What's blocking your x64 DAW migration?
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

Waldorf Largo & Waldorf PPG3
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

What's stopping me is the thought of messing up my ultra stable system that does everything I need it to already.
I'm past the stage of needing to have the latest thing just because it's there.
My tools work fine as they are so I will keep using them rather than entering into another software compatabilty battle which would result in me spending time messing with my computer that could be better spent recording or engineering/producing.

If the day comes when I need a plugin to address 4 gig of RAM I might consider it but converting now would be a whole load of hassle for next to no gain.

I run Windows 7 64bit but my DAW and plugins are 32bit.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

no need for 64 here. All my projects are <3GB by a long way.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

rewire doesn't work with 64bit Logic.

i've only got 4GB RAM so i don't really need it right now.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Nothing.

Bought the new system a couple of weeks ago, put the 64 bit DAW in last week before I left, just got back home from visiting family for the holiday. Plan to start working exclusively in 64 bit tonight, probably DL Waves 64 bit next week.
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

Korg instruments
Sylenth1
Tone2 Gladiator/Electrax

Oz
Old 12th April 2012
Gear interested

UAD
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

The Korg stuff is a real bummer. I love the M1 and the Legacy. Probably going to have to buckle and use a bridge for those.

URS - just need the saturation plugin and 64-bit looks to be on the horizon for them.

Other then that, I'm good to go.
Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

I love my samplitude pro x 64 bit. You don't even notice when using a 32 bit plug in. Very seamless. Only casualties are ik sampletank and ik mellotron but they said they are looking into it. What's weird is my other ik stuff works fine with the 32 bit bridge. My UAD quad works great too!
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Head

I've gone 64 bit and thrilled that Waves have finally got with the program. Now if UAD would just make it happen all would be well in plugin world
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

uad, soundtoys and quicktime.
Old 18th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
Waves, UAD.
+1
Old 25th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Waves GTR3.

And sad I probably can't take Philharmonik and CSR with me. Ever. GForce M-Tron will probably be another 32bit casualty.

I'll also miss having the free Massey Tapehead AU.

That's about it.
SampleTank 3 and 64-bit CSR are both in development. CSR shouldn't be too far off now. SampleTank 3 will load all existing SampleTank libraries, so you will be able to use your Miroslav Philharmonik with it.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I don't see how anything would "block" the move to 64 bit, since you can use 32 bit plugs inside the 64-bit daw.

I made the move over a year ago and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
Old 25th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian @ IK View Post
SampleTank 3 and 64-bit CSR are both in development. CSR shouldn't be too far off now. SampleTank 3 will load all existing SampleTank libraries, so you will be able to use your Miroslav Philharmonik with it.
What bout mellotron?
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'm slowly migrating over to 64 bit. My new Dell computer came with Windows 7-64 bit. Everything I throw at it seems to work very well. Everything is stable as is. In the next couple of months I may upgrade my SonarX1 Essentials which is a 32 bit application to Sonar X1 Studio which can be run with 64 bit. The same for East West Symphonic Orchestra program which is 32 bit now, but a 64 bit Play engine is available. So I may upgrade that as well....it's just a matter of getting the money together to buy the 64 bit software.

My Ivory II and Audition CS 5.5 are still 32 bit applications, but work well with W7-64 bit. I don't think 64 bit versions are available yet.

I have 8 gigs of memory on the way...
Old 25th April 2012
Gear maniac

I dont need the extra memory in exchange for extra trouble and reinstalling everything, never change a running system.

If you need more memory, use superspeed ramdisk 11, assign a partition for it and use the pagefile on that partition, that way you can use like 16gb ram with a 32bit Windows 7/XP...windows then still thinks it uses only 4GB but when that limit is reached it swaps (for example some big vsl giga files) into the pagefile which is located in ram nice trick huh?
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear
I use win7 x64 for about 3 years. Cubase 6 x64 for about 5 months. Mostly i use cubase x64, but am forced to use 32bit because:

1) symphonic choirs word builder (kontakt/kompakt version) doesnt work in 64bit daws.
2) reason 32bit can't be rewired to 64bit host. And i cant afford latest reason the one that supports 64bit rewire.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Tascam FW-1884
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

UAD2, UAD2, UAD2...

Oh, and did I mention, UAD2?
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

I just said the heck with it and ugraded my software to 64 bit. I bought Sonar X1 Studio and East West's Symphonic Orchestra Gold upgrade to the 64 bit PLAY version. My 8 gigs of memory will be here Friday and the other stuff next week, so my computer is going to be smokin' !!!
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Nothing

Bought an SSD and upgraded to Cubase 6.5 and decided to try and go as 64bit as I could.

Cubases 32/64 bit VST Bridge has improved greatly, I didn't even have to use JBridge. Soundtoys mix bundle even seems to be more stable than it was under JBridge. CSR also works just fine.

Edit: Also -Miroslav Philharmonik CE is working fine and so are my Abbey Road, Flux & IRCam plugs.

2nd Edit: I just installed the latest soundcard drivers and have spent the last 4 hours trying to get ANY sound out - Karma for being so smug, I guess! If it ain't broke...
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Been 64-bit for nearly 3 years with no problems. Just use J-bridge with the very few vsti's that have not gone 64-bit yet. Korg stuff works great with J-bridge....not that it's even needed now since I use Cubase 6 64-bit. Tone2 stuff is 64-bit now. Sylenth works great with j-bridge. There has been NOTHING 32-bit I couldn't use in the last 3 years with my 64-bit DAW under J-bridge, and it makes me feel sorry for people when I see them so afraid to take the leap.

NO REASON NOT TO GO 64-bit these days! Just do it!!!!!!!
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

I've replaced all UAD plugins in my songs with native alternatives. I could not wait. Now I'm x64.
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

shame i don't have so much faith in the Logic bridge as some have in the J bridge.
Uad is a key source of confusion for me in 64 ...Ableton and Rewire also.
Logic with ableton as a rewire slave is a nice place to be.
Soundtoys......abbey road....G force...KUSH..IZOTOPE....
Also Sylenth and the korg stuff.
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Wup.
Old 28th April 2012
Gear Head

UAD, Soundtoys!
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
What are your last blockers?
What are your workarounds?
Overpriced 64 bit versions of a couple plugs

TH
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

ableton and soundtoys, everything else I could honestly live without at this point
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search