ableton vs logic
New Reply
Subscribe
lyons238
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

ableton vs logic

i have reason 6 but I'm looking to spend $200 on another daw to expand my capabilities. i love reason but sometimes i find it very tedious to do certain things, where in ableton it seems like a synch. iv never used logic but i hear its nice. one downside i seem to have heard though is logics workflow isn't quite as snazzy as abletons.

but does ableton (non suite edition) have enough good stock plugs? will i be forced to buy plugins in order to take advantage of ableton or what? thats really pretty much the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on ableton.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear maniac

Logic! It is the best sounding and easiest DAW.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear maniac

Oh! I forgot to say that it is the most complete DAW out there, it tas so many plugs it is enough.
lyons238
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

^ lol any other takers in the house? for one there is no "best sounding daw" and for two i definitely wouldn't say its the easiest daw. both of the points you brought up are subjective.

and lastly I'm asking more about how abletons stock plugs will be (non suite version)

thanks for trying though
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear maniac

I started with reason 2, got live 5 and now exclusively use logic having started using it at version 7. For me its the most complete daw but it does have a learning curve. 9 is much easier to use than 7 though. I find screen sets, the mixer and the stock plugins indispensable.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com App
lyons238
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibof View Post
I started with reason 2, got live 5 and now exclusively use logic having started using it at version 7. For me its the most complete daw but it does have a learning curve. 9 is much easier to use than 7 though. I find screen sets, the mixer and the stock plugins indispensable.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com App
alrighty, any comment on abeltons stock plugs? will i need to go out and buy a bunch of plugs? i don't really want to have to do that. I'm used to reason and not having to buy plugs.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

logic - the easiest to use ... hahaha ... not many might share that opinion

logic : 64 bit, lots of contents and fx ( of varying quality), traditional Midi editing approach, audio editing is out-dated ( compared to Digital Performer, Cubase and Pro Tools), powerful, but relatively complex mixer routings

live : phrase-based approach, to me audio editing is also not optimal, VST and AU plugin support, clean and easy interface, limited mixer routing facilities, no surround, limited Midi editing ( only one midi editor type - no score or list editor), integrates better with other software ( rewire slave and master)
live suite has also lots of plugins and with 'max for live' powerful options.

it depends on your way of working and maybe style of music, i would rate logic the best deal and great for mixer routings, whereas Live with all the options to be the more flexible, adaptable and powerful tool. it is limited in some ways though - especially mixer routing. also Live might integrate more flexibly with Reason as it can be rewire master and slave.

hope that helps
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

live stock plugins ... i think it is the same as for logic - the special tools are good as they are special and the bread and butter stuff ( eqs, compressors, etc.) is acceptable, but not stellar. synth wise I think Live Suite has some great tools (Operator, Sampler, Drum Racks, e-piano), as has Logic (Sculpture, UltraBeat, evb3, exs24 as efficient sample playback)

hope that helps
lyons238
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
logic - the easiest to use ... hahaha ... not many might share that opinion

logic : 64 bit, lots of contents and fx ( of varying quality), traditional Midi editing approach, audio editing is out-dated ( compared to Digital Performer, Cubase and Pro Tools), powerful, but relatively complex mixer routings

live : phrase-based approach, to me audio editing is also not optimal, VST and AU plugin support, clean and easy interface, limited mixer routing facilities, no surround, limited Midi editing ( only one midi editor type - no score or list editor), integrates better with other software ( rewire slave and master)
live suite has also lots of plugins and with 'max for live' powerful options.

it depends on your way of working and maybe style of music, i would rate logic the best deal and great for mixer routings, whereas Live with all the options to be the more flexible, adaptable and powerful tool. it is limited in some ways though - especially mixer routing. also Live might integrate more flexibly with Reason as it can be rewire master and slave.

hope that helps
i believe abletons audio editing will blow reasons out of the water. so do you think its worth it to buy ableton (non suite edition)?

btw i produce mainly dubstep.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I'd go with Ableton, but that's just because ATM I'm using R6 and Live8 suite together, and havent used logic in years.

Personally I think the audio editor in reason is pretty good for what it does, but Ableton is more flexible imo.

Stock plugs - are we talking effects or instruments?

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Progs - Reason 7, Live 8
Synths - Minibrute, MoKeys, Prophet 08
Drums - Korg EMX1, MaM ADX1
Guitars - LTD EC100, Hohner L75 Pro, Yamaha RBX375, Custom Upright Bass
Effects - Blackstar HT Dual, Aphex Acoustic Xciter, TCE Flashback, Red Witch Ivy, VFE Blueprint, MI Audio Tubezone, Boss ODB3, SPX 990
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I use both, Logic 8 and Live 8 suite.
Logic is what I use the most though because I like the workflow better.
I get better results faster.
Logic could be better on the audio side of things and it has it's quirks, as does ableton.

Just off the top of my head...
Things I find Logic is better at:
-File management.
-Quantinization.
-Stock plugs are easier to work with and, to me, sound a lot more professional. Especially the reverb, delay, and compression.
-The stock sounds and loops are much more useful unless your making electronic music in which case they are just as useful as abletons.
When I upgraded to suite I was pretty disappointed with the extra instruments except for the synths and the drums. The orchestral stuff in Logic is far better.
-different windows for arrange, mixing, midi, and audio. Which you can switch between by just hitting a number key. These are assignable as well.
-The mixer makes more sense to me. It looks and operates more like a console.
-stock templates will get you going in no time flat.

Ok I'll stop there...lol.

I find Ableton has these advantages.

-3rd party plugins that will work with ableton are more plentiful since it can use vst AND AU. Logic just uses AU plugins, but there's plenty of au's out there as well.

-Ableton is better for chopping sampling, performing, and dj'ing.

-You can midi and key assign pretty much anything. Although Logic has almost as much ability to do so.

At the end of the day I'd say it depends on what type of music your doing and what you prefer. At least 50% of it is personal preference. I'm assuming you have a Mac since your considering Logic.

If there's a guitar center close by, you can go there and play with logic or just get the logic express on eBay for $50.
Ableton has a demo download, I believe, or you might be able to score live lite for cheap.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm a songwriter and Live is my favorite program ever. Best sounding is less important than "What will I use my DAW for?"
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

The way i'm going in 2012 is Logic pro AND ableton live.
I have two screens so Logic on the left... with ableton under 'rewire' on the right.
works like a dream..
I feed the outputs of ableton into the logic mixer and 'mix' in logic.
Ableton is better for several things..for me it's quick for looking for stuff and for droppimg anything i find into the track in tempo.
I most likely would have single drums ending up in the EX24 but ableton is great for auditioning and choosing sounds.
so for me it's both!
The mixer page in logic is much better...so...thats where to mix.
lyons238
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

doesn't live 8 have the drum rack? and are there plenty of good free plugs out there to get me going? I'm not sure what i will use for a synth if i get ableton.

also i already have live lite and i like it. i still don't know how to use it very well but i like the way its set up and stuff. iv only seen logic, never used it but i hear its a tad bit more tiresome to use than ableton. but i know its a very good daw.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
btw i produce mainly dubstep.
If you're making electronic music completely ITB and you don't already own any 3rd party synth plugins then the non-suite version of Live isn't really going to cut it. You won't have any synths.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Logic is 64 bit Ableton isn't
lyons238
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

hmm that kinda sucks cuz i think i like ableton better but it has no synths without suite and isn't 64 bit :/

is the logic pro for $200 in the app store the full version of logic?

this is a tough choice

btw if i did get ableton id probably have to bust down and buy NI Komplete
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
hmm that kinda sucks cuz i think i like ableton better but it has no synths without suite and isn't 64 bit :/

is the logic pro for $200 in the app store the full version of logic?

this is a tough choice

btw if i did get ableton id probably have to bust down and buy NI Komplete
Yes, with additional downloads for the included content.

I also have Live 7 that I use sometimes, but mainly I use Logic for everything.

15 inch 2 GHZ Quad i7 MBP, OSX 10.8.4, Apollo Duo

22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Logic is definitely the best value, and personally I never liked Live's session view anyway which is mainly what its selling point is.
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear addict

think i might just cop logic then. seems like a banging deal.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search