram. Pro Tools an logic, with plenty plugs. In Logic its like I never run out of power. Pro Tools can handle a lot as well.

www.myspace.com/charlieomusic

Grassroots
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear interested

the quad core is one of the best "mobile" processors you can buy. i run an i5, and it works fairly decent for cpu load. Still wish i would've forked out the money for an i7. Basically it depends on how expensive your tracks/plugins are. I would suggest going and looking up ways to lower your overall cpu load (creating a reverb bus rather than a plugin for each track, etc...) If you manage your plugins and signal routing well, you shouldn't have any problem.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search