NLS vs VCC
Dot.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear nut

NLS vs VCC

I downloaded demo of NLS, started playing with it and im pretty impressed with it, sounds really good. I was planning to get VCC before but couldnt demo it since i have ilok1. Anybody compared those 2 yet? which one is more interesting in your opinions
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Vcc is amazing sir. Sounds just great. And I use a console
Dot.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear nut

thanks i wanna try both 1st before i'll choose what to get. NLS is very good, i cant lie it does the job
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear interested
I have had VCC for about 9 months now. I love the way it sounds. I downloaded the demo for NLS today and threw it on the 2 buss and some tracks. I went back and forth between VCC and NLS, and agonized about which sounded better. I really wanted to like NLS, and I do think it sounds ok, but VCC is better, I think. NLS couldn't touch The Trident, Neve, and RCA consoles of the VCC. They just didn't add the dimension VCC does.

Demo both and see which one you like better, easy.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE View Post
Vcc is amazing sir. Sounds just great. And I use a console
Then why do you use VCC?

-R
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Then why do you use VCC?

-R

Come on dude, where do you think we are?

Dot.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear nut

for some reason im a fan of ssl boards, if VCC only had that one. worst case scenario ill just but VCC and NLS
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot. View Post
for some reason im a fan of ssl boards, if VCC only had that one. worst case scenario ill just but VCC and NLS
SSL 4k is the Brit 4K on VCC.
Dot.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
SSL 4k is the Brit 4K on VCC.
ok so i guess vcc is a way to go, ima demo it 1st tho, i need to get ilok2
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear
Is the NLS demo ILock? I know waves ditched it recently in the 64bit update so was wondering. Looks like something to check out...I just don't do ILock :p
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear addict

No ilok but you need to get a llicense from the cloud.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Queer View Post
I have had VCC for about 9 months now. I love the way it sounds. I downloaded the demo for NLS today and threw it on the 2 buss and some tracks. I went back and forth between VCC and NLS, and agonized about which sounded better. I really wanted to like NLS, and I do think it sounds ok, but VCC is better, I think. NLS couldn't touch The Trident, Neve, and RCA consoles of the VCC. They just didn't add the dimension VCC does.

Demo both and see which one you like better, easy.
Definitely feel the same way! I've also had VCC for a little while now and have been demoing NLS for the last couple of days. Agonized between the two in all console settings and variations and IMHO, NLS can't touch VCC in terms of clarity, dimension and depth of field. Sure NLS seems to saturate more if pushed but produces some weird sounds which I never remember hearing on any real console. VCC seems much more user friendly and pretty much has a 'set and forget' type of operation compared to the constant fiddling around you need to do with NLS to get anything close to being useful.

I also really wanted to like NLS and think it isn't too bad only IF VCC wasn't in existence...

In any case, pretty cool times to have all the options and I think it will all only get even better in time. So who's excited about the UAD offering of console emulation that we'll be sure to hear about soon ? (please don't hurry, I have no slots left in my rig )

Charles
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post

Come on dude, where do you think we are?

Ha. You'll never convince me that VCC is "gear".

-R
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear nut

I'm sticking with the VCC
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear Head

I could be wrong...but although both VCC and NLS are console emulations that provide "summing" isn't NLS on another level in that they didn't just emulate one channel strip from those boards but did 32 individual ones (x3 boards)...and also added VCAs?

I haven't demoed either yet but own AC1...and although its solid but limited to one channel I assume both VCC and NLS are a step up...perhaps VCC does sound better but the specs of NLS are intriguing in terms of bringing a truer representation of the effects of using a console. Ultimately, in the end, the ears should be the judge.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

That's the thing: They DON'T provide summing. They provide "character" on a DAW channel and many channels of "character" stacked, provide the "console sound" and then there is a master plugin, (on the master) to control them all.

The plugs DON'T SUM, they STACK...........
MediaMix
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
MediaMix

VCC and the previous are very subtle. You can get subtle or an actual sound with NLS.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

I own Stripbus and am currently demoing NLS. I wish I could demo VCC. The need for an iLok 2, even for just the demo is ridiculous. I have no need for an iLok 2, and I'm not gonna buy one just to demo a plugin. I wonder if Slate stands to lose more money from iLok 2 exclusivity than they would from piracy that would take place if they ditched the iLok.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I own Stripbus and am currently demoing NLS. I wish I could demo VCC. The need for an iLok 2, even for just the demo is ridiculous. I have no need for an iLok 2, and I'm not gonna buy one just to demo a plugin. I wonder if Slate stands to lose more money from iLok 2 exclusivity than they would from piracy that would take place if they ditched the iLok.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App
So what are you opinions, Stripbus vs NLS? I have Stripbus,Satson and a console. I could demo NLS but I will probably purchase it if I do. I'm trying not to put anymore unneeded options on me now. I can't tell you how many must have plugs I have that I am not using much.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
So what are you opinions, Stripbus vs NLS? I have Stripbus,Satson and a console. I could demo NLS but I will probably purchase it if I do. I'm trying not to put anymore unneeded options on me now. I can't tell you how many must have plugs I have that I am not using much.
I hear on that last statement. I actually JUST got Stripbus a few days ago. My plan was to wait to demo NLS until I got a firm handle on Stripbus, but curiosity got the best of me and I started the demo anyway. Lol. But I was really digging Stripbus and all the extras is brings to the table. i.e. Ducking, EQ sections, bus comp with wet/dry knob. Also has 4 "consoles" and I've barely gotten to know them.

So far I really haven't had a chance to properly evaluate them. Properly would mean mixing raw tracks into them. Though I have toyed around with mixing drums through them (using Toontrack stuff). I honestly like them both. They also can both be as subtle or as dirty as you want. The Waves interface is way way prettier and slick than Stripbus, but $29 vs $249, so you be the judge of which of those is more important.

What I have gathered so far, and this is just my ears and opinion, is that I like Stripbus for just slapping I on all the channels and leaving it be. It might not be "better" at subtle than NLS, but I like its flavor of subtle better. But when it comes to pushing the drive and dirtying things up intentionally, I think NLS is top notch. It keeps it's clarity further into the drive. Whereas Stripbus just plain old dirties up with the usually loss of clarity. Either is a good thing or a bad thing depending on what the task at hand is.

All in all, having a variety of tools is awesome, and with a $29 price point, it's sort of silly not to get Stripbus as another tool in the toolbox. The down side is, the more similar tools you have, the more it becomes unclear which you should use seeing as you typically instantiate these plugins when the song is just being to be recorded or mixed, and hasn't taken on its true form yet.

VCC really does look appealing, but again, buying a $50 dongle in order to demo a plugin that I might not like or need is silly. Anyone who wants to demo VCC but doesn't have an iLok 2 might as well just buy RC-Tube with the iLok 2 included. At least you end up with a tool you can use sometimes, even if its not your first choice.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear nut

VCC adds wonderful character to my mixes, the actual summing is done by my D-Box.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

I love my VCC, but NLS is OK too...
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Well , first , the workflow difference :

In favor of NLS : when you group instances in VCC , they will all have the same controls AND emulation , witch is totally independant in NLS or you can make it dependant ...in both case you have a comon drive, bypass, noise ....

In favor of NLS : you have the choice between 32 chanelels emu ...and they do sound diffrents !! (check this : Waves NLS Channel Tour - YouTube)

In Favor of VCC : Names labelling on the plugin GUI , oversampling that make a hudge diff , calibartion , CPU hit

Sounds ?

Well , when i tried VCC ssl emu i wasn't smiling as when i tried NLS ..because it really have those characteristics !! ....VCC is very subtile ...and its impact is really great with the Bus instances that really bring some magic on the table .....7
NLS is just exceelnt on track and good on buses .....the stength of nls is that it can be VCC and NLS ....

Buying NLS is a good buy for sure and you wont regret , same goes for VCC exept if you want that waoh effects that VCC will not give ....
DSK
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

@ Jeezo
Actually the WOW effect that VCC had for me and made me spend my limited plugin funds was the fact that it didn't do much to the sound itself or put a blanket on it.

It just changed the way it was sitting in the mix, gave it more life, presence, more depth and it felt more natural.

But it ísn't a instant wow if you are looking for major transient changes, lots of harmonic distortion etc.

Also you have to try it for a while to set the proper gainstaging.

VCC is more of a feel effect rather than heard effect and I love it (VCC bus + SatSon bus with the modern setting are amazing together! the combined crosstalk is just lovely)

As for NLS I can't comment because after seeing your videos I've decided I will not demo it as I will probably want it as it does a good thing different to VCC.
I have to get UBK-1 and probably Character and together they do more for a bit less than NLS so sorry Waves a bit too pricey (for me) and bad timing.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Well , first , the workflow difference :

In favor of NLS : when you group instances in VCC , they will all have the same controls AND emulation , witch is totally independant in NLS or you can make it dependant ...in both case you have a comon drive, bypass, noise ....

In favor of NLS : you have the choice between 32 chanelels emu ...and they do sound diffrents !! (check this : Waves NLS Channel Tour - YouTube)

In Favor of VCC : Names labelling on the plugin GUI , oversampling that make a hudge diff , calibartion , CPU hit

Sounds ?

Well , when i tried VCC ssl emu i wasn't smiling as when i tried NLS ..because it really have those characteristics !! ....VCC is very subtile ...and its impact is really great with the Bus instances that really bring some magic on the table .....7
NLS is just exceelnt on track and good on buses .....the stength of nls is that it can be VCC and NLS ....

Buying NLS is a good buy for sure and you wont regret , same goes for VCC exept if you want that waoh effects that VCC will not give ....
Jeezo, I haven't tried NLS just yet, but I will. Still, I love VCC, it is an amazing plug. This mix was done with it

http://soundcloud.com/mistamin/klepto134-der-letzte-meiner
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Talio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
the stength of nls is that it can be VCC and NLS ....
I don't agree, NLS can't do what VCC does. In fact, it doesn't even get close to it. VCC can't do what NLS does either but that's good because I wouldn't have used it for over a year and a half. NLS is a character plug-in, a tool for saturation and drastic changes (users don't even need to drive it to hear its drastic effects), while VCC is a tool for cohesiveness and homogeneity, something that doesn't change your mix that much but helps to make elements part of a whole. Nebula is still the king, though, nothing can touch AlexB's CLC (SSL 4000E), yet.

People want to hear drastic changes and NLS does that... that's why people are loving it but in my opinion it doesn't honor its name. It's just another saturation plug-in in my opinion.

Now, if we're talking about "attitude" and "character" to shape your elements/mix, then NLS is the king.

A console is for mixing not for shaping a sound.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
@ Jeezo
Actually the WOW effect that VCC had for me and made me spend my limited plugin funds was the fact that it didn't do much to the sound itself or put a blanket on it.

It just changed the way it was sitting in the mix, gave it more life, presence, more depth and it felt more natural.

But it ísn't a instant wow if you are looking for major transient changes, lots of harmonic distortion etc.

Also you have to try it for a while to set the proper gainstaging.

VCC is more of a feel effect rather than heard effect and I love it (VCC bus + SatSon bus with the modern setting are amazing together! the combined crosstalk is just lovely)

As for NLS I can't comment because after seeing your videos I've decided I will not demo it as I will probably want it as it does a good thing different to VCC.
I have to get UBK-1 and probably Character and together they do more for a bit less than NLS so sorry Waves a bit too pricey (for me) and bad timing.
Don't think twice about ubk , this is one of my desert island ....for the nls the wow effect i'm talking about is not a crazy impact on the sound (drive set to 0!) but the characteristic ....sound sit well from start , small drive/compression on drums , can't describe it but this was my 1988-96 years souvenir here in an instant !! on vcc , for exemple the neve emu is just unusable on an already done mix and sounds (to me) like a "loudness) knob with bass and treble boost ...the ssl trident api were great ....the tube good to but not stellar ....

what i'm saying is that mixing in both , when i bypass vcc the mix is still great , with nls : lifeless , cleaner maybe but .......digital ...lol
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012

Mistan Min ..you must struglle with all those "s" on the track ....you did the mix , not vcc ....

to conclude , they're both good to have and complementary ,
for one biginner : vcc = safe

for a gearslutz : both

for a good enginneer that knows when to not other treat : nls is enough
M2E
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
M2E
Lives for gear

They both are different and both sound great.
I love the way I can push the drive +12bd into the VCC on the groups and the way I get this open but tight sound.
I'm starting to love the NLS but, something is wrong with the SSL version when pushed. Starts to static really badly. Does Mark's board do that?
I'm in love with the Nevo, dam this thing can be pushed and feel incredible and pumping. Great for Dance/Hip Hop.
Also, the EMI on an 808, nothing better. Try it, push the 808 into it, WOW...

I love them both!!! Not sure which one I like better as of yet.

Marc
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

I would like to hear some sound examples, comparing the two.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search