Apogee Duet 2 drivers are bad bad bad!
New Reply
Subscribe
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
All this talk about Apogee not doing their own drivers is funny. Why you ask, well I just got a Quartet and I am running 10.6.8 and the drivers they had on the web for it did not work right with Snow Leopard.
So I called them up, and in the process of the whole conversation the tech actually emailed me drivers made especially for people running Snow Leopard and now it works fine.

Hmmm have any of you with problems actually called Apogee? I know some of you are in AU and may not want to spend the money on an international cell call but it might be worth the money. Instead of conversing in email get a real person on the phone who will want to correct your problem then and there.
Seriously it worked fine for me and guess what? They do still make drivers, this was my experience and honestly I was impressed by Apogee's support.
I'd be more impressed if the working drivers for 10.6.8 were simply posted on their site. I'm seriously considering buying a Quartet but don't want to have to call tech support just to get it to work.

..ant
20th October 2012
Old 20th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
Get yourself uninterested in the Duet2 and get RME Babyface instead.

++ better and more stable software drivers
++ RME updates the software quickly in response to new Mac OS X versions
++ superior DSP mix console (TotalMix superior to Maestro)
++ less hassle

Do the research and you'll hopefully come to the same conclusion.

The high end Apogee boxes (AD-16X etc) are good but the Duet series is to be avoided.
^^^
Yep, what he said

And I'll add that the Babyface is expandible to 8 lines of ADAT in. Love it!
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear interested

Right Im really getting f***ed off with Apogee right now. I have upgraded to their latest firmware for the Duet2 and im running the lastest Lion patch along with the latest version of Maestro 2.

The DUET 2 takes several restarts before it is recognised. This is a massive issue for me and its always been happening. the product is about a year old and latest support email was so patronising I was livid. Apogee should be brought to justice for selling such products. How is this even justified?!

Is there any fix to the Duet 2 not being picked up by the MacBook Pro? Using USB or Mains Power adapter ? Thanks
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4vinder View Post
Right Im really getting f***ed off with Apogee right now. I have upgraded to their latest firmware for the Duet2 and im running the lastest Lion patch along with the latest version of Maestro 2.

The DUET 2 takes several restarts before it is recognised. This is a massive issue for me and its always been happening. the product is about a year old and latest support email was so patronising I was livid. Apogee should be brought to justice for selling such products. How is this even justified?!

Is there any fix to the Duet 2 not being picked up by the MacBook Pro? Using USB or Mains Power adapter ? Thanks
Yeah, it's called Babyface haha
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear nut

It's hard to believe the polar opposites in user experience with the Duet 2. How can this be?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsong View Post
How can this be?
It can be that way because the Apogee's software implementation for Duet is flaky and fragile. That's why.

You do not get these "polar opposite" and schizophrenic behaviors reported by tons of Metric Halo users. Why? Because that product has better engineering: better firmware, better software drivers; better control panel. Therefore, less complaints of instability.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4vinder View Post

Not to be snarky but the fix is to get a different DAC. I empathize with you: i had the Duet for 3 months and just gave up and bought something else. I actually bought 2 different DAC's and they have both been stable with no issues. I've spent 0 hours troubleshooting, and/or getting angry. The a-ha moment for me was when one of the Apogee reps in this thread suggested making sure you were using the supplied Apogee USB cable for the Duet 2.

There are so many great converters, with equivalent features, it's a wonder people who actively record music would tolerate the issues the Duet 2 has. Honestly, how are people willing to be dealing with these issues for over a year?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear maniac

ive had the duet 2 for about 6 months and never had one problem with it
MFW
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
MFW
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Yeah, it's called Babyface haha
No doubt. Babyface is rock solid, and standalone capable as of the new firmware.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear maniac

I recently had the displeasure of having to grapple with an Apogee One just to record a single mono track while we were between interfaces. Now, anything with an Apogee label on it has officially become object non grata within 200 feet of where I am trying to get work done. Every other cheap and expensive interface that I threw in there for the same task worked between flawlessly and pretty good. The Apogee was the only one that simply tripped over itself for three hours. Sounded pretty good : ) but it was a doorstop 50% of the time.

Surprised they'd kill their rep for their upper echelon products and anything else by foisting these on the public, but who knows. They got to be the overpriced consumer interface of the Apple Store, the perfect target buyer, so they have little motivation to fix the flakey software.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear Head

Day 3 with this running on OSX 10.7.5 on a 1 yr old iMac and been having some issues right out of the gate, though the sound is indeed fantastic. I've read this thread back several pages and was curious(as I couldn't find an answer yet) as to why this particular Duet 2, turns itself off when the Mac sleeps for longer periods and then doesn't turn itself back on? It stays w. the purple Apogee logo loading and loading if I manually unplug and replug it back in, no dice and it ultimately takes a full system restart to get it back online.

Question 2- Is anybody having crystal clear audio during tracking if one tries to track with a H/W Buffer Size lower than 128. I was experiencing what sounded like "snags" with the audio during tracking, but that disappeared once set to 128(as per Apogee). Just thought this should be possible, but I guess not...

Thanks in advance for any clarity folks, I'm not sure how I feel about this purchase other than it is indeed fickle but truly excellent sounding.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min7sharp5 View Post
... It stays w. the purple Apogee logo loading and loading if I manually unplug and replug it back in, no dice and it ultimately takes a full system restart to get it back online.

... H/W Buffer Size lower than 128. I was experiencing what sounded like "snags" with the audio during tracking, but that disappeared once set to 128(as per Apogee).
You just summed up the entire point of this thread. You don't need to read it because there isn't an answer, unless "1. Yes it does that; 2. No you can't;" are answers
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

RME Babyface is the answer if the Duet 2 doesn't work out for you. Plus the Babyface now works either stand-alone mode or with iOS devices.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
RME Babyface is the answer if the Duet 2 doesn't work out for you. Plus the Babyface now works either stand-alone mode or with iOS devices.
yep, this is what I moved to after having horrible issues with my Duet FW on Lion. Much happier with the RME.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

My 2008 MacBook and Duet 1 are still going strong without issue. On this rig, I've used Logic Express for tons of projects.

My new 2012 MacBook Pro and Duet 2 with Logic Pro also works great - when it's actually up and running.

The Duet 2 only gets buggy if/when the computer is put to sleep or sometimes when I shut down and restart. Generally, a hot swap does the trick to wake up the Duet from the dreaded "purple A".

Otherwise, I'm happy with the musicality and simplicity of the Apogee - but wish they could work out the bugs.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Everybody thinks software when having problems like this, but maybe it's just hardware.
USB power is not that great, and differs from port to port, computer to computer.
I have had startup problems with other power hungry gear on USB power.
WIFI sticks, hard disks, etc.
Sometimes a shorter, thicker USB lead with less internal resistance is the answer.
Maybe you can find a USB lead with TWO USB plugs on the computer side.
One for power and data, and another one for extra power.
As used on some older external hard disks.
Leo..
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear interested

I have a FireWire Duet and when I switched from my old MacBook to a brand new Mountain Lion based iMac, I started getting audio clicks. I thought it was my old 1971 U87, but every mic produces the same result. I plugged my shitty old mbox 2 in and no problems. I tried every possible buffer and every suggestion I found and nothing has helped. Even had my iMac repairs with a new logic board ( on warranty of course).
Driving me batty as my old MacBook has no such issues.
Looking at other options now as I temp solution is Mbox and it does not sound as good. I am using an external Linchbox full of good stuff.
Any tips out there?
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear addict

I'm using a duet 2 with the latest retina macbook and it's working flawlessly. The only thing is I use the 2 prong adapter with the macbook (if you add the 3 prong extension you'll hear a strange electrical noise
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

OSX Lion user on a Quad Core here. Apogee Duet 2 stops working and the purple "A" shows up. Hotplugging doesn't change anything. NOT happy. Works for a while but disconnects itself. Would hate for that to happen on a session. Really considering selling it but the quality is so good... .
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

10.7.5 Macbook Pro

Duet2 works flawlessly and sounds fantastic.

User error.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
10.7.5 Macbook Pro

User error.
Hey bro! I have a Mac book pro with 10.7.5 and apogee duet 2 tôo...

I dont know what To do... I v tryied everything without success

I have some noise and hiss here come from outputs... Sometimes the sounds of monitor stops and a "click" starts when the instruments or mics are used.

I use the New drive for the duet 2, pro tools 10, and mbp 10.7.5!

Somebody Help me please!

Sorry the english,

Regards from Brazil.

Hbos
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeYoo View Post
Everybody thinks software when having problems like this, but maybe it's just hardware.
USB power is not that great, and differs from port to port, computer to computer.
The Duet 2 comes with a wall power supply. I used it and it made no difference.

Quote:
10.7.5 Macbook Pro

User error.
Can you share the "user error" with all of the people who have posted in this thread over the last year?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral View Post

Can you share the "user error" with all of the people who have posted in this thread over the last year?
Yeah, 'cause the only 'user error' I am aware of is buying the Duet 2 in the first place

Sorry, had to...!
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

You only need to use the wall power supply if you get an error message stating your usb device needs more power. Mine's never given me that error yet still crashes.

Just listening to iTunes this minute and the "purple A" appeared yet I still get audio through my connecting speakers, a lot of good that is when I can't control volume or inputs.

I tried keeping Maestro open thinking it would help keep it connected, it worked yesterday for longer than it has before crashing today.

Got in contact with Apogee who have told me to ring them to further diagnose the problem. Only thing is they gave me a USA number and I'm in the UK. Fat chance I'm wasting my money calling them. I've asked for the number of a UK distributor but they haven't replied yet. Seriously at my wits end with this thing. Apogee if you're reading this SORT YOUR S**T OUT!
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
10.7.5 Macbook Pro

User error.
I'm on an Quad Core Mac Pro, you are not. That's your error.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear interested

I have a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro 15 here running 10.8.2, and I'm seeing no issues whatsoever with my Duet 2 running at 64 samples. That said, on a 2011 MBP, I wasn't able to drop below 128 samples without rice krispies. To those having issues, I'm assuming you've:

- Your Duet firmware and drivers are up to date
- Dedicated a USB port for your Duet
- That you've fully tested all ports to see which work better
- You're using the supplied USB cable

Anyways, I'm getting beautiful performance, and a beautiful sound.

Best of luck!
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear nut

Works fine set to 64 samples on my 2011 MBP 2.2 GHz using 10.8.2 and Logic.
GCL
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
GCL
Gear addict

Yes, hopefully anybody having problems is NOT using the Duet 2 on a hub! You can't do that. Apogee doesn't support it either. I have zero probems with mine on a retina macbook pro, and have dedicated a port for it. When I first got it I did use it on a USB port and had many of the issues people are reporting here. I called Apogee and they said it's not supported on a USB hub.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szorn View Post
You only need to use the wall power supply if you get an error message stating your usb device needs more power. Mine's never given me that error yet still crashes.

Just listening to iTunes this minute and the "purple A" appeared yet I still get audio through my connecting speakers, a lot of good that is when I can't control volume or inputs.

I tried keeping Maestro open thinking it would help keep it connected, it worked yesterday for longer than it has before crashing today.

Got in contact with Apogee who have told me to ring them to further diagnose the problem. Only thing is they gave me a USA number and I'm in the UK. Fat chance I'm wasting my money calling them. I've asked for the number of a UK distributor but they haven't replied yet. Seriously at my wits end with this thing. Apogee if you're reading this SORT YOUR S**T OUT!
UK Distribution

http://www.sonic-distribution.com/contact-sonic
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

I'll take it people have seen this?

Symptom: Duet 2 (USB) displays a purple A and is not recognized by the Mac.

Resolution: All Duet 2 users should update to OS X 10.7.4 Lion and update to the May 2012 Duet 2 Software Installer (Current Software Installer) to resolve Duet 2 recognition issues. *See the release notes here

For additional troubleshooting tips, please click here.

Duet 2 (USB) shows purple A and is not recognized

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search