Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
If you are still having problems with the most current driver
Chris, I am having a problem that others have shared as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baurman View Post
issues with this driver update:
1) When I turn the knob on the Duet, it doesn't show the boxing filling up the volume, it's just blank.
2) When I press on the knob, it doesn't show the on-screen display of the inputs switching.
Have you heard of this? Is there a solution you can share? You mentioned an October update - would that fix it? After the August driver issues, I reverted to Snow Leopard pending a fix. I would love to get my Duet 1 working with Lion.

Thank you.
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike33r View Post
Chris, I am having a problem that others have shared as well:

Have you heard of this? Is there a solution you can share? You mentioned an October update - would that fix it? After the August driver issues, I reverted to Snow Leopard pending a fix. I would love to get my Duet 1 working with Lion.

Thank you.

Yeah,I wrote Apogee and all they had to offer was to uninstall and install again-same buggy issues.I wish I could go back to Snow Leopard but I have the late 11 macbook pro.

Chris,just tell us your working on it ,thats all I want to hear
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdeluca71 View Post
Yeah,I wrote Apogee and all they had to offer was to uninstall and install again-same buggy issues.I wish I could go back to Snow Leopard but I have the late 11 macbook pro.

Chris,just tell us your working on it ,thats all I want to hear
That would be nice to hear.
15th December 2011
Old 15th December 2011
Gear interested

Duet 2 is definitely buggy. I sent mine back for a refund. Same problems mentioned by others with my 2010 iMac not recognizing the Duet 2. Install/ reinstall, switch ports, all nonsense. I also noticed that the Duet 2 didn't seem to like running along side my Axiom Pro 49.
Reason 6
iMac 3.06GHz Core i3, 4GB RAM
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
Presonus FaderPort
M-Audio Axiom Pro 49
16th December 2011
Old 16th December 2011
Gear Head

I'm also having issues here with a brand new macbook pro.

worked great for the first week, then got a little wonky (unplugging/replugging and restarting seemed to do the trick), and now its flat out broken, and im having trouble getting any audio at all out of my system

about to email customer support right now to find a solution
18th December 2011
Old 18th December 2011
Gear nut

Have anyone here fixed there issues by either re-installing OSX or actually getting a new Duet 2 from Apogee? I've been having problems since I bought it like 3 months ago and I've been sending mails to the support ever since then... And Apogees mail support really is bad.. I'm calling the phone support now on monday to see what they have to say.

My problem is that the drivers are not recognized when connecting the duet.
18th December 2011
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleido View Post
Have anyone here fixed there issues by either re-installing OSX or actually getting a new Duet 2 from Apogee? I've been having problems since I bought it like 3 months ago and I've been sending mails to the support ever since then... And Apogees mail support really is bad.. I'm calling the phone support now on monday to see what they have to say.

My problem is that the drivers are not recognized when connecting the duet.
Problem is, I always need the friggin' thing so haven't sent it back. Someday it might need to go back to Apogee in case it actually is hardware related... or which I'm starting to think is more likely, they need better drivers.
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear interested

I bought one in July, the right hand touch button would randomly trigger, meaning it couldn't be used. It took 12 weeks to get a replacement, 12 weeks! And that only after emailing everyone in the company to stir things up. The new one is now exhibiting the same "unrecognised" problem, and it took 2 un/reinstalls last night plus many imac restarts before it worked again. Never again Apogee. And I'm still waiting for the half-wits to organise collection of the old unit, there's no way I' spending a single cent on postage after all the grief I've had.
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear maniac

My Duet 2 is always recognized by Logic but sometimes I have to go into system prefs and select the Duet 2 as audio output. It should automatically do this every time the Duet 2 is plugged in. Also, sometimes the imac doesn't display the volume when I turn the Duet 2 dial. This requires a restart. Using latest firmware on Snow Leopard. Would be nice to get this two issues fixed for good. Duet 1 didn't have these problems...
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear nut

Anyone fixed this yet? I will soon be selling my Duet 2 because I can't believe I payed 500 euro for this piece of ****
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleido View Post
Anyone fixed this yet? I will soon be selling my Duet 2 because I can't believe I payed 500 euro for this piece of ****
Not that I'm aware of. I'm in the same boat as you. Frustrated at spending this money and having it be so damn flaky.

Not sure why they can't get it right. Duet 1 was flawless for me... and there was nowhere near this level of people on the internet saying it was screwing up on them like I see with Duet 2.
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I'm in the same boat as you. Frustrated at spending this money and having it be so damn flaky.

Not sure why they can't get it right. Duet 1 was flawless for me... and there was nowhere near this level of people on the internet saying it was screwing up on them like I see with Duet 2.
Even my school has better sound interfaces which cost not even half the amount the Duet 2 does... and they work flawless everytime...
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to philoking Send a message via MSN to philoking
Maestro 2 is nearly worthless. I bought an Apogee Ensemble and ended up returning it because I am already running Lion and Maestro 2 doesn't support saving configurations so I ended up re-configuring it every time I turned it on to get the main outs going out digitally, also couldn't configure standalone mode, Maestro 2 just plain doesn't support it.

I was pretty disappointed because I had been wanting an Ensemble a long time. Ironically I got an email from an Apogee rep about a week after I returned it thanking me for buying the Apogee One and asking how I liked it. I responded by telling her how frustrated I was with the Ensemble. That was about a month ago, she didn't even bother to respond.

JB
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, lots of trouble here! My Duet 2 has been pretty flawless. I hope that all of you with troubles are letting Apogee know. I wonder why some are having so much trouble and some are not.

I'm running Lion on a MBP i5.
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
Wow, lots of trouble here! My Duet 2 has been pretty flawless. I hope that all of you with troubles are letting Apogee know. I wonder why some are having so much trouble and some are not.

I'm running Lion on a MBP i5.
Well, whether Apogee wanted to know or not, looks like a decidedly negative response from the GS crew, at least as far as duet 2 is concerned.
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Well, whether Apogee wanted to know or not, looks like a decidedly negative response from the GS crew, at least as far as duet 2 is concerned.
I was really hesitant between getting either a Duet2 or a RME Babyface... I read some reviews and went for the Babyface as was also suggested by the salesman.

I thought I would not require the extra ADAT input/outputs, but with the amazing loopback feature of Totalmix I have 5 stereo bus looped from one software to the other with a very low latency (5-12 Adat channels and 3-4 headphones, 1-2 going to the speakers). Every i/o can be used simultaneously by multiple softwares and routed internally.
I didn't even know about this feature when I bought it, and now it's absolutely essential to my setup.

It's been 2 months, it's very stable, no background noise at all, never had a bug, and sounds amazing.
It seems it was the good decision.
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
I was really hesitant between getting either a Duet2 or a RME Babyface... I read some reviews and went for the Babyface as was also suggested by the salesman.

I thought I would not require the extra ADAT input/outputs, but with the amazing loopback feature of Totalmix I have 5 stereo bus looped from one software to the other with a very low latency (5-12 Adat channels and 3-4 headphones, 1-2 going to the speakers). Every i/o can be used simultaneously by multiple softwares and routed internally.
I didn't even know about this feature when I bought it, and now it's absolutely essential to my setup.

It's been 2 months, it's very stable, no background noise at all, never had a bug, and sounds amazing.
It seems it was the good decision.
Hmm, interesting.

I've been using the original Duet for the past 2 years or so and it was wonderful.

SInce Lion it's been useless. I'm amazed at how unconcerned Apogee seem to be about the damage this must be doing to their reputation.

Come on guys, how hard can it be to do a proper fix? It's been almost six months.
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

I see almost a surge of Babyface users at RME's forum.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Finally Dead.

I am so pissed at Apogee right now. This flaky, glitchy piece of crap is now not even being recognized by my computer.

In the middle of a project (when are we not in the middle of a project), need to finish and get paid... and this thing completely f*cks the dog.

Sent them an email (don't imagine anyone's working on a Saturday) and hope they can make an exchange as painless as possible. I can't be wihout a friggin' interface.

Need a working Duet 2 ASAP!

Not sure what the heck is going on over at Apogee, but this Duet 2 stuff is a mess. NEVER saw problems like this with Duet 1 (and I owned it). Maybe Max leaving Apogee was a bad thing. Friggin' mess.
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Gear nut

Quite surprised to see a thread such as this. My duet 2 has been running great from the get go, the only glitch being the popup to register the device but even that I only saw twice since I installed it from new. I have a 2009 iMac 27.

If you're having issues though, wouldn't you rather submit bug reports to apogee instead of vent on a forum? Probably the best approach in order to get system compatibility issues resolved.

Also, for those having problems, might be worth doing some maintenance on your macs, resetting p-ram and nvram and repairing permission.
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

They've heard from me.
GearNerd
9th January 2012
Old 9th January 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

And still no fix for this problem or even a word that they are trying to fix it. Apogee sucks!
9th January 2012
Old 9th January 2012
Gear nut

Okey guys here is an update from me that might be interesting to the others who also have problems...

Talked to Apogee (well I have done that through mail since I bought the Duet but now finally I get some real things happening) and they are sending me a new duet that their engineers have tested etc etc...

So I will get that one and when I have it, I will send them my "defected" unit.

So now I hopefully will know if there is a problem in my device or my macbook. Because there is something with either the duet or the macbook as many other people are using their duets 2 without problem and they also had problem re-creating the issue in their engineer lab...

Anyway, I will post update here maybe already tomorrow on how the "tested and new" unit directly from Apogee works...

If it got the same problem (not recognizing), then I guess I will re-install snow leopard...
Or does that fix problem on mac? I know on PC you could solve EVERY problem with a fresh install of the OS ^^
9th January 2012
Old 9th January 2012
Gear maniac

I was at the store today, and got a new RME BabyFace replacing the Duet 2. Apogee never ever responded to my emails.

With the Duet 2 I could never use the lowest buffer setting without problems. From messing with the BabyFace today I have been able to do so.

Wit the Duet 2 I had to adjust manual offset to 1300 samples (in Reaper). With the BabyFace I had to set it at 263, that's 5 times better latency figures. Bonus.

I did the 10 times roundtrip converter thingy (recording output to input x 10), which I've also done with the Duet 1 and Duet 2, and I'm missing some bottom. I think the result of the 10 x Duet 2 sounded better, more pleasing, less sterile, fuller and less "digital". I think it's mainly the AD because the DA sounds full. That's not very cool, but it's a compromise. I wish the preamps in the BabyFace were completely taken out of the chain when doing line levels... This little bass drop should not stop me from making music with this tho'! I have not tried the preamps.

I can't afford a Metric Halo right now, so this will have do for a while. Plus I might come over an ADAT piece giving me 8 more inputs. I also like that it has MIDI built in, as I also picked up a MIDI/CV pedal for my Voyager Old School. Plus RME is known for stable good drivers.

So I don't think the BabyFace sound better, but maybe I can sleep at night and get little to no headaches.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
I was at the store today, and got a new RME BabyFace replacing the Duet 2. Apogee never ever responded to my emails.

With the Duet 2 I could never use the lowest buffer setting without problems. From messing with the BabyFace today I have been able to do so.

Wit the Duet 2 I had to adjust manual offset to 1300 samples (in Reaper). With the BabyFace I had to set it at 263, that's 5 times better latency figures. Bonus.

I did the 10 times roundtrip converter thingy (recording output to input x 10), which I've also done with the Duet 1 and Duet 2, and I'm missing some bottom. I think the result of the 10 x Duet 2 sounded better, more pleasing, less sterile, fuller and less "digital". I think it's mainly the AD because the DA sounds full. That's not very cool, but it's a compromise. I wish the preamps in the BabyFace were completely taken out of the chain when doing line levels... This little bass drop should not stop me from making music with this tho'! I have not tried the preamps.

I can't afford a Metric Halo right now, so this will have do for a while. Plus I might come over an ADAT piece giving me 8 more inputs. I also like that it has MIDI built in, as I also picked up a MIDI/CV pedal for my Voyager Old School. Plus RME is known for stable good drivers.

So I don't think the BabyFace sound better, but maybe I can sleep at night and get little to no headaches.
Well a lot of "pros" thinks RME's sound reproduction is more accurate, the frequency response is quite flat. I'm sure the Duet 2 sounds great however, but Apogee's stuff has the reputation of being coloured (and the fact that the Duet 1 and Duet 2 sounds dramatically different proves this to some extent).

I am running 96khz classical music recordings (in Audirvana) on the Babyface through a pair of Neumann KH120a speakers and it sounds better than anything else I've heard so far.

As for the 10x "roundtrip" test or the Babyface sounding "more digital" I am more than skeptical about this.

However RME has an amazing support and discussion forum, I encourage you to ask them what this roundtrip test is worth. They reply to almost every support request.
RME User Forum / USB series

But in case you are unaware, the mic inputs have a low freq filter of -2dB at 20 Hz to help avoid unwanted frequencies. It can be compensated with the hardware EQ.

Check out the manual section on Total Mix carefully, it's worth it. It is the most powerful driver software I've seen. There are tons of things you can do with the matrix, submixes and the loopback features that are impossible to do with any other card.

Cheers.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

Yeah, I've read that RMEs are supposed to be flat and Apogee more colored. And Apogee had color, a little more mids, but not much, and the color is pleasing to my ears. I measured the Duet with a sweep in Room EQ Wizard (Calibrate) and it's very very flat as well!

I'm still confident in my x10 test, and I can measure many dB loss at bass frequencies at the 10th round. This did not happening with the Duet, rather just a tiny boost. I used only the same XLR cables as previous tests directly between the outs and ins, simply recording output. No EQs in Totalmix. There was also a small boost in the highest frequencies, but still the result is less pleasing than the Duet.

A thing I also dislike about the Babyface is that the volume goes to +6dB instead of 0, so while adjusted the volume on the Mac or with the jog wheel all of the sudden distortion and clipping.

Wondering if I actually should get back the Duet 2, sound quality over fearures for me. Some may like the RME sound, maybe I don't, at least not the Babyface.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear interested

I love my Ensemble (although I hate the maestro software) and was looking in to a Duet 2 for my mobile setup but this thread has definitely caused me to reconsider or at least wait until these potential problems get sorted out by Apogee. RME makes some fantastic alternatives. We grabbed an RME UC a little while back and it hasn't crashed once. The included TotalMix software is hands down the easiest, most powerful dsp mixer I have ever used. Always bums me out to have to go back to Maestro 2 after working in TotalMix.
msl
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Well mine's been running perfectly for the last 5 months. None of the problems mentioned here, I'm still on 10.6.8 though.

michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Gear maniac

OK, I have listened tons more, and I'm keeping the Babyface. While it lacks a little low end and has less headroom in and out, it has some other qualities, and stereo image and details are better preserved after 10x roundtrips. It sounds more like the original, and the Duet 2 is more beefy, but more so than the original. It's easy to get attracted to it's sound at first, and I guess I'm used to it after using both Duet 1 and 2 for a long time. But I'm choosing the less fun, but also truer Babyface. Foregive me for all my whining, I hope the Babyface gives me no more reasons to whine in the future.

Peace.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Can you use an external Mic Pre (Balanced) with the Babyface?

Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search