The most transparent, clean and hifi sampled piano
New Reply
Subscribe
VCrane
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear nut

The most transparent, clean and hifi sampled piano

I know there are many threads about these things and I've read many of them. But I'm looking for something specific. What sampled grand piano (VST, a Kontakt instrument etc.) is the cleanest?

I've been listening to a lot of demo tracks (especially here: Digital Piano Shootout) and Galaxy II seems to be the best. Its all three pianos are extremely clean and high quality. No hiss, no crackle, not characters of rough mics, amps etc. For example, I absolutely adore the sound of Alicia's Keys, but that has that vintage glitch there - I don't want it for my own productions.

Any others than Galaxy? Ivory's not as good for this, or Garritan IMO - what would you suggest? Naturally the less it costs the better, but I'm ready to pay pretty much as much as it takes.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCrane View Post

Any others than Galaxy? Ivory's not as good for this, or Garrett IMO - what would you suggest? Naturally the less it costs the better, but I'm ready to pay pretty much as much as it takes.
Ivory II is not on that list. And it's a substantial improvement over the first incarnation.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011

Yes, Ivory 2 is very good.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear maniac

I have affordable AcousticSample Kawai Pro and Imperfect Sample White grand.I like them while comparing other party. They are some kind of character piano.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear interested

You might find this of interest here is the link

About the Bluthner piano and Dan Dean and Ernest Cholakis of Pro Audio Vault

This is a comparison of two passages one pianissimo and one forte from Chopin's Scherzo in Bb Minor No. 2 Op 31 (1837) as performed by 7 well know recording artists Alexander Paley, Artur Pizarro, Artur Rubinstein, Mikael Pletnev, Yundi Li, Jennifer Lim and Martin Kasík.

The same passages were also played back on 6 digital piano sampled libraries The Bluthner Digital Model One, Garritan's Steinway, Quantum Leap Pianos, Ivory (Bosendorfer and German D), Pianoteq, and Galaxy (Bosendorfer & Steinway).

These demos were mean to illustrate how close sonically a sampled piano library approaches the sonic qualities of real world acoustic recordings. To accurately hear the differences in each of these recordings one should listen on high quality headphones if you only have speakers then listen to the recording fairly loud so that you can hear the subtle tonal variations.

Ernest Cholakis
Numerical Sound/ProAudioVault
Audio samples and innovative sounds from Numerical Sound
Virtual piano sample library on CD by Pro Audio Vault
VCrane
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Ivory II is not on that list. And it's a substantial improvement over the first incarnation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
Yes, Ivory 2 is very good.
Alright, good to know! I'll check Ivory out again. Though, I also have listened to the samples that are on the manufacturers' sites (Ivory among others), so I'm not juding only based on the site I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongwee View Post
I have affordable AcousticSample Kawai Pro and Imperfect Sample White grand.I like them while comparing other party. They are some kind of character piano.
Thanks for the suggestions! I have ran into Imperfect Samples many times but for some reason always skipped them. Now I started to listen to the samples and they're good! Although, my goal is not to create a realistic image of human playing - my goal is to get the most clean sound that can then be mixed with synthesizers and all to create the desired sound with extreme precision and perfection. Still, these pianos are not out of questions, they are quite interesting. Especially that Fazioli... wow! AcousticSample pianos however don't please me that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Cholakis View Post
You might find this of interest here is the link

About the Bluthner piano and Dan Dean and Ernest Cholakis of Pro Audio Vault

This is a comparison of two passages one pianissimo and one forte from Chopin's Scherzo in Bb Minor No. 2 Op 31 (1837) as performed by 7 well know recording artists Alexander Paley, Artur Pizarro, Artur Rubinstein, Mikael Pletnev, Yundi Li, Jennifer Lim and Martin Kasík.

The same passages were also played back on 6 digital piano sampled libraries The Bluthner Digital Model One, Garritan's Steinway, Quantum Leap Pianos, Ivory (Bosendorfer and German D), Pianoteq, and Galaxy (Bosendorfer & Steinway).

These demos were mean to illustrate how close sonically a sampled piano library approaches the sonic qualities of real world acoustic recordings. To accurately hear the differences in each of these recordings one should listen on high quality headphones if you only have speakers then listen to the recording fairly loud so that you can hear the subtle tonal variations.

Ernest Cholakis
Numerical Sound/ProAudioVault
Audio samples and innovative sounds from Numerical Sound
Virtual piano sample library on CD by Pro Audio Vault
That link is the most interesting, thanks a lot. Readed the text (except the last lines!!!) and downloaded the files. You know, about three hours ago I listened to Alicia Keys' The Element of Freedom to hear how Alicia's Keys perform in action. You were involved in the making of that instrument, right? Can you tell did she really use that instrument on the album instead of the real Yamaha? The claim sounds so strange :P of course if you don't want to tell that, I respect it.

Anyway, now I think I'm gonna resile back to the darkness and silence and take a good listen to all these comparisons.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Vienna Imperial by far.
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Head

I have Ivory 1.5. Very good, but it lacks half-pedal. To get that, I was on the verge of buying Ivory 2. Then I read raves about Vintage D on another board. So I bought it. EXCELLENT.

I still go back to Ivory for the Bosie. But I play the Vintage D most of the time. I highly recommend it, the more so because the OP was emphasizing "clean" sound. Vintage D is that, and more.
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Vienna Imperial by far.
Agreed
VCrane
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear nut

Okay, so I've done a LOT of careful listening and gone through all your suggestions and more. Three seem to stand up:

Galaxy pianos
My original favourites. I still, after a lot of listening, find these among the cleanest sampled pianos. Also, I'm just getting a great vibe when listening to these. Bösendorfer has huge power, baby Blüthner cute jingle and Steinway the go-to sound (haven't done much listening to the Vintage D but I'm not so interested in it anyway). And all without costing the cleanliness and purity. Only thing I'm still thinking is that are the dynamics, the quietest and loudest sounds as good as with my other two favs?

ProAudioVault's The Bluthner Digital Model One
This indeed offers the high quality that they (Ernest haha) claim it does. I'm not sure if the comparison on the web site is totally reliable but anyway, I've listened to stuff from many sources and this stands out with one of the best layerings and reverbings. But does it have the vibe? The fact that only one piano is sampled and that's a Blüthner, not Bösendorfer or Steinway or Fazioli is a small minus for me too.

Imperfect Samples' Fazioli Concert Grand
Simply the fact that it's the huge Fazioli makes me feel orgiastic, and the sound is unbelievable too. Incredible amount of layers, mic positions etc. However, with this I'm thinking if it's a little too 'lively' - if I squeeze all the shit out with Kontakt controls will it still be as clean as I want it to be?

Opinions people?? You have helped me a lot, don't leave me now when the critical decisions are being made!!!!!!!!

P.S. You can still suggest me new pianos. I keep listening.
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
I sure hope it is. Ivory 1 was a disappointment in many ways. Certain registers sounded so dull as almost wooden - and the high velocity samples sounded horribly compressed. The far low end and upper registers were good. I am not sure if I go to Ivory II or look for a good cross-grade to something else.
Cdlt
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear nut

VSL Vienna Imperial - hands down the best out there
Next in the line - Imperfect Sample Fazioli

All these pianos have a specific sound and character, so it is up to you what you prefer...
VCrane
18th November 2011
Old 18th November 2011
Gear nut

It's a fight between Galaxy II and Blüthner Digital Model One... Still listening to everything but these are my favorites. Imperfect Samples is pretty much out of question now, it's not this clean thing, don't know how didn't realize it earlier.Does anybody here own BDMO? Can't find too much user experiences on that.
19th November 2011
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

The Italian Grand in Ivory is quite stunning IMO.

I'm not sure what your benchmark real-life piano is.
As with all our tastes, they have a starting point.
What's yours?
Yamaha? Steinway? Stuart & Sons? Bosendorfer?

Just for the record, a jazz trio album I produced last year got reviewed by the leading critic here (who gave it a rare 3/5 stars) and he never picked it wasn't real and I'm never gonna tell him. It was Ivory 1. And not using the Italian.
Tui
19th November 2011
Old 19th November 2011
Tui
Lives for gear

20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Ivory II for sure. Not big on the Bosendorfer but the Yamaha and Steinway programs are seriously making me consider selling my C7. You got to mate it with a controller you like. (I use an ancient Korg T1 weighted 88).

-R
20th November 2011
Old 20th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Ivory II for sure. Not big on the Bosendorfer but the Yamaha and Steinway programs are seriously making me consider selling my C7. You got to mate it with a controller you like. (I use an ancient Korg T1 weighted 88).

-R
Get Italian Grand II, it's awesome.
21st November 2011
Old 21st November 2011
Gear interested

Sampletekk white grand sounds amazing! And its 50% right now
Tui
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Tui
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry104 View Post
Sampletekk white grand sounds amazing! And its 50% right now
Thanks for mentioning. I didn't know they had so many decent libraries, and they're really quite affordable atm.
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear maniac

Old thread, but thanks for the link. I don't know if the EastWest pianos weren't available to hear on this shootout back when you posted the link, but I don't see how they can be denied as the best-sounding around. Even after all the years since they were sampled, the Bosendorfer Full and the Bechstein Full are still the ones to die for in my opinion. I happen to own them, so maybe I'm a little partial, but give them another listen. The Steinway is lovely too, and there's a Yamaha C7 that comes with the set that's nice for pop stuff. Just a fantatic sample library that I'll never regret spending money I didn't have at the time on.
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

Nice dig.

I agree about the EastWest Bosendorfer. It might be the best piano sound i've had the pleasure of playing.

I can't get it working on Win7 for the life of me, so I had to look elsewhere. I landed on Piano in Blue by Cinesamples. Fantastic sounding piano at a great price. Very flexible too.
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear maniac

I'm not having any trouble on Win7, though I do have a pretty fast PC. I like what I'm hearing from the Piano in Blue samples. It's certainly great for that price! The reason I found this thread was a piano-playing friend was looking for a piano sample library to buy, but the ones she wanted were too expensive. I'll show her this one. Thanks!

Oops. Just noticed it needs the full version of Kontakt which puts it way over the top for her, but thanks.
Tui
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Tui
Lives for gear

Piano in Blue is great and one of my favourites.

Alicia's Keys has a wonderful, resonant tone. It is compatible with Kontakt Player and quite affordable, too.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

EWQL Pianos are the best I have tried (I have tried almost all of them)
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear maniac

Another cool one is Pianoteq's Bluthner add-on. It's a modelled piano rather than samples, and as far as tone I don't feel it's up to the best sample libraries, but the subtleties of having all 127 velocity levels rather than the 10 or so that come with sample libraries make it a fun one to play. It also does the soft pedal thing really well. And the demo never expires. It only times out after about 20 minutes and you have to reload. I have no reason to buy it, but I do find it interesting. It's pretty expensive with the add-ons though.

edit: actually maybe it's the D4 that comes with Pianoteq that I like. I forget. It's been a while since I played with it.
Sky
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm liking Ivory II American Concert D. Not sure if I would describe it as clean, but definitely responsive and believable.

Sky
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I'm liking Ivory II American Concert D. Not sure if I would describe it as clean, but definitely responsive and believable.

Sky
Hmmm. Just listened online through laptop speakers. That does sound like a very nice one.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search