Login / Register
 
Ivy Bridge 3770K benchies
New Reply
Subscribe
jcschild
Thread Starter
#1
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,856

Thread Starter
jcschild is offline
Ivy Bridge 3770K benchies

Finally got time to run up a system and benchmark this 3770k i have had forever (well ok 6 or so weeks)

for all you who thought it wise to wait for the Ivy well it wasnt worth it..

Z77 chipset board
16 gig ram
3770k 3.5GHz (turbo to 3.9GHz)
(note this is 100MHz faster than the 2600 and pretty much benches as such)


all these processors are basically priced the same

Dawbench DSP RXC
DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking
RME Mulitface/Cubase 6.5

256 232 RXC compressors
128 223
64 210
32 190

stock 2600 (P67 platform)

256 212
128 214
64 191
32 183

stock 3820 (X79 platform)

256 296
128 288
64 270
32 252

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OVERCLOCKED 4.5GHz

3770k
256 324
128 319
64 291
32 260

2600k 4.7GHz
256 320
128 306
64 270
32 261 <-- tie with 3770k

3930k @ 4.5GHz $300 price jump the 3820 will only do 4.2GHz and showed little improvement over stock speed.. about the same difference as the 2600 to 3770.

256 411
128 393
64 385
32 353


as you can see nothing to get excited about at all, i think the benefit to Ivy will be seen in video. thats the next benchmark to run.
oh i seen little in the way of thermal improvements not that the platform runs hot like the X79 does..

hope to have dual Xeon #s early next week they are building the system now with the new board that showed up today.

Scott
ADK
Quote
1
#2
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,004

undertone is offline
Thanks for this. I've been holding off. Sounds like good mileage can still be gotten for cheap. I'm still sitting on my Q6600 ( yeah it's a struggle!) pending "what's around the corner". I'm curious about the newer Thunderbolt motherboard offerings coming out soon. That interface could help a lot of things. The attraction of the hexacores + is more VSTi and processing to me, with synths like Diva hitting CPU very hard. Very interested in the new Xeon options: it's a big budget step but I get the feeling the performance will go that way too.
__________________
We're slowly getting closer...
#3
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
blim's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kevin's house
Posts: 776

blim is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
Finally got time to run up a system and benchmark this 3770k i have had forever (well ok 6 or so weeks) [...]

for all you who thought it wise to wait for the Ivy well it wasnt worth it. [...]

as you can see nothing to get excited about at all, i think the benefit to Ivy will be seen in video. thats the next benchmark to run.
oh i seen little in the way of thermal improvements not that the platform runs hot like the X79 does..
Thanks for the info. However, given that the Ivy Bridge stuff will be priced almost identically to the Sandy Bridge stuff, why not go with the Ivy Bridge, especially since it gives you some things (like integrated USB 3.0) that Sandy Bridge doesn't?
__________________

This thread is going to turn so bad. -- travisbrown

My mileage does not vary. -- RawBeanZen

It's time to ask yourself the timeless question: What Would Steve Albini Do? -- joelpatterson

What is your problem? -- Silver Sonya

About My Avatar...
#4
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
  #4
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 248

jetplane666666 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
why not go with the Ivy Bridge, especially since it gives you some things (like integrated USB 3.0) that Sandy Bridge doesn't?
Not to mention drastically lower TDP (total dissipated power), so here in Glendale, CA, where commercial power is expensive this should result in big savings. That's my hope, anyways.
jcschild
Thread Starter
#5
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,856

Thread Starter
jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666 View Post
Not to mention drastically lower TDP (total dissipated power), so here in Glendale, CA, where commercial power is expensive this should result in big savings. That's my hope, anyways.
lower tdp? dont bet on it.. i already mentioned thermals... same thing.

and yes obviously going forward no reason to not buy Ivy.. assuming you dont mind waiting another month. but really does not offer anything more than sandy

integrated usb3 is nothing to be excited about. some of the Z77 will have thunderbolt on it. (still the copper based for now)

frankly the way i see it i would just skip both and get the 3820/X79

scott
ADK
#6
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Germany, Worldwide
Posts: 3,053
My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to DAW PLUS
DAW PLUS is online now
We've done some tests with the smallest dual 8-core, no benchmarks. Cinebench a tad bit faster then the X5690.
Loaded 68 Cubase channels with 1 Duende channel strip, 1 drumstrip, 1 vocalstrip, 2 X-Comps and 1 X-Verb on each channel, all algos working. Cpu floated at 38% @ 64 samples buffer with MadiXtreme128. Cpu core balance close to perfectly spread over the 32 threads. It stays cool and silent, uses 350 watts max when bruteforcing with a Quadro 6000.
__________________
Leon
XI-MACHINES workstations
SSL & VSL certified. Pro Tools for Windows qualified systems.
#7
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
TAFKAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne : Australia :
Posts: 1,372

TAFKAT is offline
Leon,

You should post the Dual E5 Xeon stuff in Scotts other thread, it will get missed here.

Interested to hear more about the audio performance.

The E5's are still vapourware locally... :-(
__________________
Vin Curigliano
AAVIM Technology
DAWbench.com
#8
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #8
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 79

clasam is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
Finally got time to run up a system and benchmark this 3770k i have had forever (well ok 6 or so weeks)

for all you who thought it wise to wait for the Ivy well it wasnt worth it..

Z77 chipset board
16 gig ram
3770k 3.5GHz (turbo to 3.9GHz)
(note this is 100MHz faster than the 2600 and pretty much benches as such)


all these processors are basically priced the same

Dawbench DSP RXC
DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking
RME Mulitface/Cubase 6.5

256 232 RXC compressors
128 223
64 210
32 190

stock 2600 (P67 platform)

256 212
128 214
64 191
32 183

stock 3820 (X79 platform)

256 296
128 288
64 270
32 252

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OVERCLOCKED 4.5GHz

3770k
256 324
128 319
64 291
32 260

2600k 4.7GHz
256 320
128 306
64 270
32 261 <-- tie with 3770k

3930k @ 4.5GHz $300 price jump the 3820 will only do 4.2GHz and showed little improvement over stock speed.. about the same difference as the 2600 to 3770.

256 411
128 393
64 385
32 353


as you can see nothing to get excited about at all, i think the benefit to Ivy will be seen in video. thats the next benchmark to run.
oh i seen little in the way of thermal improvements not that the platform runs hot like the X79 does..

hope to have dual Xeon #s early next week they are building the system now with the new board that showed up today.

Scott
ADK
Thanks, Scott.

How bout some Nebula based CPU benchmarks? Nebula has some really cpu hungry plugs and might show something that this current benchmark does not.
#9
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
projektk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,347

projektk is offline
I think the main thing is native USB 3.0 and a few motherboards to finally have thunderbolt. The big changes wont appear until haswell gets here which will support a lower powered DDR3 ram, I think its called DDR3L, I may be wrong.

I didn't expect incredible differences. Its best to build or buy a new PC/Mac, own it for at least 4 years then upgrade to see a decent difference.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
#10
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #10
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 79

clasam is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
I think the main thing is native USB 3.0 and a few motherboards to finally have thunderbolt. The big changes wont appear until haswell gets here which will support a lower powered DDR3 ram, I think its called DDR3L, I may be wrong.

I didn't expect incredible differences. Its best to build or buy a new PC/Mac, own it for at least 4 years then upgrade to see a decent difference.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Yeah, Ivybridge is supposed to be more of an improvement on the gpu side.
#11
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #11
Gear addict
 
tarnationsauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 328

tarnationsauce is offline
Hmm I wonder how much better the 3770k is over a 990x.
#12
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,170
My Recordings/Credits

rksguit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Leon,

You should post the Dual E5 Xeon stuff in Scotts other thread, it will get missed here.

Interested to hear more about the audio performance.

The E5's are still vapourware locally... :-(
What a surprise?

Sorry to Hi-jack,at least my 5 month old 2600k rig still has legs!
#13
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,170
My Recordings/Credits

rksguit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
Hmm I wonder how much better the 3770k is over a 990x.
Benchmarks for Pro Audio!

Second graph down,980x very similar supposedly,and compare with Scotts First post.
#14
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,170
My Recordings/Credits

rksguit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
a few motherboards to finally have thunderbolt.
Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Which ones?

Not happening real soon,I'm betting.

I'd be VERY pleased,to be wrong.
#15
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,340

Bassmankr is online now
Seems like an overclocked 2600K rig is the sweetspot for price/performance. As for Scott's tests, I'm seeing the same results from other non music related tester's/reviewer's on the net.
jcschild
Thread Starter
#16
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,856

Thread Starter
jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
Hmm I wonder how much better the 3770k is over a 990x.
980/990 pretty much the same (100MHz) (about the difference from 2600 to 3770 nominal at best.)

980x stock

32buffer 201

3770 stock

32 buffer 191 pretty much a tie

OCed
980x/990 @ 4ghz 270

3770 @ 4.5GHz 260

again the big improvement comes from the X79. the 3820 is the same price as the 2600/3770 yet shows about a 35-40% increase.

yes you need more ram (4 sticks)and the platform is a bit more but also as a DYI the X79 is a nightmare.
(in fact been a nightmare for us to get dialed in)

Scott
ADK
jcschild
Thread Starter
#17
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,856

Thread Starter
jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Which ones?

Not happening real soon,I'm betting.

I'd be VERY pleased,to be wrong.
as mentioned yes the Z77 will have some boards available with TB (copper based not optical) according to Intel Optical is in 2013 (the real light peak) note the name "light" not copper..

also i would expect a 2nd gen X79 to have some.. but add in cards are also coming for those who think TB is all important (yes yes Apollo but thats it)

on the video side a few things are popping up..

scott
ADK
#18
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #18
Gear nut
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 105

Mplay is offline
Thanks for the info. Shame hear the x79 is such a headache. I was planning a 3820 build... I do feel lucky, so I might still go for it
#19
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,144

jamwerks is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Seems like an overclocked 2600K rig is the sweetspot for price/performance. As for Scott's tests, I'm seeing the same results from other non music related tester's/reviewer's on the net.
Except that (if I'm not mistaken) with a 3770, you can have 64GB of ram !
#20
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,170
My Recordings/Credits

rksguit is offline
Even 32GB of RAM is overkill apparently,unless your doing HUGE orchestral mock ups,so my 32GB limit with my 2600k,will certainly do for a while I'm sure.

Had I waited,[over 3 months-would not have been able to] I may have gone SB-E,but what with Watercooling,X79 motherboards,and everything in Australia costing more[depending when/what it is] I think the 2600k @ 4.5 GHz,was all I could have really afforded,and it's such a solid rig,I'm super pleased.

Of course reading that a 3820 is 35/40% better,is annoying,though that the overclock[as its a semi locked chip] doesn't yeild masive gains[like OC'ing a 26k]is some consolation[but not much!]

I always had a sneaking suspition that "Quad Channel" RAM would have clear advantages over "Dual Channel",is also irritating,as that part was bugging me but many said it wouldn't matter much so I leaped,and really I saved a bundle by going with the i7 2600k and Z68.
#21
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,340

Bassmankr is online now
What is more important is comparing your overclocked 2600k rig to the new chips overclocked (sort of apples to apples).
#22
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,170
My Recordings/Credits

rksguit is offline
Kind of,thats why Scotts tests are cool,cause you get info regarding daw use,that you don't get almost anywhere else.

Not real sure what you mean though?
#23
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 580

alphaproject is offline
The improvement may not be so much in benchmarks as it requires less power and generates less heat. Even if it wasn't 7-10% better ANYWHERE...it's a step in the right direction going smaller die.

I guess if you have the i5-i7 2500k or 2600k is it worth it to upgrade right now, no...that's good. However what's the 2nd gen going to be like after this?

I tend not to upgrade for at least 3 years and swap everything to see the improvements.
SLL
#24
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
  #24
SLL
Gear maniac
 
SLL's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 182

SLL is offline
As said, the 2600k, 2700k & 3770k are pretty even. I was about to say the same about the 3820 on the x79. But it could be, that the extra cache + quad memory bus gives you a lot more power for DAW work? The only few things I don't like about the X79 platform (cpu's, mobos) is, that it's 130 watts cpu's (more power usage), and that the legacy PCI slot is badly described in for example the gigabyte's PDF manuals. In fact I couldn't find anything about which slot was shared with each other. On the Asus X79 manual's, I could find a PCI sharing diagram, which showed that legacy PCI was shared with all other slots on the mobe + I think SATA too. All this sharing is probably not good for audio. The second PCIe2 x 1 slot on the Asus mobos, was the only slot that wasn't shared with the rest, and could work fine for a PCIe soundcard.

So, if you need to build a X79 gaming / DAW computer, you could be in for a surprise with the slots and sharing, especially is you use a legacy RME HDSP 9652 card as I am. Also you have to take into account, that some of the new ATI 7000 series, Nvidia 600 series branded gfx card, takes up 3 slots when they're fitted into the mobo. Not much space for any soundcard :(

Hmmm... but I would love to have the quad memory bus on the x79 cpu / chipset. But how much extra power do you get in for example Cubase, with the quad memory bus vs. Z68 / Z77 dual channel bus?

SLL
jcschild
Thread Starter
#25
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,856

Thread Starter
jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
The improvement may not be so much in benchmarks as it requires less power and generates less heat. Even if it wasn't 7-10% better ANYWHERE...it's a step in the right direction going smaller die.
well whats odd about that is yes we are running at a lower voltage EG 1.3 vs 1.45 on the OCed part, however thermally there is no change if anything the 3770 is hotter.

not the norm for a die shrink.

Scott
ADK
jcschild
Thread Starter
#26
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,856

Thread Starter
jcschild is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLL View Post
As said, the 2600k, 2700k & 3770k are pretty even. I was about to say the same about the 3820 on the x79. But it could be, that the extra cache + quad memory bus gives you a lot more power for DAW work? The only few things I don't like about the X79 platform (cpu's, mobos) is, that it's 130 watts cpu's (more power usage), and that the legacy PCI slot is badly described in for example the gigabyte's PDF manuals. In fact I couldn't find anything about which slot was shared with each other. On the Asus X79 manual's, I could find a PCI sharing diagram, which showed that legacy PCI was shared with all other slots on the mobe + I think SATA too. All this sharing is probably not good for audio. The second PCIe2 x 1 slot on the Asus mobos, was the only slot that wasn't shared with the rest, and could work fine for a PCIe soundcard.

So, if you need to build a X79 gaming / DAW computer, you could be in for a surprise with the slots and sharing, especially is you use a legacy RME HDSP 9652 card as I am. Also you have to take into account, that some of the new ATI 7000 series, Nvidia 600 series branded gfx card, takes up 3 slots when they're fitted into the mobo. Not much space for any soundcard :(

Hmmm... but I would love to have the quad memory bus on the x79 cpu / chipset. But how much extra power do you get in for example Cubase, with the quad memory bus vs. Z68 / Z77 dual channel bus?

SLL
the X79 is a big jump over the others. so far RME PCI has worked fine.
only the 79xx series might have triple slot but other have only dual..
not sure why a gaming card would be in a daw unless doing video editing. (ok or gaming) even with dual slot cards theres plenty of room for other cards.

the jump to quad channel is pretty big bandwidth wise plus 64 gig ram on s single processor board..killer for composers

downside with X79 is memory compatibility is nearly non existant and they run very hot

Scott
ADK
#27
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
RonT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,787

RonT is offline
Thanks for the test! I built a 2600k/16gb PTHD3 rig running SL and couldn't be happier. I just cant see the need to upgrade for a while now. I know that alot of people were waiting on IVY but Sandy was so darn good that I didn't see why people were waiting.

I guess for PT10 all of the extra ram would come in handy but I am on PT9 parked.

Hell, even my old 1155 i7870/16gb rig kicked butt. Only upgraded to Sandy because of finally finding a MB that worked with PCI-X PTHD cards.

Ain't broke, Don't fix...<--------HA yeah right!!! We are GearSlutz!!!!!

#28
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,170
My Recordings/Credits

rksguit is offline
jcschild
Thread Starter
#29
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,856

Thread Starter
jcschild is offline
considering almost no one needs a dual Xeon a quad would be pointless
not to mention i doubt you could get anything audio related to work on that board or deal with the noise.

and trust me thats NOT a DYI build.

Scott
ADK
#30
3rd April 2012
Old 3rd April 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
rksguit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,170
My Recordings/Credits

rksguit is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
considering almost no one needs a dual Xeon a quad would be pointless
not to mention i doubt you could get anything audio related to work on that board or deal with the noise.

and trust me thats NOT a DYI build.

Scott
ADK
No worries,I totally believe you man,just happened to come across it,and was surprised.

We all totally appreciate the heads up on the X79 stuff for sure,Thanks.

Bob S.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Altitude909 / Music Computers
2
VanWhalen / So much gear, so little time!
6
jcschild / Music Computers
4

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.