best apple laptop for music production?
New Reply
Subscribe
3phase
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Banned

best apple laptop for music production?

I just upgraded my black macBook 2,16 ghz with an an early 2011 I7 2ghz macbook pro.

In real live applikation that thing is not so much faster really than my old mac book.. maybe 90% faster/more tracks

ok..thats faster..but actually just means that i can swithch my old projekts to 96 k and evrything is still as tight as ever..

I actually expected a slightly bigger speed bump from a laptop that is 3 or 4 generations behind my previous model..where any new generation claimed to be twice as fast.. so i actually expected the new laptop to be around 8 times faster at least ;-)

Question:

Are this speedbumps all hype or are there certain apple that are a bit sour for audio use and i just grapped the most lame model since a while?

So what would be the best model available? dont need to be an actal one really. but fast and silent would be nice..

Actually i ve four cores on 2 ghz now and before 2 cores with 2,16 ghz..

so the actual i7 with hihger bus freq still slower than the old core 2 duo in the
end?

is ot really like this that one just needs to calculate bus frequency and cores and you know what you will get..and all the other factors are secondary?
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
I just upgraded my black macBook 2,16 ghz with an an early 2011 I7 2ghz macbook pro.

In real live applikation that thing is not so much faster really than my old mac book.. maybe 90% faster/more tracks

ok..thats faster..but actually just means that i can swithch my old projekts to 96 k and evrything is still as tight as ever..

I actually expected a slightly bigger speed bump from a laptop that is 3 or 4 generations behind my previous model..where any new generation claimed to be twice as fast.. so i actually expected the new laptop to be around 8 times faster at least ;-)

Question:

Are this speedbumps all hype or are there certain apple that are a bit sour for audio use and i just grapped the most lame model since a while?

So what would be the best model available? dont need to be an actal one really. but fast and silent would be nice..

Actually i ve four cores on 2 ghz now and before 2 cores with 2,16 ghz..

so the actual i7 with hihger bus freq still slower than the old core 2 duo in the
end?

is ot really like this that one just needs to calculate bus frequency and cores and you know what you will get..and all the other factors are secondary?
2.0 quad i7 is about 4-5 times faster than your old 2.16 c2d

remember with the new 8 threaded cpu like your i7 your software must be programed to make use of it , both your DAW and your plug ins and you must understand how they use threads.

if everything is stuck on 1 or 2 cores it won't be heaps faster.
3phase
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post

remember with the new 8 threaded cpu like your i7 your software must be programed to make use of it , both your DAW and your plug ins and you must understand how they use threads.

So one can assume that all audio software stucks on 1 or 2 cores anyway?

But wouldnt that say that a faster takt core 2 duo with 3 ghz for example is faster than an actual i7 with the lower takt frequencys for audio usage?

And what happens when i run multiple programs in parralel..would they at least be slitted between the cores or will they all stuck to the first 1 or 2 when not prorammend otherwise?

thanks sofar
S
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Most modern programs can utilize every core, its ram that's limited by a few programs still.

Hyper threading doesn't turn your four core into an 8 core, what it does is give you more didicated power but you are still limited to the individual core's frequency. If you are using the core for the same programs instead of giving it 2 cores unless it needs to it will stay as one core but boosts its frequency to give you a overclock result.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz.com
13th December 2011
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post

not on mbp amigo , due to heat it's down clocking ruff , even under it's regular speed ...so it's like having a old generation quad !

that's why i didn't finally got my mbp 17 and took an HP elitebook instead

MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/zoakajeezo

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZozillaT...t?feature=mhee

Cutthroat to the bone !

"People became used to use money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress others who do not care"
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search