Why Cubase 6.5 is a PAID update?
New Reply
Subscribe
Deleted User
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Deleted User

Why Cubase 6.5 is a PAID update?

What I don't understand is why Cubase 6.5 is a PAID update?
Who asked for more synths that will later be discontinued?

EDIT>
addendum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User
Look, let's all cut the bs and the obviousness if only for one time.

All many of us are saying is:

- This IS a money milking scheme. This is undeniable.
- Anyone saying "you can just not update", trust us, you are not saying something we don't know or discovering anything new, just like adding a granular or substractive synth or an internal link to soundcloud is not anything new.
- This scheme is within the range and style of the NI Komplete marketing fiasco: "if you buy Komplete but not Komplete Ultimate, then your product is Komplete but not complete".

I guess what we are saying is: Steinberg, stop trying to get creative in your money milking schemes, you are not impressing us. Please be serious. Charge on justified integer upgrades. Not on point updates, as all normal companies do.

Why this thread is necessary? So that all user perspectives on the matter are shared by users, and they make an informed decision on whether to buy into this money milking scheme or not. Flashing news: although informally in this setting, we can in fact reach consensus as a group of users on whether these corporate practices should be encouraged or not, and act accordingly.

Now, let's keep stating the reasons for a yes or a no, and let's get rid of the personal attacks. It's incredible how people act like the world revolves around them. Not the case really: 99.99% of slutz here are USERS, not investors worried about their Steinberg stock.

More empathy towards users by users would be in order.

Thank you.

1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Deleted User
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
To make whiny people piss and moan, no other reason. These are the same people who just spent $49 on dinner tonight
Take a closer look:New in version 6.5
Good "logic". OK, you go and buy them dinner then. I know I won't because those 2 non-innovative synths (nobody asked for) you can do yourself using synthedit or reaktor, and so they do not justify to buy steinys any dinners.

They will become abandonware soon enough (Hypersonic anyone?) anyway...

The comping thing was a half ass implementation in the last version, so it should not be paid for.

Soundcloud? I won't even address how anyone could not care less about having soundcloud within their DAW. But you might love that, so that's OK I guess. )

1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

then stay with v5.5 ( a very good version by the way) you don't HAVE to upgrade every time, it's a choice

MC
Deleted User
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Deleted User

really? I didn't know

1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

Wait...So what happens when the NEXT update after 6.5 contains bug fixes??? You can't patch your cubase unless you've paid for an update?
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCharlesHann View Post
Wait...So what happens when the NEXT update after 6.5 contains bug fixes??? You can't patch your cubase unless you've paid for an update?
no, not true! They are working on a 6 update as well.

Anyway Cubase is the moste stable DAW I ever had, and I own a couple..

I´m very much willing to pay that little money to have a good product.
How much did I spent an Sonar and can´t even use it anymore..
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarin View Post
I´m very much willing to pay that little money to have a good product. .
Absolutely.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
then stay with v5.5 ( a very good version by the way) you don't HAVE to upgrade every time, it's a choice
Yup, I'm still on 5.5.3 and in no hurry to update.

Ironically, 6.5 makes the recent upgrade price hike from $149 to $199 easier to stomach.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
SLL
Gear maniac

I don't understand why people are so angry. The price for those nice good sounding synths isn't much + you get the other nice new features in the update. You also get's some new amp stuff and plugins + flac support, soundcloud upload and audio warp features directly from the quantize dialog. That's at least the stuff that I like, and doesn't mind paying a little for.

Think about it, pizza for the family will cost you just as much, and doesn't last very long :-)
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I guess somebody has to pay for the Greek bailout!
Seriously this is all becoming the norm nowadays...
Companies are looking for any excuse to get revenue to stay afloat.
We consumers are the oil that greases their gears of industry...and were either broke, don't have the expendable income or are tired of buying this stuff...
We are being dinged at every turn for every little thing we own or do.
I for one have stopped....if you are a recording business using Cubase6 and it generates you money and a profit, then $50 for these new features might help your bottom line and it's not a big deal....I seriously doubt that...So why do it?...I think it's some sort of mind control...ooooh look new stuff only $49.95....bait!
This sort of update/upgrade technique is really the basis of software marketing.
Get consumers to buy your game/toy/app then release updates/upgrades for more money stringing the consumer along indefinitely...the trick is targeting the price where the hook catches a high percentage of fish.
It's a similar technique used in offering $9.99 a month for some game/video service....hook set...data plans...hook set...phone apps...hook set
So it's just more of Fish on!....reel em in...that's all we are!
It's really nonsense to be indignant or shocked by what corporations come up with....that's what they do all day!....figure out how to sustain the catch!
I think I'm gonna sit back and save my money and stop supporting the nonsense.
Maybe they will get the picture, but I doubt it...we all have to stop to Occupy Cubase...LOL
YMMV
mfx
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

Happy to pay the small sum for the update although pissed that the 6.5 is not fully functional until 6.6 next week...that is laughable and effing pointless.

So on one hand no it's not much money but ffs Steinberg get the release out bug free, muppets.

On the other hand I am stuck with Cubase regardless of the other DAWs installed that just don't appear to be as slick impo.
Deleted User
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Cubase 6.5 is not fully functional until 6.6 next week...that is laughable

HAHAHAHAHA
OMFG!!! Unbelievable. There you go.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
I guess somebody has to pay for the Greek bailout!
;-)

Quote:
Seriously this is all becoming the norm nowadays...
Companies are looking for any excuse to get revenue to stay afloat.
We consumers are the oil that greases their gears of industry...and were either broke, don't have the expendable income or are tired of buying this stuff...
We are being dinged at every turn for every little thing we own or do.
To be fair, DAWs are quite a bit cheaper than they used to be...

Alistair
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
;-)
To be fair, DAWs are quite a bit cheaper than they used to be...
Alistair
That may be true, just like many things in the world can get cheaper.
I think my main point was that your being strung along like a drug addict on a lot of this consumer technology and if your not aware of that you really should be and if your happy with your life of that then great...break out your dough and stop whining about it....great over it, this sort of marketing tactic isn't going to change anytime soon to your benefit...
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Just switch to Logic and be done with it. Logic paid updates are few and far between.
mrc
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
mrc
Gear addict

or go with reaper. free updates there.

Sent from my MB525 using Gearslutz App
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just switch to Logic and be done with it. Logic paid updates are few and far between.
For Logic, yes. Don't tell that to a MainStage user. The recent 2.2 update(mainly bug fixes) is a 30$ paid "upgrade". They're all the same. As pointed out, you're in no way forced to update/grade. I didn't care for the 2.2 bug fixes, so i'm still at 9.1.3 for MainStage.

KA
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to chymer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Happy to pay the small sum for the update although pissed that the 6.5 is not fully functional until 6.6 next week...that is laughable and effing pointless.

So on one hand no it's not much money but ffs Steinberg get the release out bug free, muppets.

On the other hand I am stuck with Cubase regardless of the other DAWs installed that just don't appear to be as slick impo.
???
Cubase 6.06 is released next week with some bug fixes for free.

6.5 is fully functional and includes the forthcoming 6.06 bug fixes i think.

Unless I'm unaware of something.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Or go to PT for the incredible paid ticket support system...
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

49 Euros is not a lot of money but it would depend on what type of user and how long I had owned it as to whether or not out of principle, it's totally wrong.

Someone who paid 149 Euros to go from 5 to 6 when it was released probably doesn't' care all that much about paying 49 Euros for this upgrade.

But imagine you paid out say 550 Euros for the full version of Cubase 6, registered it on the 30th December, just 9 weeks ago, and are now told you shouldn't be moaning about paying another 49 Euros to update it, well if I was in that position, I would be less than impressed.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLL View Post
I don't understand why people are so angry. The price for those nice good sounding synths isn't much + you get the other nice new features in the update. You also get's some new amp stuff and plugins + flac support, soundcloud upload and audio warp features directly from the quantize dialog. That's at least the stuff that I like, and doesn't mind paying a little for.

Think about it, pizza for the family will cost you just as much, and doesn't last very long :-)
Yep, for me I like the upgrade as I was going to buy padshop anyway.

But there's loads of people that already own things like omnisphere, various NI packs etc who have no interest in the new stuff included in 6.5 and why should such people be forced to pay for them (which in reality they are, as things like the lanes working as they used to, wont be included in the free update next week).

Also not everyone has loads of disposable income. Some people have pizza delivered every week, others have it every few months still others don't have it delivered at all as they don't earn that much and simply don't have that sort of money to throw around. Such people could well have skipped an upgrade, finally upgraded to 6.0 in the understanding that they will have free updates throughout that versions life cycle.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Just switch to Logic and be done with it. Logic paid updates are few and very far between.
Fixed it for you! ;-)
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted Userc View Post
Good "logic". OK, you go and buy them dinner then. I know I won't because those 2 non-innovative synths (nobody asked for) you can do yourself using synthedit or reaktor, and so they do not justify to buy steinys any dinners.

They will become abandonware soon enough (Hypersonic anyone?) anyway...

The comping thing was a half ass implementation in the last version, so it should not be paid for.

Soundcloud? I won't even address how anyone could not care less about having soundcloud within their DAW. But you might love that, so that's OK I guess. )
Ill try again, you are the SAME guy that will spend $49 on food that comes out the other end in less than 24 hours but you come here to bitch about $49 which includes several cool things: FLAC, SoundCloud, 64bit ReWire, Improved Comping etc. Quit your crying and record something
I suggest you get a new DAW
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

i hope the cubase 7 update is 49 € bugs cheaper for cubase 6.5 users
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-smile-z View Post
i hope the cubase 7 update is 49 € bugs cheaper for cubase 6.5 users
I dont know exactly by how much but according to the mods on Steinberg forum it will be cheaper.

I think that (with that in mind) though im not really jumping for joy at any of the new features and dont like how theyve gone about this, if you have to pay more in the end anyway to get up to 7 (which i will almost certainly be going for) It actually makes sense to go for 6.5 now, and enjoy what it has to offer. There is talk of bugs and some instability so im gonna give it a few weeks at least. But if it sounds stable for the majority it might be worth while doing it sooner rather than later. If you go for 7 in the future, youll pay for this update whether you take it now or not.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Or do what I'm doing...not seeing anything of value, I don't give them money.
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Why ? Because it's "Phat, phresh and phunky".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
They aren't actually.

"Your one-user, full-use license includes up to two major version numbers' worth of REAPER's famous frequent upgrades."
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post

Sent from my MB525 using Gearslutz App
Amen brother. Switched to Reaper after getting Cubase 6 last year. Not looking back. Used Cubase since 2004.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Cubase 6.5 slogan should be: "A new way to make our customers pay for maintenance updates".

I just hope this doesn´t set the precedent for other software companies, ´cause Steinberg has clearly gone crooked.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search