New Reply
Subscribe
FollowTheMusic
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

Pro Tools - Scenario with Undo Record and lost takes

Hi all,

The following happened during a session today and, while not tragic, definitely messed with my mojo. I'm aware that Undo Record will cause audio files to be deleted once it's pushed from the redo buffer, but I didn't think it would apply here.

1. Record some takes, let's say "audio_01.wav" in file "test.ptf"
2. File > Save As (not Save a Copy) "test2.ptf" in the same directory. The new file inherits the Undo buffer.
3. Do some editing, etc. then Undo back all the way (including undoing the record that created "audio_01.wav").
4. Close "test2.ptf" and open "test.ptf"
5. Get missing files error; "audio_01.wav" is missing from the disk.

I cannot replicate this behavior. Is this a bug or can someone point out my error? This was PT 8 (I think with the latest patches) on Mac ) OS 10.5.8 - thanks for any help!
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowTheMusic View Post
Hi all,

The following happened during a session today and, while not tragic, definitely messed with my mojo. I'm aware that Undo Record will cause audio files to be deleted once it's pushed from the redo buffer, but I didn't think it would apply here.

1. Record some takes, let's say "audio_01.wav" in file "test.ptf"
2. File > Save As (not Save a Copy) "test2.ptf" in the same directory. The new file inherits the Undo buffer.
3. Do some editing, etc. then Undo back all the way (including undoing the record that created "audio_01.wav").
4. Close "test2.ptf" and open "test.ptf"
5. Get missing files error; "audio_01.wav" is missing from the disk.

I cannot replicate this behavior. Is this a bug or can someone point out my error? This was PT 8 (I think with the latest patches) on Mac ) OS 10.5.8 - thanks for any help!
This is normal behaviour. Record audio is undo able - in this circumstance, you've undone a recording charged by two sessions. If you saved as, then closed and re-opened, you'd clear the undo buffer.

Or just don't undo your recording! Either way, there's no issue to be dealt with - operator error only.

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
FollowTheMusic
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

I appreciate the reply, but I'm not totally satisfied, as I am completely unable to duplicate this behavior with any combination of saving or not saving, closing and reopening. It was my understanding that no audio files created prior to the Save As could be erased by undoing, regardless of the normal Undo Record behavior. Can anyone actually replicate a situation where this happens?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search