Login / Register

Apogee Duet 2 drivers are bad bad bad!
New Reply
Subscribe
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Gear interested

I have same problem with the duet not being recognised and it seems to be getting worst the pull out and plug back in method dosnt work no more neither the restart solution either I am going to replace my Apogge for something that works this is my first and last apogge product.
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqtion View Post
I have 2 problems with my Duet 2 and wrote Apogee support.
1) Not being recognized occasionally on startup that everyone else is seeing
2) Some of my Reason songs are unplayable due to statics and noise at 64 samples and these only have 5~7 virtual instruments. And when I switch the buffer to larger settings, it gets worse. Workaround is to set it at 128 or larger and quit and relaunch Reason. And this occurs only on some of my songs so there is no apparent reason. I can play some other songs with more instruments without any problems at 64 samples so this is not a CPU overload issue.

Apogee's response regarding issue #2 was that it's normal for USB2 interfaces to have problems at buffer size 32 ~ 64 samples.

And my response was "I can run the same problematic songs without any problems on Mbox 3 which is also an USB2 device"

And their response was "I think it is not unusual to have to set your software's buffer size to a different setting for different audio interfaces."

I would love to keep using my Duet 2 but Apogee support's attitude is killing me. Instead of "It must be inconvenient that these issues are occurring let me help you and look into it". They're like "Uh~ there is no problem with our drivers that's the expected behavior". And after I made some arguments, they finally said "ok send me your Apple profile".

Come on Apogee, you guys are not giving your customers the trust and faith that you guys should be earning...
I had the same basic responses from Apogee as you. The kind of, well... this is how it is with USB and this is how it's going to be. Made me VERY angry and I let them know that. I expect WAY MORE from Apogee than that.

This is not stuff you deal with when paying $600 for an interface. I got my return authorization from American Musical and just hope they'll still accept it by the time my projects are finished and I send it back, otherwise I'll have to sell the Duet 2 outright and take a bath.

I realize it's working on some systems but I don't remember any shite like this AT ALL on internet forums when Duet 1 was released. I used Duet 1 for many years with not one problem that I can think of.

Looks like I'll have to spend a bit more and get a Babyface.

By the way, can any of you with USB interfaces (made by any company) put the computer to sleep, then restart it and not have everything be a mess?
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
By the way, can any of you with USB interfaces (made by any company) put the computer to sleep, then restart it and not have everything be a mess?
You mean sleep as "hybernation"?

I use my RME UFX with PCs via USB2.0, and turn on UFX before and after the computer is ON, and the OS (Win 7) always find the interface correctly, and load the Total Mix. It switches from system sound to UFX's sound automatically. I don't have to go to Control Panel to change anything.

I never use hybernation/sleep for any audio computers anyway.
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Wow. I was considering a duet for my laptop rig but am moving away from that now that I have read about others' trials and tribulations.

But what really is a red flag here is the party line response from Apogee. As an owner of other Apogee products, I find this off-putting-- and as a company that services industry professionals, I would frankly expect more. Seems like a good opportunity for Apogee to show some good customer service here and step up to the plate?
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
Anyone who is having any problems with Duet should contact our support department. You can contact them by phone: 310-584-9394, email: support@apogeedigital.com, or Live Chat from our website: apogeedigital.com
Our engineers would really like to see your system profile if you are still having this problem.

GearNerd - I never heard back from you when I asked for your Symphony I/O serial number and system profile... when you said you were having problems with it months ago. Hopefully you will send in your Duet info so that our engineers can see what is happening with your system. When you send in your info, please also indicate that you are "GearNerd" on GS so that we can put some closure to this. Thank you for your continuing interest in our products.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Chris... Care to respond to allegations being made about the lack of customer support and apoggee's lackluster opinion on the matter?
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Gear maniac

What I posted yesterday was to help people having problems with Duet 2. I was not denying that there was a problem.
The October 2011 update addressed this problem, and in our testing here, on our computers, was very successful. Although we test on a number of different computers, there still can be problems on certain computers that we may not have here. That is why I asked everyone to contact support and send them your system profiler if you have already updated to the October 2011 firmware/software installer and you are still having problems.

To check if your versions are correct, plug in the Duet2 and open System Profiler (“System Information” if you’re running Lion). Click on “USB” in the left-hand “Hardware” column and then select “Duet USB” in the USB Device Tree. The version displayed below should read “1.26”. If it’s a different version, this means the firmware needs to be updated. Run the October 2011 installer with the Duet2 plugged in to the USB port to update firmware.

To check if the Duet2 software is current, click on “Applications” in the System Profiler on the left-hand “Software” column. In the list of applications, select “Apogee Maestro 2”. If you have the current software, the version should read “2.4.5”. If it shows a different version, you need to run the October 2011 installer.

If your firmware and software are both up to date here are a few other things to look at.

If you are using any OS lower than 10.6.8... You will need to update to 10.6.8.
If you have 10.6.8, Go to the Apple menu and select "Software Update". If it has an OS update and/or a security update, you will want to run this update. There was an additional 10.6.8 "combo update" that fixed some USB issues, so even if you're on 10.6.8, you may still need to check if there's another update.

Also, make sure the USB cable is a USB 2.0 cable, not all USB cables are 2.0 compatible. The cable that came with Duet is of course USB 2.0, if you switched cables, make sure it's the correct cable.

If you have done all of this and you are still having problems, please contact our support department and send them your system profiler. This is the only way to fix the problem in a timely manner.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Wow. I was considering a duet for my laptop rig but am moving away from that now that I have read about others' trials and tribulations.

But what really is a red flag here is the party line response from Apogee. As an owner of other Apogee products, I find this off-putting-- and as a company that services industry professionals, I would frankly expect more. Seems like a good opportunity for Apogee to show some good customer service here and step up to the plate?
Just to offer up some anecdotal evidence on the other side of things, my Duet 2 is working great. I haven't had any issues with it, although the only thing I haven't tried is overdubbing. But for capture and playback, it's been rock solid and doesn't have any weird noises or require any special dances to get it work. While there are issues with every interface for various reasons, the complaints are the things you are going to hear about. Most people who have one of these are too busy working with it to spend time talking about it.

I did find out about the Babyface after I bought the Duet and had a moment of wondering whether I made the right choice, but the bottom line is that it does everything I need it to do, it does it reliably and it sounds great while doing it. I haven't had to contact Apogee, so I can't comment about them. It is too bad that every company can't be as available and responsive as Metric Halo, but it's also too bad that Metric Halo doesn't make a stereo $600 interface. From what I can tell, I'm probably much happier trying to work with Apogee than Avid. It's all relative. So, don't be scared off the Duet. You might really like it and in the long run, I'm sure that Apogee will be diligent in trying to get rid of any bugs that might remain.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear maniac

Thumbs up

My Duet 2 is working great also! I sold my Duet 1 (which I had purchased in August of 2008) on eBay and the buyer was having an issue which is similar to the issue in this thread.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...t-working.html

I called Apogee Support today and they said even though the buyer was not the original owner, Apogee would still provide technical support free of charge. He (the buyer) spoke with the Apogee Technical Support Rep and was not able to get the issue resolved over the phone. They believe it might be an issue with the firewire port and issued him an RMA # and the diagnostic charge would be $50 to $75 to repair. Try calling Avid or someone else with an item that is out of warranty and they ask for your credit card number just to say hello to you!

I started with an Apogee Rosetta AD -> Duet -> Duet 2 and my next unit will be Apogee!
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sigmond View Post
My Duet 2 is working great also! I sold my Duet 1 (which I had purchased in August of 2008) on eBay and the buyer was having an issue which is similar to the issue in this thread.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...t-working.html

I called Apogee Support today and they said even though the buyer was not the original owner, Apogee would still provide technical support free of charge. He (the buyer) spoke with the Apogee Technical Support Rep and was not able to get the issue resolved over the phone. They believe it might be an issue with the firewire port and issued him an RMA # and the diagnostic charge would be $50 to $75 to repair. Try calling Avid or someone else with an item that is out of warranty and they ask for your credit card number just to say hello to you!

I started with an Apogee Rosetta AD -> Duet -> Duet 2 and my next unit will be Apogee!
considering too to upgrade from my duet1 to the duet2. Is it wroth? Do you hear an difference? Is the sotlimiter in the duet2 working?
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
considering too to upgrade from my duet1 to the duet2. Is it wroth? Do you hear an difference? Is the sotlimiter in the duet2 working?
I hear a difference, beautiful design, cables are less clutter, LED's are great, balanced outputs, up to 192KHz ( I generally record at 44.1 or 48), touch pads, can control volume to headphone and output separately, dim feature. I have not really used the soft limiter yet. If I had to do it all over again, I would still opt for the upgrade to the Duet 2.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Head

I found the Duet 2 to be a significant step up in sound quality to my Duet 1. I'm very pleased with it. I record with the soft limit on however I have not had a situation yet where it has been needed. Recording at 24 bit there is no need to run the input so hot.
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." Douglas Adams
GearNerd
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
GearNerd - I never heard back from you when I asked for your Symphony I/O serial number and system profile... when you said you were having problems with it months ago. Hopefully you will send in your Duet info so that our engineers can see what is happening with your system. When you send in your info, please also indicate that you are "GearNerd" on GS so that we can put some closure to this. Thank you for your continuing interest in our products.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Symphony I/O has started working better since the Release 4, if you don´t count the annoying fan noise. I still get some occasional glitches though with the volume, but rarely. Also the 32 buffer is hardly working with my 12-core Mac Pro with SSD drives and plenty of memory. Even with a project with just a couple of tracks I start to get cracks and pops, unbelievable! 64 buffer is also giving me cracks and pops with about 20-30 tracks, crazy! With RME I can run projects over 100 tracks with 64 buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Having the same problems with the Duet not being recognised.
And the slightest static electricity kills it when I touch the wheel.
Wow!

Quote:
With Apogee interfaces this have been a total mess for me, sleep mode kills the Apogee interfaces. With other products like Fireface 800 no problems whatsoever. I always even leave my projects open when I put the computer to sleep and when I wake it up, everything´s perfectly where I left them and no hassles with computer recognising the interface. I usually use the sleep mode about a month until I do a full reboot. With Apogee I do a full shutdown procedure every night. ANNOYING!

RME
1. Two clicks = Sleep mode. One push of a button on the keyboard = wake from sleep mode. Takes about 5 seconds.

Apogee
2. Save the project. Close the project. Close the sequencer. Close everything else what I have open in my computer. Shutdown the computer. Start the computer. Start every application that was open and need open, start the sequencer, open the project.
Takes about 5-10 minutes of work.

Quote:
My Duet 2 is a mess. Duet 1 was flawless. I mentioned in another thread that it's going back for a variety of buggy things going on, as soon as I complete two projects I'm in the middle of. Can't tell you how disappointed I am.

Another strange/annoying thing is it always asks me to register the Duet every time I start the computer... what the heck is that???... I already registered it... a couple times... but it just keeps asking me.
Oh yes, I have that too, almost forgot.

When I finish my current projects, I´m definitely switching Apogee for something more professional and better. There´s no way this is acceptable for products that cost this much!
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to swartzfeger
Quote:
I just received my Duet 2 last week. Plugged it in, downloaded newest drivers, installed, restarted -- no problems. At all. Waking up from sleep, restarting, powering up the MBP, the Duet 2 has always been recognized. And works great.

10.7.2 on 2006 MBP.
4th December 2011
Old 4th December 2011
Gear interested

The latest drivers also are bad bad bad. I'm so disappointed. Should never have switched from my Duet 1.
Every now and then my MBP stops recognizing the Duet and I have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers in order for it to work.

Now, on top off that the display suddenly broke down on me. The display now has about half its brightness and has color fluctuations.
That I'm afraid is hardware malfunction. I really don't want to send it for repairs since I'm in the middle of recording an album and I can't be without a the duet for like a month or whatever it may take...
4th December 2011
Old 4th December 2011
Gear maniac

I got my Duet 2 about a month ago. Step up from D1 conversion wise indeed, and I got it for that reason, plus balansed out, plus independent headphone DA and volume.

Actually no problems with sleep mode or recognizing or glitches at 64 buffer on my '11 iMac i7 running Reaper 4 and OSX Lion. I did however get problems with my Duet 1 after upgrading to Lion and the new install for it with Maestro. Maestro is the only thing not functioning properly with the D2 aswell, so I think it has some problems.

What I don't like tho' is that the noise floor jumps from about -100dB at 44.1 or 96kHz to about -68dB at 192kHz! The noisefloor gets higher than my Cambridge phono RIAA. It's perfectly fine at 44.1 and 96. This is wether -10 or +4 and with or without soft limit.

I contacted Apogee through their support chat, the person chatting couldn't answer if the noise floor issue was normal, so I sent a mail to an adress he provided. No answer. Sent a mail through the contact form on their support site. Got the confirmation mail. No answer...

Thinking about returning it and pay the little extra for RME BF, tho' I like the D2 otherwise. I know the Pro Audio Shop I got it from will agree that it's a pretty non-Pro noisefloor...
4th December 2011
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

Metric Halo. Bulletproof. Just saying.

Hope you guys get sorted!
5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
Gear nut

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Duet 2. I’ve had no problem with sleep / waking.

But …
Buffer 32 simply does not work (even on a Mac Pro 8 core machine), buffer 64 mostly works but still gives occasional pops/crackles.

I do feel that Apogee are not quite being honest here – they give example of latency times at a buffer size of 32, and yet it seems unusable.

Has anybody managed to make buffer size 32 work reliably?

Also, try as I might, I cannot seem to hear much difference with the soft limiters turned on or off (as I mentioned in another thread). If I set up a signal that is just clipping, I would expect that by turning on the soft limiter, the clipping distortion would go away, but it most definitely does not. Anybody else experience this?

(and, yes, I know that there is no need to record that hot, I am just trying to test how good the soft limiter is – and at the moment I am struggling to hear ANY effect).
5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
Gear nut

Had problems with my Duet 2 since I bought it. The computer often doesn't recognize it after sleeping/awake and plugging in etc. I need to restart my computer every time it happends and that is kind of bad thinking about that it is a expensive audio interface... Even the cheap audio interface at school (which cost about 40% of the Duet 2) works better driver wise...

Support haven't helped me either... been mailing them for a month or 2 now and haven't come to a solution yet...
5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post

In the end I'm likely to bail on this Apogee Duet 2 mess... however, I believe the lowest priced Metric Halo is far more expensive if Im not mistaken.

I think the Babyface is one of the main contenders around the Duet 2 price range. Hopefully it sounds as good.
5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
I'm having the same problem as everyone else. The Duet has a lot of issues with being recognized consistently. Luckily it doesn't bother me too much as it is a really easy fix, it just has to be unplugged and re-plugged or the computer has to be restarted. It's annoying but it isn't a deal breaker, i still love my DUet2... would be nice to get it fixed though Chris... instead of just hearing the "ohhh we didn't know about this being a problem..." CMOn!!! don't pull that! you guys know whats going on!
And your'e the guy tthat said **** P
5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
And your'e the guy tthat said **** P
what?? please make sense of what you just said. You facepalmed me so I'm sure it couldn't have been nice, but it would be great if you could at least make sense out of it..

5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

It sounds like I'm hearing mixed experiences with the Duet 2, roughly 50/50.

I can't comment on Apogee's beta-testing procedure, but typically the way these sorts of issues are uncovered is by rigorous platform-to-platform testing. This is almost compulsory these days given the ever-growing complexity and myriad combinations of hardware out there.

It would be interesting to hear what Apogee's in-house beta-testing procedure consists of, the hope of course being that end-users haven't unwittingly become beta-testers themselves.
GearNerd
5th December 2011
Old 5th December 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
...the hope of course being that end-users haven't unwittingly become beta-testers themselves.
I definitely feel like a beta tester using Apogee products.
6th December 2011
Old 6th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
what?? please make sense of what you just said. You facepalmed me so I'm sure it couldn't have been nice, but it would be great if you could at least make sense out of it..

I was censored[mods] I said youre the guy[unless Im mistaken] that said F$%$ PC's a few days ago,and your'e having issues with an apple only device,....Hmmm
7th December 2011
Old 7th December 2011
Gear Head

The cheapest metric halo seems to be at least 1500$ more than the apogee. And three times the footprint.
7th December 2011
Old 7th December 2011
Gear interested

So the display on my apogee broke down a couple of days ago. I contacted apogee on their chat. They said they'd replace it right away. But then he realized that I live in Sweden/Europe and that complicated things a little.

I knew already that my local dealer was probably going to replace it for me but they have to send it to Luthman first and I really can't do without it right now since I'm in the middle of a recording.

Anyways, apogee was really helpful in this and gave me a few alternatives if my local dealer wasn't cooperating.

Luckily my local dealer had a good day and replaced it right away despite their standard procedure plan for these kind of things.

So, here I am with a brand new Apogee Duet 2, unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this solves none of my driver issues.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post

Unfortunately I realized this months later than I should. BUt, hey, beter later than ever! :-)

I enjoyed the Duet 1 but can't really recommend them anymore. The Duet 1 was fine but the 2 is a mess. I also cannot accept that when Lion came out they had no drivers and other users with Duet 1 were even left hanging for much longer.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by anokah View Post
The cheapest metric halo seems to be at least 1500$ more than the apogee. And three times the footprint.
Get it second hand. Bigger footprint but infinitely less problematic. It's worth it.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafonso View Post
Get it second hand. Bigger footprint but infinitely less problematic. It's worth it.
For a comparable price and better drivers he should just get a RME Babyface.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Head

Wow I thought it was just my system
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search