G3 died What Now??
New Reply
Subscribe
Blackwater
24th April 2006
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

G3 died What Now??

I knew it would happen one day and of course it did.
Time for a new computer and I guess time to find a new way to get my digital audio from my Sony DMX-R100 into that new computer. So-- new laptop or a desktop? leaning toward the desktop but don't know how I'm going to interface. I only need to get my 2 buss digital mixes in and out digital for mastering. What product/s will do the trick. I understand that pci slots are now pciXpress slots. I don't know what this means. Any help would be apreciated.
Remember I'm going from a G3 w/ an audiomedia3 card in it that hasn't been made in like 6 years.

Thanks,

Chris

"That Kick drum is so subliminal, It's Animal!"
24th April 2006
Old 24th April 2006

the RME cards are pretty good. As for a new mac, wait a little bit for the G6 with PCI express or get a smaller G5 with a PCI card.
That will do for two track.
PCI and PCI express are different. There is also PCI-x. PCI express is not really necessary, but is current technology. PCI express is not backwards compatible.

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

Blackwater
24th April 2006
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks,

I'll check out the RME cards. Will I be able to use Pro Tools with that card or no?
Maybe it's time to switch to a new program anyway if not. I'm only using the puter for 2 track mastering and then out to outboard compressors and back again.

Thanks,

Chris
24th April 2006
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

You've been using the AMIII converters to go in and out to hardware? Yikes! Anything will be a step up from that. RME stuff is good, but you'd still need a Pro Tools interface if you're going to use Pro Tools. Otherwise, there are lots of other great software platforms you can use for mastering, like Sequoia, Wavelab, Nuendo, etc.

The four most expensive words in the English language are: "This time it's different."
--John Marks Templeton
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006

to add to the confusion:
sonic studio? I remember every mastering studio here had that a few years ago.
(I don't keep track that much)
http://www.sonicstudio.com/products/ddp/ddp01.html

BUT
GML and Weiss EQ and processing NATIVE this year! (still vapour)
and some cats here like Sonalksis stuff too..
for you that could be interesting? You'll just need a software that does AU plugins.
and the new macs do windhoze too now (if you didn't know this it might come as a shock ) coming in from OS 9 (= guess) you'll LOVE Tiger.
Leopard coming soon!

Soundforge also used to be cool, now it is sony. (?)
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...ct.asp?PID=961

I tried Bias Peak, but hated it. there is a new version though, maybe worth checking out. I'm back to 3 year old TC Spark again, to my ears it just sounds the best, for the money. Logic is also nice, but that is another ballgame. Waveburner (included with logic works fine again now, for the redbook stuff etc.)
Hope I could help.
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006

25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006

for the money a minimac is unbeatable. you'll need a firewire to aes ebu or spdif thingy, because no PCI PCIx PCIexpress

AND
you get a REMOTE
Blackwater
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Lives for gear

To clarify:

I have not been using my converters on my AudiomediaIII card. I have a Sony DMX-R100 which I use with various different outboard pre's and compressors. From there to an MX-2424 and back to the Sony board for mix with outboard comp's and the HEDD 192. At mix I go digital into Pro Tools.

So... I guess I should have been more clear. I need a way to go directly into a new computer (No conversion). So that's the product I need. I would rather not spend more money with Digi if possible but still use the Waves Bundle. Once the mix is done I'd like to be able to go back out again (digital) to the HEDD and from there to various comp's and back into the puter for my final master.

Sorry I was unclear. Maybe we can start over??

Chris
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Lives for gear

If you still want to use that AMIII card, you cant go higher than a G4, as the AMIII card will not fit into a G5.

If yes, get the fastest G4 you can, G4 MDD 1.42ghzX2 if needed. Check ebay.

sdf
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Lives for gear

I agree, just get a G4 from ebay. The studio I work at just got an 800Mhz Quicksilver G4 for $500 shipped. Can't beat that.
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley
If you still want to use that AMIII card, you cant go higher than a G4, as the AMIII card will not fit into a G5.

If yes, get the fastest G4 you can, G4 MDD 1.42ghzX2 if needed. Check ebay.

sdf
I still use that machine for mixing (lot of hardware, few plugins). Completely satisfactory, apart from some firewire issues, it has a giga ethernet port, so it won't be going anywhere soon :-) It cannot run OS 9 or before! You can hack the machine but it is a lot of trouble. For OS 9 you'll need another G4. (1.2 DP or a SP)

I used an RME hammerfall card in that 1.4 DP G4 system, before going firewire, and the performance is rock solid.
I fear you have to scrap the Audiomedia card, there are compatibillity issues.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/tb/
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/tb/
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Gear Guru

My 300 MHz beige G3 minitower is still running strong, although, I have had a few boot conflicts between the SCSI HD and my newer 120GB Hitachi/IBM HD without adding a HD controller card.
My A/V personality card has a broken RCA jack, but otherwise no problems.

I just didn't see any point to spending any more money on upgrades to a pre-AGP tower and the performance was so far behind, that it was time to move on.

I've spent quite a bit of money on my new 2.0 DP G5 system and I'm still learning the ropes, but the performance is remarkable.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd go for a Quad/Apogee/Logic or Nuendo configuration, but you''ll have to figure out just how much you want to upgrade your ProTools system.

A lot depends on what you plan to do for a meaningful upgrade.
Blackwater
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies. I think I have figured out that I'm scrapping AMIII and going for a G5.

I guess I'm not tied to Digi in any way other than using Pro Tools to mix to with my finished 2 track mix.

I can do that with another program though right?

So Lets say I get a G5.

How am I going to go AES/EBU in and out of G5 from the Sony board?

What will I use instead of Masterlist now that I wont have OS9 anymore?

What about all my SCSI gear?

What about my SCSI drive bays?

Chris
25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006

25th April 2006
Old 25th April 2006
Gear maniac

if you still plan on using PTLE, then you can do the M-powered PTLE and use an M-audio interface/card. i'm HD so i don't know much about it, but it's there.

and SCSI? plan on a) selling it or b) buying an old computer just so you can keep using it.
Blackwater
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Hi,

I have to be able to pull scsi drives out of the MX 2424 and pop them into scsi drive bays attached to the new computer for back up to DVD-R at the end of every session. Also, I get many people who walk in with drives from other studios so it is a must. There must be a scsi card for new G5's No??

I don't mind switching away from Digi. I just need to find a card that will accept AES/EBU or spdif and that will fit in the new G5. I also need to know which software it will support that I can mix to.

Thanks,

Chris
Blackwater
26th April 2006
Old 26th April 2006
Lives for gear

Reptil,

Yea- I have this card but I don't think it will fit in a new G5 will it?

Chris
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search