digital piano that I can also use as MIDI controller
Doublethumb
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
Gear nut

digital piano that I can also use as MIDI controller

Hi there,
not sure whether this is the best sub-forum where to ask this, but I am looking for a good digital piano (or anything that sounds as close to a real piano as possible) that I can also use as a MIDI controller with Logic. What would you recommend? I have used a Studiologic SL-880 so far with Audio Units, but I really miss the sound of a real piano as I grew up playing one.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Roland RD-700NX
Doublethumb
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear nut

Thanks! That does look amazing I have to say, but I am not sure it is within my budget :-( Anything below £1000 would be more affordable. SUggestions very welcome!

Happy New Year everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Roland RD-700NX
Deleted User #106149
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Deleted User #106149

Hmm I asked something similar couple nights ago, I was initially going to get a novation sl mk 2 controller until I heard how bad action is in general on all of these dedicated MIDI controllers.

My priority is decent action over controller parameters.

After some research Im on the verge of buying the Casio px 330. It's 500 pounds on amazon ($700 maybe) just for the piano, or 800 with the stand/pedals aswell.

As I say I don't actually own it yet, just going by what I read here and in sound on sound.

Check reviews out on here and the YouTube videos, internal sounds are nice too.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com
Doublethumb
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear nut

Thanks, I'll check it out! For me it has to be good enough to record piano solos for film music or library music. My music is quite electronic7ambient in nature, so I do need a midi controller to use audio units in Logic. But I was born as a piano player and recently got back into the classical side of it a little bit. Even the Grand used with my semi-weighted Studio Logic SL-880 isn't good enough :-(
anyway I had it for 7 years and a couple of keys are totally gone, so it's really time to get a new keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb123 View Post
Hmm I asked something similar couple nights ago, I was initially going to get a novation sl mk 2 controller until I heard how bad action is in general on all of these dedicated MIDI controllers.

My priority is decent action over controller parameters.

After some research Im on the verge of buying the Casio px 330. It's 500 pounds on amazon ($700 maybe) just for the piano, or 800 with the stand/pedals aswell.

As I say I don't actually own it yet, just going by what I read here and in sound on sound.

Check reviews out on here and the YouTube videos, internal sounds are nice too.

Deleted User #106149
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Deleted User #106149

Exactly same situation here, purchasing to create film/ambient music. More of a pianist than synth performer so prefer good action above all else, but do also make modern music and make use of many synths so some control would be handy although not essential. I don't mind tweaking within the daw personally.

Heard good stuff about the casios action so should be good enough for piano solo, the internal sounds are a bonus but not really fussed as will be using kontakt libraries.

Let us know if you decided to get it, I'm purchasing mine in next day or so so.will leave my opinions on gs.

28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Gear maniac

A couple of months ago I got myself a Casio Privia PX700. It was used, there is a slightly newer model in its place now - PX730.

It is absolutely fantastic in sound as well as touch/feel - very realistic. I plan to record some songs and will be using this as my main keyboard from now on. I have not tried it as a MIDI controller as yet, at the moment I will be recording piano parts as audio from it, but as soon as I remember to pick up a USB - MIDI cable I will be giving it a shot and see no reason why it wouldn't replace my Beringher controller.

*I have an Axiom-25 which I will carry on using for controls.

As I said on another similar thread just now, I would have no hesitation using this on stage were I to find myself in a band next year.
Doublethumb
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Gear nut

Wow. It looks like Casios are the ones to go for then... I heard very good things about the Soundiron Emotional Piano for soundtrack music. I thought maybe I could buy a very MIDI controller and get 2-3 very good plugins for piano...I would have the advantage of having MIDI instead of dealing with audio. What do you reckon? Is there a way to reproduce the sustain pedal though? I really use it a lot in solos, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post
A couple of months ago I got myself a Casio Privia PX700. It was used, there is a slightly newer model in its place now - PX730.

It is absolutely fantastic in sound as well as touch/feel - very realistic. I plan to record some songs and will be using this as my main keyboard from now on. I have not tried it as a MIDI controller as yet, at the moment I will be recording piano parts as audio from it, but as soon as I remember to pick up a USB - MIDI cable I will be giving it a shot and see no reason why it wouldn't replace my Beringher controller.

*I have an Axiom-25 which I will carry on using for controls.

As I said on another similar thread just now, I would have no hesitation using this on stage were I to find myself in a band next year.
29th December 2011
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear

Privia has a great feel.
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublethumb View Post
Wow. It looks like Casios are the ones to go for then... I heard very good things about the Soundiron Emotional Piano for soundtrack music. I thought maybe I could buy a very MIDI controller and get 2-3 very good plugins for piano...I would have the advantage of having MIDI instead of dealing with audio. What do you reckon? Is there a way to reproduce the sustain pedal though? I really use it a lot in solos, of course.
I have previously using a couple of MIDI controllers, one a 25key Axiom which I like for the knobs and drum pads and will carry on using this. The other was a full size Beringher which did the job okay, and allowed me to play my piano/ keys sounds and plugins decently.

But it was getting frustrating as more of my songwriting inspiration moved from the guitar to the keyboard, every time I wanted to mess with an idea I had to set everything up, which in my case, without a studio already set-up was a pain in the arse.

So I bought the Casio Privia because I wanted something with a nice piano sound I could just have there, at the flick of a switch, in my lounge, so I could play whenever I wanted. I was nicely surprised at how good it actually sounded, and how much it felt like a piano. It was only when I found out it had MIDI that I began to think I could actually use it for recording too.

The sound from it is better than any of the plugins I have, and yesterday I recorded some piano parts straight out of the headphone jacks into my DAW and it sounds great. I have no doubt it will make an excellent MIDI controller too.

I think it is the best of both worlds.

The downside?

Well no buttons, sliders or pads. You might still need something else too, hence why I am keeping the Aziom-25.

It is fairly bulky, so you cannot throw it on the back seat of a car easily to go to a gig. But on the other hand, it does come off the stand, and you can do it with some effort. I think it might actually work well on stage as both a piano and a MIDI controller.

I don't see why the pedals cannot be use with MIDI - someone else would need to answer this as I am not really too hot on MIDI (i should be, but I am not) But I am sure the pedals have a channel assignment.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Head

Yamaha's digital pianos have the best keyboard action. The problem of the digital piano is they do not have a pitch bender.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiO View Post
Yamaha's Digital pianos have the best keyboard action. The problem of the digital piano is they do not have pitch bender.
+1. If you are even remotely considering a Casio you should sit down at a place that has both and play the Yamaha. No contest - the yammys are much better. I've played both and I'm primarily a piano player. There is no pitch bend, but I really don't like to play synths on a weighted keyboard and have a smaller MIDI controller that sits on the top of the yammy for that.

Chuck
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduffy View Post
+1. If you are even remotely considering a Casio you should sit down at a place that has both and play the Yamaha. No contest - the yammys are much better. I've played both and I'm primarily a piano player. There is no pitch bend, but I really don't like to play synths on a weighted keyboard and have a smaller MIDI controller that sits on the top of the yammy for that.

Chuck
PPS - All the pedals send midi information and both the Casio and the Yammy will function perfectly as contollers. If you think the piano sounds are good on either, you owe it to yourself to play it with a good piano library VST or sampler. Again there is simply no contest between the onboard sounds on either the Yammy or the Casio and a decent piano library.
Deleted User #106149
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Deleted User #106149

Ok still not purchased.. Anyone know what's different between the 330 and 730? They look identical and are the same price on amazon. Which one to get?

Are these models the best for 500 pound price point?

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search