Pro Tools 10 Trial...
New Reply
Subscribe
eric.hope
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear interested

Pro Tools 10 Trial...

I am a long-time Logic user (10+ years!), but must confess to feeling a sense of excitement over the fact that Avid was offering a free, fully-functioning, 30-day trial of Pro-Tools 10. I thought it might be fun to give it a try, since I hadn't used Pro Tools in so long. Maybe I'd uncover something; some process; some way of doing things - that might speak to me, and inspire me to switch. Well, I must say, I was quite disappointed to discover that in order to run the Pro Tools Trial, I have to invest $50 in an iLok... Forgive me, but there is a basic logic (no pun intended) that this violates: If users have to invest money into it, then it's not a Free Trial. Am I the only person who feels this way? It's misleading and disappointing. The trial version should either be iLok-free (and simply set to EXPIRE after 30 days), or, if it absolutely MUST have an iLok, it should be able to run on some sort of specially-downloadable version of it, which users can install on their own USB flash drive, without having to drop $50 bucks. I mean, what if I try it out, and decide I don't like it? I'm just out 50 bucks? That doesn't strike me as fair. If it's supposed to be a Free Trial, then make it so. The point of a free trial is to attract new users, but the hidden fee runs absolutely counter to that objective. I'd imagine this is going to turn off a lot of people. It just inspires me to not even bother with Pro Tools. What a waste of time! I'd be interested to hear how others feel about this.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

Alot of studio owners have iloks already.

Possibly enough so that Avid feel this isn't an issue.

I guess for you it is, maybe write to Avid?

I doubt they read anything here?
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Banned

But...but it's a game changer!
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.hope View Post
I am a long-time Logic user (10+ years!), but must confess to feeling a sense of excitement over the fact that Avid was offering a free, fully-functioning, 30-day trial of Pro-Tools 10. I thought it might be fun to give it a try, since I hadn't used Pro Tools in so long. Maybe I'd uncover something; some process; some way of doing things - that might speak to me, and inspire me to switch. Well, I must say, I was quite disappointed to discover that in order to run the Pro Tools Trial, I have to invest $50 in an iLok... Forgive me, but there is a basic logic (no pun intended) that this violates: If users have to invest money into it, then it's not a Free Trial. Am I the only person who feels this way? It's misleading and disappointing. The trial version should either be iLok-free (and simply set to EXPIRE after 30 days), or, if it absolutely MUST have an iLok, it should be able to run on some sort of specially-downloadable version of it, which users can install on their own USB flash drive, without having to drop $50 bucks. I mean, what if I try it out, and decide I don't like it? I'm just out 50 bucks? That doesn't strike me as fair. If it's supposed to be a Free Trial, then make it so. The point of a free trial is to attract new users, but the hidden fee runs absolutely counter to that objective. I'd imagine this is going to turn off a lot of people. It just inspires me to not even bother with Pro Tools. What a waste of time! I'd be interested to hear how others feel about this.
You don't have an iLok?

Look at the bright side. If you had an iLok, you can demo dozens if not hundreds of DAWs and plugins that only use an iLok. You might find some you like enough to purchase.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear addict

Christ, Avid give something away for free and people STILL find a way to whinge and moan about it.

I was going to download it but then I realised I would have to buy monitors in order to hear playback. And then I found out it requires my own personal time to trial it! Don't get me started on the whole 'you-need-a-computer' part.

Last edited by Purple; 13th March 2012 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: typo...
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Christ, Avid give something away for free and people STILL find a way to whinge and moan about it.

Agree.
13th March 2012
Old 13th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear how others feel about this.

an iLok is required to run Pro Tools. If you do end up buying it, you will need the iLok. To expect a company to create a totally different copy-protection system just for the demo is unreasonable. It would cost Avid money in terms of developer salaries and probably also in an increased risk of kracks.

as others have said, so many people already have iLoks...PT is not the only program that uses it.

Why don't you try lining up a buyer for your "slightly used" iLok and sell it for $40. Then your free trial would only cost you ten bucks.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear nut

I think it's a bit of a loaded offer in that they expect it to be more of a trial for existing pro tools users. pro tools 10 did after all come out VERY soon after pro tools 9. I just tried this as well and got the same error 10 minutes ago.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

I ran the 30 day PT10 trial, but I already had PT MP9 which came with an iLok key and I also have an iLok key that was required for Antares Autotune.

I recently purchased Ozone5 and it too uses iLok.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Association
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
I recently purchased Ozone5 and it too uses iLok.
Partially correct. You can use online auth as well which is what I did which= NO iLok,
12th June 2012
Old 12th June 2012
Eel
Gear interested

ASIO RME Hammerfall Doesn't Load.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 1525, Windows 7
Interface: RME Multiface I and Expresscard
Pro Tools 10.0 Trial
both interface and program set to the same sample rate/bit depth
Ilok version 1 with trial license.

For some reason the RME Hammerfall Dsp Asio driver is not working with the pro tools 10 trial, only the ASIO Direct Sound Dull Duplex driver can be used. Also at program start up is says ASIO direct sound full duplex driver is currently running in Half Duplex Mode. I'm pretty sure that a few RME products are supported in pro tools 9+10. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this set up is not working?

Another error: Coul not creat a new document because Assertion in "d:...". the d drive is my cd/dvd read/write. and I disabled it in device manager.

EDIT
Pro tools 10.2 lets you use the RME Hamerfall DSP Asio controller, I also installed the ASIO For All v.2 and that was working well with the multiface.

Last edited by Eel; 5th July 2012 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: 10.2 fix
12th June 2012
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eel View Post
Pro Tools 10.0 Trial

For some reason the RME Hammerfall Dsp Asio driver is not working with the pro tools 10 trial, only the ASIO Direct Sound Dull Duplex driver can be used. Also at program start up is says ASIO direct sound full duplex driver is currently running in Half Duplex Mode. I'm pretty sure that a few RME products are supported in pro tools 9+10. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this set up is not working?

Another error: Coul not creat a new document because Assertion in "d:...". the d drive is my cd/dvd read/write. and I disabled it in device manager.
Try the ASIO4ALL Driver ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post

I was going to download it but then I realised I would have to buy monitors in order to hear playback. And then I found out it requires my own personal time to trial it! Don't get me started on the whole 'you-need-a-computer' part.
Or: I was going to test drive a car, but the dealership expected me to bring along my own tyres because it stands to reason I would already own a car I could take them from?

I appreciate the comment and agree that most people whine even (especially?) when something is free.
But sorry, for me the ownership of an iLok is not quite the same thing as owning monitors or a computer.
Avid, I'm afraid, has lost the opportunity to convert a lot of people who use Logic (but no iLok since they've managed to make it quite far without buying plugins that require it).
11th August 2012
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your right, not everyone uses plugins with iLok nor do they need one. So basically its $50 for the test drive. Its like going to a BMW dealer and paying for the free coffee and giving them gas money to drive the car. I dont have ONE iLok plugin and refuse to do so
12th August 2012
Old 12th August 2012
Lives for gear

I'm currently trying the PT 10 demo and I absolutely love it. Granted I already own an ilok..BUT....

I wanted to try Pro Tools back in 2004 and in a leap of faith I spent $450 on an Mbox with factory plugins
(well OK someone messed up my order and I got the ilok with the plugins for free :D) but it was a move I was extremely happy with. And when Pro Tools Mpowered came out...I grabbed the trial version of 6.8 MP and on another leap of faith I purchased the full boxed version of Pro Tools Mpowered for $350.

Fast forward to the present..I'm getting lots of audio work on the weekends and even though
I have Logic and use it more for writing, I chose Pro Tools as my main tool for audio
production and there's no way I could have completed my projects in the timely manner
with any other program. My business is growing enough that I'm considering the step
up to an HD Native or maybe even an HDX system.

I guess it's not hard to see the point I'm trying to make.

Sorry to hear $50 is too steep for you. To each their own I guess.

Oh well time to get back to work!
12th August 2012
Old 12th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eel View Post
Pro Tools 10.0 Trial

EDIT
Pro tools 10.2 lets you use the RME Hamerfall DSP Asio controller, I also installed the ASIO For All v.2 and that was working well with the multiface.
SO just curious...You were able to update the trial version to 10.2?
granted I haven't had any issues with 10.0 as of yet. But it doesn't matter
as I'm going to purchase the upgrade from PT 9 soon anyway.
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear interested

What is an iLok? Yes, this is a serious question... apparently my Studer does not require one.
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

I want to try Pro Tools but don't have an iLok either.

Bugger

Last edited by jimelectric; 21st January 2013 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: Removed double signature
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

"since I hadn't used Pro Tools in so long" blabla "Well, I must say, I was quite disappointed to discover that in order to run the Pro Tools Trial, I have to invest $50 in an iLok" blabla

who discovers the logical error first?
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by moranpro View Post
What is an iLok? Yes, this is a serious question... apparently my Studer does not require one.
NAh - but it requires a Waves style WUP in maintenance, parts and tape. Why else do you think my ATR is getting the boot soon?
18th November 2013
Old 18th November 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
an iLok is required to run Pro Tools. If you do end up buying it, you will need the iLok. To expect a company to create a totally different copy-protection system just for the demo is unreasonable. It would cost Avid money in terms of developer salaries and probably also in an increased risk of kracks.

as others have said, so many people already have iLoks...PT is not the only program that uses it.

Why don't you try lining up a buyer for your "slightly used" iLok and sell it for $40. Then your free trial would only cost you ten bucks.
Not free if it costs $10, completely agree with Eric, I downloaded the trial and was hit by the message 'please insert your ilok to continue' major anti'climax for someone 1 second away from getting into pro tools.

Lesson: Nothing is free
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search