Best mouse for relieving wrist pain.
CharlesEdward
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Banned

Best mouse for relieving wrist pain.

I have a regular two button usb mouse and my wrist is starting to feel uncomfortable from using it for extended periods of time. Can somebody please recommend a mouse that is designed to ease the strain on your wrist?
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

I wanted to avoid pain since I spend 16h a day on the computer. I tried a thumb trackball and the big trackball. Went back with the mouse, just learn to relax, take a brake.

I am using the cheap logitech 2 buttons with scroll. Don't have pain anymore, just take a few breaks once in a while, no need to spend money here.

Also, it is impossible with the trackball to be as fast as a regular mouse. Some people will disagree, but check the gaming crowd, I don't see anyone using a trackball* (at the pro level).
CharlesEdward
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Banned

I think the pain is more from the wrist being slanted upwards instead of down. I need something that can elevate my palm, so i can keep my wrist pointing downwards, and I don't mind sacrificing a little speed for comfortability. Thanks though.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkas View Post
I wanted to avoid pain since I spend 16h a day on the computer. I tried a thumb trackball and the big trackball. Went back with the mouse, just learn to relax, take a brake.

I am using the cheap logitech 2 buttons with scroll. Don't have pain anymore, just take a few breaks once in a while, no need to spend money here.

Also, it is impossible with the trackball to be as fast as a regular mouse. Some people will disagree, but check the gaming crowd, I don't see anyone using a trackball* (at the pro level).
I like the Logitech trackballs -- for both audio work and gaming -- but the trackball is under the thumb, and IIRC I slightly preferred the old Microsoft version where the ball was under the forefinger, but it's no longer available.

I find a trackball much faster to use than a mouse, to the extent of finding FPS games impossible to play without a trackball!
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

I have a mousepad with an elevated gel pad for the wrist. It makes a huge difference.

10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Head

For me the solution have been a mouse pad with a good wrist support. But it's important to have breaks too.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

I use mice according to the ratio of sitting height (chair) to desk height. One desk is higher and I find the MS Intellimouse Explorer shape does well there (Razer Deathadder, Logitech Anywhere mouse mx or Gaming mouse G500). My main desk is considerably lower and mice that are held like that (cupped hand on top) give my serious wrist strain after a while so I've found the Logitech G9x "side hold" style or even the Razer Lachesis "rear hold" much better on lower desk heights. Both are laser mice so will need better quality (finer grain) mouse surfaces, and the Lachesis has better buttons but picks up lint more often in the laser hole, while the g9x feels more solid in OSX for tracking speed and generally has less issues with laser lint interference.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

I think you have to plan the desk space and arm rest properly...you need basic support for the elbow and hand.
For me...my mouse position is good...but my left hand on the qwerty lacks that wrist support...so thats the problem here!
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

No wrist pain since I started using a track pad on a macbook. I think the wrist rests built into the macbook help too though. Might want to see how the magic track pad works for windows, if that's what you're using. Not sure if windows works with double tap to select either, but I find not having to press down on the mouse buttons helps a lot as well.
CharlesEdward
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Banned

I have low desk and my chair can only go so high, so there is not really much i can do about it, but thanks for all the responses, i see a few options i gonna look into.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear interested

I've had carpal tunnel problems in the past that got pretty bad.

What I did to solve my problem :

1.) a desk the right height
2.) Believe it or not, a Razer gaming mouse (smooth, ergonomic, responsive)
3.) separate gel cusion from the mouse pad (so u can adjust it on the fly...everytime you take your hand off the mouse, when u come back to it, you will never have the same angle on the gel pad, might as well have it totally adjustable, really did wonders for me)

Now I have absolutely no wrist problems unless I'm forced to work on another person's setup for extended periods.

The biggest thing for me was the gaming mouse. Try one out; don't think of them as toys for games but rather the smoothest, quickest, most responsive and not straining mouse.

Goodluck!
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear addict

Acupuncture, yoga, qi gong - exercise that directly improves circulation.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

I know it's dumb but I couldn't stop myself
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Banned

Logitech cordless optical trackball
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

I use a logitech trackball with the thumball that moves the cursor and assignable buttons for years and hours on end and I sit in an Aeron chair.
Ergonomic and 0 human interface problems.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Try a Saitek notebook mouse.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear maniac

I use the Kensington Expert Mouse and a gel wrist pad like the one Joe Porto posted. It's definitely not great for gaming (of which I do very little) but I love it for everything else.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

+1 expert mouse. Can definately work as fast as a mouse if not faster. I can flick the ball with one finger and span 2 screens. Can't do that with the mouse. That requires using Mouseworks driver which speeds the response of the trackball. Without Mouseworks the trackball would be useless. Anything comparable for logitech driverwise?

My expertmouse is a pc only model when I bought my mac pro I was seriously bummed it didn't work! Gotta get a new one!

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Gear interested

I got the evoluent mouse that keeps your hand in a more vertical position. It took a few days to get used to but I'm into it now. To feel the difference it would make, set your hand on your desk in the normal mousing position, then try rotating your hand to the right and feel what that does to the tension in your lower arm/wrist.
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

I use the g9x 10-14 hours a day sometimes and it's solid with a good mousepad. I do exercises every hour or so for thirty seconds at least though.

As someone who used to play a lottttttt of poker, that evoulent vertical mouse someone posted is the best, I'm surprised more people don't know about it. The hand shake position is *the* most natural position for you to be in for extended periods, it's well documented. I'd wager it's even better than the trackballs a lot of people are using.

Other tips:
Sit correctly
Take breaks
Stretches
High sensitivity and move from your shoulder not from your wrist
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Change your mouse - and your grip - regularly. I have four different Razers that I alternate between, in addition to using them differently (claw/palm, keep the hand sideways etc). A good pad is also crucial, I like the hard textured gaming pads from steelseries (but right now I enjoy the nerdiness of the Razer Tron mouse/pad combo ).

r,
j,
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
Change your mouse - and your grip - regularly. I have four different Razers that I alternate between, in addition to using them differently (claw/palm, keep the hand sideways etc). A good pad is also crucial, I like the hard textured gaming pads from steelseries (but right now I enjoy the nerdiness of the Razer Tron mouse/pad combo ).

r,
j,
I'm with this guy. Mix it up. It's the repetition that's killin' ya, not the mouse itself.

At work (not recording related) I have a Logitech Marble Mouse. In Studio, I use a little Logitech V220 when I'm at my desk. And at home, when "couch mixing" or whatever i use the trackpad on my MacBook.

I used to get terrible wrist pains when I used the same type of mouse at home and at work. Since adopting the three alternatives methods I really haven't had a problem.

Now and then in the studio if I'm doing some intensive repetitive edits like adjusting timing, busy automation points, melodyne, etc, things can get sore. At that point i take a break. Breaks are pretty important too. If you can get comfortable alternating methods in the studio that'd be great too.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

I had terrible wrist pain for a while but then switched to using a Wacom graphics tablet with pen.

The trick is to get the smallest tablet they offer and use the pen in "Mouse Mode". This setting, which is specified in the Wacom control panel, means that the pen will track on the tablet like a mouse would, not a one to one relationship between pad position and screen position.

I cannot say enough good things about this setup. I can now work endless hours with not even a hint of carpal tunnel or wrist pain.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
Logitech cordless optical trackball
I love this mouse and the latest version is a big improvement. The battery last for 2 years although I haven't had it that long to confirm

Logitech UK - Wireless Trackball M570
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear nut

If you are on mac a wireless magic trackpad can be an incredible revelation.
I have been through years of mice, then a wacom, then back to mice, and now with the trackpad I don't think I could use anything else. It has taken me quite a while to really get fast and accurate with it - and I still stumble a fair bit - but my general level of comfort and feeling of fluidity with the computer is infinitely better than any alternative.
The other thing that is important is good posture. Basically if everything is less than 90 degrees but more than 60-70 degrees you should be comfortable.
Any angle past 90 degrees can cause a lot of pain. When I say everything I mean, ankles, knees, waist, elbows, wrists, fingers. Basically wherever there is a joint/bend in your body.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
I have a regular two button usb mouse and my wrist is starting to feel uncomfortable from using it for extended periods of time. Can somebody please recommend a mouse that is designed to ease the strain on your wrist?
I had a lot of wrist pain before I made some changes. It was partly the mouse, but mostly other things. For mouse, I now prefer the ones with a significant mounded shape for your palm. But I also use a long gel-filled wrist pad under my my mouse arm. This lifts your wrist off the desk and eliminates bend at the wrist where you grasp the mouse. The gel-pad did more to relieve pain for me than the new mouse, but they all contribute.

I also use a MS ergonomic curved keyboard that puts your forearms at a more natural angle (with hand-end of arms angled in toward the curved keyboard). It lets your wrists remain straight when you type, rather than having the wrists close together and angled unnaturally as they are when using a straight keyboard. I think the curved keyboard has been the most significant factor in reducing wrist pain for me. It took a couple weeks to relearn how to type on the thing - but it is well worth it to be pain-free. Which I am now.
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear addict

i've been doing some studio marathons lately and it's not wrist pain, but instead the whole right side of my back, my neck, and my right arm that hurt. i try to change my sitting position every once in a while and have a decent vitra office chair. any suggestions to alleviate the pain is appreciated!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search