Login / Register

Actually what is the "Processor Scheduling" in Windows 7 do with the audio quality?
New Reply
Subscribe
parco
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Never say overtweaking

Send a message via ICQ to parco Send a message via MSN to parco
Actually what is the "Processor Scheduling" in Windows 7 do with the audio quality?

What is the "Background Service" option do with the audio sound quality, even with ASIO?
Are there any most details concepts to let us know?
Isn't ASIO just call up the audio hardware directly by native low-level C++ and load and owned by the software program itself?
then why is it related to the "Background Service" of "Processor Scheduling"?
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
Aren't DAWs considered background services so you have to set them to have priority with IRQ and what not

Guitar/Backline Tech and Mobile Recording services in the Los Angeles area!
Custom stompboxes and cabling for stage and studio.

Die-hard Phila Eagles fan!
parco
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Never say overtweaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackstallion View Post
parco you are overtweaking your system. i saw your other thread.

all that stuff you're doing isnt gonna make your music sound better or your computer perform noticably better. The latency introduced by video card or usb cable is more than anything created by internal IRQ setting in 99% of cases.
No overtweaking here for me, tweaking never say too much.

Of course I've stoped some services or hardware i can.
But some else tweaking can all improve e.g. IRQ priority and MMCSS tweaking can improve sightly audible differences, no matter how much or how less they can improve.
But tweakings are never enough, while it can still improve the sound better but not affect the stability of system.

So now sirs, may you please just go back to the topic and really discuss about this proper topic?
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

What? Tweaking makes the sound quality better? Never heard that before.
I think the original idea of the "background services" thing was to give the soundcard (the background service) priority over the actual DAW (foreground service).
God only knows how you are improving actual sound quality by tweaking IRQ assignments. I used to tweak for system performance when computers were less powerful than they are now. These days I don't bother. I can run everything fine on a clean, untweaked Windows 7 install.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

-- NO NEED TO TWEAK W7 FOR AUDIO --

There are some minimal ways to tweak W7 but not for audio quality. When we use ASIO drivers they are designed to be work independently from Windows internal settings... Unless you have specific problem or knowledge no reason to IMO.

The Background setting is for using multiple applications (like alt-tab switching the program out of focus).
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Guru

As others suggest, the only real way that tweaking/optimizing your set-up is going to 'improve' the sound quality of your work is if there was something wrong in the first place and you were getting dropouts or glitches that prevented proper operation.

I'm a big believer in optimizing to get the most out of older hardware -- I run a 6 year old, refurbished machine that cost ~$400 [before I stuck an extra 1.75 TB of drive in and on it, added in a TI FW card and bought a monitor and DVD burner for it] so optimization is certainly important to me.

But unless you're 'running out of machine' and that's causing malfunction (as noted above), the benefits of 'hard-tweaking' (the good kind -- not the meth kind ) are likely to not be too obvious.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

You need to check with your DAW maker. Some work best when the setting is to prioritize background services, others prefer the other setting.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
parco
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Never say overtweaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
You need to check with your DAW maker. Some work best when the setting is to prioritize background services, others prefer the other setting.
are you meaning the daw software or the hardwares or the machine?
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parco View Post
are you meaning the daw software or the hardwares or the machine?
To clarify: none of this will change the quality of the audio. But some DAW softwares perform better with the setting at foreground, some with the setting at background. Read the manual. Follow the recommendation.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

I guess, parco is talking about sound quality including the performance of ASIO drivers, pops and clicks. Other folks are talking about sound quality much more in a narrow sense (HF/LF frequency contents etc, when people argue "DAW X sounds better", kind of stuff).

Set that confusion aside, processor scheduling in win 7 doesn't have a big impact on the ASIO/DAW performance these days. At least in my hands with several interfaces from RME, Focusrite, and M-Audio.

You can change the processor scheduling from control panel, and choose the priority to "program", or "background service", but I barely experienced the difference in Win 7 environment (actually, I should say zero experience). However, when I was using XP, it had some impactcts, such as better buffer setup for ASIO drivers.

Here's the NI's Win7 tweak reference, which is a bit too much in my opinion, but sort of well summarized.
Windows 7 Tuning Tips for Audio Processing
parco
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Never say overtweaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
To clarify: none of this will change the quality of the audio. But some DAW softwares perform better with the setting at foreground, some with the setting at background. Read the manual. Follow the recommendation.
So how do you think about the Cubase? Would "Programs" or ""Background Services" be better for this software?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search