Dear Apple, we don´t want a unified OS for Mac´s and iOS devices.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Dear Apple, we don´t want a unified OS for Mac´s and iOS devices.

I know the money comes from Average Joe, but still , believe it or not we are a few users who are using our Mac´s for other things than watching movies and listening to music.
So please please dear Apple your headline about 10.8, "features coming from the iPad" is exactly NOT what we want to hear.
For example, the Launch pad feature introduced in 10.7 is so wrong on a mac. In a Mac if you will launch an app not found in your Dock you type the app name in Spotlight and hit enter.
The way for working fast is to use the mouse or trackpad as little as possible. Using the QWERTY keyboard for access to different commands is the fastest way to work and your iOS input way is the opposite way to go.
So what I´m trying to say is , you are on the wrong track thinking that we want iOS in our Mac´s.
Being a music Producer in Sweden I can say that the unthinkable are already whispering in the air, switching to the enemy OS, let´s hope we don´t need to do that !
If you can´t get yourself on the right track again, you may consider at least to release you future OS in two versions. One Mac/iOS hybrid and one Mac OS without all iOS features just focused on pure performance and stability.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I know the money comes from Average Joe, but still , believe it or not we are a few users who are using our Mac´s for other things than watching movies and listening to music.
So please please dear Apple your headline about 10.8, "features coming from the iPad" is exactly NOT what we want to hear.
For example, the Launch pad feature introduced in 10.7 is so wrong on a mac. In a Mac if you will launch an app not found in your Dock you type the app name in Spotlight and hit enter.
The way for working fast is to use the mouse or trackpad as little as possible. Using the QWERTY keyboard for access to different commands is the fastest way to work and your iOS input way is the opposite way to go.
So what I´m trying to say is , you are on the wrong track thinking that we want iOS in our Mac´s.
Being a music Producer in Sweden I can say that the unthinkable are already whispering in the air, switching to the enemy OS, let´s hope we don´t need to do that !
If you can´t get yourself on the right track again, you may consider at least to release you future OS in two versions. One Mac/iOS hybrid and one Mac OS without all iOS features just focused on pure performance and stability.

I hear ya man...preach on.

Just think you should preach this to Apple, at their e-mail address...unless they have some Apple developers here on GS.
Old 2nd March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
I see you have PT , so boot camp amigo and you will be safe .....for now i suggset you try and test until then .....
In windows all the apps run better (i tested it) except PT 9 i diodn't tried the last one ......so try and see ....will test soon , as i'm a sona X1 user i don't really care.....but i like to know what's good and not ...
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I see you have PT , so boot camp amigo and you will be safe .....for now i suggset you try and test until then .....
In windows all the apps run better (i tested it) except PT 9 i diodn't tried the last one ......so try and see ....will test soon , as i'm a sona X1 user i don't really care.....but i like to know what's good and not ...
I have just ran a week with Bootcamp/Win7. I didn't notice any difference in CPU/Performance. (did a lot of tests)
My MOTU MicroBook didn't work that great either (thats more MOTU related though), so i switched back to OSX.

I miss the "snappyness" in Win however (and some win-only apps/plugins), so perhaps ill try it again someday.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's inevitable. Microsoft is going the exact same way too with Windows 8 ( in fact it's worse, as they will only have one version for both Desktop and Tablets/Smartphone , where Apple still maintains 2 different versions even though lots of things are converging )
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

I just bought a maxed out Macbook pro, downgraded it to SL, knowing there is a new update imminent, I don't want a mac that is made to work like an iPad, and the next generation are not going to run Snow leopard, so at least I know I'll have a good machine to run my current system for 3 years, hopefully after that time the newer OS will be more to a professionals liking. Although i'm not holding my breath, I really hope they don't keep dumbing down.. I work for Apple by the way :/
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

+1 to all of this. I made SURE I bought a new MBP last year while Snow Leopard was still the stock OS. And I will not be touching Lion, maybe ever. Because my next music computer could actually be a Windows 7 machine. And I only switched TO Mac 2 years ago! I never imagined I'd be going back. But it's a real possibility.

Apple Mac users used to be a niche group, and Apple catered to us, cause we were their bread and butter... the artistic community. Now they got the masses hooked on everything Apple via the iPhone and iOS. They kinda don't need us anymore I'm afraid.
Old 2nd March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffensen View Post
I have just ran a week with Bootcamp/Win7. I didn't notice any difference in CPU/Performance. (did a lot of tests)
My MOTU MicroBook didn't work that great either (thats more MOTU related though), so i switched back to OSX.

I miss the "snappyness" in Win however (and some win-only apps/plugins), so perhaps ill try it again someday.
Well a friend of mine did the PT test as well as Ableton .....40 more tracks in ableton but PT crashed quiker ...don't know if it's PT ....fireface 400 on the test ....

For my part as i'm conviced that Win is better than OSX , except for Logic user , i see no proaudio "interest " of using osx more than win ....

Motu drivers in windows is a joke ....

best dirvers for osx and win : RME , Roland ...the only that have excellent drivers for both platform ...
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

gosh I´m so tired of all this consumer crap..

But it´s the future i guess..:(
Old 2nd March 2012
I'd like a touch screen Mac Pro compatible with software. Bring it on!
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think it matters what the o/s is as long as it's stable. Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Live, Studio One, etc are all going to open up and work the same. The o/s is just a host so we can get to work. Windows 8 is moving in the same direction. The way of the world.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

So funny, 28 years ago everybody balked at the Macintosh with its mouse and GUI. Professionals needed the terminal, point and click could never offer the kind of control that the good old command line had.

I think multi-touch is the best thing ever, but apps need to be redesigned and optimized to take full advantage of it.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Lion is a pile of wombat droppings TBH !! And its only going to get worse !!!
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
+1 to all of this. I made SURE I bought a new MBP last year while Snow Leopard was still the stock OS. And I will not be touching Lion, maybe ever. Because my next music computer could actually be a Windows 7 machine. And I only switched TO Mac 2 years ago! I never imagined I'd be going back. But it's a real possibility.

Apple Mac users used to be a niche group, and Apple catered to us, cause we were their bread and butter... the artistic community. Now they got the masses hooked on everything Apple via the iPhone and iOS. They kinda don't need us anymore I'm afraid.
I 100% agree on the ipadification of computers (and lots of gear) but have you seen Windows8? Better buy that 7 machine today. Windows 8 makes the new integrated apple os/ios looks positively old fashioned
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

I'm a die-hard mac user. Switched 12 years ago. Never looked back.

Until Lion. My notebook runs it. I admit, it's great for looking at pr0n. But my studio machine got downgraded to SL the day it came home.

Truthfully, I see this as Linux's opportunity to take the pro market. Think about an Avid designed flavor of Linux. Pro tools, plus a web browser. Mmm. Spartan.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I 100% agree on the ipadification of computers (and lots of gear) but have you seen Windows8? Better buy that 7 machine today. Windows 8 makes the new integrated apple os/ios looks positively old fashioned
Luckily you can boot into the old fashioned desktop if you want but I concur I hate metro on the desktop. I have used both MAC and PC for years and I'm sticking with Snow Leopard for the foreseeable future. If it wasn't for crappy plugin support for windows I'd switch back as I definitely see pro tools 10 native as more stable under heavy loads in windows.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Question for the complainers: what prevents you from turning off features you don't like? Are you complaining about the stability of the OS or the features?

I will agree, there are some features that were added in Lion that I find pretty useless. But there are a lot of little things that were added that I now find pretty indispensable (text replacement, full disk encryption, etc). I do wish I could get the old Exposé back (not Launchpad, I don't really uses Spaces all that much).

My point is, until Apple forces you to use "iPad-like" features and removes the "old way of doing things", what is preventing you from ignoring them? I personally find Lion just as stable as Snow Leopard. But whining about something without any declaration as to why you are voicing those complaints is pointless.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post
My point is, until Apple forces you to use "iPad-like" features and removes the "old way of doing things", what is preventing you from ignoring them? I personally find Lion just as stable as Snow Leopard. But whining about something without any declaration as to why you are voicing those complaints is pointless.
I agree. I'm waiting for someone to tell me how the new unified OS will affect the operation of their favorite DAW.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
I agree. I'm waiting for someone to tell me how the new unified OS will affect the operation of their favorite DAW.
Agree a billion times over. I was just about to ask the same thing.
In particular, the transition from 10.7 to 10.8 doesn't REMOVE anything. It ADDS features from iOS that don't detract from the overall OS whatsoever.
Bunch of whiners. Haven't even used it, haven't actually THOUGHT CRITICALLY AND REFLECTED on what, if any, impact these changes will have on their production, but still want to complain.
Bah!

As for me, I'm happy to have an OS that still does everything the old one does PLUS is more consistent with my mobile devices, thus slightly simplifying the digital aspects of my life overall.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

I currently have Lion but I will not be upgrading to snow lion due to the fact that I had to go thru hell to get Logic pro 9 to work again when I did the upgrade to Lion. Also if your running on a iMac you have overheating issues moving to Lion sooo... yeah. Not for me.
Old 3rd March 2012
I don't see it as a unification, more of a consistency in feature set and user interface; A continuation. Don't worry, we won't be moving over to MultiTouch Cinema Displays any time soon as it was said in a presentation that the Magic Trackpad was a better choice for user interface on a laptop and desktop than a MultiTouch display of any description.

Remember; How is the content for these devices going to be made if the tools to create them don't exist anymore? Simple, the tools will always exist, they will just become more refined.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

Cheer up. In a schadenfreude kind of way, anyhow. You guys may get off easy.

Look what they're trying to push on us over on the dark side...

I believe we content creator types may meet again someday -- maybe not even that far in the future -- when Windows and Mac OS's are both strictly dumbed down consumer appliance OS's... and we're all together again on the Other Side...

... some future variant of Linux.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

There will be no 'iOS-ification' of the desktop OS. It's all about the 'Halo Effect'.

The iOS-ish features of Lion are just there to lure in the people who bought an iPad, and let them see that what they already know will work on this other shiny thing over here. Cross product line sales driven by a positive ownership experience on one product comprise the Halo Effect for Apple. Most of this effort is focused on computer novices, and Windows users who bought an iPad. Ooooh, shiny!

I'm using Lion, and turning off the iPad-style document scrolling, and a few other settings made it what I am comfortable with. The iPad style app launcher is cute, but entirely optional. I only see the iPad launcher thingy when I accidentally tap it's dedicated function key - so far I've been too lazy to rebind the key to something else.

And now the horrible truth! Actually, iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches are Mac-OS-ified. iOS is a seriously lightened and customized version of Mac OS X. So iPhones and iPads are really flat shiny Macs!
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

To be honest on my Snow Leopard machine I start to more and more miss those typical iOS features like iMessage, directly tweet a picture from Finder, iCloud integration. If my professional apps like Logic and FCP continue to work as they do now, I'd certainly welcome 10.8. Every OSX incarantion came with features I never or hardly used. As long as they don't get in the way of my workflow I couldn't care less.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post
Question for the complainers: what prevents you from turning off features you don't like? Are you complaining about the stability of the OS or the features?

I will agree, there are some features that were added in Lion that I find pretty useless. But there are a lot of little things that were added that I now find pretty indispensable (text replacement, full disk encryption, etc). I do wish I could get the old Exposé back (not Launchpad, I don't really uses Spaces all that much).

Upgrading to Lion was a disaster for my old office iMac, it feels it lost half its memory and half its CPU speed. Fortunately I updated the iMac first and could hold my horses updating my studio macs.

They are for sure removing features when introducing new ones, for example Rosetta is now discontinued.

They are wasting time implementing iPad features in our Mac OS, instead of thinking about new features for Mac´s.

Well , I am worried and I am not alone .
Old 3rd March 2012
Cog Noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertine View Post
Truthfully, I see this as Linux's opportunity to take the pro market. Think about an Avid designed flavor of Linux. Pro tools, plus a web browser. Mmm. Spartan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I believe we content creator types may meet again someday -- maybe not even that far in the future -- when Windows and Mac OS's are both strictly dumbed down consumer appliance OS's... and we're all together again on the Other Side...

... some future variant of Linux.
It'd be nice to be able to run a linux based DAW, Maybe if we could get some support from presonus or focusrite to get the ball rolling on drivers there could potentially be quite the market for it. Then we just need a good DAW for linux and we'll be set.

side note: IIRC alot of film studios tend to use linux farms for doing mass 3d rendering, there's no reason why linux couldn't be in a professional creative environment...

oh, and there's ubuntu studio which is a nice little start.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Recently here on French TV there was a documentary called "The Tyranny of Cool" (my translation), which was an eye opener. The theme was how Apple - once a symbol of counter-culture, reflecting the views of it.s founders, had over time, become the essence of conformity and mainstream. I recall as recently as 2000, billboards in the Paris metro with the theme "think differently".

Shortly after viewing the documentary, I found myself in an Apple Store here, literally being crushed by the hoards almost climbing all over each other to gawk at and in many cases purchase the latest "must have" Apple gadget, like seagulls after a piece of bread on the beach. None of them looked like "creative professionals".

The good old days are gone and have been for quite some time now. A few rants on Gearslutz will not stop the enormous "rouleau compressor" that is today's consumer-driven Apple. Somewhat like going down to the beach and screaming at the waves not to roll up on the shore.

I wish it weren't so, but it is. BTW - this is only the beginning, i'm afraid.
Cdlt

Last edited by Melgueil; 3rd March 2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: speelcheck
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think Microsoft is exactly moving in the same direction as Apple. Apple wants to combine iOS with Mac OS X... my guess is apple doesn't want to lose the X is Max OS X so they will do what they can to keep updating version X until they can release iOS X. Overall Apple wants to bring it all together, if Apple could have a full version of Final Cut Pro with thunderbolt connection for camera and high end hard drives and much more I am sure they would love to pull it off at the same time offering all of the SAME apps on all Apple products....

Microsoft I feel is very confident in gaming and their Kinect technology. Windows 8 and the Xbox 3rd Generation may coexist. What i mean is PC/Console gaming for Microsoft may be the same not limiting the Microsoft gamer. Basically giving X-Box owners a special version of Windows similar to Windows Phone with the ability to just buy X-Box "720" games for both their desktop and console system.

Apple follows in the Consumer to Professional as where Microsoft is Consumer to Gamer. Gamer's require just as much insane resources as a professional does. Bottom line is I think everyone is looking at it all too negative. Integration means they are forcing you to change the way you work in the future... when have they not done that ever. I've had my bad say about Apple but I feel computer advancement is not a real problem.
Old 3rd March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
Apple follows in the Consumer to Professional...
I would say they follow the consumer and used to follow the professional.
Old 3rd March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Recently here on French TV there was a documentary called "The Tyranny of Cool" (my translation), which was an eye opener. The theme was how Apple - once a symbol of counter-culture, reflecting the views of it.s founders, had over time, become the essence of conformity and mainstream. I recall as recently as 2000, billboards in the Paris metro with the theme "think differently".

Shortly after viewing the documentary, I found myself in an Apple Store here, literally being crushed by the hoards almost climbing all over each other to gawk at and in many cases purchase the latest "must have" Apple gadget, like seagulls after a piece of bread on the beach. None of them looked like "creative professionals".

The good old days are gone and have been for quite some time now. A few rants on Gearslutz will not stop the enormous "rouleau compressor" that is today's consumer-driven Apple. Somewhat like going down to the beach and screaming at the waves not to roll up on the shore.

I wish it weren't so, but it is. BTW - this is only the beginning, i'm afraid.
Cdlt
Yep i saw this excellent documentary with Ikea also .....

I don't know if you guyz remember one of the first apple commercial with the girl running (1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial - YouTube)

In fact this became the excat opposite ....with super biased vision , costumers loked in a system .....the perfect exemple is this for exemple wher 2 visions are in colusion :
One for pro one for .....my wife ...lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5v5ziNp1fk

I really think the apple "Pro" costumers need to lobby way more and spam apple dev dept .....the problem is that appl "Pro" user i thinking this is the holly gral .....no way to have a serious objectif and constructive talk most of the time (not always , a chance !)

So apple users : fight for your right , and as a pc users (that tried apple also and knows those babay wel) i will support you ;

Fight for retro compatibility , fight for serious waranty option, fight for back of non glossy screens (imacs ...ect) , fight for serious ports options like it used to be ....

A pro and regular os should be some cool , as multi boot is easy ....like a OSX pro and osx Multimedia oriented
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search