Creating SX screenshots..
farjedi
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Creating SX screenshots..

Hi, I am about to be teaching a beginners class how to use Cubase SX and I was thinking of making some screen shots so they can take it home and have a visual guide. I want to do this at home but I have no printer and will have to print up elsewhere. My question; Is there a program that can capture what is on screen and save as a .gif or .jpeg? This would allow me to work out my classes at home and also edit the pictures at leisure.
I know this isn't a particularly music related thread but someone must know the answer. Thanks..
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Are you on Macos X or Winxp?

In XP, just press print screen. This will make a copy of your current screen to the clipboard. THen use a program like photoshop or even windows paint to paste it into a new document. That should do the trick!

(btw, it will capture the whole screen, so a paint package of some sort to crop out the bits you don't want would be useful)

Cheers,

Joe
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

On XP I think <CTRL> printscreen or <ALT> printscreen just copies the current highlighted window to the clipboard. Or is it <SHIFT> printscreen ???

it's something like that !!!

si

edit...i've just noticed that the forum has edited out my CTRL and ALT and SHIFT cos they were in greaterthan/lessthan signs...hence my post makes no sense at all !!!! oh well simonv said it better below !
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Gear addict

Hey,

For Windows:
-You can do as above (just press PrintScreen, and do Paste in your favorite Imaging software).

-Or try this, do ALT-PrintScreen. It takes a printscreen of only the active window.

From there, you can paste it in an imaging software, or paste it directly in Word.. that's what I'd do.
farjedi
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Excellent advice....I tried it and it works a treat "alt, printscreen" or on my computer "alt, PrtScrSysRq" , always wondered what that was about
Again Thanks
farjedi
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

is there any way to get the mouse cursor as part of the image? Icing on the cake but would be nice..cheers
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi
is there any way to get the mouse cursor as part of the image? Icing on the cake but would be nice..cheers
Probably with another software package, but it is not possible to do that with the standard windows PrintScreen or with Adobe Photoshop. Not possible either with PaintShop Pro.

If you need to highlight something your best bet is using the paint program's functions to draw over the screenshot. I have never needed the mouse pointer
on a screenshot.
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

farjedi
19th April 2006
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Hi thanks for the tip, I will try snaggit perhaps another time, as time is indeed ticking before my class begins. These are absolute beginners and I am attempting to teach them to sequence midi using Battery software sampler. I am creating a handout so they can use the facilities outside of our class to practise their skills. It's a step by step guide so the mouse pointers will help clarify my words, leaving, hopefully, no confusion. There must be little drawings of mouse pointers that I can just add to my images. Anyone?
Thanks for all the helpv
20th April 2006
Old 20th April 2006
Gear addict

PrintScreen from Gadwin is a free screen capture utility that allows you to capture the mouse cursor.

It also gives you options for 'current window', 'client window', 'full screen' or 'rectangular area'

- jon
20th April 2006
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi
There must be little drawings of mouse pointers that I can just add to my images. Anyone?
Thanks for all the helpv
Thing is you'll have to select it by outlining pixel by pixel and cut-n-paste it or do some sort of trasparency tricks or else you'll get a little box around it. Good luck
Attached Images

farjedi
20th April 2006
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

OK.I'll try
farjedi
20th April 2006
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

Cheers Cymatics, I like the sound of "free"..Thanks everyone for all the great advice..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search