can I highend compressor, used as an insert be enough for the whole mix?..
activexjava
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear maniac

Cool can I highend compressor, used as an insert be enough for the whole mix?..

Hi ... getting inspired by some posts about compressor plugins ...
I wonder if I get only 1 decent stereo compressor .. and use it as an insert ... same manner as using an external reverb unit ... can it be sufficient for the whole mix?... I am simply buying gear before starting to work on my first project .. I have the diamond waves suite .. with the RCOMP included ... but again .. that's software ... I want to know if getting 1 hardware compressor will do the trick

ideas?..

thanks
John
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Yo dude...

Ren Comp is ok for vox and stuff... but if you have the diamond bundle, you're gonna want to have a go with the Linear Phase Multi Band Comp and L3.

As for an external...

People swear by a few stereo comps around here, including

Alan Smart C2 - I had one of these and actually sold it, not because it sounded bad (it sounded great) but because I figured out that I wasn't doing much 2-bus comping and I wanted a different flavor for my vocals.

Manley Vari-Mu

CraneSong STC-8
activexjava
14th April 2006
Old 14th April 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunesmith
Yo dude...

Ren Comp is ok for vox and stuff... but if you have the diamond bundle, you're gonna want to have a go with the Linear Phase Multi Band Comp and L3.

As for an external...

People swear by a few stereo comps around here, including

Alan Smart C2 - I had one of these and actually sold it, not because it sounded bad (it sounded great) but because I figured out that I wasn't doing much 2-bus comping and I wanted a different flavor for my vocals.

Manley Vari-Mu

CraneSong STC-8
thanks for your comments .. actually I am not sure how far can I go with software .. for example I completely abandoned the plugin verbs .. eventhough I have IR and Wizoo W2 .. which sounds good ..but I wanted more stability .. so I went and got a lexicon PCM-91 .. which is one monster unit .. but this is good enough for the mix .. not sure what else I should get ...
15th April 2006
Old 15th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Studio

When in doubt, rent a few things and try them out.
15th April 2006
Old 15th April 2006
Lives for gear

My Studio

I have a pair of LA-4's that I like a lot. A distressor works great, 2 even better.
18th April 2006
Old 18th April 2006
Gear addict

if you've got good converters it's sometimes worth the extra conversion stage to go down to the compressor and come back up..

also remember if you have one highend compressor you can use it on multiple things as you track..

I'd much prefer to have one realy nice stereo compressor and the waves stuff than 3 or 4 reasonable ones
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search