Studio One 2... Is anyone using it?
New Reply
Subscribe
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I've actually disabled AU support as I find it stabilizes S1 for me. When I freely mix AU and VST in a session, I get frequent crashes when closing a song session. With AU disabled it I still see crashes, but they become pretty rare.

Ive done that as well and its more stable just using VST on OSX.
The same applies to REAPER as well, its more stable if you only use VST plugins
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I hear you. I don't have an OSX install but let me ask, are your plugs AU only? I mean, if not, use the VST versions until they fix it, unless there are no VST versions.

I'm not excusing the AU bug at all, they do need to fix that (asap), but if you're looking into possibly using S1 you'd probably be much better off using VST 3 over AU anyway, given the additional flexibility there. Assuming (of course) your plugs actually have VST3 versions.
As i've been using exclusively Logic for the past 12 years or so , i've had the habit of almost never installing the VST or RTAS versions of my plugins, only the AU. So i'll have to spend a day or two reinstalling their latest VST equivalent updates ( i've just spent 3 days installing the 110 GB NI Komplete 8 update. 13 DVD's , and i unchecked the VST versions during install as usual Hopefully it will allow me to reinstall only the VSTs without redoing the whole install all over again). Anyway , a bit of a hassle, but i can do it.

The bugs also affects S1's own internal plugins, wich means i can't use them either. I played with a few of them, they sound nice but nothing that i would prefer over my AU/VST native and UAD ones, so perhaps it's not such big deal . But still, it sucks...

Anyway, i'll wait for their answer before deciding.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Logic seems to be a really great product. I owned it for a very short while - when I first started contemplating replacing Cubase, but my reluctance to dive into OSX at the desktop level (I do own a MacBook) played into my final decision not to use it. Not really anything that was wrong with it.

At $150 I can only suppose it's selling like hotcakes now.

I just wasn't willing to go hackintosh or to buy a desktop mac. I use a PCI card in the studio so the iMac wouldn't have worked for me.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I don't understand why they list it as fixed with V 2.0.5 , the bug is still there, i've just tried it again today and all AU plugins go back to Default when restoring "Transform event".
This works fine for me btw. Maybe it is dependent on the plugin?
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
This works fine for me btw. Maybe it is dependent on the plugin?
I've tried at least 10 different plugins , from different manufacturers ( UAD , NI , Audio Damage , Arturia , Korg Legacy ,Soundtoys and others ) , all get back to default once restored from "Transform to audio "

And all the Presonus built-in fx and synths i tried ( 3 or 4 ) , same thing.

Weird that we get different results ... What's your configuration ? i'm on a four year old MacBook Pro , OSX 10.6.8 , 4 Gig Ram
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the bug you're having? I chose a preset and tweak it on an AU synth, transformed to audio, transformed back to instrument, and the synth was still on the correct preset with my tweaks.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post

Having said that, it brings me to ask: how does Presonus respond if you issue a support ticket? Do they get back you at all?
This is the only deal-bender so far for me. I am on the fence about a Steinberg upgrade or a fresh Studio One professional install. Been working with the demo for a week and the work flow in Studio One is great. Sound engine is really nice and it is perfect with the Fader Port. Customer support however has been beyond challenging.

Right now in their current state anyway, Presonus does not answer phones for Studio One that I know of (have had multiple up to 1+ hour waits 'in que' without an answer. Day after day.) Response to support tickets has been largely ignored according to many on the forum. There are several unhappy posts about this. And their presence on their forums is minimal right now with selective responses. Too many questions going unanswered beyond what can be handled by the users. I did get help on the forum for a couple of key issues from users which is a blessing. It appears they are too far behind on tech support right now to be of any genuine service in real-time for new customers.

I hope this will change as I would like to make a decision soon. Have had Studio One Professional in my cart for a week waiting for a reply. Today I added Cubase upgrade into my cart also. One of these will be here soon.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've tried at least 10 different plugins , from different manufacturers ( UAD , NI , Audio Damage , Arturia , Korg Legacy ,Soundtoys and others ) , all get back to default once restored from "Transform to audio "

And all the Presonus built-in fx and synths i tried ( 3 or 4 ) , same thing.

Weird that we get different results ... What's your configuration ? i'm on a four year old MacBook Pro , OSX 10.6.8 , 4 Gig Ram
I hesitate to ask this, as I'm sure you've already checked, but are you sure it's not just the name that says "default"? The the actual settings of the plug have changed?

I know, almost certainly a dumb question, just asking to be sure because reading the thread it seems that the naming is (I think) part of it, that it still maybe doesn't recall the preset name itself, even if the settings come back.

Don't slap me, just askng,

You should grab Licecap and capture it happening and post a small animated gif, for them, to see the before and after settings of the plug UI.

You saying that even the Presonus plugs do that is what drove me to ask this question, whether it's just the name "Default" being there that's confusing you. The result of the render and restore below doesn't return settings that are the default preset, even though it says "default" in the box.

Here's what I mean below. If you watch the plug settings before and after, the settings actually come back even though the name in the preset list says "Default", but the actual settings come back just as they were before rendering. Just to make sure that's not what you're seeing, that your plugin settings themselves are actually getting reset to the default preset settings, and not just that the name "Default" being there is throwing you off.

So load a plug, turn all the knobs on it to the left, render it and then bring it back. If all the knobs aren't still turned left (no matter what the name up there in the list box says)... yeah, bug.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
This is the only deal-bender so far for me. I am on the fence about a Steinberg upgrade or a fresh Studio One professional install. Been working with the demo for a week and the work flow in Studio One is great. Sound engine is really nice and it is perfect with the Fader Port. Customer support however has been beyond challenging.

Right now in their current state anyway, Presonus does not answer phones for Studio One that I know of (have had multiple up to 1+ hour waits 'in que' without an answer. Day after day.) Response to support tickets has been largely ignored according to many on the forum. There are several unhappy posts about this. And their presence on their forums is minimal right now with selective responses. Too many questions going unanswered beyond what can be handled by the users. I did get help on the forum for a couple of key issues from users which is a blessing. It appears they are too far behind on tech support right now to be of any genuine service in real-time for new customers.

I hope this will change as I would like to make a decision soon. Have had Studio One Professional in my cart for a week waiting for a reply. Today I added Cubase upgrade into my cart also. One of these will be here soon.
This isn't good IMO. It's one of the main reasons I'm looking to switch DAWs. There are a few very annoying issues in my current DAW, known bugs. I have to work around them in every mix. They just came up as of the last service release, so they fixed something that broke another.

Either way, nobody has come out and said "Hey community, we know of this issue and are looking into it." I know, many people say that it's not a "given" to have companies do this, but if you want my money for 5+ versions, then I want some support when I need it... which I rarely do because I work through most issues (crashing stated in my last post).

So after that rant (sorry!), I am looking for a DAW that has a community where the devs will post often and address things, even if only to say "thanks, but you gotta wait to get that fixed."

23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Presonus staff does post on the Presonus forums, more so than Avid or of course, Apple. Not sure about Cubase or Reaper. They've also explicitly said very recently that they are making an effort to hire more support staff due to the large growth in S1's user base.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
They've also explicitly said very recently that they are making an effort to hire more support staff due to the large growth in S1's user base.
I read this also. Most of that post (from the manager in Baton Rouge) is not in place yet. As of now there is no 'within 24 hours' return call, nor is there even an option to go to voice mail when waiting in the 'que' for Studio One support.

Honestly I do understand about growth in a business and I genuinely empathize with Presonus. They have a great new product but just are not equipped to handle the fundamental customer care needs. Unfortunately I know what it is like for me in real-time with hours passing on hold and no reply. The frustration naturally leads me back to Cubase.

I suspect they will straighten this out over the next several months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooman
Either way, nobody has come out and said "Hey community, we know of this issue and are looking into it."
I agree. In this day and age where connection to your base community is so quick, painless and instant, I too want to hear from the company. All in all Presonus is a good company, just working out new glitches. Transitions are always challenging. Still I honestly believe they could be more organized and prepared for customer care during this transition. It has been over a year since S1 was released. Perhaps they need a fresh paradigm in the tech department?
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hesitate to ask this, as I'm sure you've already checked, but are you sure it's not just the name that says "default"? The the actual settings of the plug have changed?
You are correct , the settings do not change , but the name of the preset goes back to Default, both for AU and Presonus built-in plugins. Still, that makes it impossible to try another preset of the plugin once restored and go back to the one selected before as you have no way to know what it was called unless you write down the preset name somewhere, before rendering ( and you would still have to look for the name manually in a list of thousands of presets, in the case of some plugins )
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are correct , the settings do not change , but the name of the preset goes back to Default, both for AU and Presonus built-in plugins. Still, that makes it impossible to try another preset of the plugin once restored and go back to the one selected before as you have no way to know what it was called unless you write down the preset name somewhere, before rendering ( and you would still have to look for the name manually in a list of thousands of presets, in the case of some plugins )
If you happen to like the preset just save it as your own and give it a more descriptive name that reflects your particular usage. I tend to do this anyway.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
If you happen to like the preset just save it as your own and give it a more descriptive name that reflects your particular usage. I tend to do this anyway.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App
yeah, but even if i save it under a new name, once rendered again , it will go back to Default if i decide to restore the rendered audio !
I could maybe create a special User folder inside the plugin ( and each time i use a plugin ) and save them there to make it easier to find them again , but i'd really rather have Presonus fix the damn bug instead of me having to do all these convoluted manoeuvers around it... I mean, the reason i'm considering switching from Logic is to have my work simplified, not adding additional headaches.

Hopefully they will answer my support ticket in not too long...
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Sorry if off topic, but the daw is only $39?
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
This isn't good IMO. It's one of the main reasons I'm looking to switch DAWs. There are a few very annoying issues in my current DAW, known bugs. I have to work around them in every mix. They just came up as of the last service release, so they fixed something that broke another.

Either way, nobody has come out and said "Hey community, we know of this issue and are looking into it." I know, many people say that it's not a "given" to have companies do this, but if you want my money for 5+ versions, then I want some support when I need it... which I rarely do because I work through most issues (crashing stated in my last post).

So after that rant (sorry!), I am looking for a DAW that has a community where the devs will post often and address things, even if only to say "thanks, but you gotta wait to get that fixed."
Yep, regarding tech response times they have become the new MOTU ...

TH
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Presonus staff does post on the Presonus forums, more so than Avid or of course, Apple. Not sure about Cubase or Reaper. They've also explicitly said very recently that they are making an effort to hire more support staff due to the large growth in S1's user base.
The difference is you can get Avid on the phone.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik View Post
Sorry if off topic, but the daw is only $39?
Versions
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sonar also does this.
Never really been a showstopper to me personally, just lived with it cause I had to.

Agree tho, a bit annoying.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

If you want a definitive yes/no answer to the question of is this thing with the preset names being looked at, you're more likely to get it on the forum from the product manager or one of the developers than from the support desk. If you want to make sure they know about it, that would be the place. It seems they already know about it.

I hesitate to say this, but on the actual tech support forum board there (where only paid users can post), there are a heck of a lot of questions about things that are in the manual and or related to using daws in general, having very little to do with actual necessary tech support. If their actual physical tech support desk is also full of stuff like that - from paid users and also from potential buyers / demo users (the latter being a pre-sales question, not a support question, where available resources are usually directed towards current owners?) - I can imagine it's a bit of a general mess.

Not defending their support desk at all. From what I hear, they're rather slow. Just saying ... a bug report isn't really a support request... it's a bug report, and it probably should just be made on the forum.

The most logical process would seem to be... (imo, mmv)...

1. Ask on the forum and see if you can get an answer or a resolution. (or report the bug there)
2. If it can't be solved there and it's actually something that seems to fall into "tech support", put in a ticket.
3. If they can't solve it or you don't get an answer, and it's critical, email or PM the product manager.

Anyway, this thing seems to be more of a potential "oversight" than a bug. Nothing is actually "broken" there, just overlooked maybe. They just need to add something new there, they need to add the current name in the list to the stored data in that case, so it comes back with the plugin settings. Not really a bug imo, more an FR. A bug is (imo, mmv) something that is designed to do X but doesn't, something not working the way it was designed to.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hesitate to say this, but on the actual tech support forum board there (where only paid users can post),...
If only paid users can post on their support forums, then i can't post there, as i'm still running the demo version, and would like to get an answer from them before i decide to buy it or not.

Quote:
Anyway, this thing seems to be more of a potential "oversight" than a bug. Nothing is actually "broken" there, just overlooked maybe. They just need to add something new there, they need to add the current name in the list to the stored data in that case, so it comes back with the plugin settings. Not really a bug imo, more an FR. A bug is (imo, mmv) something that is designed to do X but doesn't, something not working the way it was designed to.
To me it's most certainly a bug. I don't know of any other DAW on the Mac that doesn't restore plugin names when you un-freeze the track, it's just not normal behavior ( Logic, Live, Cubase , all do it, probably DP too. I don't know if PT has a similar freeze function though )
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If only paid users can post on their support forums, then i can't post there, as i'm still running the demo version, and would like to get an answer from them before i decide to buy it or not.
They have a general forum, a feature request forum, a pre-sales forum, etc, you can make that inquiry in any one of those. The tech support forum there isn't official support anyway, it users helping users.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Head

I had my doubts about the "Presonus DAW" when I first heard about it. I actually attended a local home recording seminar at an pro audio store - only because they were giving away a few copies of S1 Pro. My plan was to win a copy and sell it so I could buy a Cubase 6 upgrade.

Well, after attending the second seminar, which was much more in depth, I was totally sold. To get the best bang for my buck I actually purchased a $200 audiobox 22VSL for mobile recording - which came with S1 Artist. There was 50% of promo (happens a lot) at the time and I only spent an additional $100 to upgrade to S1 Pro. $300, got me S1 Pro, and an awesome little mobile audio interface.

All that aside, S1 has seriously changed my life. I'm the biggest S1 fanboi. Can't recommend it enough.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Regarding transform, it restored the preset name for me. I was using Fabfilter Twin 2.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a vid that kinda demonstrates some of the power of the new macro function. It's rendering audio clips for detecting Kick / Snare transients by inserting clip FX in the macro and creating the midi drum tracks automatically.

Rendering audio in the middle of a macro step is pretty cool, imo, mmv.
If the vid doesn't embed... Drum Extraction Macro - YouTube

14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Gear Head

I used FL studio for maaany years. Wanted to switch DAW so I tried a lot of demos, cubase, logic, ableton etc.

I ended up with Studio one 2 together with Fxpansion Geist for drums, and I am loving it. The workflow is incredible and the beats I make now are also incredible.

Other DAWs (like logic) are gift cards you can buy (do) anything with them. But studio one is what I always wished for in a DAW. Respect for the creative flow.
14th June 2012
Old 14th June 2012
Lives for gear

Lawrence - we meet again!

Please dont get upset with me, but you seem to be on every forum going and on each and every one beating the drum mighty hard and pretty authoritatively for Presonus Studio One.

Do you have any connection with Presonus we should know about?
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear interested

What would you say are the benefits from switching from logic to studio one 2? I have both, but have not found major differences enough to make the complete switch.

The mastering section of studio one 2 seems great. But other than that is there anyone who does this full time that has switched from logic to studio one and why?
3rd October 2013
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear maniac

I really wanted to try it out, but it kept crashing and also just not loading data. So I gave up. Too bad. Back to Reaper & EnergyXT, etc.
4th October 2013
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

Just got S1 2.6 on the Windows side and I'm so relieved I don't have to learn Pro Tools. I don't do my own final mixes. Pro Tools doesn't make much sense as a tool for artists since it screams "I'm an engineering environment."

Now if you're setting up a commercial studio and will be editing all day long every day, then it makes sense to put the huge effort into learning PT.

But for me, I wanted a simple, stripped down yet flexible and powerful program, that's inviting and makes things easy for me and so far that's what I've got. I haven't seen any misbehavior yet though I'm just starting.

I'm liking it so far and expect it will take care of my needs. Too early to say much more other than initial impressions A-OK.

Best of all, I emailed technical support and got back an incredibly detailed and helpful response.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search