Focusrite Saphire Pro 40 - Connection issues
New Reply
Subscribe
josh385
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear nut

Focusrite Saphire Pro 40 - Connection issues

Hi guys this is my first post, I hope its in the right place.

I recently bought a new Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 but i haven't been able to connect it properly with my mac book. Sometimes it detects it in my system overview and sometimes not. I can find it in my logic settings and in my system sound settings and audio midi settings. However the FW light never turns on ether way on the pro 40 and there is never any connectivity between the two.

I have attached some pictures to hopefully make it easyier for some help they all screen shots.

My firewire port works fine (tested with HD) and the pro 40 works fine (tested on mac mini)

I have contacted focusrite customer support but they haven't helped as yet.

Any ideas at all would be great i super angry i can't get recording!

Attached Images
File Type: png Macbook Sytem Overview.png (26.2 KB, 193 views) File Type: png Device Tree in sytem overview.png (67.2 KB, 177 views) File Type: png Audio Midi Devices.png (68.7 KB, 262 views) File Type: png Logic Sytem Preeferences.png (67.7 KB, 131 views) File Type: png Sytem Sound preferences.png (50.9 KB, 215 views) File Type: png Mix Control.png (106.7 KB, 226 views)
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Saffire Pro 40. It works best with a T.I. FW chipset in the PC. I don't know what Mac's use, but that is the first step, assuming the FW cable is good.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Association
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Are you turning off the macbook before you plug it in? The interface is on before you turn on the MacBook I assume...

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm familiar with similar issues Josh

Our set up - '08 MacBook Pro, FW400 to Pro40, FW800 to external drive, USB hub feeding an Edirol UM-1, an Alesis Trigger I/O & DMXIS Hardware box

Firing up the MBP with everything hooked up rarely results in everything actually connecting properly first time. However, carrying out the following procedure works for us every time:

1 - Make sure Pro40 is turned off
2 - Make sure any USB plugs are disconnected
3 - Fire up the MBP
4 - 'Remove' USB devices from within the Audio/MIDI window (that's actually set to 'Open at Start Up' on our system)
5 - Turn on the Pro40 and wait for it to connect
6 - Plug in the USB stuff and you're away

I've often wondered why there appears to be a conflict and how it's fussy about a connection order (or even how I came to discover a consistent work around!) but once it's up and running, there's no further problems so it's kinda second nature now

However, if you don't have any USB devices, then I've no idea what your particular issue might be
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear interested

possible soloution

try disable the mac's sound card in mac's sound setting and restart the mac

is the saffire software correctly installed and do you get any signal on that?
josh385
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for your replies.

Yea turning the MB off before i turn on the SP40 just like the focusrite trouble shooting said.

Unfortunately i don't have any other devices plugged in at the moment, i can see it in my FW device tree but not anywhere else today!

Do you know of anyone who has got the working with a macbook?

Thanks
Josh
josh385
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubman View Post
try disable the mac's sound card in mac's sound setting and restart the mac

is the saffire software correctly installed and do you get any signal on that?
I don't think you can turn of the sound card in Mac Books, The saffire mix control is unto date. I can't get any signal and most of the time my MB won't even detect that its connected.

Thanks
Josh
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
Does your FireWire host controller have the TI chipset?
josh385
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

No its got the Lucent chip set
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

That's probably the culprit. I have a 2007 iMac with a Lucent chipset, the Pro 40 and well...it isn't exactly rock solid - usually takes 2-3 reboots to connect properly. However, it does work perfectly once it connects. Just don't even dream of putting anything else on the FW bus.
josh385
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear nut

Ah that is very unfortunate! So there is not much I can do to get around it short of buying a new laptop?

Does anybody know what year macs have different chips?

Thanks
josh385
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

I was just looking at my mac mini (which the SP40 works on) has the same FW chip set at my mac book. That seems strange?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I had the same problem. The solution was to get rid of it. Besides, Focusrite interfaces are not the best choice when you want low latencies anyway (which I do).
josh385
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

I was thinking of getting rid of the mac before the focusrite?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
I had the same problem. The solution was to get rid of it. Besides, Focusrite interfaces are not the best choice when you want low latencies anyway (which I do).
Never had any latency issues with my Liquid Saffire 56. I've used other FireWire and USB interfaces and none of them have been any better - some around the same (FW ones) and some worse (USB). If I wanted to run at even lower latencies than I can currently achieve, I'd probably be looking to go PCI/PCIe. Unless that's what you're suggesting?
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
The chipset is definitely the culprit. The Saffires need the TI chip to function. It's a great interface, and I've experienced no latency with mine

Guitar/Backline Tech and Mobile Recording services in the Los Angeles area!
Custom stompboxes and cabling for stage and studio.

Die-hard Phila Eagles fan!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

The Saffire Pro 40 uses the "DICE" Firewire chipset. the DICE and DICE II want to see a T.I. at the other end.

DICE/DICE II is used by many audio firewire device manufacturers.
josh385
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear nut

Ok thanks for the information. But i have heard that heaps of people use MBP with them? there not being made with TI chipsets anymore are they?
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

They switched to Agere at some point a few years back, but it seems the new ones are again TI. Only the Pro models though - the vanilla Macbook is still being shipped with the Agere chip. Or at least that's what I've gathered.
27th July 2012
Old 27th July 2012
Gear interested

My MBP is a late 2011 version (8,1) and it has a Lucent chipset. I've heard that the Lucent is decent; but I've also read (from Focusrite) that the DAW wants to see TI or VIA at the other end. Here is the info on it:

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/...patibility.pdf

I determined what my internal chipset was by hitting command-S during the boot-up process....which showed me Lucent.

Yet, I am still hosting a forum thread on here, because my MBP does not offer a PCI express card or any other express card slot and I'm a bit concerned about getting the best "non-latency" as possible. Basically, I'd like to know what is the absolute best set up, because as I see it... in my situation... I've got three options: 1) Changing out the chipset that is internally in the thing (which i don't know how to do) or 2) putting an SD to ExpressCard converter into the SD slot -> PCMCIA/ExpressCard into the converter that has a 6pin firewire 400 into the Express Card. Yuck! or 3) using this little Sonnet firewire converter that is neither made by VIA or TI and will just convert the current Lucent port from a 9pin /800firewire port to a 6pin/400 firewire ...port (hence leaving me still with the possible latency issues).

If anyone has any ideas on how to help me with this too.. I'd love your input. i do not want to get rid of my MBP or my Saphire Pro 40.... Hmmmm
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

I just have to say that contrary to what I said before, my SP40 has somehow gotten "used to" (although I can't see how that'd be possible) my system now and there are rarely any niggles anymore, compared to the rocky start where I always had to boot the computer a few times to get it to connect and it still would drop out every now and then forcing another reboot. Now it's been totally stable for a good while.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search