New Reply
Subscribe
Fally12
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear interested

Which sound card/computer?

Hi guys,

So I'm starting my home studio and need a few bits of advice if possible!

Short term, I only want to be able to record guitar playing through my Mesa Triaxis pre amp in to my comp but long term I'd like to record vocals etc so my computer will need to be able to cope with all the plug ins etc running Cubase 5.

I currently have an Acer Aspire X3950 64-bit windows 7, intel core i5 CPU processor, 4GB RAM running windows 7. Could I get away with using my current system and just replace the sound card or will I inevitably need a better set up so just buy a new one now?

Either way can anyone recommend some sound cards and computer set ups that would suit my needs? I'm wanting to do this right and buy quality gear so I don't want to cut corners.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

id recommend whatever soundcard you get, might as well try it with your current pc before buying a new one. the pc you spec'ed just now should be good enough for what you want to do, which is fairly modest in the grand scheme of things, ie you arent recording 16 channels at once or running 100s of vsts etc.

even if its good enough for now and you need to upgrade later, its a bad time to buy a new pc as hard disk prices are crazy at the moment due to stock shortages. by the time you need the extra power they may have gone down in price again
Fally12
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the reply, can you recommend any sound cards?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear nut

How much cash available?
Fally12
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear interested

I don't really have a budget, I'm willing to pay what I have to. I don't want to buy cheap rubbish though
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I suggest posting some kind of budget. I have plenty of $100 solutions up to $20,000 solutions. So what's a realistic budget?

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Fally12
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear interested

Haha yeah fair point mate! Budget wise for a soundcard I'd be willing to pay up to around £350 and for a full new computer set up, up to about £1,500.

Only thing I don't want to do it pay loads of money for something which is more than what I need!

Thanks for the help guys!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

and nobody knows what you need.

Okay, a simple solution with 2 good channels but expandable to add an additional 8 would be something like the RME Babyface. Solid company, good reputation, a little pricier than some but you get what you pay for, and it can stay with you for a while as it is expandable. I'm an RME fan, I often recommend their products. But you could start out with something simple to get your feet wet, like a Tascam US 144 or similar product... most manufacturers make one... which would work for a while, get you into the groove, and when you are ready to upgrade you'd just have to sell it off and get something with more capabilities.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search