Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 won't connect to Firewire
Old 13th October 2011
Gear interested

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 won't connect to Firewire

I've scanned the forum to make sure I wasn't reposting, if I am, my apologies. I'm at wits end though.

I upgraded my studio to Pro Tools 9, a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, and a brand new custom built PC. I opted for an outboard Firewire 400 card (no combo USB or 400/800). So far I have tried 3 different cards and can't get any of them to recognize the LS56. I have it on the Legacy driver and have tried every other driver on each card I've tried. Also tried a new Firewire cable in hope that it was something simple. I'm a stickler for setting up my computer to the specs the manufacturers recommend in order to optimize my system so I'm lost. Any ideas or is this a random faulty interface?? Thanks so much.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

sounds faulty.. i havent had any probs with my interface being recognised and installing however i have had a few instances where i'll be doing something and then go to change a setting or something will happen and suddenly the mix control doesnt see the interface anymore until i power cycle it.. its happened on two machines ive used so it appears to be something with the interface and not the firewire cards i've used., its manageable at the moment but if it gets worse i'll be annoyed.. In your case if its not being recognised at all i would presume its a faulty unit, that's assuming the firewire cards operate other devices ok..
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

What OS? Is it recognized in the OS? And not just PT? More details please.
Old 13th October 2011
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthAndGrace View Post
I've scanned the forum to make sure I wasn't reposting, if I am, my apologies. I'm at wits end though.

I upgraded my studio to Pro Tools 9, a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, and a brand new custom built PC. I opted for an outboard Firewire 400 card (no combo USB or 400/800). So far I have tried 3 different cards and can't get any of them to recognize the LS56. I have it on the Legacy driver and have tried every other driver on each card I've tried. Also tried a new Firewire cable in hope that it was something simple. I'm a stickler for setting up my computer to the specs the manufacturers recommend in order to optimize my system so I'm lost. Any ideas or is this a random faulty interface?? Thanks so much.
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your issues.

Unfortunately it sounds as though the Liquid Saffire 56 may have a hardware fault. Is it recognised at all in device manager?

Do the FireWire cards have Texas Instruments or VIA chipsets?

Do you have another system that you can try it on?

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

I dont want to hijack the thread but im wondering, Chris do you know if focusrite is aware of the scenario i posted where the interface will loose communication with windows and suddenly mix control says there is no hardware detected ? When that happens you have to power cycle for it to be seen again.. It happens on two of my machines, one has a TI chipset and the other is a generic firewire card i think.. Last time it happened when i tried to change sync and samplerate settings, i cant remember all the instances where it has done it before that but something tells me the samplerate buffer settings is where it happens most..

Aside from that im very pleased with the unit.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

U need TI firewire
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthAndGrace View Post

So what's is the final of a situation? Is it solved somehow???
Old 24th January 2012
Gear interested

Resolved

It's all good. The unit was faulty. Between the combined efforts of two of Focusrite's finest, Jeff & Paul, I got a brand new unit and it is working fine. Thanks for all the info. Needless to say, I'm really glad I wasn't going crazy or overlooking something. Plus they got the new one to me in just a few days after I mailed the old one out. I heart Focusrite!
Old 25th January 2012
yeah - Focusrite - has great support. their drivers suck from time to time, but they are "all over it"
Old 15th March 2012
Gear interested

I had the faulty Saffire 56 too. I just gave it to a sound repair service. They replaced FW chips for 110$ (TI). Chips are much better than original. Work with all versions of 1394 drivers, not only legacy. More stable, more flexible.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

You must have the TI firewire chipset in order to run the Saffire series. If you're using anything else, it just won't work.

I'll second that Focusrite tech support is great!
Old 21st March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
You must have the TI firewire chipset in order to run the Saffire series. If you're using anything else, it just won't work.

I'll second that Focusrite tech support is great!
Worked fine with VIA, and still works) With new chips in the device is much better.
Old 27th March 2012
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarthop View Post
I had the faulty Saffire 56 too. I just gave it to a sound repair service. They replaced FW chips for 110$ (TI). Chips are much better than original. Work with all versions of 1394 drivers, not only legacy. More stable, more flexible.
We're not aware of any different chips that change how the factory chip works. It's likely that the difference in performance is down to other system specific factors.

Chris
Focusrite
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not completely true. I ran mine on a Via card without issue. Here's the compatibility document:
http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/...patibility.pdf

todd
Old 8th June 2012
Gear interested

same problem also... when i'm working with protools, it suddenly goes NO HARDWARE DETECTED
Old 15th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by oweng View Post
yeah - Focusrite - has great support. their drivers suck from time to time, but they are "all over it"
That's like saying: "I love my car, even though the brakes don't always work."
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search