Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   It´s March, where´s the Waves 64-bit plugins? (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/705765-s-march-where-s-waves-64-bit-plugins.html)

GearNerd 3rd March 2012 12:29 AM

It´s March, where´s the Waves 64-bit plugins?

It´s been now 18 months since I and many others switched to a 64-bit DAW. 18 months I haven´t been able to use my Waves plugins, that we the customers paid big money. They didn´t work even with the Bridge. (Except with JBridge on Windows, but I´ve heard also horror stories about the stability with the JBridge.) They should have come up with a temporary solution for the rest of us, but no, they ignored their customers.

So for this 18 months of downtime me and everybody else should get this 64-bit update for free, right? And an apology from Waves for their amateurishness to support their customers to go with the free update. :evil:

skiltrip 3rd March 2012 12:48 AM

Plan on getting WUP'd for the upgrade. I'm bracing myself for a WUPping.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App

Joe Porto 3rd March 2012 02:22 AM

The temporary solution is to run your DAW in 32 bit mode. This is what I've been doing on OS 10.6 64bit so that I can run UAD plugins (also still 32bit) in Logic.

GearNerd 3rd March 2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Porto (Post 7628164)
The temporary solution is to run your DAW in 32 bit mode. This is what I've been doing on OS 10.6 64bit so that I can run UAD plugins (also still 32bit) in Logic.

So how am I going to run all my sample libraries in 32-bit mode which go way over 4GB RAM in my templates? :facepalm:

Bill@WelcomeHome 3rd March 2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearNerd (Post 7628223)
So how am I going to run all my sample libraries in 32-bit mode which go way over 4GB RAM in my templates? :facepalm:

By recording them to sound files, then effecting the files.

Joe Porto 3rd March 2012 04:18 AM

As above, or running the sampler in standalone mode @ 64bit, and rewiring in to the DAW (which is how I use BFD2).

The limitation of 32bit digital recording is trivial compared to the limitations faced by engineers before computers were the norm.

Not directed at you, but a rant about the general state of recording technology, there was a time when an engineer's job was figuring out workarounds to get the most out of his equipment. This creativity was reflected in the recordings. Sadly, those days seem like a distant memory.

degas 3rd March 2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearNerd (Post 7628223)

Start bouncing. Don't be afraid to commit, it's a good thing.freshflowe

GearNerd 3rd March 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome (Post 7628397)
By recording them to sound files, then effecting the files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by degas (Post 7629003)
Start bouncing. Don't be afraid to commit, it's a good thing.freshflowe

Why? I haven´t had to do those workarounds since going 64-bit. Much nicer and FASTER way to work!

Jolly Jimmy 3rd March 2012 02:33 PM

If you depend on Waves plugins so much, then why would you upgrade to a 64bit DAW knowing all the while they aren't compatible?

danika 3rd March 2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearNerd (Post 7629257)
Why? I haven´t had to do those workarounds since going 64-bit. Much nicer and FASTER way to work!

Agreed. Staying 32-bit just to use Waves is the tail wagging the dog.

Waves is just staying with the strategy on which they built their business: Ride on the coattails of Pro Tools. So I doubt we see 64-bit Waves until Pro Tools releases a 64-bit version.

GearNerd 3rd March 2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Jimmy (Post 7629385)
If you depend on Waves plugins so much, then why would you upgrade to a 64bit DAW knowing all the while they aren't compatible?

You got your answer right here: (Thanks danika!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by danika (Post 7629392)
Agreed. Staying 32-bit just to use Waves is the tail wagging the dog.

I don´t depend on the Waves plugins, but I´ve still paid lots of money for them and for that money I should be able to use them and Waves should provide me that, but they haven´t for 18 months.

undertone 3rd March 2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danika (Post 7629392)
...So I doubt we see 64-bit Waves until Pro Tools releases a 64-bit version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waves 21 January 2012

Waves Audio has unveiled V9 of its range of audio plug-ins.

One of Version 9's most highly anticipated features is 64-bit operating system support. Now Waves users can unleash the power of massive amounts of RAM memory in the DAW hosts of their choice. In addition, V9 offers faster scanning, faster loading and faster processing times.

V9 also marks the introduction of Waves' new easy-to-use authorization system, Waves License Center, which eliminates use of the iLok. Waves License Center offers users authorization activation straight to their computer or any USB flash drive; easy license management; license mobility via USB flash drive or users' License Cloud; and one-click license recovery in the case of lost or damaged devices.

Waves V9 will be available Q1 2012.

Seems to me they were quite clear about it. Q1 ends at the end of March.

Bill@WelcomeHome 3rd March 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearNerd (Post 7629257)

Real simple: because you should be printing the tracks anyway. Do what you want, nobody really cares. But the voices of experience suggest.... take it for what it is worth.

Jolly Jimmy 3rd March 2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearNerd (Post 7629500)
You got your answer right here: (Thanks danika!)

I don´t depend on the Waves plugins, but I´ve still paid lots of money for them and for that money I should be able to use them and Waves should provide me that, but they haven´t for 18 months.

That didn't answer my question at all.

You got exactly what you paid for from Waves, nothing more, nothing less. They don't owe you anything. You changed to an non compatible DAW.

If I have a 32 bit only version of Windows running on a 32 bit processor, then decide upgrade my processor to a 64 bit one, do Microsoft owe me a 64 bit version of Windows? Of course not.

jcschild 3rd March 2012 05:50 PM

jbridge or better yet Vienna Ensemble Pro by far the best bit bridge.

how simple is that..

Scott
ADK

Bill@WelcomeHome 3rd March 2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undertone (Post 7629537)
Seems to me they were quite clear about it. Q1 ends at the end of March.

I wouldn't get too worked up about that time frame. They promised a 2011 delivery date in 2010. At the moment I really don't care, and I'm not going to be in line to be in a hurry to download it when it does some available. Pioneers often get scalped. In a couple of months after the release, when the smoke clears and other people have ruined their days by being in a hurry, I'll saunter in and pick up a working version.

clonewar 4th March 2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcschild (Post 7629855)
jbridge or better yet Vienna Ensemble Pro by far the best bit bridge.

how simple is that..

Scott
ADK

Exactly.. VE Pro really solves this problem. Run your DAW in 32 bit mode, run your sample libraries in 64 VE Pro instances to use all of your RAM, and you can use VE Pro to run your libraries on other computers over your network. It's an awesome piece of software.