Apogee Duet 2 drivers are bad bad bad!
#91
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
  #91
Gear maniac
 
Deckdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway

Yes, everything balanced up to +12dBu to the XLR inputs, not just mics. Actually I haven't tried the preamps for mics yet, as I tend to like the flavor of my Pre-73s and use compression and often EQ on the way in. Regarding the low end, I now see they the -0.5 specs on the Babyface on the AD is measured from 50Hz and 30Hz to 20kHz and over, while on the DA it's from 10Hz and 5Hz to over 20kHz. So it seems like it's the AD thats a little shy down there.
#92
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #92
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismichols View Post
So the display on my apogee broke down a couple of days ago. I contacted apogee on their chat. They said they'd replace it right away. But then he realized that I live in Sweden/Europe and that complicated things a little.

I knew already that my local dealer was probably going to replace it for me but they have to send it to Luthman first and I really can't do without it right now since I'm in the middle of a recording.

Anyways, apogee was really helpful in this and gave me a few alternatives if my local dealer wasn't cooperating.

Luckily my local dealer had a good day and replaced it right away despite their standard procedure plan for these kind of things.

So, here I am with a brand new Apogee Duet 2, unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this solves none of my driver issues.

Here's a little update about my Apogee duet 2.

I got an Apogee duet 2 this last summer. I have had to reinstall the drivers up to five times a month 'cause my MBP suddenly doesn't recognize the hardware anymore. There have been a couple of updates since. Each of them claiming to solve the problem, none of them have.

Besides this "little" problem the display broke down on me after four months. I got a brand new duet 2 that I used for two weeks before that display broke down.

Something's not right about these cards.
To it's defense I should say that when it actually works it sounds brilliant.

I was thinking about, after getting a new one on warranty, switching to the babyface. It all looked promising until I saw that the babyface only goes to 60dB gain. That's not enough for me since my primary microphone is a SM7B. :(

Why why why doesn't apogee solve these issues?

And, anyone else having problems with broken displays?
#93
18th January 2012
Old 18th January 2012
  #93
Gear maniac
 
Deckdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway

If you want the Babyface you can get Triton Audio's FetHead for your SM7B. It gives about 20-25dB additional gain, and doesn't cost much. I use it with my SM7B + PRE-73 combo even tho' the pre has plenty gain. Gives me less noise and I can stay within the first 50dB stage, and have lots of juice left if I want to go overboard with saturation/distortion.
#94
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
  #94
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismichols View Post
Here's a little update about my Apogee duet 2.
. . . And, anyone else having problems with broken displays?
My experiences with the Apogee Duet 2, and the online support for this product, have been bad.
The Duet 2? It's a piece of junk.
I'm taking mine back tomorrow.
#95
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
  #95
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 1,402

Had this thing a while now. It's embarrassingly unreliable. Contacted them about trying a replacement and haven't gotten anywhere yet. They told me to try the same problem solving things I've been trying for months.

Also, I work with another guy that bring his Mac Intel tower to my place to work and the Duet screws up just as much with his computer. Gotta get back with Apogee and see if I can do a swap... cause if this ain't a hardware problem at this point and it's just that the software really is this unreliable... good lord!

Also, it is so friggin' bright sounding. Can be pretty fatiguing IMO.
#96
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
  #96
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack63 View Post
My experiences with the Apogee Duet 2, and the online support for this product, have been bad.
The Duet 2? It's a piece of junk.
I'm taking mine back tomorrow.
Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep that ball trollin'

... oh sorry, carry on
WDM
#97
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
  #97
WDM
Lives for gear
 
WDM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 551

I bought mine last month and i didn't discovered any problems yet.
I am using mac mini with Ableton and it all works.
They didn't ship the drivers in the box, so I've downloaded it from their web site.
#98
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
  #98
Gear nut
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 76

Mine it's working fine with logic, no problem, nothing just smooth perfect
#99
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
  #99
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,531

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismichols View Post
Here's a little update about my Apogee duet 2.

I got an Apogee duet 2 this last summer. I have had to reinstall the drivers up to five times a month 'cause my MBP suddenly doesn't recognize the hardware anymore. There have been a couple of updates since. Each of them claiming to solve the problem, none of them have.

Besides this "little" problem the display broke down on me after four months. I got a brand new duet 2 that I used for two weeks before that display broke down.

Something's not right about these cards.
To it's defense I should say that when it actually works it sounds brilliant.

I was thinking about, after getting a new one on warranty, switching to the babyface. It all looked promising until I saw that the babyface only goes to 60dB gain. That's not enough for me since my primary microphone is a SM7B. :(

Why why why doesn't apogee solve these issues?

And, anyone else having problems with broken displays?
The gain on the Babyface is comparable to the Duet2. There's a guy on YouTube who does a comparison of both units. And he found that the Babyface produced a much hotter signal at the same gain settings on the pres. So it's worth testing it in a store or asking someone with the same mic. But if you got enough gain with the Duet, the Babyface should match it.
GearNerd
Thread Starter
#100
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
  #100
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,097

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep that ball trollin'

... oh sorry, carry on
No, what you did right there was a troll. So go away troll!

People with real issues with a product they paid lots of money for and bringing those issues into daylight isn´t trolling.
#101
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
  #101
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
No, what you did right there was a troll. So go away troll!

People with real issues with a product they paid lots of money for and bringing those issues into daylight isn´t trolling.
Oh, please. Someone with two posts who just joined GS this week totally pans Apogee, calls duet 2 'a piece of junk' that they are 'taking back tomorrow' and I'm the troll?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for real world issues with duet 2 seeing the light of day. I'm also no apogee fanboy (check my posts much earlier on in this very thread)-- but the operative words here are 'real world issues', not baseless claims without any substance to them.

Since you started this thread, I'm sure that you have negative emotions tied up with your duet 2 purchase. I can understand that. But this other post reads like a competitor of apogee trying to stoke the flame war.

To the other poster: how about some real information about exactly what you experienced that led to your strong comments about 'this product'?
#102
25th January 2012
Old 25th January 2012
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post

To the other poster: how about some real information about exactly what you experienced that led to your strong comments about 'this product'?
October drivers seem to work for some users who bought their units lately
not a good sign for owners who bought early models
#103
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
  #103
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
October drivers seem to work for some users who bought their units lately
not a good sign for owners who bought early models
I got a newer Duet 2 unit from Apogee sent to me by advance replacement.. Still this one does not work either... Well work it does but 50% of the time I connect it it doesn't recognize and I have to restart the computer...
#104
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
  #104
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleido View Post
I got a newer Duet 2 unit from Apogee sent to me by advance replacement.. Still this one does not work either... Well work it does but 50% of the time I connect it it doesn't recognize and I have to restart the computer...
Well, after reading all of this, plus the fact that duet 2 is single platform only (I'm sorry, but really-- in 2012-- a company won't put out drivers for windows and mac??)

Just ordered my RME Babyface snow edition
#105
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
  #105
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Well, after reading all of this, plus the fact that duet 2 is single platform only (I'm sorry, but really-- in 2012-- a company won't put out drivers for windows and mac??)

Just ordered my RME Babyface snow edition
I'm thinking about selling my duet 2 if they dont fix the problem soon..

However the Duet looks a lot better than the babyface, the LED screen is pretty nice and even tho I don't think it does have build quality (knob wobbles, hole that knob sits in is not accurate cut etc...) it sure have a more beautiful design...
#106
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
  #106
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 112

Maybe we could gather some info, we who have problems with the drivers... Seems like Apogee is doing nothing to fix this problem so maybe we could gather info of mac osx versions etc and see if there is any pattern for the people who got problem..

I'm running 1.6.8 Snow Leopard, Running firmware 1.27 (check system profiler usb), maestro version 2.4.5 and drivers 1.32.

These drivers was given to me after long discussion with support, so right now I'm given beta drivers time to time.. I believe the one on the site that says "october drivers" are 1.30 but I'm not sure.

Apogee also sent me an new duet 2 to switch with the old one. Apparently they "never experience any of these problems" on their own testings etc... Yeah right.. so they sent me this unit that they did test themselves... Well, it doesn't recognize 50% of the times I plug it in either..
#107
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
  #107
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleido View Post
I'm thinking about selling my duet 2 if they dont fix the problem soon..

However the Duet looks a lot better than the babyface, the LED screen is pretty nice and even tho I don't think it does have build quality (knob wobbles, hole that knob sits in is not accurate cut etc...) it sure have a more beautiful design...
Yeah, I totally agree. I like the design of the duet 2 over the babyface. But, I've been seduced into buying products before based on looks (my macbook pro titanium of old, which had major RAM problems and PSU issues and just never worked right!), and I won't fall into that trap again.

These days, I'm all about function over form(factor)... and the babyface ticked all of the boxes for me in that regard

Plus, I've been a happy RME user (had the FF 400 and then FF 800 before upgrading to Lynx Aurora 16/AES-16) and LOVE their drivers under windows!
#108
31st January 2012
Old 31st January 2012
  #108
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,531

The Babyface is ugly but functional and rock solid. It's also smaller than the Duet 2.
#109
31st January 2012
Old 31st January 2012
  #109
Gear interested
 
spaceboy_g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1

Another one to add to the long list I'm afraid. The duet2 is recognised and shows up in the USB list in the system profiler but the firmware doesn't seem to want to load. Tried taking the USB cable out, holding down the controller knob and plugging it back in, although this worked the first few times it has stopped working now. The device also has the same problem when plugged in via a power supply, the 'A logo' appears and the bar underneath flashes along but never loads up fully.

The only thing I have found that can get it back working is to restart the computer with the duet2 attached and hope for the best. 60% of the time, it works every time ;-)

Such a shame as it does sound amazing when it works, for both recording and output to a sound system. Who knew a 128kbps m4a could sound so good?
#110
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
  #110
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 11

Damn this has stopped me getting a Duet 2 has anbody here had the problems completley resolved? having to keep installing uninstalling because usb goes wonky is madness, dodgy touch buttons and the sound being too bright! really, sounds like a turkey, surely by now a lot of driver probs are fixed, is this the minority? a bad batch.
Any happy duet 2 users here?
Malk
#111
1st February 2012
Old 1st February 2012
  #111
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hatman View Post
Damn this has stopped me getting a Duet 2 has anbody here had the problems completley resolved? having to keep installing uninstalling because usb goes wonky is madness, dodgy touch buttons and the sound being too bright! really, sounds like a turkey, surely by now a lot of driver probs are fixed, is this the minority? a bad batch.
Any happy duet 2 users here?
Malk
Yeah, that's why I went with the RME. You may have seen these vids, but if not, Stick seems to like both units...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1qFA3NLtsm6hAA
#112
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
  #112
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 11

@ttown23 about rme

Hi ttown23, how is the RME?,I have seen the videos and everything else he does on the 2 devices, and I'm dissapointed the apogee is having so much trouble, yet hearing people say half their cds sound bad playing back through the duet is worrying, and tiring on the ears is bad, and i don't buy the "its just showing up bad recordings thing" that's like saying all these great musicians, engineers and mastering people have got it all wrong but until now we couldn't hear it, lol

The RME looks impressive and expandable, still not totally sure on the aesthetics of the thing but hey who stares at the interface anyway?

So this connects straight to active monitors, so how is volume controlled, is the device at unity and the volume adjusted separately or does the unit adjust its true out via software, don't that lower the bits to lower the volume.
Thanks for you time.
#113
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
  #113
Gear addict
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 305

Some thing is wrong in this post my Duet 2 worked from day one till now.
#114
4th February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
  #114
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hatman View Post
Hi ttown23, how is the RME?,I have seen the videos and everything else he does on the 2 devices, and I'm dissapointed the apogee is having so much trouble, yet hearing people say half their cds sound bad playing back through the duet is worrying, and tiring on the ears is bad, and i don't buy the "its just showing up bad recordings thing" that's like saying all these great musicians, engineers and mastering people have got it all wrong but until now we couldn't hear it, lol

The RME looks impressive and expandable, still not totally sure on the aesthetics of the thing but hey who stares at the interface anyway?

So this connects straight to active monitors, so how is volume controlled, is the device at unity and the volume adjusted separately or does the unit adjust its true out via software, don't that lower the bits to lower the volume.
Thanks for you time.
Hey Hatman, yeah I am pretty impressed with mine so far. I got the snow edition, which looks a little nicer than the standard edition; also, I don't have any metal-on-metal issues with the knob like in the one youtube video. Yep, the volume is controlled from the 'big knob' at the front and you can directly connect the babyface to yoour active monitors...

The sound is reminiscent of my FF 800. So far, it's been rock-solid under windows and coupled with my animoog ipad2, Akai MPK49 controller, and Sony VAIO ultralight laptop this should make a killer mobile rig... I take my next trip in April so I'll report back more on how the experience went.

But at this point, I'm glad that I went with the RME babyface instead of the duet2!
#115
5th February 2012
Old 5th February 2012
  #115
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 244

Seriously you don't buy a soundcard for how it looks. The Apogee doesn't look particularly good either.

The Babyface got so much more functionality and the drivers are so good that it never even occurred to me to care about how it looked. But I'm looking at it now.... Looks pretty good.

I'm routing the 8 adat channels from Kontakt to Logic using the loopback feature and the drivers matrix, try to do that with a Duet 2...
#116
5th February 2012
Old 5th February 2012
  #116
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,359

Never had an issue with my Duet2..
#117
5th February 2012
Old 5th February 2012
  #117
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 36

I just went back and forth with Tech Support on Friday and they sent me a new unreleased update to the firmware and usbdaeman. Seems more stable than it was but I won't give a thumbs up just yet until I spend more time recording this week.
#118
5th February 2012
Old 5th February 2012
  #118
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 11

I know you dont buy on looks thats why i said who stares at it.
So apogee duet 2 and rme babyface users hows the sound, is the apogee over bright,is the rme warmer ect.\
I thought software volume controls where twitchy, i have an m audio firewire 410 thats never gone wrong running through a desk, but desk is on its way out, and connecting directly to interface is dangerous because volume control on these is so twitchy jumping to full ect that i need a new interface, so upgrading, i take it the volume control of both units is sorted, just one thing though does it reduce bit depth to alter volume because it is digital and only analogue attenuates properly, its why people spend cash on expensive passive volume controls so interfaces can run at unity?
Just wondered if they have solved that with these or whether it just isnt noticeable.
#119
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #119
Gear Head
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Never had an issue with my Duet2..
how long have you had your duet 2? ive had mine for about a month. the first one i got stayed on the pruple screen so i returned it and got a new one and its been perfect ever since.
#120
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #120
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 1,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseo90 View Post
how long have you had your duet 2? ive had mine for about a month. the first one i got stayed on the pruple screen so i returned it and got a new one and its been perfect ever since.
I got mine in October and it's been pretty much perfect. The only caveat is that I have to plug it in while my computer is awake. If I plug it in before I wake it up, I have to replug. Doesn't seem to be a deal breaker.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.