Elder Scrolls Oblivion mimicing
Goit
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear maniac

Elder Scrolls Oblivion mimicing

I'm looking to create this type of sound:

OBLIVION SOUNDTRACK 2 (KING AND COUNTRY) - YouTube

I would characterize it as kind of "cold" and "bright" and "dimensional". Hollywood Strings and such are too lush/warm (aka cheesy).

Most of the "dry" libraries like LASS/Session Strings are too "in your face", because of how they were recorded. I listened to as many dev/user demos as I could find and adding some reverb to them just isn't the same. They lack the "remoteness", and "cleanness" of what the track has.

EWQLSO sound close, but I'm just trying to see if there is anything newer than that. If not I'll have to settle for it when they have another of their 50% sales.

Thanks.
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
that's because it's a real orchestra. Prague symphony orchestra plays it, arranged by Jeremy Soule
Goit
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
that's because it's a real orchestra. Prague symphony orchestra plays it, arranged by Jeremy Soule
Then any newer library that sounds like EWQLSO?
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Grab a few mics and an orchestra?
Goit
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear maniac

Then what is the closest to that sound?
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Hollywood Strings can get you there, LASS can get you there, Cinematic strings can get you there, as can EWQLSO and VSL.

If you dont start with good samples, then the following does not apply. If you do start with good samples (as in all of the above cases), then the following does apply:

It's all about the person working with the library.

No lib is going to sound realistic out of the box. They all need to be tweaked, some more than others. and no lib is going to replace the real thing, but if you work hard enough, you can get pretty close.

Cheers.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
No lib is going to sound realistic out of the box. They all need to be tweaked, some more than others.
Cheers.

Yup, that's what they don't tell you when you spend those thousand of $$$, that the register aren't balanced properly, that the response is too slow to read a score properly; that the VSL solo violin harmonics are 6.xxdb too loud, and you need a register curve to attenuate the pizz volume in the higher register... And that your going to take 3 years of your life to do the job they didn't do (or have done with a technician and db meter instead of the good ears of an experienced conductor).

But to respond to the thread started: in good music, musical material and orchestration are intertwined and impossible to separate.
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

you can spend a whole day just sorting out the articulations on the strings !!!
Goit
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Yup, that's what they don't tell you when you spend those thousand of $$$, that the register aren't balanced properly, that the response is too slow to read a score properly; that the VSL solo violin harmonics are 6.xxdb too loud, and you need a register curve to attenuate the pizz volume in the higher register...
About this I was recommended to use synths along with samples, something about synths are indespensible for the precision needed to fill in the imperfections of large sample libraries. I tend to agree because every single of these huge 1K+ libs all come with tons of angry internet posts, and problems usually still are unbearable for the users even after 2 years and 3 revisions. (That's why I have held off purchasing a single of these mammoth orchestral libraries)

Do you know of some good synths that are geared towards orchestral sequencing? (for use alongside samples, not replace them) Edirol is too old, I have the MotuSymphonicInstruments.

Quote:
But to respond to the thread started: in good music, musical material and orchestration are intertwined and impossible to separate.
I'm not disputing that.
The problem is that some libraries are dead in the water with no chance at redemption because the flaws are at the recording level. What is a flaw is up to personal opinion, but for me the "silent stage" thing basically crosses the VSL solo and chamber strings out as a possibility for me.
Goit
26th February 2012
Old 26th February 2012
Gear maniac

Is there anything that sounds like the SRX-06 from Roland? (sample libraries of course)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search