Windows 8 Consumer Preview
New Reply
Subscribe
jnorman
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

MS has released a beta download for windows 8 for folks to try out. looks like an overblown smartphone, but whatever...

anyway, non-audio related - my wife's laptop, a core-2 duo toshiba, now running vista 32 bit, has developed severla buggy things, and i dont have any windows discs or restore files to fix it with. i was thinking of buying a hard copy of win 7 and rebuilding her machine. now i am wondering if i could just DL this beta win 8 and try that?

will the win 8 beta DL allow me to completely wipe the HDD and do a clean install? any reason why it might not run on her machine? other probelms i might run into? thanks.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear maniac

You can do that and it should work fine. The only thing to remember is it is a preview (it WILL be more buggy in some shape or form, though you probably won't notice for the most part), and it contains a time bomb. When it reaches a certain date it will inform you that the test is over, then shut itself down etc. You will then need to reinstall a final retail version.
jnorman
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

thanks ene
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm actually going to do that for my wife and see how it works out, even though I have a Win7 Home 64bit license sitting here for her. I've had her using Pinguy OS just to see how transparent it was for a non linux user (fork of Ubuntu with a ton of preinstalled crap) and I think she'll take ok to it on her little i3 laptop. My reasoning is the apparently smaller footprint and possible higher power savings that they've promised with Win 8.

When they did this with Win7 they had another version ready at each stage of the process and I was able to carry every machine I used those on up to a nice inexpensive preorder copy that they still run to date. So if they follow a similar pattern, the only real caveat with the timebomb is moving their data over to the new installs that you'll be facing at each stage. All I did was my usual method of keeping backups of any installers on hand that I've used and backing up the user directory content that matters (appdata & various documents/pics etc folders). A usb drive works fine for that...
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I'm actually going to do that for my wife and see how it works out, even though I have a Win7 Home 64bit license sitting here for her. I've had her using Pinguy OS just to see how transparent it was for a non linux user (fork of Ubuntu with a ton of preinstalled crap) and I think she'll take ok to it on her little i3 laptop. My reasoning is the apparently smaller footprint and possible higher power savings that they've promised with Win 8.

When they did this with Win7 they had another version ready at each stage of the process and I was able to carry every machine I used those on up to a nice inexpensive preorder copy that they still run to date. So if they follow a similar pattern, the only real caveat with the timebomb is moving their data over to the new installs that you'll be facing at each stage. All I did was my usual method of keeping backups of any installers on hand that I've used and backing up the user directory content that matters (appdata & various documents/pics etc folders). A usb drive works fine for that...

I did exactly the same, I was running OSX at the time and win 7 x64 brought me back to windows.

MC
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

From what I can see so far this looks like a real jumbled mess of old and new and pad and desktop that doesn't quite get along so well, yet . . .
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Honestly I'm less concerned about whether the new UI stuff is fully fleshed out, and more concerned with how it will run casual apps for my wife (as the above poster stated). Win7 64bit was no worse than Vista64 on launch but it wasn't usable for my daily workload. I did full installs of most of my work software on each new version and while I could have moved with the final RC or so I waited until launch to commit. However it was useful as a daily OS for a casual user from the get-go, and with a bit of learning or disabling of broken features I'm betting Win8 will be too.

So for a GS user while it might be worth having a Win8 partition to test your DAW app(s) & plugins, I can't imagine using it for a work install unless you're completely skint.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search