Which Big 4 DAW is the most user-friendly for a complete noob?
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Big 4 DAW? The ones used around the world in the most mission critical and expensive sessions (if they fail).

Pyramix
Sequoia
Sadie
ProTools
Thing is I´ve never seen anyone doing anything but mastering with the 3 topmost in that list..

Are those actually used for production/mixing in general?
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
None. No DAW is noob friendly.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear addict

I'd say Pro Tools. I've used Logic, Pro Tools, and Digital Performer and Pro Tools is the easiest hands down. Sure Logic may have more sounds but the sounds in PT9 and 10 are pretty solid. They are fairly bland and have no life which is great IMO because within Xpand you can tweak a lot of the parameters to get the sound you're looking for. Plus you can stack a few to get even bigger sounds.

Where Pro Tools really shines is its super simple layout. You have a mix window and an edit window. Every other window comes up like a pop up. Logic they all pop out on the sides and such and it just seems/looks super cluttered to me.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Best answer......be prepared for lots of reading, experimenting,frustration,elation,amazement,puzzlement,and time to take it all in,lots,and lots of time.

Or you can go GarageBand.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
It's not that complicated - seriously.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Guru

My strongest agreement: the "friends" theory. Having someone around to answer questions and get you unstuck is invaluable.

if you have no friends who know DAWs, go with Pro Tools because there is more "instruction" out there - books, tutorials, websites, youtubes, forums than any other 2 DAWs put together.

My strongest disagreements: the 'bootstrap' theory and the "try them all" theory. Learning software is a necessary evil. Do it once and get back to the music as quickly as you can. Dividing your attention between multiple DAWs is simply weakening your memory for shortcuts, menus, key commands and slowing your reflexes.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Head

I would like the OP to tell us what does he/she owns already, especially in the plug-ins department, because ther are obvious things to consider : Protools and Logic don't support VST, which is by far the standard for all virtual instruments and effects. With these, you'll need a wrapper to use them, which, well... could be stable or not and tax a part of the processing power available.

Beside this, and putting aside the friends equipment and skills which are indeed important, I'd say Cubase : it's VST compliant, multuplatform (OSX and Windows) and has probably the most complete set of features either in the MIDI or the audio departments, if you put aside the bundled instruments (where Logic is probably better). I also think that the UI is still the best one. But I admit that, as a regular user of it, my point of view is probably biased.

Anyway, and it has been said already : no DAW will instantly work flawlessly as expected at once. There are a lot if settings to do : OS tweaks, sound interface and its ASIO/Core driver, host settings and tweaks, templates and so on...

Be prepared for a long experimenting session...
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
The more i read these post the more i start to realize that very few have any actual real expierience with more than one daw, and who the hell reads mannuals? Studio one v2 is literally the most user friendly daw on the market right now no if ands or buts. I bet the next version of logic is gonna be dumbed down to match studio one's workflow and the fact that they are direct competion.
Well fwiw I have used so many DAWs and before that plain sequencers over the years, I HAD to get into reading manuals here and there.

If all you want to do is press record and do a rough mix, all well and good.
If you want to actually make a record, SOME effort beyond the d'Oh stage is necessary.

P.S> I bought Studio One Artist and dumped it off my hard drive after about a couple of weeks.
I sincerely hope that version 2 is less klunky, but they already had all of my money that they are going to get.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
My strongest agreement: the "friends" theory. Having someone around to answer questions and get you unstuck is invaluable.

if you have no friends who know DAWs, go with Pro Tools because there is more "instruction" out there - books, tutorials, websites, youtubes, forums than any other 2 DAWs put together.

My strongest disagreements: the 'bootstrap' theory and the "try them all" theory. Learning software is a necessary evil. Do it once and get back to the music as quickly as you can. Dividing your attention between multiple DAWs is simply weakening your memory for shortcuts, menus, key commands and slowing your reflexes.
U make a good point, but give bad advice. Alot of these daws have very similar characteristics once you learn one or two u can pretty much figure out the rest. I also find that knowing more than one daw lets u find a workflow thats suitable for u, as opposed to only knowing the workflow of one daw. And they all have their advantages, so learn them all and see which one works for you. And don't stress yourself out with mannuals, instead watch tutorials and memorize key commands. Something that helped me alot was creating flashcards at quizlet.com. you can also download a flashcard app that lets you upload from quizlet so u can access your decks from your mobile device.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Well fwiw I have used so many DAWs and before that plain sequencers over the years, I HAD to get into reading manuals here and there.

If all you want to do is press record and do a rough mix, all well and good.
If you want to actually make a record, SOME effort beyond the d'Oh stage is necessary.

P.S> I bought Studio One Artist and dumped it off my hard drive after about a couple of weeks.
I sincerely hope that version 2 is less klunky, but they already had all of my money that they are going to get.
Sorry didn't mean to offend you bro just call it how i see it. And as far as money goes i come from an era of hardware so $300 or $400 for a daw is minor.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Learning software is a necessary evil. Do it once and get back to the music as quickly as you can.
This^!!!!
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
Thing is I´ve never seen anyone doing anything but mastering with the 3 topmost in that list..

Are those actually used for production/mixing in general?
Pyramix is used widely in the classical field - the other 2 I've never seen in a studio.

I suppose by "big 4" what are you making the call "big" by? User base? Professional profile? I'm not sure I'd call Pyramix or ableton "big 4" by any standard.....it tends to see little use outside of loop based production and live performance - its not the all round tool the other 3 on the list are, at least that's not it's main advantages.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by manysounds View Post
Cubase and Sonor are simple DAWs
Ableton is... different, but simple enough if you're doing that kind of music.
PTools is a routing nightmare for a noob, probably
Reaper is too deep for noobs :P
Logic is pretty simple for simple things.
Studio One -2 is kinda user-freindly
DPerformer is straight forward...
Yes I've used all of them professionally.

For complete noob functionality, i.e. straight multitrack audio, it probably doesn't matter much. Skip the Ableton pile and the more-than-you-need PTools. I'd go with Logic personally but Cubase is great.
pt routing a nightmare? Create a channel, choose an input and an output?

Create an aux return, choose an input and output, then route what you want to go to it to that input?

How is that any more complicated than anything else on the market? If you can't master basic signal flow, are you sure you're doing the right thing getting involved in making music?
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
I never bought into Protools because of the high cost of everything associated with it. Plug ins cost more and you have to buy highly expensive cards to run it at full capacity.

I've done the same stuff Protools users do with Logic and Apogee for all these years --- and saved enough money to buy many classic hardware classic units and lots of plugins at a cheaper rate.

is Logic easier than Protool? Some guys SWEAR by Protools - as that is what they use and some functions are better. Although that was years ago and Logic has caught up in many ways. You can run logic in 'idiot' mode - never delving in deep and get the stuff you want done. I think it depends on what you are used to. I'd be lost in Protools.
Mmmm.....pro tools native plugins cost exactly the same as their au/vst counterparts, and PT9 onwards runs exactly the same as logic. PT HD offers something that logic and the rest can't offer, so it's not really comparable - it's a professional tool aimed at large facilities, with a price tag, capabilities and support to match.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
U make a good point, but give bad advice. Alot of these daws have very similar characteristics once you learn one or two u can pretty much figure out the rest.
Terrific, if you WANT to figure out the rest. My point is that I don't.

a LOT of people can benefit from my advice: the expression is: "jack of all DAWs, Master of none"

Quote:
And don't stress yourself out with mannuals, instead watch tutorials and memorize key commands. Something that helped me alot was creating flashcards at quizlet.com. you can also download a flashcard app that lets you upload from quizlet so u can access your decks from your mobile device.
I don't WANT to watch tutorials and memorize key commands. I want to have ALREADY memorized key commands so I can get to work. I want that effort in the past. If key commands came in a pill, I would swallow a handful and thus "learn" multiple DAWs. Sadly, they do not.

Flash cards? No thanks!

Every minute you spend "figuring" out one DAW is a minute you take away from getting killer speed in another.

"Figuring it out" means getting by, I want to be miles beyond getting by, I want to be zooming. And once I am "there" I want to STOP learning goddamn software and get back to doing music. The 'DAW itself' is not my toy, it is not even "gear" to me.

I have never seen a "I have six DAWs" engineer jockey his rig as smoothly and effortlessly as the engineer who works 8 hours a day in one DAW. The clients appreciate this as "transparency". To them, there IS no 'workflow', the engineer is ready before they are.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
I have to agree with pt being a routing nightmare for a beginner. i use both sonar and pt daily i find sonar much more beginner friendly with better included plugs and great tutorials by cakewalk. i like some things better about pt but i don't think its easier to learn.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Quote:
Terrific, if you WANT to figure out the rest. My point is that I don't.

a LOT of people can benefit from my advice: the expression is: "jack of all DAWs, Master of none"

I don't WANT to watch tutorials and memorize key commands. I want to have ALREADY memorized key commands so I can get to work. I want that effort in the past. If key commands came in a pill, I would swallow a handful and thus "learn" multiple DAWs. Sadly, they do not.

Flash cards? No thanks!

Every minute you spend "figuring" out one DAW is a minute you take away from getting killer speed in another.

"Figuring it out" means getting by, I want to be miles beyond getting by, I want to be zooming. And once I am "there" I want to STOP learning goddamn software and get back to doing music. The 'DAW itself' is not my toy, it is not even "gear" to me.

I have never seen a "I have six DAWs" engineer jockey his rig as smoothly and effortlessly as the engineer who works 8 hours a day in one DAW. The clients appreciate this as "transparency". To them, there IS no 'workflow', the engineer is ready before they are.
Tell that to deadmau5 foolface. p.s. Its really not that complicated.

Last edited by CharlesEdward; 9th March 2012 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: spite
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
I was exposed to PT, Logic and Pyramix at the same time.

I realised immediatelly why people use Pro Tools. It is by far the easiest of the three and also "makes sense" to an engineer who uses mixers and cables and plugs stuff together.
Funny, I just set up PT9 for tracking and project transfer to PT studios...I use Samplitude. I also own a live sound company and mix bands all the time. Protools doesn't look or feel like any live setup I have used. Even the Avid consoles..Profile..SC48..etc..have all normal stuff..gates, comps, eq...already on the channels of the mixer. As far as I can tell you have to load these all in PT..no? Is there a polarity button in the PT mixer or do I have to load a plug in? Using a template probably helps but in my world Samplitude makes WAY more sense from a live mixing perspective. And with the added benefit of object based editing it is very fast and easy.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear
I'd say that if you have a strong background in the tape machine and mixing console paradigm, go for Pro Tools. Given that I started in the audio world in the 70s, that's my mental paradigm and PT just seems the most logically laid out to me. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably give Reaper a chance as I love the fact that the developers are so responsive to the Reaper community. I just don't find it very intuitive at all. It's silly to say that one DAW is objectively best or the worst. If there was one best way to do it, then they'd be all the same.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

Agree 100%, if you are stricktly making music DAW choice is a means to an end. Pick one and move on; you won't realize workflow impediments or benefits until well into learning your process of creating. Prior to this you have no point for comparison.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Tell that to deadmau5 foolface. p.s. Its really not that complicated.
oooh! deadmau5! my hero! If he uses multiple DAWs, then so must I.

You and your pal can learn all the DAWs you want, and if it makes you happy to do your cutting in DAW A, and your pasting in DAW B have at it. Be my guest!

I don't understand why my position is so hard for you to grasp or accept: I don't CARE to learn two DAWs, never mind six. There was a time in my life when I had Three DAWs and my life is better now that I am down to one.

Learning Danish is "not that complicated" either, but I have other things to do with my time.

Get it, foolface?
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
[QUOTE=joeq;7649752]oooh! deadmau5! my hero!

Thats pretty funny, got a good laugh bro. P.S. I'm not trying to knock anybody to each is own. I just don't think telling someone to limit themselves is sound advice. And your right you should at least master one daw, which can be done in a matter of days or weeks if u a little slow.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear nut

Well I'm about to quit using Logic, because I refuse to waste any more money on inferior Apple hardware. The only reason I even owned Apple machines was because Apple bought Logic several years back and killed the Windows version. Now after six years of being raped, I'm done.

Having said that, if you're happy with Mac, then Logic is a fine tool for composing, and it has a good library of stock sounds. It has it's quirks and you can easily end up with way too many windows open, but it is a solid all-around tool.

PT is very strong if you are used to a conventional recording environment. It is not as strong for composing.

I'm about to fire up trial versions of Cubase, Live and Studio One, on my brand new Windows machine that cost less than my i5 Macbook (and way less than my Mac pro) yet blows it out of the water in terms of performance. The DAW that suits what *I* want to do will become the winner.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear maniac

Im a Cubase 6 user and yes you guessed it im gonna say Cubase.

I wouldn't say its easy to learn. But i would say that once you get there and start to fully understand it, you'll of found the learning experience to of been a pleasurable one. By learning cubase, you learn a lot about making music. Its a bit of a journey but you can get there. And once you do its great to use. Very good at editing audio. Very good at lots of things.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry didn't mean to offend you bro just call it how i see it. And as far as money goes i come from an era of hardware so $300 or $400 for a daw is minor.
Absolutely no offence taken, dear boy.
I was merely commenting on my own experience.

I too am an old hardware geek and I suspect that is part of the reason I HAVE would up delving into manuals here and there.
Some of the DAW ways of doing things are SO counter-intuitive when you have been used to grabbing knobs or path cords....
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Gear addict

If you need only an audio workstation to record real instruments, traditional rock pop bands and mixing and editing them, then go with ProTools.

If you like more to work with MIDI, VST instruments and composing songs and tracks - especially EDM music etc. and you wish also a serious audio workstation at the same time then I would recommand Cubase 6. It's awsome and my favourite DAW, but you need to study it a little bit in the beginning.

The time stretching algos in Cubase 6 are also unbeatable - they have been developed by Prosoniq (Timefactory).

For remixers and EDM producers Cubase 6 would be the best choice beside the more DJ orientated programms like Ableton and FL.

Sudad G
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search