Windows 7 64 bit, Cubase 6 64 bit
New Reply
Subscribe
Sly Winkle
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Windows 7 64 bit, Cubase 6 64 bit

So I just wrapped up all my projects from last year...

I'm probably going to build a new computer running, you guessed it
Windows 7 64 bit, Cubase 6 64 bit.

I was wondering if anyone has done this yet and if there are any immediate problems, rewards etc?

Also, I'd like to know how many of your old plugs still work (32 bit, or do we just buy new ones)? and what soundcard/interface you are using etc. I have a profire 2626 but can can something else like a steinberg card if its more solid.

Also do you notice, and how much cpu use are you getting?

Please give me some confidence. :( This will be a major purchase, and I want it to last a good many years.

Thanks in advance guys.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

what plugins are you currently using? a lot of them are free to upgrade to 64bit
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I have been running win7 x64 + Cubase 6 x64 with the ProFire 2626. Works great.

I assume you already have Cubase 6 so I'll focus on the benefits of x64:

1. Way more RAM for your samplers and hungry plugins
2. Proven slight performance boost (there was a thread on Steinberg's forums about this)

Win7 is probably the best version of Windows for DAWs ever. Just install it clean and don't worry about any optimizations. It just works.
Sly Winkle
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

I haven't bought anything yet except the profire 2626. but its a buggy crashy resource hog with my old xp with a single core processor.

I'm also wondering how much ram i can use (what cubase and windows 7 64 aloows)? I'm down to buy 16gig or whatever.

plugs i got are, sample libraries VIs like Slate, BFD, Native Softsynths, as well as the normal waves stuff api, ssl, and sony oxford plugs.

Should all that still work out?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

The 2626 is rock solid on Win7 x64.

You can use a virtually unlimited amount of RAM on a 64bit OS. In fact, there is no way your motherboard can hold as much RAM as x64 allows the OS to address. But practically, you'll be unlikely to need more than 8GB, 16 at the most. I have 18GB, but I don't think any project I've used has come close to using all of it.

So... on your plugs. Only some of those are x64 now, but I think all of them are planned to be x64. For example, Waves has yet to launch their x64 plugins. Sonnox have just gone x64 recently.

Native Instruments are all up to x64 now.

Not sure about API, SSL, and BFD--check their websites for x64 downloads.

For things that are still x86, you can bridge them into your host. I've had good success with a $20 plugin called jBridge, which is a little more full-featured than the built-in bridge in Cubase. But it requires some work. So what I'd suggest is just install all of your 32bit plugins (make sure they're in the x86 folder) and see how Cubase handles them. You can easily track down what plugin causes a crash in the log file Cubase writes when it crashes. So if you notice particular 32bit plugins crashing Cubase, either get rid of them or try jBridge.

Personally, I went through a transition period of using some 32bit plugins that hadn't yet been released as x64 but now I only use x64 plugs. I had to give up some of my old favorites and found new ones. So many plugin developers support x64 that it's easy to find alternatives to the 32bit plugins. The most stable situation is to use all native 64bit plugins.

Also note that you can install 32bit Cubase on Win7 x64... you can even have both 32bit and 64bit Cubase 6 installed side-by-side and if you need to use a lot of 32bit plugins until you can buy 64bit ones. You can use up to 4GB of RAM with Cubase 6 32bit on Win7 x64, which is still more than you'd get with Win7 32bit. So no matter what, install the x64 OS.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Install both versions. I use both.

When I need big VIs, I use the 64bit version. The instruments I use are NOW all native except the ancient B4, which bridges with the built in bridge fine.

When I do audio work, I run the 32bit version...as a number of audio plugs I rely on need to be hacked to work (with JBridge) and then don't organize the same way...it's just a PIA for no good reason. Don't get me wrong--I've gotten them all to work...so, I COULD use 64bit all the time, but the audio workflow of NOT hacked up VST3 plug ins is worth staying 32bit.

How much CPU are you getting? There's no significant advantage in 64bit for CPU processing. It's only about Virtual Instrument RAM access. ?? I'm getting the same CPU useage with either--unless I'm using JBridge to hack up 32bit plugs for 64bit...then, the 64bit runs a bit worse because there are wrappers involved.
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

You're right that there shouldn't be any CPU advantage to 64bit. But I do recall a thread stating that various operations performed better and faster when using the 64bit version. Possibly overhead of memory management.

But installing both 32 and 64 is a great way to start.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Have been using Cubase 64-bit in W7 Ult 64-bit for some time. Works wonderfully. Except for the hanging on exit thing, but I think I have a way around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Winkle View Post
Also, I'd like to know how many of your old plugs still work (32 bit, or do we just buy new ones)?
As vinvanda alluded to, you can upgrade your plugs to 64 bit. If for some reason you cant, I recommend jBridge. You can load 32-bit plugs in Cubase 64-bit with no problems, tho you may need to find the proper jBridge settings first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Winkle View Post
Also do you notice, and how much cpu use are you getting?
That's not valid question. CPU usage depends on your project, not whether you are using 32-bit vs. 64 bit. I get almost no CPU usage on small projects, and quite a bit on extremely large ones - but nothing that stops me from working.

Cheers.
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Hello

I ran 64bit exclusively for a long while-had the occasional bridging issue which jbridge dealt with.

I just got an i7 laptop with 8gb of RAM which I installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of Cubase 6.5 on, and to be honest I'm using mainly the 32 it as I bought the Waves Kramer set.

Speed, stability wise etc. there's no real difference. I've just finished working on a song with multiple instances of Kontakt, 16-20 audio tracks, and a load of plugs both on insert and send channels, and the CPU meter hasn't gone above a put 20%.

So 64 Bit may sound great and appealing, but I'm running both versions-the aim being to switch to 64 for heavier vst usage.

Honestly I can't see myself needing to at the moment, esp why I'm awaiting a couple of 64bit updates of essential plugs.

Windows 7 I've found to be superb for music.

W7 and Cubase are steady as anything. They just work.

Unless you're a really heavy user, I reckon 8gb should do you for a long time
Sly Winkle
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys for all the help.

I guess -anything- would be better than the situation I'm running into now. Which is 8 tracks on cubase 3, windows xp -with like 1 sonnox reverb aux, 4 api compressors, and one ssl buss compressor completely causing my ram to over heat (and black screen) every time i bounce down a mix.

So looks like there's no good option. This profire 2626 piece of garbage i'm pretty sure is the rootof this instability problem. but now i cant even re-install my old soundcard because the new m-audio driver f*cked up my comps ability to find the old one.

I'm just hoping to get through this record at this point. sigh.
4 songs mixed, 6 to go...
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Well, that's a pretty old PC. There may be some other components failing that are causing the crashes. Like I said, I am VERY stable with Cubase 6.0.5 x64, Win7 x64, and my ProFire 2626. You'll be soooo happy once you get your new PC :-)
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

+1 to installing both 32 and 64 bit cubase.

64 bit cubase is basically as good as the 32 bit version when using 64 bit plugins. The problem is the 32 bit VST bridge can be flakey. Most bridge apps are flakey TBH - the one with logic on OSX has it problems as well, so definatley not something isolated to cubase.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Win 7 64bit with C6.05 32bit setup. I am primarily a mixer (no VIs, no real need for 64), started with C6 64bit, and hated using the bridge for the plugins I still cant get in 64. The W7 64/C6 32 setup works great for me, is incredibly robust and stable. I can easily handle an 80 track mix with a ton of oversampled plugins, external (I use lots of them) and plugin effects. All this with an ancient Q6600 cpu and 4gb of RAM!

"There is no crying in baseball, there are no rules in recording!!!"
www.myspace.com/beyeraudio

Michael Beyer
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

I use Win7 with 64bit and Cubase 6 with 32bit. It works great for me and I can use some of my older plugins too without problems.

Sudad G
Studio gear Lexicon 300,Eventide DSP4000,Lexicon MPX1,Roland SRV2000/330,RSP Intelliverb,T.C. D-two,Korg SDD2000,Electrix Warp Factory,MXR Phase 90,Edison EX1,T.C. Finalizer+, DBX166A,166XL,160,286A,Dualfex II,Mackie 1604VLZ pro,Mackie Control,RME AIO PCIe,UAD2 Solo,PC Intel Core i7 2600 4x3.40GHz,Steinberg Cubase 6.5,MOTU Midiexpress 128,Ultrasone Signature PRO
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search