Apogee Duet 2 drivers are bad bad bad!
GearNerd
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Apogee Duet 2 drivers are bad bad bad!

The problem is this: When I start up my iMac, Duet 2 isn´t recognised and it doesn´t open. I have to manually pull the USB cable and plug it back in and then it opens.

Usually it works fine, but about every tenth time when I open my computer this issue happens. With their latest update Apogee stated that they had fixed this issue, but apparently not. Before it was even worse, this issue happened about every 3rd time I opened my computer. So I guess they fixed it "little bit better", sigh!

How could this happen? I´ve never had such an issue with any other interface.

Apogee support hasn´t been working for weeks either. They can´t even handle their website, so how can they possibly write good drivers?
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
The problem is this: When I start up my iMac, Duet 2 isn´t recognised and it doesn´t open. I have to manually pull the USB cable and plug it back in and then it opens.

Usually it works fine, but about every tenth time when I open my computer this issue happens. With their latest update Apogee stated that they had fixed this issue, but apparently not. Before it was even worse, this issue happened about every 3rd time I opened my computer. So I guess they fixed it "little bit better", sigh!

How could this happen? I´ve never had such an issue with any other interface.

Apogee support hasn´t been working for weeks either. They can´t even handle their website, so how can they possibly write good drivers?
+1
would like to know what will happen if they cant fix it with an update
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Gear Guru

Wow.
25th November 2011
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear

That's surprising.

I've been using the Duet 1 for a long time now on more than one machine, running different OS versions and the drivers for that have always been rock solid. There's never been any issues.

Is the Duet 2 that different? I'm not referring to any difference in sound. Maybe it has something to do with Firewire VS USB? I've always found USB to be worse and more unreliable than Firewire.
GearNerd
26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011

OMG, yesterday I couldn´t get the iMac to recognise Duet 2. I unplugged and plugged the USB cable 3 times and nothing. Then I put the computer to sleep, unplugged the USB cable, because of that the computer woke up, plugged the USB cable back and then it finally recognised the Duet 2.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011
Gear maniac

someone mentioned to connect the other USB port could solve this problem.
but the driver should get better to avoid this issue, I've been using duet 1 since it's released, never got problem... Maybe USB driver??
26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011
Gear addict

This also happens on my Mac Pro 5,1 from time to time. I hope Apogee will release a more solid driver.
Also I get static noise at 64 sample buffer setting in Reason 6 only on certain songs. When I change to 128, it gets worse. Only workaround is to quit and relaunch Reason.
If Apogee doesn't hurry up and come out with a better driver, I'll be forced to use another interface b/c this is hurting my workflow.
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Gear maniac

same here....sometimes it gets recognized on startup...sometimes it doesn't...at which point I have to unplug it and plug it back in again....both on my Macpro and MBP...what a pain in the a$$....Just bought the thing two weeks ago and I'm not impressed.
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Gear interested

Same lame problem here. Hate this. Why can't they fix this?
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Gear addict

I've been finding that if I start the machine without the D2 plugged in, and then plug it in afterwards it behaves much better. There's no on/off switch, so I end up unplugging it after use anyways.
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Same here. Had to unplug both power and USB cable a couple of times before it is recognized. Very bad they choose USB instead of Firewire.
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Same here. Had to unplug both power and USB cable a couple of times before it is recognized. Very bad they choose USB instead of Firewire.
I've had exactly the same problem with the FW Duet 1 and the new drivers so it's not just USB.
GearNerd
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011

Glad to hear I´m not alone with this annoying problem.

Apogee guys are real professionals! That´s sarcasm by the way.
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

I bought the thing on a whim for Black Friday and Ive had the same problem. I had an old Apogee device that had the same issue and decided to try them one more time. Learned my lesson.
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Banned

Strangely enough, this also happens with my Ensemble under Lion. Upon firing up the computer Maestro launches, but nothing shows up as being detected.

Pretty damn annoying.
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Also finding Ensemble/Maestro 2 drivers buggy under 10.6.8 (the latest version notes support for both Lion and 10.6.8). Have had to uninstall and reinstall the software several times, and still often Maestro 2 opens and won't be metering properly or not working at all...
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Head

Kind of surprised to hear so many people having so many problems. This is really making me reconsider purchasing duet 2, thought it would be practically problem free. Apparently not.
GearNerd
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anokah View Post
Kind of surprised to hear so many people having so many problems. This is really making me reconsider purchasing duet 2, thought it would be practically problem free. Apparently not.
I suggest taking a look at the RME products, I´ve never had problems with them. My problems started when I bought Apogee products.

Actually RME is making Apogee look like bunch of amateurs. Not even direct monitoring, give me a break!
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Gear Head

Yeah, I have checked out the Babyface, seems sweet. I'd really like the UFX, but that is another matter. Just need a really small 2x2 interface with good AD/DA and preamps for a portable rig i'm planning. Buying a macbook pro at christmas.
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Gear maniac

Anyone who is having any problems with Duet should contact our support department. You can contact them by phone: 310-584-9394, email: support@apogeedigital.com, or Live Chat from our website: apogeedigital.com
Our engineers would really like to see your system profile if you are still having this problem.

GearNerd - I never heard back from you when I asked for your Symphony I/O serial number and system profile... when you said you were having problems with it months ago. Hopefully you will send in your Duet info so that our engineers can see what is happening with your system. When you send in your info, please also indicate that you are "GearNerd" on GS so that we can put some closure to this. Thank you for your continuing interest in our products.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

my Babyface works as intended on the same computer
still waiting for new drivers or to tell my retailer to send it back
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
my Babyface works as intended on the same computer
still waiting for new drivers or to tell my retailer to send it back
The new driver has been working really well on all of the systems tested here. Please contact our support, and send them your system profile. If you are still having problems with the most current driver, it will help our engineers to solve the problem that we may not be seeing on our computers here.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
Anyone who is having any problems with Duet should contact our support department. You can contact them by phone: 310-584-9394, email: support@apogeedigital.com, or Live Chat from our website: apogeedigital.com
Our engineers would really like to see your system profile if you are still having this problem.

GearNerd - I never heard back from you when I asked for your Symphony I/O serial number and system profile... when you said you were having problems with it months ago. Hopefully you will send in your Duet info so that our engineers can see what is happening with your system. When you send in your info, please also indicate that you are "GearNerd" on GS so that we can put some closure to this. Thank you for your continuing interest in our products.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
I'm having the same problem as everyone else. The Duet has a lot of issues with being recognized consistently. Luckily it doesn't bother me too much as it is a really easy fix, it just has to be unplugged and re-plugged or the computer has to be restarted. It's annoying but it isn't a deal breaker, i still love my DUet2... would be nice to get it fixed though Chris... instead of just hearing the "ohhh we didn't know about this being a problem..." CMOn!!! don't pull that! you guys know whats going on!
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Duet 2 is a mess. Duet 1 was flawless. I mentioned in another thread that it's going back for a variety of buggy things going on, as soon as I complete two projects I'm in the middle of. Can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Another strange/annoying thing is it always asks me to register the Duet every time I start the computer... what the heck is that???... I already registered it... a couple times... but it just keeps asking me.
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Another strange/annoying thing is it always asks me to register the Duet every time I start the computer... what the heck is that???... I already registered it... a couple times... but it just keeps asking me.
ya i think this is the problem everyone else is talking about... every now and then upon starting your computer the duet2 basically acts like it has no f*cking clue what's going on... strangely enough unplugging it or restarting the computer fixes the trick... strange...
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Duet 2 here as well and the same problems. Not recognized with start up. MBP new. I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in at least once..... same problems even with the latest download. Seems ridiculous for the price. Also have a RME UFX with zero problems (I know over twice as much, but it just works) I really like the Duet 2, but I want it to work without bugs.....
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Banned

My Ensemble also seems to s*%t itself when operating at any sample buffer other than 512. Increasing/decreasing it in either direction in reaper or ableton live under lion just causes static, crackling and popping to a huge amount!

I have contacted tech support... all they did was take a copy of my system profile and say "looks fine from here...".
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundUniverse View Post
Duet 2 here as well and the same problems. Not recognized with start up. MBP new. I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in at least once..... same problems even with the latest download. Seems ridiculous for the price. Also have a RME UFX with zero problems (I know over twice as much, but it just works) I really like the Duet 2, but I want it to work without bugs.....
Running 10.7.2 with a week-old Duet 2 with no problems. Recognized on startup, etc etc.

2006 Macbook Pro.
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Gear addict

Thumbs down Disappointed!!!

I have 2 problems with my Duet 2 and wrote Apogee support.
1) Not being recognized occasionally on startup that everyone else is seeing
2) Some of my Reason songs are unplayable due to statics and noise at 64 samples and these only have 5~7 virtual instruments. And when I switch the buffer to larger settings, it gets worse. Workaround is to set it at 128 or larger and quit and relaunch Reason. And this occurs only on some of my songs so there is no apparent reason. I can play some other songs with more instruments without any problems at 64 samples so this is not a CPU overload issue.

Apogee's response regarding issue #2 was that it's normal for USB2 interfaces to have problems at buffer size 32 ~ 64 samples.

And my response was "I can run the same problematic songs without any problems on Mbox 3 which is also an USB2 device"

And their response was "I think it is not unusual to have to set your software's buffer size to a different setting for different audio interfaces."

I would love to keep using my Duet 2 but Apogee support's attitude is killing me. Instead of "It must be inconvenient that these issues are occurring let me help you and look into it". They're like "Uh~ there is no problem with our drivers that's the expected behavior". And after I made some arguments, they finally said "ok send me your Apple profile".

Come on Apogee, you guys are not giving your customers the trust and faith that you guys should be earning...
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Having the same problems with the Duet not being recognised.
And the slightest static electricity kills it when I touch the wheel.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search