M-Audio ProFire 2626
New Reply
Subscribe
Avinosis
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear interested

M-Audio ProFire 2626

Does anyone have any experience with this piece of hardware i wanna how the quality is?
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

The build is pretty solid. The knobs are a little cheap. The preamps are ok...it seems that 50% of the gain is in the last 5% of the knob. The conversion is very good. I use mine for location recording...connected to a 003. I know some of my Nashville engineers would put them up against some high end stuff. in my opinion, the 2626 is a good deal for the money.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear Head

I use the 610. Same thing but with less inputs. The drivers have been very solid for me, a reliable unit that has allowed me to make lots of music, both midi and audio.

The pre's are ok, M-Audio hypes them up. No issues here
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Finnish
Great interface. Lot's of I/O, great stability and sounds great. What else do you need..?
WD Caviar Black 1 Tb,7200 rpm,64 Mt,SATA-600
Samsung Bluray-DVD
THERMALTAKE ToughPower Grand 650W
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
M-Audio ProFire2626
EMU 0404 USB
MPatch2, BCF2000
GAP pre-73 x2
GAP R1 tube active ribbon mic
REAPER all the way!

My "studio":

My band/recordings:
The Puikot
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Been using it here for quite some time. Good mic pres, they work well for drums and guitars. D/A is also something that you shouldn't be concerned about. Your mixes will not suck trusting them. I also have a Lynx Aurora16 using its Adat inputs. I feel this is a match made in heaven. Blacklion Audio does a mod for the unit. This takes things to another level. I plan on getting their 2ch red converters to go in spdif to clock my Aurora and the Profire together. This should be a pretty stellar digital setup!
https://www.facebook.com/hightolerance

It's the indian, not the arrow...
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinosis View Post
i wanna how the quality is?
I've been very satisfied with the 2626 for reasons already mentioned. Also, I record mostly vocals with the few mics I have and the 2626 (no other outboard gear). I have been very impressed with the quality, and not one client has complained. I've even had reputable mix and mastering engineers compliment work recorded all on the 2626.

So, based on my experience, if one knows how to capture the best possible recording, then the 2626 is a very good interface in terms of quality (and features). It's been stable and I really like the flexibility of the DSP mixer. Definitely a "lot of bang for the buck" piece for gear.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear addict

what about a USB2 equivalent? Fast Track Ultra 8R?
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

I gave my 2626 to a friend, because I had ongoing driver problems, including kernel panics (which means very serious system hanging problems on a Mac). I tried everything to solve the problems, but to no avail. Now the friend has the problems, but he manages them by meticulously following certain start-up and turn-off routines. When it works the sound is fine. Preamps are not interesting once you have outboard. I replaced my 2626 with an RME Fireface 800, because I needed rock solid driver functionality and that is what they provide.
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
Gear interested

I have been using mine for a few years. Never had any driver issues or kernel panics with my hackintosh or macbook pro. Very solid driver for me. I think the pre amps sound good.

But I did find myself getting frustrated with mixes as the track count got higher. When I read this on Black Lion Audio's website "the existing converter architecture makes it difficult to stack multiple tracks without the need to utilize corrective EQ" I agreed and figured I'd give the mod a shot. Just got it back and haven't had the chance to really try it out yet.

But for the price the pro fire 2626 is hard to beat.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I gave my 2626 to a friend, because I had ongoing driver problems, including kernel panics (which means very serious system hanging problems on a Mac). I tried everything to solve the problems, but to no avail. Now the friend has the problems, but he manages them by meticulously following certain start-up and turn-off routines. When it works the sound is fine. Preamps are not interesting once you have outboard. I replaced my 2626 with an RME Fireface 800, because I needed rock solid driver functionality and that is what they provide.
the way you turn everything on is(was) the fix for your problems. you gotta wait until the blue light on the profire stops flashing and stays solid. that means its good to go!

But to quickly add to the topic, I love mine. I have the 2626, and its been doing me well for about 3 years now. I have an Octopre MKII (dynamic) coming in the ADAT ports, sessions are 24 88.2, sound has been huge and this guy definitely doesn't make the job harder. clock is pretty nice, a/d d/a has been solid, its been a great front end for the home studio/mobile rig.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear addict

Been using mine for a couple of years, no problems. PC drivers are very stable, no issues syncing over firewire (unlike my previous Presonus Firepod interface).

13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Going strong here for years now with mine. I bought three of them for 24 channels but haven't even used but two of them. Think I might try to sell one of them for cheap. Also if you follow directions like you're suppose to you won't have problems.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
... Think I might try to sell one of them for cheap. Also if you follow directions like you're suppose to you won't have problems.
...how cheap?
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
...how cheap?
Haven't really thought about it. Maybe $375 or so. It's practically brand new. It's been hooked up in my rack for about a year or less and turned on once. I only ever use 16 channels at the most.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Head

I own one, they're great for the price, probably the most functionality out there for the money. I do agree that they seem to have the vast majority of their gain hiding up the top end of the pots at times but depends on your input source.

Only problem is if you're using a windows laptop - don't bother. I'm currently having massive issues due to investing in a windows laptop with firewire - and this is a custom designed audio laptop as well. If you're using a mac or a desktop unit then so long as you have TI firewire I'd say it's the best bang for your buck by miles.

EDIT: If you ARE on a windows laptop I'd save the headache and invest in something like the MOTU hybrid interfaces that work over USB as well as firewire.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I think it is a great interface for the money. The pres and conversion are totally useable, especially when clocked off a good converter or master clock. If you can afford a better DA for monitoring, it would be worth your while.

I also have mine at Black Lion right now getting modded. I am hoping it takes the DA to the level where I am comfortable mixing OTB more. The stock DA sounds pretty solid in the midrange, but clouds the subs and highs too much for my liking.
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Great solid units. Best bang for your money.

I have 2 2626 both BLA mods wonderful!! I sold my Ensemble after hearing this bad boy, before the mod.

Totally hi end conversion after the mod. (with a bla mkll word clock)
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Great solid units. Best bang for your money.

I have 2 2626 both BLA mods wonderful!! I sold my Ensemble after hearing this bad boy, before the mod.

Totally hi end conversion after the mod. (with a bla mkll word clock)
Hey there,

I've been looking for a way to get a little more expanded i/o in my studio, and I saw the post above mentioning the BLA mods. I didn't even know they did them for the 2626. I've had mine since it was released, and it's always been good to me. There were some early driver issues with external clocking, but that went away a long time ago.

DR Music, do you think that the modded 2626 is a good companion/expansion to my Apogee AD-16x / DA-16x setup? I currently use the 2626 as i/o 17-24... mostly outs to the Toft console for mixdown. I've been dreaming about getting another 8 channels of output, and when I stumbled on the BLA mod for them, it made me think I could get another 2626 and get both modded to have 32 i/o that's all really professional. Am I day dreaming, or would the modded M-audio hold a candle to the high-end Apogees. You mentioned that it was better than your ensemble, so I figure it's worth investigating.

It would save me a boatload.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdingley View Post
Hey there,

I've been looking for a way to get a little more expanded i/o in my studio, and I saw the post above mentioning the BLA mods. I didn't even know they did them for the 2626. I've had mine since it was released, and it's always been good to me. There were some early driver issues with external clocking, but that went away a long time ago.

DR Music, do you think that the modded 2626 is a good companion/expansion to my Apogee AD-16x / DA-16x setup? I currently use the 2626 as i/o 17-24... mostly outs to the Toft console for mixdown. I've been dreaming about getting another 8 channels of output, and when I stumbled on the BLA mod for them, it made me think I could get another 2626 and get both modded to have 32 i/o that's all really professional. Am I day dreaming, or would the modded M-audio hold a candle to the high-end Apogees. You mentioned that it was better than your ensemble, so I figure it's worth investigating.

It would save me a boatload.
Yes the Profire mods sounds that good!!! But you need the Micro word clock mkll aswell its 30-40% of the mod.
That problem is that the BLA Micro clock has only 3 outputs. :( they all must sync or use the same clock.
Later on this year they do have a 6 output improved Micro Mklll coming soon, can't wait..
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
But you need the Micro word clock mkll aswell its 30-40% of the mod.
interesting... my assumption would have just been to use my Apogee Symphony's AD-16x as the source for clock, and just set all 3 external devices to clock to that. Do you feel that the BLA clock is tighter than those of the high-end Apogee? note, the AD-16x and DA-16x have the identical clock output to that of their Big Ben clock... .which is tight.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdingley View Post
interesting... my assumption would have just been to use my Apogee Symphony's AD-16x as the source for clock, and just set all 3 external devices to clock to that. Do you feel that the BLA clock is tighter than those of the high-end Apogee? note, the AD-16x and DA-16x have the identical clock output to that of their Big Ben clock... .which is tight.
Yup better actually lots better than the big ben!! I owned a BB.
I would call Black Lion Audio!! They are very honest guys!!
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear addict

Generally a thumbs up here. Wish someone would create a Thunderbolt interface soon though.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear interested

There's a couple Thunderbolt options creeping out there: Apogee has a new thunderbolt-to-symphony adapter, and I think the UA-apollo might be thunderbolt capable. Right now there are a couple roundabout ways to get from thunderbolt to firewire.

I think the cleanest way I've seen so far is using two units from Sonnet Technology, a thunderbolt to ExpressCard34 adapter + an ExpressCard34 Firewire adapter card. Kinda dumb, but it would theoretically provide a seriously fast hookup for macbook air users and folks who wanted to use thunderbolt.
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Gear interested

i recently got a profire 2626 interface and everything is working, but for some reason the audio is being recorded very muffled. or more like there is no high end freq. being recorded. So when i add the missing highs to the audio it adds way to much hiss, and there is parts that need to be clean but the hiss is making it difficult. by the way i record mostly metal and punk and it doesn't really show up to much through distorted guitar but the drums are really starting to sound like crap. i had a ua25ex before and it never did this so i figure it has to be the profire.
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morgue View Post
i recently got a profire 2626 interface and everything is working, but for some reason the audio is being recorded very muffled. or more like there is no high end freq. being recorded. So when i add the missing highs to the audio it adds way to much hiss, and there is parts that need to be clean but the hiss is making it difficult. by the way i record mostly metal and punk and it doesn't really show up to much through distorted guitar but the drums are really starting to sound like crap. i had a ua25ex before and it never did this so i figure it has to be the profire.
Sounds like a FireWire cable, driver, or problem with internal electronics.:(
21st May 2012
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Head

I have a profire 610 for almost 4 years and never had any problem with it.Using it on a PC with Windows and Hackintoshed with Snow Leopard / Lion.

Recently i was working in a studio with a 2626 and it seems as stable as the 610. The pres are nice. A very good deal for the Money IMO.

PG
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to greyskull
Really like the unit, but it does;t play nice with other firewire devices, or ATI Graphics cards on the Mac
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Yes no daisy chaining!!!!
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear interested

Damn! I really hope its not the electronics.. I will try a different cable then try the drivers. Could it also be my comp? Its a pos computer and I had a lot of trouble instaling.the drivers. I had to install windows xp and then it was still not letting me install it so my buddy down loaded the drivers from maudio and then it installed fine.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear interested

And someone told me that he is 99% sure it is my dsp mixer. What do you think?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search