Login / Register
 
Windows 7 not seeing / installing Asio Driver for my audio interface / ZED R16
New Reply
Subscribe
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#1
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
Windows 7 not seeing / installing Asio Driver for my audio interface / ZED R16

I have a ZED R16 firewire mixer that I use with my DIY system (Win7, 2600k i7, 16gb Gskill RAM, asus p67pro mobo).

I originally had the unit working fine w/ my current system but one day it dropped out. The connection process goes as 1) download/install device firmware/drivers+control panel settings, 2) restart, 3) connect and turn on ZED, and you should be good to go.

After the ZED dropped out (disappeared from the comp) I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers/software. When you do the install, at the end/finish windows should have a little alert, something like " are you sure you want xzz to make changes to your comp?", which I guess means that windows is recognizing the driver and installing it upon clicking ''ok'' - but I do not get this prompt. Also, the driver from Allen and Heath is not showing up in Device Manager, or working from Cubase 5, and is not registering in the Firmware control panel of the unit.

So I know for sure the driver is not installed and that windows is not seeing it for some reason during installation...

I have re/un installed several times to no luck. I've turned off windows defender, anti-virus, and firewall. I've even disabled the on-board soundcard in the BIOS, and uninstalled/disabled all other sound devices under Device Manager.

So I really just need some help getting Win7 to acknowledge and install this driver and then I can get back to recording


Thanks for any help
SLL
#2
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #2
SLL
Gear maniac
 
SLL's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 182

SLL is offline
I found some other zed R16 problems:

A&H ZED R16 Firewire problem

Your problem could be related.

But I also know, that electrical grounding problems (missing ground) also can cause firewire connections problems, and problems turning on/off your gear. If your setup is acting strange when you power on / off your gear, there probably is some electrical issues that needs to be solved. Only a wilde guess :-)

SLL
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#3
22nd December 2011
Old 22nd December 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
My unit doesn't have the ground issue (as I think), I actually checked, and this is one of the first batches from England and the original owner did the solder blob in both spots. Besides, it was working fine until a few weeks ago :/

Thanks for the reply!
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#4
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
Any computer experts out there that know how to get Win7 to see a new driver?
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#5
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
^Or does anyone know forums that are good for comp problems? I've posted this to Overclock.net, but no replies...I guess it's a difficult situation...
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#6
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
Here's what I see in the DICE panel. snippet attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png zed driver.PNG (43.4 KB, 513 views)
SLL
#7
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #7
SLL
Gear maniac
 
SLL's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 182

SLL is offline
Isn't there two types of software updates for it. It looks to me as if you have the 3.5.6 driver for the mixer installed, but needs to update the mixer firmware?!

I downloaded the software bundle form here:
ZED-R16 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING

which also contain the firmware update file. Have you updated both windows driver and firmware? There is as "loader" button in the controlpanel, which should be used for updating FW.

SLL
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#8
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLL View Post
Isn't there two types of software updates for it. It looks to me as if you have the 3.5.6 driver for the mixer installed, but needs to update the mixer firmware?!

I downloaded the software bundle form here:
ZED-R16 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING

which also contain the firmware update file. Have you updated both windows driver and firmware? There is as "loader" button in the controlpanel, which should be used for updating FW.

SLL
I think you've found the issue! But, when I go to upload the firmware (.bin file) in the FW loader, it doesn't go through? Here's a snip:
Attached Images
File Type: png firmware uploader.PNG (58.9 KB, 190 views)
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#9
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
snippet again:
Attached Images
File Type: png zed fw uploader.PNG (57.7 KB, 334 views)
SLL
#10
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
  #10
SLL
Gear maniac
 
SLL's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Denmark
Posts: 182

SLL is offline
I don't think your computer sees the mixer. So something is wrong. I just can't figure out where the problem is.... if it's a mixer problem or computer software problem, or even a cable problem. Could be as you said, that the driver installation somehow is corrupted, and therefore the driver doesn't work.

If the driver un-install part doesn't work correctly, and somehow has left pieces of the old driver, then I normally tends to use some ugly methods removing the last bits of the driver. And that's a manual task, starting with checking out what the driver(driver files) is called in the windows hardware "device manager" dialog. After that, searching through the whole windows registry (regedit) & HD file folders manually with windows explorer. But it's not a methods I recommend if you don't know exactly what you do. But mostly you can remove faulty installations this way, and make the new latest driver install.

In your case, I would contact Allen & Heath, and ask what to do in your situation. They probably know how to do everything "behind the scene", and can guide your through everything.

It could also be a hardware mixer problem. But it's more likely a software connection problem between the mixer & your computer, as you said in the beginning. Just remember to turn on the mixer, have the FW cable inserted, and be sure that everything is connected as it used to be, when you fiddle around with it :-)

SLL
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#11
2nd January 2012
Old 2nd January 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
I have yet to contact A&H, but may as well bump...
#12
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
  #12
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2

WHEELZ is offline
Same issue!

asdfdsa,
I have the same issue happening (windows vista 32/SP2, ZEDR16)
I noticed you got it working....How?
Im getting all the same notes in the control panel
frustrated user!!
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#13
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELZ View Post
asdfdsa,
I have the same issue happening (windows vista 32/SP2, ZEDR16)
I noticed you got it working....How?
Im getting all the same notes in the control panel
frustrated user!!
Actually...I honestly can't remember! Check the big (100+ pg) A&H zed r16 thread, I was asking around ang getting help i think around pg 103 and up... check all ur audio drivers and reinstall them...mainly for the fw port, and also for the video card, i know sometimes my card would interfere w/ the audio...maybe revert to the standard/ stock VGA driver like I did, I have an nvidia card, can't display as higha res. but it doesn't matter ight now....

Oh,now im starting to remember..

in the A&H DICE control , see if your firmware is installed. I tried to reinstall the zed drivers (about a 20times! no luck any time) and realized that it would not upload the firmware automatically, finally i went in and manual installed the firmware.
on the first tab (bus) of the dice panel, under the devidce settings bar, see the 'firmware uploader' button. click and see if it says something like 'no dvice found' or that there's nothering there...if so, then find the firmware and upload it, if the zed drivers installed ok, it should be seeing the desk now...

hope that helps...lotsa typos lol
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#14
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
also! I did a whole entire system restart... got a brand new HD, new version of win 7, installed everything fresh, then went over and installed the board/ got it working.....

as a last resort.

it cost probably 100hrs of screwing around trying to avoid doing it (huge waste) and finally I just had to do it...sucked, but way easier than 100hrs screwwing around...
just keep that in mind incase u run into the same problems as me...i had a friend (ccomp tech) install win 7 for me on the fresh build, at first it workd perfect, but after i started having problems I started thinking it may not have been a totally legit copy...HUGE HEADACHE if so!

see if the other stuff helps first...it wasn't fun, hopefully ull have an easier time.
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#15
23rd June 2012
Old 23rd June 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELZ View Post
asdfdsa,
I have the same issue happening (windows vista 32/SP2, ZEDR16)
I noticed you got it working....How?
Im getting all the same notes in the control panel
frustrated user!!
Did you get ur zed working? Mine fked up again...windows (7) just dropped the driver. The ZED disappeared, the DICE control lost the firmware and it will not upload it no matter how many times I select it & click the damn upload button, or uninstall/reinstall the ZED driver/firmware package. Ofcourse, no sign of A&H in the device manager, control panel, or sounds...sure the DICE control seems to install ok and fires up with a "No Devices Found. Connect Devices" prompt....ah helll...
#16
23rd June 2012
Old 23rd June 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Germany, Worldwide
Posts: 2,744

DAW PLUS is offline
Try to do a rollback of Windows by loading a restore point. This solved a very similar issue with the MR816 for me, when it wouldn't be recognized nor a uninstall/reinstall would work.

I'm not in front of a computer now, so the terminology is a bit off:
Rightclick on "computer", select properties, click on system restore. There you can load restore points for your c drive, if you haven't disabled this. Select the "all restore points " and "scan affected programs" options. Your personal files will no be affected, only installation things like drivers, applications and registry changes.
Try to take the earliest restore point which could remove as much ZED drivers as possible, without affecting installations which you'd really hate to do again.

I've used this a lot during testing, and while it is not always clean -it tends to ignore things like start menu entries etc- it has often worked the way I wanted it. I never had a negative issue either.
__________________
Leon
XI-MACHINES Turnkey Solutions
SSL & VSL certified. Pro Tools for Windows qualified systems.

asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#17
24th June 2012
Old 24th June 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Try to do a rollback of Windows by loading a restore point. This solved a very similar issue with the MR816 for me, when it wouldn't be recognized nor a uninstall/reinstall would work.

I'm not in front of a computer now, so the terminology is a bit off:
Rightclick on "computer", select properties, click on system restore. There you can load restore points for your c drive, if you haven't disabled this. Select the "all restore points " and "scan affected programs" options. Your personal files will no be affected, only installation things like drivers, applications and registry changes.
Try to take the earliest restore point which could remove as much ZED drivers as possible, without affecting installations which you'd really hate to do again.

I've used this a lot during testing, and while it is not always clean -it tends to ignore things like start menu entries etc- it has often worked the way I wanted it. I never had a negative issue either.
Sound advice. So to be totally clear, taking it back to a restore point will NOT affect any of my Cubase projects or files, plugs or apps? That's really all I care about, and of course my adobe programs, library and saved photo,vid, and audio files.
Thanks!
#18
25th June 2012
Old 25th June 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Germany, Worldwide
Posts: 2,744

DAW PLUS is offline
Correct. But even then, make a backup. No matter how reliable the tools are.
And check the "affected applications" list that you don't affect plugs/apps you installed after the restore point-or at least you will know what you might need to re-install. In case of a driver cocktail cleanup it might be worth the bit of extra work.
#19
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
  #19
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1

Stefan1616 is offline
Quote:
Did you get ur zed working? Mine fked up again...windows (7) just dropped the driver. The ZED disappeared, the DICE control lost the firmware and it will not upload it no matter how many times I select it & click the damn upload button, or uninstall/reinstall the ZED driver/firmware package. Ofcourse, no sign of A&H in the device manager, control panel, or sounds...sure the DICE control seems to install ok and fires up with a "No Devices Found. Connect Devices" prompt....ah helll...
Did you get your ZED R16 working yet? My PC is not detecting my mixer at all.
It used to work fine until a few weeks ago, but then just suddenly stopped detecting
anything.

I connected the ZED to two other PCs with no luck. They also don't detect the ZED.
So now I think that the problem is with the ZED itself.
asdfdsa
Thread Starter
#20
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,198

Thread Starter
asdfdsa is offline
^Nope, I really think its the ZED now porbably the FW card, tried multiple computers, no go... also, the power on (blue) LED is wuite a bit duller now, and may indicate a psu problem or some other intrernal issue...I'll be pissed if this POS has a dead FW card...cost more in headache than 2 of these for price. I''ll update, may be sending it off to be serviced soon if I can't figure it out.
#21
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
  #21
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 191

getarzan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
^Nope, I really think its the ZED now porbably the FW card, tried multiple computers, no go... also, the power on (blue) LED is wuite a bit duller now, and may indicate a psu problem or some other intrernal issue...I'll be pissed if this POS has a dead FW card...cost more in headache than 2 of these for price. I''ll update, may be sending it off to be serviced soon if I can't figure it out.
You'll never guess what...... Looks like I'm another poor bastard with the same fkn problem. My windows 7 , running Cubase 7 just dropped my ZedR16. Cannot open ASIO Allen and Heath FireWire. I've been screwing with this FOREVER. What a PITA. What did you do , or how did you make out ?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Chieftain Jake / Low End Theory
14
s.allman / Music Computers
2
Technician / So much gear, so little time!
2

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.