sn0rk
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Head

The Next-Generation MacBook Pro 2012

18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm getting ready to buy a new MBP soon and if that article is true I'll be buying a used one. But I think a lot of that is speculation.
MacPro 2.8 "Nehalem" quad, 12gRam, Osx 10.7.3 | Cubase 6.5, Logic 9.1.6, Pro Tools 10.2, DSP-Quattro, VePro 5 | SSL AlphaLinkAX, SSL MadiExtreme 64 | Api 3124+ , Focusrite Isa-428, Distressor, dbx-160x | Pro Ac 100s, Ns-10's , Avantone's | to many plugins and VI's to list | lots of mics as well
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
drake.ch

Please please dual internal drives!
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
Would love that as well, but i really don´t think that´s gonna happen.

Apple want us to store stuff on thunderbolt peripherals and Icloud.

We can consider us lucky if there´s more internal HD space than what is needed for OS and some pointless apps..
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post
Not happening. But there's always this.

19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
Would love that as well, but i really don´t think that´s gonna happen.

Apple want us to store stuff on thunderbolt peripherals and Icloud.

We can consider us lucky if there´s more internal HD space than what is needed for OS and some pointless apps..
The Pros bodies will still be bigger than what is foundi n the Air, they will have to be to have the hotter cips and graphics cards. With no more optical, they gain about 20 or 25% of their internal space back. We could see a setup like is currently BTO on the iMac where you have a SSD for the main and a SATA drive for the extra. Prices and capacity have not gone in opposite directions fast enough for the pro line to be entirely SSD
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

You can replace the optical drive with a second hard drive in the current MBP as well as in most of the previous generations.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Dankin, read the article: they're predicting the elimination of the internal optical drive in future MBPs.
MediaMix
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
MediaMix

Nice. As long as they give us option of 2 SSD drives like the iMac. I haven't used the superdrive in a macbook pro or mac pro in over a year. DAWs, plugins, and updates are all downloadable now. None of our clients want cds burned anymore for music sessions. We either go direct to ipod/iphone/flash drive or send playlist thru itunes wi-fi. Just about everyone has ipod/iphone hookups in their cars or aux inputs for other media devices/smart phones.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Dankin, read the article: they're predicting the elimination of the internal optical drive in future MBPs.
I did that's why I said if it was true I would probably buy a used current model. I don't care about the optical drive but I do care about connectivity.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

The new macs don't even need an OS installation DVD or USB drive. They have network connectivity built into the firmware that can connect to apple, download and install the OS.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Well I'm pretty sure the new MBP will use nVidia cards based on the many reports around that rumor.

I expect the FireWire will be replaced with a USB 3.0 port.

If the display rumor is true, it could be great for pro uses in video and photo work.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
Well I'm pretty sure the new MBP will use nVidia cards based on the many reports around that rumor.
I hope not.

Over the past few years - every really good DAW (i.e. good for very low latency glitch free audio even at very high CPU use) I have built had an Radeon GPU in it. The ones that couldn't manage this had nVidia GPUs in them.

Not conclusive by any means, but I just don't trust nVidia's bus usage as a consequence and feel a lot more comfortable when my DAW - whether a desktop or laptop, mac or PC, has an Radeon GPU in it.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
I expect the FireWire will be replaced with a USB 3.0 port.
Nope.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

If DAWS were ported to take advantage of CUDA, nVidia graphics would be a welcome addition.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

From a consumer point of view, is this Apple suggesting that I shouldn't buy CDs any more because now I won't be able to rip them to itunes and I should download my music from them instead? Does no one like the convenience of clean installs from disk? Perhaps everyone is just going to pile system on top of old system from now on as Apple seems to be directing. I guess I'm just finally old fashioned
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
From a consumer point of view, is this Apple suggesting that I shouldn't buy CDs any more because now I won't be able to rip them to itunes and I should download my music from them instead? Does no one like the convenience of clean installs from disk? Perhaps everyone is just going to pile system on top of old system from now on as Apple seems to be directing. I guess I'm just finally old fashioned
Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery

Command-R to the rescue.

Just hold down Command-R during startup and Lion Recovery springs into action. It lets you choose from common utilities: You can run Disk Utility to check or repair your hard drive, erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of Lion, or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup. You can even use Safari to get help from Apple Support online. And if Lion Recovery encounters problems, it will automatically connect to Apple over the Internet.

Basically, the OS install is now built in to the computer. Any mac can boot to a USB stick as well. I have Lion and Snow Leopard installs on a single USB stick, along with combo updates and drivers. The original MB Air actually came with a USB stick with the OS, iLife, etc. installs on it.

And you can always purchase a USB optical drive if you want to burn CDs and DVDs. They can be had for under $50.

I think the new paradigm in computer hardware is modular. You can have your audio interface, hard drives, Optical drive, 27" display, keyboard, trackpad, etc. on your desk, and it's a single thunderbolt cable to hook it up to your laptop...or iPad...or even at some point, your iPhone....
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
You can still do a clean install of your system I believe, but to do so your system links up to Apple and downloads what it needs. The newer MBA and Mini started with this and I believe they have added the capability to the other systems since.

As far as ports and videocards, Apple isn't using NVIDIA for any of their systems currently. It's always possible, but it seems like they will stay w/AMD here. Ivy Bridge has built in support for USB3, so we won't have anymore USB 2 ports on the system. We MIGHT still have a single Firewire, but honestly, USB3 and Thunderbolt is all that will be needed, so long as Apple also announces a full lineup of adapters. I know I just picked up an OWC external enclosure for 4 drives and I'm going to be setting it up w/Firewire 800 on my Mini for now, but when the TB to e-SATA adapter comes out I'll probably switch to that.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery

Command-R to the rescue.

Just hold down Command-R during startup and Lion Recovery springs into action. It lets you choose from common utilities: You can run Disk Utility to check or repair your hard drive, erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of Lion, or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup. You can even use Safari to get help from Apple Support online. And if Lion Recovery encounters problems, it will automatically connect to Apple over the Internet.

Basically, the OS install is now built in to the computer. Any mac can boot to a USB stick as well. I have Lion and Snow Leopard installs on a single USB stick, along with combo updates and drivers. The original Airs actually came with a USB stick with the OS, iLife, etc. installs on it.

And you can always purchase a USB optical drive if you want to burn CDs and DVDs. They can be had for under $50.
yeah, of course you can re-install from anything, I was just saying I'm old fashioned and like having CDs on the shelf ('convenience")- but that's just me - didn't know about that lion thing - how can the computer erase itself and reinstall the OS from the same drive? All that stuff involves having the extra drive doesn't it? And the other point - I just like to do my own installing.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
how can the computer erase itself and reinstall the OS from the same drive? All that stuff involves having the extra drive doesn't it? And the other point - I just like to do my own installing.
I believe Lion simply creates a small partition on the drive for the install files. If that becomes corrupt, or you replace your hard drive, the computer can connect to the internet at firmware level, and restore the recovery partition.

It's no different than installing from a CD. It's just that the installer resides on a partition of the hard drive.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe Lion simply creates a small partition on the drive for the install files. If that becomes corrupt, or you replace your hard drive, the computer can connect to the internet at firmware level, and restore the recovery partition.

It's no different than installing from a CD. It's just that the installer resides on a partition of the hard drive.
and we're back to connecting to the internet umbilical ... interesting though.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
and we're back to connecting to the internet umbilical ... interesting though.
Only if you actually replace the hard drive. Otherwise, the installer/recovery partition is available w/out internet connectivity. You could also copy the disk image of the recovery partition to a USB stick if you wanted a more permanent solution.

The fact is that Apple is simply moving the optical drive out of their small portables. Even Apple's own fancy aluminum external Super Drive is only $79.

From a portability standpoint, it makes perfect sense...the physical volume to storage capacity ratio is extremely high for an optical drive.

This happened with the floppy drive as well...lot's of people complained when Apple got rid of it, but it's certainly not missed these days.

It is the nature of Apple to be forward thinking, even if it means lack of legacy support. It's never been any different, and it's never going to change.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear maniac

This gizmodo text sounds a lot like the recent rumours on macrumors.com . Hence I will take this with a grain of salt. Would be a pretty ballsy move to "kill" the MBP line like this.

Personally these rumours disgust me. If that's the future of macbooks, I'll be sure to get me the last "proper" 17" MBP (2011 generation?), and when that one dies I'll switch back to using PCs.

I don't want a glorified iPad for my main computer, I want full connectivity etc ITB, without extra adapters, extra power requirements and all of that nonsense. It's supposed to be a portable computer? One that you can fully use in the forest without access to GPU docking stations, thunderbolt hubs, fast internet and external power..
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutek View Post
Would be a pretty ballsy move to "kill" the MBP line like this.

Personally these rumours disgust me. If that's the future of macbooks, I'll be sure to get me the last "proper" 17" MBP (2011 generation?), and when that one dies I'll switch back to using PCs.

I don't want a glorified iPad for my main computer, I want full connectivity etc ITB, without extra adapters, extra power requirements and all of that nonsense. It's supposed to be a portable computer? One that you can fully use in the forest without access to GPU docking stations, thunderbolt hubs, fast internet and external power..
How will this kill the MBP line? Calling it a glorified iPad is ridiculous amounts of hyperbole. Even if it lacks an optical drive the power level of the MBP is well beyond an iPad. Not to mention it actually runs OS X. Why would you need a TB hub? They clearly said USB 3 and several TB ports. TB is more flexible and faster and as it gets more popular we will see prices of TB accessories come down. Another options for some of those legacy ports when you are at home is to hook it up to a TB display. Those expand teh connectivity evry nicely for the MBA, but the MBP will have many more ports available than the MBA.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only if you actually replace the hard drive. Otherwise, the installer/recovery partition is available w/out internet connectivity. You could also copy the disk image of the recovery partition to a USB stick if you wanted a more permanent solution.

The fact is that Apple is simply moving the optical drive out of their small portables. Even Apple's own fancy aluminum external Super Drive is only $79.

From a portability standpoint, it makes perfect sense...the physical volume to storage capacity ratio is extremely high for an optical drive.

This happened with the floppy drive as well...lot's of people complained when Apple got rid of it, but it's certainly not missed these days.

It is the nature of Apple to be forward thinking, even if it means lack of legacy support. It's never been any different, and it's never going to change.
Not so handy for swapping different OS versions back and forth (which I've had to do lately), and it was very different - when I moved on from my Mac plus, I could still hook the hard drive up my newer macs and had backwards compatibility for years when DOS PCs and early windows stuff couldn't dream of such backwards compatibility, and I used to go on about it annoyingly to PC users! I still have all my floppies and the Macs to use them. I like to keep all my old stuff and just like to be self sufficient in a convenient not-always connected-to-the-internet-way. I still like to use CDs as well in a 'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' kind of a way. Sure I'll survive not having a convenient selection of disks that come with the machines I buy for future maintenance, but I'm just saying, I like it and its very handy.

edit :Just to address the point about clean installs, whilst I'm aware that you actually can do it, because people have had to try it out, Apple tells you just to install over nowadays and with internet downloads, that's just what people will start doing.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Not everyone is into technological advancement I see.

If you need an optical drive, just plug in an external. They are dirt cheap. I haven't used the optical drive on my MBP in a very long time. It's just takes up space.

I always do clean full installs of any major o/s update.
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Not everyone is into technological advancement I see.

If you need an optical drive, just plug in an external. They are dirt cheap. I haven't used the optical drive on my MBP in a very long time. It's just takes up space.

I always do clean full installs of any major o/s update.
yup! That's what I said - I've become old fashioned finally
19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Gear addict

19th February 2012
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
yup! That's what I said - I've become old fashioned finally
There's nothing wrong with that! I still mix on an analog console, and am running Snow Leopard on a 2008 Mac Pro....

Now if the new Mac Pros don't have PCIe slots...then I'll be pissed!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search