Best saxophone plugin?
New Reply
Subscribe
Xenochris
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear interested

Best saxophone plugin?

I'm looking for a good saxophone plugin. Nothing too expensive, free would be nice but anything around $100 is alright. I'm trying to find a late Coltrane/Pharoah Sanders-esque sound, real "skronky" and abrasive, something that could emulate overblowing too. I've tried the DVS sax vst and heard samples of Saxlab, both of which just sound too synthy and only somewhat work for soft sounds. Any suggestions?

Thanks
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Chris Hein Horns. He has a new one called Ms Sax that doesn't require Kontakt so you might check that out. The sounds and articulations are excellent.
Xenochris
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear interested

Ms Sax sounds great, I like the tenor one (Ms Sax T). It's kind of expensive (around $150) but I'll definitely consider it. Thanks!
Xenochris
23rd January 2012
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear interested

Is it possible to use Mr. Sax T through Reaper? I know you have to use Kontakt but is there any way to integrate it into Reaper after kontakt? This may be a dumb question and I know Ms Sax S doesn't require Kontakt but I just think the tenor just sounds more like what I'm looking for. Honestly I just don't know much about Kontakt.

Thanks
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenochris View Post
Is it possible to use Mr. Sax T through Reaper? I know you have to use Kontakt but is there any way to integrate it into Reaper after kontakt? This may be a dumb question and I know Ms Sax S doesn't require Kontakt but I just think the tenor just sounds more like what I'm looking for. Honestly I just don't know much about Kontakt.

Thanks
I don't use Reaper but I would be shocked if it didn't work. That said, you have to have the full version of Kontakt 4 or greater in order to use the other packages. Something to think about cause if you don't already have it Kontakt is going to set you back a few dollars.

Ken
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
Gear nut

VSL have a sax package. Sounded good from memory.
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Gear interested

I've used most sax VST's, but.... unfortunately, almost none compare favourably to a real sax. (Been playing sax for 37 years, by the way.) The problem is that a sax is one of the most expressive of instruments, and it's almost impossible to replicate using current technology.
You might want to use a sample library, but you'll be constrained by the key and tempo of the recording, of course.

Have a listen to me playing at Collaboration - Dave Francis + Janne Hanhisuanto by Davesax1965 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free - this would be almost impossible to get close to using VST instruments.
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Gear maniac

NN-XT + freeSF2 via ReWire go to VST-host
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Native Instruments Session Horns

dont use sf2 they sound like .. very bad.
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

tooting my own horn here (!!!) but if you're after a one-or-two off occasion, I could help you out...

(excuse the cheeky plug!)

***built by the brilliant Scattamah!!!***

...my stock-music page: http://www.istockphoto.com/nicksamuel

***and i'll record sax for your tracks
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
I don't use Reaper but I would be shocked if it didn't work. That said, you have to have the full version of Kontakt 4 or greater in order to use the other packages. Something to think about cause if you don't already have it Kontakt is going to set you back a few dollars.

Ken
Old post but blah.

Why you think so? Reaper support VST's and other plugins like other DAW's too. I have used free kontakt player (equipped with NI west africa) with Reaper, no worries!
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear maniac

I also recommend Chris Hein Horns. It has just been updated. Great samples, articulations, stability, etc. I also use CH Bass.

The Catch: The full CH horns collection is far out of your price range, $800. However, you can buy the compact version for $300.

You can get convincing performances with sample sets. However, I find that the more you use them, the less convincing they become. You start to hear the similarity of the limited sample set, even the most robust ones.

Price wise, it is way cheaper than getting session work.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duuso View Post
Old post but blah.

Why you think so? Reaper support VST's and other plugins like other DAW's too. I have used free kontakt player (equipped with NI west africa) with Reaper, no worries!
Can you please reread what I wrote and tell me how in the world you would ever think I said it would not work with Reaper? I said exactly the opposite with the caveat that I don't personally use Reaper.

If you already have Chris Hein Horn's the upgrade pricing just announced in emails to registered users is very reasonable.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear addict

VSL (specifically the Tenor sax) is my favorite sounding sax library.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Swimming with nanoprobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-the-sax View Post
tooting my own horn here (!!!) but if you're after a one-or-two off occasion, I could help you out...

(excuse the cheeky plug!)
Nick's absolutely great to work with, and he will dish out some mean saxomophonic madness. I'd go for it.

EDIT: Just realized the OP was made in January. Hope you found what you were looking for.

Happy studio -> Borglab website and Borglab on Twitter.
Angry band -> Limited edition 10" EP out now!! (Also on iTunes, Spotify and those kinda joints. But it just won't smell like vinyl.)

"Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons." -- Spock

Last edited by borg64; 15th November 2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: A do'h moment.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

e, you're too kind Mr Borg! appreciated
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Gear nut

Thank you search function. I've been bumbling around whinging and moaning about not being able to find good Sax one shots to sample for a Liquid DnB track my brother and I are working on. Thanks everyone! Here's your imaginary pint
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Nothing comes close to Samplemodeling. Takes a while to learn how to use an expression pedal to simulate breath, but once you get the hangs of it, your only competition is a real sax player.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012

Send a message via MSN to Rev. Eslam Send a message via Yahoo to Rev. Eslam
I just heard some SampleModeling demonstration tracks and they definitely sounded more realistic than SaxLab.
I got excellent results using Yellow Tools Candy but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Windows 7 64-bit update of that product so I need to find an alternative.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
Nothing comes close to Samplemodeling. Takes a while to learn how to use an expression pedal to simulate breath, but once you get the hangs of it, your only competition is a real sax player.
+1, (have tried it next to sax lab - sax lab isn't worth the investment - just like a dedicated synth patch) ... whereas sample modeling wont even let you attempt to use its models without assigning appropriate controllers - very realistic for ITB stuff.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear interested

Hi folks, great thread but alas, a waste of time discussing what VST's sound like a sax. The answer is "none do". If you want a VST which sounds like a VST, fine. If you actually want a sax sound, then .... get a sax player.

It really is that simple.

One problem non sax players have is that they listen to some kind of VST brass instrument and convince themselves it sounds like a saxophone. Believe you me, it doesn't. At the mo, the technology available will not cope with brass or woodwind instruments, and I'm not sure it will for years.

Even modern wind synths don't have the same range of expression as their physical counterparts, and I've played wind synths since they came on the market in the very early 90's. Sometimes, there's just no substitute. If you're happy with a VST sound, then fine. If what you're looking for is a real sax sound, you need a real sax.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Samplemodeling is the closest you can get to the real thing. Its cool for mockups and arranging and works great when combined with some real instruments in a section.
www.soundclick.com/cosmicpassenger
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear nut

If you're lazy, and don't wanna play sax lines,
but want it real as it gets!?
Liquid Instruments Saxophone!
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013

There is no substitute for ANY live instrument. Piano VSTis don't sound right to piano players. Programmed drums certainly sound rubbish to me (all of them, without exception). Yet still - music is recorded with such things. Hits are made and overall people are happy.

The scope of the original request was: What is the best sax plugin? That's it. Not " lets have a debate about which is more sax like". It's obvious - the real sax is more sax like. End of.

Same for all of these discussions. So - NO MORE telling the OP that there is no substitute - we all know that. That is not his question.

SampleModelling is the best one I've used. Highly recommended.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Chris Hein has just updated all of his horn packages with the main feature being seamless transitions between different articulations. I had his previous versions and have upgraded and can definitely say it is worth it. That is one of the things that makes VST's not sound nearly as good because with many of them you can really sense the transitions between the different sample sets. I don't know how Chris managed to pull it off but his stuff is really smooth.

I would also add that Chris' support of his products is among the best of any vendor I have dealt with and I have dealt with a lot of them.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Gear interested

Saophone is an instrument that is related with the devil himself and it's not ment to be used at all so why use a plugin Take a nice fender telecaster and a Fender twin amp and you'll be as happy as never before
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013

Send a message via MSN to Rev. Eslam Send a message via Yahoo to Rev. Eslam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten-Eriksson View Post
Saophone is an instrument that is related with the devil himself and it's not ment to be used at all so why use a plugin Take a nice fender telecaster and a Fender twin amp and you'll be as happy as never before
The only problem with that is that a Fender is a GUITAR and the thread starter requires a SAXOPHONE (or as you put it, a "saophone")

Incidentally, it seems I was wrong. There is indeed a Windows 7 64-bit update for Yellow Tools Candy Saxophone. I just downloaded it but it was a hassel to do so.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search