Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
dafron
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Head

Logic Studio 9 vs Pro Tools vs Sonar X1 Producer

Looking for a DAW for doing live recording and producing. I've played about with Logic but find it a bit confusing. I've just watched a video on Sonar x1 Producer and it looks pretty good, it's just a pain I intend to use macs rather than Windows PC's.

From experience, which of these three would you go for and why?
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear interested

Ive used Sonar and Logic and found Sonar much more productive.
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

It honestly doesn't matter, if you're making music you're making music.

I own Logic 9 and Pro Tools 10, never used Sonar.

If you are going to be sharing sessions with other people use logic or PT, otherwise just use whichever you think looks the most user friendly.

Apogee Quartet
Mac OSX 10.9.1
Pro Tools 10/11
Logic 10.0.5
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptedMinds View Post
Agreed (and yes, I've used both too), but Sonar X1 is so full of bugs, it's practically unusable in a professional setting. My personal suggestion: Cubase 6.
dafron
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptedMinds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karp47 View Post
It honestly doesn't matter, if you're making music you're making music.

I own Logic 9 and Pro Tools 10, never used Sonar.

If you are going to be sharing sessions with other people use logic or PT, otherwise just use whichever you think looks the most user friendly.
Thanks for the replies. From what I've seen of Sonar Producer, it does look a hell of a lot more 'user friendly' than Logic. I also like the sound of the plugins they mention in their promo video. If only they made a Mac version.

I won't be sharing sessions with other people. I will basically have a laptop that I will be doing the 'on the road' recording on, then transferring the files to a system in my home studio to 'produce'.

I'm very new to recording as well so it's all experimental at the moment.

In terms of price as well, I can get Logic Studio 9 from the student store for £125 whereas Sonar Producer X1 is about £285.

I don't mind spending the extra money but my preference is towards a Mac system as that's what my current laptop is.

Decisions, decisions...
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

If you are using a laptop for live recording, nothing beats Reaper, in my opinion. It is light (a few MB), and starts within a blink (literally). The price is extremely reasonable. No need for USB dongles. You can actually use it for full mix, but that's where people have some opinions.
dafron
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
If you are using a laptop for live recording, nothing beats Reaper, in my opinion. It is light (a few MB), and starts within a blink (literally). The price is extremely reasonable. No need for USB dongles. You can actually use it for full mix, but that's where people have some opinions.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did look at Reaper but don't really like it. I also know it might be lazy but I don't really fancy having to manually import loads of tracks every time I want to mix in whichever DAW I choose.

Good program though for guys on a tight budget
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear interested

I've used Sonar for years, and I currenty use and like Sonar X1. I typically only use a few virtual instrument tracks for drums and keys, so I don't seem to come across the bugs that the heavy midi users complain about. I also do it for fun, so I wouldn't claim that Sonar is good enough for pro use.

However, if I owned a nice Macbook, I would skip Sonar and invest the time to learn Logic. Some pro producers use only the stock plugins in Logic and make hit records - at least according to some of the youtube interviews that I've seen.
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear nut

Cool

Having started on Protools, Switched to Sonar prior to making the move to Apple about three years ago. If I where still on PC I would still be on Sonar. feature packed DAW. I really enjoy the integration with Logic and Apple......PT is an awesome DAW on mac and if you PC runs it PT is great on PC as well. I just was not a fan of DIGI/AVID business model with PT. all three are great and it comes down to a matter of preference. If I where starting today I would most likely go with Reaper and a good plug in bundle.
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear nut

studio one > logic

never tried sonar
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear maniac

Logic Hump.

Hello

Once you get over the Logic hump you will find the program to be quite an amazing piece of software. Well worth the effort.

Here is a good 'over the hump' aid. (just get the whole bundle).

Logic Pro & Express Tutorial-Videos - macProVideo.com

Regards

Krzysztof
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase

easy to use, cross-platform, full-featured
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using Sonar (X1) and just recently bought Pro Tools MP9. Pro Tools will be OK once I learn it but compared to learning Sonar, Pro Tools seems to "complicate the ham sandwich". I was able to use Sonar, although on a probably elementry basis without any special training. Not so with PT, It is going to take some training before I can use some basic recording (I am going through the Groove 3 PT9 Tutorials).

Sonar 8.5.3 is a more stable and less buggy version, although all the DAWs have bugs. I see a lot of complaints on the Sonar forum and I see a lot of complaints on the Pro Tools forum.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Association
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear nut

There's one place you won't see a lot of complaints, the Presonus forums.
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoifbysea View Post
There's one place you won't see a lot of complaints, the Presonus forums.
.... and that's b/c there aren't a lot of users.
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Just got the new P4CK $39.95, Comprressor for the improved[very IMO]Pro Channel.

After complaining yesterday I think X1 is really getting there.

The deal is,Expanded has definitely improved X1,so unless "you" have expanded[?], its like you dont really know what X1 is REALLY like

Seriously though,yes they should not have released X1 at all, until the FULL Pro Channel strip was complete, as it is now[with the "Soft Tube"and the P4CK Compressor] Those "2" really move it to another level

And NOW there is the "Concrete Limiter",I DO NOT need more tools,and soon is X1d
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Gear interested

I started with garageband, but got taught on sonar,
I havent tried pro tools, I've tried Cubase but i use Logic all the time

I find Logic the most user friendly, Cubase isnt appealing enough to a beginner
I havent tried pro tools yet so dont give me grief (i know its amazing :P )

Id go with Logic for now
15th November 2011
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

In order of preference:

Pro Tools
Reaper
Logic
Studio One
Cubase
Sonar
Samplitude/Sequioa
18th November 2011
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Sonar for me. X1 is great, and if you have the latest version, X1C, you should have no problems with bugs. I like Reaper, as well, but feel more inspired and a bit faster in Sonar. Anxious to see what they come up with next.
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Head

Digital Performer

I know this wasn't part of the topic but since we are comparing DAWs here, what does everyone think of Digital Performer? I currently use Sonar X1...and it has CRABS! I haven't updated to X1C yet. So it currently has a few bugs. We'll see how that goes. However, I've worked in a studio down the street that uses DP6 (for Mac of course) and it seems to rock. Any thoughts?

BTW, I was talking to an engineer buddy of mine who uses Pro Tools HD in his pro studio. He, like many, swears by Mac and very much dogs on Windows/DOS based systems (speaking of instability etc). Are Linux based systems (i.e. - Macs) THAT much better simply due to the platform? Hasn't Windows 7 made large strides? I am currently a PC (XP Pro) guy, and have been for years (mainly due to price) but I do wonder if I should make the switch to Mac.
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to GIM Productions
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

X1D update in Feb!

Edit: Im curious but don't want to wreck a good thing as X1c Expanded[all non-Ilok modules] is TOTALLY solid here.

To update or not,I'm guessing it's possible to go back to "C",if "D" introduces weirdness?

Iv'e updated every other time,except for the soundcloud fix.

Any idea as to what X1"D" will add??
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear interested

I own Logic, PT, Sonar, & Cubase....IMO Logic has the best workflow and fastest process when it comes to Real time effects...PT has the best sound quality but Is Complicated at 1st..and im not a fan of their workflow..and they overpriced the products not included...Cubase has the best Midi..and reminds me of a PC version of Logic...Sonar was my 1st DAW..i love sonar but it always crashed whenever i was in middle of a session which becomes irritating..but every since they re-invented with the 2.0 Daw I love it...There is No such thing as "The Best Recording Program" it depends on what makes the user Most comfortable it also varies on whether your a Mixer, Producer, etc.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to shahrin
IM using Cubase for my work but some times I use logic,Pro tools,Ableton,Sonar,Studio one and Reason for experiment,Pro tools sounds great,Logic with great plugins Sonar xi doing great job and overall Cubase 6 is very easy to use and for midi editing it's great...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search