Lynx Aurora 8 + RME HDSPe AES-32 Cables?
OCDaveWilcox
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear maniac

Lynx Aurora 8 + RME HDSPe AES-32 Cables?

Hey guys I'm going to pick up a Lynx Aurora 8 + RME HDSPe AES-32 PICe card here pretty soon and I know I'll need custom cables to get it going.

However, I'm confused on what exactly I should request from RedCo to make this work. Also the other threads are dealing with the Aurora 16 not the 8 so does that change the cable at all?

I'm pretty set on the RME/Lynx combo as I already had problems with AES16 stability in a past life, and people can't stop raving about total mix and the stability of RME drivers. The extra cost for the card and cable does not bother me.

I am interested in hearing about people who run the RME/Lynx combo though, please let me know your experience.

Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to ask Red Co to build for me? I need two cables right? One in and One out?

Thank you!!
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDaveWilcox View Post
Hey guys I'm going to pick up a Lynx Aurora 8 + RME HDSPe AES-32 PICe card here pretty soon and I know I'll need custom cables to get it going.

Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to ask Red Co to build for me? I need two cables right? One in and One out?

Thank you!!
I don't know quite what you are talking about, but if you are referring to the dsub 25 pin digital cabling it is pretty easy.

You can also find these cables on line, ready made. And then there is ebay.

For the 25 pin dsub pinout there are two standards, Yamaha and Tascam. Lynx follows one, RME the other. Your RME manual has the RME pinout, the Lynx manual should have the Lynx pinout, which is also available on line. Each dsub connector handles 8 channels of input and output, rather than having an input cable and an output cable. If you tell Redco what you are doing, they'll understand.

Also, the company that makes cables for RME makes a small adapter to swap the pinout from one to the other.

It seems that a few people prefer the RME over the Lynx. I asked a lot of users before I bought my AES card last spring. I also ended up with the RME card, but I have other converters.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'm going to be adding an RME HDSPe AES-32 to my setup soon, connecting to my Lynx Aurora 16. Gonna use it to run PTHD 10 in native mode for mixing, and on the TDM cards (HD2) for live multitracking, all in the same computer, I can't wait!

I have a Lynx Aurora 8 for sale at the moment, PM me if you're interested.
OCDaveWilcox
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear maniac

I see the BNC clock connectors on the RME and on the Lynx, do I need to hook those up?
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see the BNC clock connectors on the RME and on the Lynx, do I need to hook those up?
Use AES 1&2 for sync, set in the RME applet.
OCDaveWilcox
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
Use AES 1&2 for sync, set in the RME applet.
Thanks for the reply.

So do I need to hook up the BNCs or not?

By setting AES 1&2 does that mean I'll be using the Aurora for clock?

Forgive my ignorance.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

So do I need to hook up the BNCs or not?

By setting AES 1&2 does that mean I'll be using the Aurora for clock?

Forgive my ignorance.
No BNC. AES 1&2 will select the converter as the master. You have a choice as to where you derive the clock. If you want the RME to be the master, set it as the master. My preference was to allow one of my converter sets to be the master and to use the already existing AES connection to do this. So I selected the RME applet setting AES 1&2.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search