New Reply
Subscribe
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Charlie-O
Kontakt - Synth Library

Most synth libraries don't seem up to par in KONTAKT. What is the top of the line synth library for KONTAKT?

I try to keep all my production needs in KONTAKT only at the moment, so please don't recommend another VI synth.

Thanks.

www.myspace.com/charlieomusic

Grassroots
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

The top of the line is the one that sells the most music for you.

Not to be too snarky but the question posed is pointless. You match the synth to your requirements...not find a synth package and make it fit your music.
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

@papante

That is well understood. I have tried or demoed quite a few KONTAKT synth libraries. They sound, dead lifeless, and mediocre. And it's not because they're sample based... Look at omnisphere.
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

A shame how most here instead of talking about gear... And suggestions, seem to always give out philosophy. I don't need that.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Reaktor seems lifeless?
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

@kgdrum

No. But I am looking for KONTAKT libraries.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Fair enough but as Kontakt is a sampler I use it as a sampler for synths I use Reaktor,Razor,Massive etc...
IMO different applications,different tools required.
Read the op again,my bad I didn't understand you wanted to limit the choice to Kontakt.
2.8 Quad Intel(2008)MacPro24 gig ram,OSX10.83, DP8.04, RME FF 800,Great River ME-1NV preamp,a few microphones,NI Komplete ,UAD....assorted plugs,VI's... Vdrums (TD20 expanded) Superior2, Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata PowerSnakes and Conditioners,too many hard drives... ESATA
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Gear nut

I quite like the "analog monsters" synth library from Pink Noise studio. But your question is very vague and open-ended. I can say I like that library, but I have no clue if it will fit your definition of "lifeless" etc...

1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Gear addict

try hollow sun, tronsonic and synth magic. I've bought products from all of them and have always been impressed.

Sent from my SC-02B using Gearslutz App
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

@gingataff.

Listening to the demos, I like what hollowsun has going on. It's seems like mostly single cycle or short samples with a really nice vintage feel.
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Really I wish there was something close to Omnisphere in KONTAKT. Omni's patches are mostly sample based but yet it feels like a synth.

I use a external sequencer for most of my production, and KONTAKT is my sound module. The synth department is the only place it lacks to me. I
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Synths I like:

Omega
Se-1
Yamaha motif
Vanguard (one sound)
Exs-2
Omnisphere: leads and pads
Access Virus
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

hollowsun is a great company,they've been around for years......
1st alternative libraries I ever bought were from them about 1987 for a Casio CZ1 I still have gathering dust lol
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O View Post
Most synth libraries don't seem up to par in KONTAKT. What is the top of the line synth library for KONTAKT?

I try to keep all my production needs in KONTAKT only at the moment, so please don't recommend another VI synth.

Thanks.
No disrespect, but this is a pretty crazy question.

First of all to me the Kontakt Synth Library is just a tiny sampler and extremely limited range of synth sounds.

Since you insist on a sample library, what kind of synth sounds are you looking for? Leads? Bass? Pads? A package that has it all?

What kind of synth? Moogs? Arps? Rolands? Oberheims? FM synthesis? Fairlight CMI? Rompler synthesizer? All of these can produce distinct sounds.

Im sure if you are a bit more specific...especially describing "lifeless dead and mediocre" then users could give better answers.

Good luck!
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

@greggybud

Non taken.

I am looking for leads and pad based sounds. Subtractive synth for the leads, Fm and subtractive for the pads. I have worked with all the outboard rollers for years, and am used to that style of workflow, so I am hoping to "beef up" KONTAKT with some more synth options.

Thanks for even looking at my post, and making suggestions.

It is appreciated.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Cool..I have no suggestions because I use synths.

But now with that description I'm sure other users could give a better reply.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Synthmagic is really cool.

Wave Alchemy Pro II as well.
Charlie-O
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

@blackmagic

I'm checking out synthmagic demos on you tube. They sound really good.

Wavealchemy sounds pretty good. The interface is well laid out.
Charlie-O
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Looks likes king my own is the best option. Either sample my triton or motif, perhaps combined.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

sonic couture's 'novachord' is the only top notch one i've found.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear interested

You could give a try to native instruments retro machines, or look around for "old" sample libraries cds as kontakt can read emu, akai and Sxx format on the fly. It converts them quite efficiently.
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
A shame how most here instead of talking about gear... And suggestions, seem to always give out philosophy. I don't need that.
I agree and feel for you. Many time I ask for opinions and get a bunch of useless, rude stuff, like "Listen to the demo and decide for yourself."

I also agree that most of the synth libraries are weak. They seem hoakie . . . not solid and lack features and substance. The analog monsters is useful as a collection of presets and the N.I. one called MK2 or something like that is good.

We need more!
Charlie-O
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

If you go through Omnisphere, and listen to what that plug does, it kills Kontakt in the synth department. But Omni uses samples.

The Motif, the Fantom, Nexus, all use samples, and it kills Kontakt in the Synth department.
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you go through Omnisphere, and listen to what that plug does, it kills Kontakt in the synth department. But Omni uses samples.

The Motif, the Fantom, Nexus, all use samples, and it kills Kontakt in the Synth department.

True but Omni and the others are SYNTHS that additionally utilize samples.

Kontakt is a soft SAMPLER with some synth capabilities although somewhat limited.
It was primarily conceived as a sampler not a synth.

IMO we select tools for specific uses,when you need a synth that's what you should use,when you need a sampler that's what you should use.

You can't use the hundreds of 3rd party libraries made for use in Kontakt in Omni,why not complain about that?

If you want a synth,use a synth,whether it's sample based is secondary.

Eric Persing designed Omni as a synth that also utilizes samples,he did not design it to be a sampler that had synth capabilities.
Omnispere being sample based is a small part of Omnis design, it's primarily a synth.

If you want to use a sampler use a sampler,whether it has synth capabilities is secondary(it's icing on the cake).

There's lots of great synths that don't utilize samples as well,it's just a different design concept in the way they've been created.

Companies design a product with the capabilities and focus of intended use in mind.

Kontakt offers uses and functions a synth can't offer and Omni and other synths on the market offer uses and functions Kontakt and other soft based samplers can't offer.

That's why they're all referred to as tools,use different tools depending on the job at hand.

When you need a screwdriver do you complain that a hammer can't do the same job as the screwdriver?
Charlie-O
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
True but Omni and the others are SYNTHS that additionally utilize samples.

Kontakt is a soft SAMPLER with some synth capabilities although somewhat limited.
It was primarily conceived as a sampler not a synth.

IMO we select tools for specific uses,when you need a synth that's what you should use,when you need a sampler that's what you should use.

You can't use the hundreds of 3rd party libraries made for use in Kontakt in Omni,why not complain about that?

If you want a synth,use a synth,whether it's sample based is secondary.

Eric Persing designed Omni as a synth that also utilizes samples,he did not design it to be a sampler that had synth capabilities.
Omnispere being sample based is a small part of Omnis design, it's primarily a synth.

If you want to use a sampler use a sampler,whether it has synth capabilities is secondary(it's icing on the cake).

There's lots of great synths that don't utilize samples as well,it's just a different design concept in the way they've been created.

Companies design a product with the capabilities and focus of intended use in mind.

Kontakt offers uses and functions a synth can't offer and Omni and other synths on the market offer uses and functions Kontakt and other soft based samplers can't offer.

That's why they're all referred to as tools,use different tools depending on the job at hand.

When you need a screwdriver do you complain that a hammer can't do the same job as the screwdriver?
No argument, well said.

I sincerely wish they (NI) would eliminate Battery, and Reaktor, and place them, and their capabilities in Kontakt.
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

dude!
I don't think you truly understand how deep,capable and unique Reaktor or Battery are.
Reaktor is one of the most amazing Synths in the market! lol
Try the other synths based on Reaktor like Razor omg,why do you keep wanting to make a sampler into a synth?
Do you also want to make wine into beer?
A synth is a synth and a sampler is a sampler.
Get over it and learn to utilize these great powerful tools.
Just suggesting the discontinuation of Reaktor and Battery and put their functions into a sampler makes me think you truly don't understand their capabilities.
Take time to learn to use them and I suspect you will not have time to post on this thread for quite a long time! lol
Charlie-O
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
dude!
I don't think you truly understand how deep,capable and unique Reaktor or Battery are.
Reaktor is one of the most amazing Synths in the market! lol
Try the other synths based on Reaktor like Razor omg,why do you keep wanting to make a sampler into a synth?
Do you also want to make wine into beer?
A synth is a synth and a sampler is a sampler.
Get over it and learn to utilize these great powerful tools.
Just suggesting the discontinuation of Reaktor and Battery and put their functions into a sampler makes me think you truly don't understand their capabilities.
Take time to learn to use them and I suspect you will not have time to post on this thread for quite a long time! lol
I understand perfectly the difference between the two (sampler, and synth). But u also understand that this is software we are talking about, and moving the code into Kontakt, or rewriting from the ground up to include Reaktor and Battery as a module is doable. Not necessarily good for everyone, but it would be good for my work flow.

The point if me creating this thread was to find out if u could eliminate all my other "synth" vsts (including Reaktor) and just use Kontakt only for my work. This would be the ideal work flow for me.

As a "fly by night" sound designer, more synth capabilities built in to Kontakt would be a welcome addition. To be honest, I have a feeling that this is where NI is headed anyway...... I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like Reason Racks in Kontakt really soon...
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

I doubt or sincerely hope we don't see the inclusion of reason racks etc into kontakt. It's bad enough that Native Instruments forces you to use Guitar Rig to access some cool DSP like Traktors 12 etc, utilizing a far higher CPU footprint.

No offense, but it seems like you are asking for a salami to be egg salad. Kontakt is a sampler with lots of scripting abilities and modulatable FX built in. It is not intended to replace a synthesizer, although with RetroMachines MK2 etc, it has some decent sounds that can be used in a pinch.

If Native Instruments is trying to shoehorn in everything into one bucket, they are trying to do that with Maschine, believe me.

Omnisphere is a far different beast, more akin to a modern day Kurzweil K2000, in that it may use a lot of sampled waveforms as it's oscillators, but they are merely that. (And it would be really great if you could import your own, which you cannot...).

To me your question is coming off as "why can't my Big Muff pedal also perform delay and ring shifting?" It really just doesn't make sense. If you want a synthesizer to sound more then lifeless and static, then get a synth, not a sample-playback device. Unless you are really good at scripting etc, which seems like making it do something it wasn't really designed to do.

There are some decent libraries out there that capture different synth's essences, I have tried some out, but I generally tend to use real or soft synths for that type of timbre.

Reaktor etc, is a wonderful and deep deep tool, the U-he/XiLs synths etc are great. There are many, many wonderful soft synths and real synths out there. To try and do everything in Kontakt simply won't happen, nor should.
26th October 2013
Old 26th October 2013
Gear maniac

Kontakt

Quote:
I understand perfectly the difference between the two (sampler, and synth). But u also understand that this is software we are talking about, and moving the code into Kontakt, or rewriting from the ground up to include Reaktor and Battery as a module is doable. Not necessarily good for everyone, but it would be good for my work flow . . .
I completely agree and it is doable.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search